[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
name more atmospheric boss battle than this protip: you cant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 10
File: Deacons of the deep.jpg (395 KB, 960x530) Image search: [Google]
Deacons of the deep.jpg
395 KB, 960x530
name more atmospheric boss battle than this

protip: you cant
>>
File: Mandatory Souls Games.jpg (306 KB, 1198x827) Image search: [Google]
Mandatory Souls Games.jpg
306 KB, 1198x827
Anything in the games that actually have atmosphere.
>>
File: GarlAstraea_zps447cb5e6.jpg (35 KB, 640x450) Image search: [Google]
GarlAstraea_zps447cb5e6.jpg
35 KB, 640x450
>>
File: Yunalesca_boss_first_form.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Yunalesca_boss_first_form.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>337699449
>>
i dont know maybe the lord of cinder retard
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 511x289) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 511x289
>>337699636

Still one of the best.

DeS was the earliest game but most complete. It doesn't have a Lost Izalith/Profaned Capital.
>>
>>337699872
>Profaned Capital

Just because its short doesn't mean its bad. And it certainly doesn't mean its as bad as Lost Izalith.
>>
>>337699626

Atmosphere is a meme. Dark environments is all it takes for faggots to spout "muh atmuhsphere" Latria has a pitch black skybox and it's hailed as the most atmospheric level ever made.
>>
>>
>>337700802
The problem is mainly that people who use atmosphere in their arguments always fail to realise that atmosphere doesn't neccesarily mean horror or dark/scary

Fable 2 as an example, that game had a very unique british/fairy tale atmosphere that was handled delightfully, but the somewhat haunting parts were emphasised even more so, the sacrifice, the lost to hobs son part, but these being notable doesn't mean the rest of the game lacks atmosphere, or does it bad. As an example, the 10 years segment in isolation in the tower isn't horror based, rather it's incredibly oppressive, and almost somewhat sad, but the atmosphere is handled great as you progress with the commandant and the only friend you gain losing his mind.

Dark Souls in particular has one of the most atmospherically satisfying levels, if not the most striking, ash lake, the huge monolithic trees, the ominous and stoic chanting, the long thin beach with minimal to distract, other than the hydra and clams, it's both very unique and strange compared to the rest of the game.

It's just disappointing that I never see us of non-horror atmosphere ever bought up in these discussions.

The OP rightfully noted that the deacons boss fight, the congregation of holy church members in the large open grave area, the large circling area design, the huge centerpiece, the church organ music playing, developing as the archdeacon comes down and summons the black cloud, is handled masterfully, but it won't go discussed because it's not directly a horror type use of atmosphere.

Bloodborne uses a more welcoming and restful atmospheric effect in the hunters dream which is fantastically done, the almost sleep inducing slow violins aren't boring, but genuinely much more passive than the rest of the games horror soaked theme, and the atmospheric contrast is fantastic, and yet I rarely if ever see it bought up in comparison to tower of latria's relatively simple use of atmospheric value, or the rest of bloodborne.
>>
>>337699449
I wish there was a version of the OST that kept the Archdeacon's howling. Shit's great
>>
>>337702758
WHY CANT I TAKE HIS STAFF?

RREEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (26 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
26 KB, 480x360
That was hard.
>>
>>337699449
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=932mooNi5ak
>Be told to defeat a Arms Fortress
>the ones you fought before were kinda big but nothing crazy (keep in mind your mech is about 10mt tall)
>it comes into viewing distance

Theme is top notch too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2tyuG3Mjm0
>>
File: Oceiros.png (95 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
Oceiros.png
95 KB, 240x240
Very sad boss fight overall, it was fantastic how he becomes like a dragon in his rage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4KjLWUZkbU
>>
>>337704047

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6vCZdcp6hE
>>
File: Disgust.gif (467 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Disgust.gif
467 KB, 400x300
>>337704198
>:14
>>
File: reaper-saren-1.png (1021 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
reaper-saren-1.png
1021 KB, 1280x720
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3CjR4T1GqA
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.