[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what do you do with Quake?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
Bethsda wants you to make the new Quake... what do you do with it?

Cthulhu monsters? Strog? multiplayer arena? singleplayer?
>>
>>337695515

I'ld make AVP3 instead.
>>
Hire Romero and McGee as level designers, anyone else simply would not do.
>>
>>337695515
Dungeon crawler RPG with cthulhian monsters, like the original design doc for the game.
>>
>>337695515
Tactics game where you play as the Strog.
>>
Multiplayer should be a perfect clone of CPMA with whatever graphics they come up with for the singleplayer.
>>
>>337695718
This guy gets it. Shame that VQ3 was a standard for tournaments before the game died completely.

CPMA is the purest, highest skillcap esport game ever created and will probably never be topped.
>>
>>337695620
>romero as level designer

He can be a level coordinator but his episode falls behind McGee's + Tim Willits + Willit's sister super trio that made the first episode. Sandy's episode was also better than Romero's.
>>
>>337696719
I liked Romero's episode.

Feels like a natural evolution of Doom's level design, it's especially apparent in E2M1.
>>
>>337696719
Sorry, but no. Episode 4 is shit, very boring and samey architecture. Encounters that rely on, and are trivialized by, powerups placed in plain sight. Subpar flow that can lead to longer backtracking compared to the other episodes.
>>
>>337696872
It seemed to me like Romero's maps were mostly playing it safe. Maps by others seemed to push for greater experimentation and be less predictable making it more dangerous to venture. Traps are essential and I don't imagine Quake without them.

His episode was enjoyable but didn't make as great impact on me.
>>
>>337695515
Cthulhu monsters.
Painkiller style weapons
No tedious sci-fi bullshit
Left 4 Dead style multiplayer with classes
>>
>>337695515
It should be named Quake V and the roman V as part of the nail. It shouldn't be named QUAKE or any bullshit.
>>
>>337698000
>only just realised it's a nail
After all this time.
mind fucking blown.
>>
File: latest[1].png (132 KB, 361x315) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
132 KB, 361x315
>>337698086
>NAILGUN AMMO
>NIN
>NINE INCH NAILS
>>
>>337695515
Quake blew. It's basically pergatory. It was released too late to be as influential as doom or wolf and it was released too early to be the tech powerhouse unreal was. Quake 3 speed increase was essentially them trying to play catch up to unreal
>>
File: Quake2box[1].jpg (22 KB, 328x400) Image search: [Google]
Quake2box[1].jpg
22 KB, 328x400
>>337698086
also, quake 2 has two nails.
>>
>>337698464
despite having no nailguns at all

god quake 2 sucked
>>
>>337697838
This. And NIИ soundtrack.
>>
>>337698368
Wow you totally didn't just learn that from the Ahoy video
>>
>>337698761
what?

that was a well known fact for years
>>
>>337698761
stop being mocking
>>
File: N72KlTK.webm (287 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
N72KlTK.webm
287 KB, 720x404
more lovecraftian horror pls
>>
>>337695515
>what do you do with it?
Keep Nu-id away from it.
>Cthulhu monsters?
Yeah, why not.
>Strog?
Yeah, they can come along for the ride if there's enough development time and talent to mix the themes. (Not bloody likely, so I'd prioritise the spooky shit)
> multiplayer arena?
It's fucken Quake.
>singleplayer?
That's important too.

And yeah, get some classic Quake map designers, this includes Romero but I'd fill his cubicle with Daikatana ad posters so his ego doesn't get the best of him.

Engine wise, just molest the corpse of Quake 3 source code, slap in some high resolution textures and call it a day. Frankly anything else would just hold the game back.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.