[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So What the Fuck is this Game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 12
File: no-mans-sky-featured-image.jpg (382 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
no-mans-sky-featured-image.jpg
382 KB, 1024x682
TL;DR version: Is No Man's Sky just a may may or is it supposed to be good?

So what the fuck is this game supposed to be? is it an exploration game, is it a space adventure, is it an updated minecraft, what is this shit? Despite this game coming out in a month I still have no fucking idea what it's supposed to be, all I'm hearing is buzzwords:
>muh procedural generation
>muh infinite playability
>muh Stephen Colbert

But what is this game actually supposed to be? Is it multiplayer? Is it a sandbox MMO?

Who the fuck has tried this game and/or knows shit all about it? I feel like it's going to be the letdown of 2016.
>>
Bumparino because I have seen nothing on /v/ about this game since it was announced.
>>
They created some pre-randomly generated planets for you to explore and you'll get to fly around and be a faggot and suck dick until you reach the center of the galaxy and then you kill yourself.
>>
>>337688652
kappa
>>
>>337688672

This is literally what my understanding of the game is.

So is it a fucking circlejerk? Like is it multiplayer exploration quest or some shit?

If I just point myself in a direction and accelerate do I just go forever?
>>
>>337688672

I'm watching a playthrough right now and still have no idea what the point of this game is.

>"You explore, create, survive and trade"

Meaning...?
>>
>>337688927

They claim that the galaxy has like 660k places to explore or something but they say its not randomly generated which could only mean that they are already pre-randomly generated because there is not enough time in the world to sit down and create 660k unique planets or whatever.
>>
>>337688927
Your ship can only go so far. So you need to upgrade it for more fuel and shit. So you dig around on the planets to find materials for it
>>
>>337689173

Is it multiplayer or just solo?
>>
>>337689360

I'm not entirely sure. They were saying something about how you can run into other players(rarely) originally but then I saw other anons talking about how they removed it completely so you might want to look that up for yourself.
>>
>>337688672
This, it will just be like a 3d starbound, planets retextured in different colours with slight veriation on animal life. Will be fun for an hour or so then you'll notice everything is really the same.
>>
>>337688410
no multiplayer, no buy
fuck em, they literally have NO FUCKING CLUE what people want.
>>
Just get Rodina instead.
>>
>>337689471

Will do.

10 minutes into a playthrough and still have no fucking idea what is supposed to happen in the game.
>>
>>337688410
it's the epitome of "wide as a ocean, deep as a puddle"
>>
>>337688410
Walking simulator with space travel, no form of building tangible things outside of crafting a new gun or armor, it's randomly generated based on a seed everybody has so everyone's galaxy is the same. Planets consist of literally just different colors,a few different biomes, and a few reskinned animals.

Think minecraft without building
>>
>>337689173
things only get generated when you are close to them
once you move away, everything will be forgotten and regenerated from scratch once you revisit old places

>>337689360
solo only
>>
File: Diplo.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Diplo.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>337689173
Looking at the screenshots, they don't even have enough creativity to to make one unique and interesting planet.
>>
File: Noctis_Screenshot.png (50 KB, 916x200) Image search: [Google]
Noctis_Screenshot.png
50 KB, 916x200
Noctis > No man's sky
>>
I have no idea what to think anymore. Everything we've seen in trailers points to this being just an exploration game, but the devs and others have been repeatedly saying that there is a hell of a lot more they don't want to show us so we have to figure it out ourselves.

I'm definitely expecting it to be nothing, but I really hope it'll be like they're saying.
>>
>>337688410
It has universe lore and caves so I'm in
>>
>>337690179
now THAT looks like gargabe
>>
>>337688410
> Character cannot run
literally walking sim
>>
If this game had construction, diplomacy, manageable allies, and a WIDE variance on ships, it would potentially be great.

If this game had immeasurable moddability and was open for almost anything to be put into it, it would potentially be great.

If this game was story-driven and these 660K planets had a vast degree of lore of the setting in them, it would potentially be great.

However, they have made it clear that it is none of these things. So it is not potentially great. It is almost assuredly trash, and if our recent trailers have anything to tell us, the novelty of "SO FAR IN SPACE OH MY GOOOOD" will wear off within the hour.
>>
>>337690515
>this fanboy mentality

Kill yourself, NMS isn't even out yet.
>>
What's the point of exploring in real life?

I personally love these games where you don't really have a "purpose". I guess that's why I have like 1000 hours in MemeZ just exploring. I find the trailer looks pretty good.

Definitely getting this game for me. Idk about you but I'll take it.
>>
>>337690662
Tried starbound ? after a few planets you realise they are all the same with different colours. Doesn't feel like you're exploring.
>>
>>337690595
I don't even care about No man's sky, not like I can even play any of this shit, but they both look bad
/v/ is so weird with it's "If you're not with us, you're with them" mentality and everything
>>
>>337690662
>What's the point of exploring in real life?

That there are actual other human beings to talk to, make relationships with, and share the human condition with.

To see real places, touch nature, eat new foods, explore what you haven't seen, learn about culture.

exploring in a videogame literally boils down to:

"ah, hey man did you see that statue on that planet?"
"Yeh"
"yeh, it was neat"
>>
>>337690662
>What's the point of exploring in real life?

You are a retard
>>
>>337690946

basically
>>
>go to planet
>wow you discovered a new randomly genereated alien species and it's given a randomly generated name to show that YOU found it
>too bad nobody else will see this planet or it's life
>find resources and upgrade your ship to go farther
>discover a new randomly generated planet woooaaahh
>it looks like the last one but the grass is blue holy shit
>get more resources
>find a new planet that is so special because you found it and it looks like all the others but the trees have putple leaves and the alien species have TWO TAILS WOAH FUCK

repeat until you finally stop playing this piece of shit
>>
File: dandi wa.png (616 KB, 1100x401) Image search: [Google]
dandi wa.png
616 KB, 1100x401
>>337690075
This. I want to see some retro sci-fi wacky looking shit. Similar to like Space Dandy or Flash Gordon.
>>
>>337691131
>repeat until you finally stop playing this piece of shit
but it goes on forever you can never stop playing!
>>
>>337688410
>>337688652
>>337689150
>>337689670
>>337690559
So is op a reverse shill now? It's not hard to figure out what this game is about. Read this.
https://m.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4didkh/what_do_you_do_in_no_mans_sky_and_other_questions/
>>
>>337690075
> place animals for screenshot
> gameplay videos never populied like in screenshot
>>
>>337689591
>>337689591

Lmfao

This faggot just said what?

So I guess the millions of people playing Elite Dangerous / Star Citizen / Name Your Space Sim Here Faggot, AREN'T a viable market to build a game over?

I swear to God, you COD faggots get worse every year.
>>
>>337691252
>You see? I can prove to you how much I'm not a shill for No Man's Sky by linking you to Reddit after doing lengthy "research" from a Developer's post!
>>
>>337691336

Your reading comprehension is fucking terrible, you faggot
>>
File: 1463251092545.png (92 KB, 253x224) Image search: [Google]
1463251092545.png
92 KB, 253x224
What do you even DO in this game?

It's the same with Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous, there's not stuff to DO in the game

I never even understood what people do in Eve, and every time I asked people they just told me "THERE'S ALL SORTS OF DIFFERENT THINGS TO DO DEPENDS WHAT YOU LIKE" without ever actually telling me
>>
>>337691252

This entire thread is marketing-speak.

>So tell me about the combat then. In the trailers I watched I’ve seen little more than a gun, is your spaceship even equipped with lasers?

>The universe is dangerous, and you’ll be getting into combat situations a lot more than any trailer would let on. Any unknown quantity could be an ever present danger. How do you defend yourself?

It's written like a fucking press release

>Something big about this game is “Procedural Generation” from what I hear, so why do we know so much about Sentinels?

>Sentinels are a fixed factor, they’re the same throughout the universe. This is because they have a lore woven into the story behind No Man’s Sky...

literal shilling
>>
>>337689360
massive multiplayer, build guilds, claim planets, end of game most planets claimed and whoever claims center is internet memegame king
>>
>>337691509

At least in Elite Dangerous (from what I can tell) there's spaceship combat. If it's done well, at 30 buck on steam that's nearly worth the price of admission.
>>
>>337691616

That's what they said at the beginning of their press blitz, but as it's gotten closer to release they are talking way less about stuff like that, and all gameplay is solo they've shown.

I understand that there aren't people playing it in mass numbers, but they haven't shown any form of coop.
>>
>>337691675
You mean there ISN'T spaceship combat in No Man's Sky?
>>
>>337691796
my mistake, sinlgeplayer but you're still laying claim to whichever planets you discover first

Minecraft with planets and no building.

Remember minecraft? What did people even DO in that game?
>>
>>337691796
I mean, the odds of actually running into another player are incredibly slim. It makes sense that they aren't showing co-op...

Now, I really hope that there is a way to at least meet up with your friends. That'll dampen the experience for me
>>
>>337692045
>sinlgeplayer but you're still laying claim to whichever planets you discover first

So you get to name everything
>>
So this might be a dumb question:

How hard would it be to code some npc factions to fight each other and expand and shit in the background while you your own thing? I guess the memory (if it's true that muh 5 billion years but I'm guessing it'll actually just be like 40 places to see at most). You could do it so the game starts them in different parts of the galaxy and has a different combo of the preset factions upon each new game possibly.

Anyway, as for this game, seems like it would be dope to play high as fuck listening to some bossa nova but I don't have time for that anymore so guess I'll have to pass
>>
>>337692021
There is. Whoever you replied to is just an idiot

>>337692189
The same goes for you. The game is multiplayer, there's just a low chance of actually running into someone.
>>
>>337691250
Yeah it sounds great! Just like how The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim™ had infinite quests!
>>
File: image_4 (1).jpg (44 KB, 368x379) Image search: [Google]
image_4 (1).jpg
44 KB, 368x379
>>337692189
>mfw thousands of planets named "Hitler did nothing wrong"
>>
>>337691252
This is shit and non-informative.
>>
>>337692362
How fucking original
>>
>>337692362

Hitler Did Nothing Wrong XXXIV
>>
>>337692194
>How hard would it be to code some npc factions to fight each other and expand and shit in the background while you your own thing?
Exactly that is in the game already. Different regions of space will have different factions, pirates are a constant.
>>
But what is the actual gameplay? Do you just land on a planet, look at the pretty scenery, leave and repeat?
>>
Is there a reason NMS brings out some of the stupidest people on /v/ to shitpost?
>>
This game would be amazing for virtual reality. Other than that it looks fucking boring.
>>
>>337692362
Profanity filters will prevent this. People will also get banned for inappropriate naming.
>inb4 h!tl0r did nothing wrong
>>
>>337692704
Because its a hyped autism game
and hype is only for retards.
>>
>>337692657
I'm not talking about some black ass Somalian space nigger pirates in their rinky dink ship shooting at you every once in a while, I'm talking about factions that colonize planets, build cities, go to war with each other; that sort of shit.

Who gives a fuck about some faction if they don't do anything substantial or interesting
>>
>>337692872
>furthering my point
>>
Everyone talking about Multiplayer:

>Sounds sweet, so my friend can see all the lewd things I’ve drawn in the sand? Nice.

>Yes, but don’t expect much more than that. No Man’s Sky at its heart is a single player experience, it’s just set in a multiplayer universe. You can find your friends, but there’s no interaction to be had, no trading, no messaging system, etc. you can kill them if you’d like – but that wouldn’t accomplish much if you’re after a co-operative experience.

Welp...
>>
>>337692021
It's probably not as deep as Elite. My guess it it controls more like Afterburner.
>>
>>337692670
I keep hearing about some trade thing.
My assumption is that you're getting resources from the planetes to upgrade your ship, to get to the center of the universe.
In the meantime, you could stop a bit and look at a planet with blue grass, or try and attack a monster and fight the robot police, while you continue to drift alone in space, your goal in mind, no player in sight.
I'm actually as bitter about this game as I was about Spore.
>>
>>337693003

Real talk, is Elite fun.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on it.
>>
File: 1383482415374.gif (927 KB, 250x230) Image search: [Google]
1383482415374.gif
927 KB, 250x230
>>337692982
So the game is about going to a planet, landing, refueling your ship, and then repeating it to the next planet?
And they do not expect you to meet or interact with other players ever?

And the press is hyping this shit non-game so hard?
>>
>>337693221

This is what happens when you start calling video games art.
>>
>>337693116
I liked Spore, honestly. Sure, I was pissed as hell when I learned about all the cut content, but I thought it was good for what it was.
>>
>>337693198

If your definition of fun is grinding for hours and hours, then yes. The only viable way to make money, which you need to progress, is trading for days on end. You can earn by bounty hunting but it will take twice as long as trading, exploring will take you four times as long as trading, and mining is so insanely tedious you will feel like a zombie (and doesn't have the same profit margins as the others).
>>
>>337693326
So did I, honestly.
It was a nice time waster once I played it a bit later with my young cousins.
This game however, doesn't seem like anything special or interesting.
I'm not especially into space adventures, and was only interested at first because I thought it'd actually be a game with very novel ideas, which no longer seems to be the case.
>>
>>337693221

Well that's the fucking thing.

Because they ARE trying to hype it as a solo-play game AND multiplayer game simultaneously.

It's confusing as fuck

>Yes it's Solo exploration and discovery
>bu...but you're on a multiplayer server where people can see what you've named!
>But Every planet is DIFFERENT so when people come to YOUR planet they see YOUR named animals
>BECAUSE there are 16 quadrillion planets
>AND everything is procedurally generated
>BUT not too different because that would be weird

Almost every claim they make they backpedal on like crazy.
>>
>>337692932
Sorry for trying to answer your question. Didn't ask for your fucking wishlist. This game is not that so you can go back to cod xxxblazeit420xxx
>>
>>337688410
BILLIONS OF PLANETS.

And they're all boring.
>>
Who else here will play like a "serious" explorer? with proper naming of species and shit?
I will not kill a single creature! Promise!
>>
I am 100% sure that NMS will have less planet diversity than Outer Wilds, an indie game with like 4 planets.
>>
>>337691004
Well the context behind that is that I am an actual explorer. I go into those holes in the ground (that people apparantly fear) and explore those caves and shit. Of course I need to hike up mountains etc etc.

>>337690946
And no the joy isn't talking to people about it, that's kinda pathetic. It's literally just going there and experiencing it for yourself and then feeling kind of humbled at how grand the place is.
It's really exhilarating.

>>337691004
Nice damage control.
>>
>>337694607

I really don't have anything to say to this other than: if you're actually humbled by exploring a video game and are unironically comparing it to experiencing the world, you are the saddest individual alive and a total embarrassment to the human race.
>>
>>337692194

>mount & blade
>IN SPACE
>>
>>337694932
You really can't read can't you.
I said that's the joy of exploring in the real world.
> real world.

Vidya exploring (which is a simulation of that) for me is extreme cases that I'll never get to do in real life. Do I literally need to spell it out for you?

This game is about space exploration, not something you can just pack up some bags and trek.

Jesus Christ, you're like a bad troll but you're not even trolling.
>>
>>337695256
>>
>>337695351

>>337690946
>exploring in a videogame literally boils down to:
>"ah, hey man did you see that statue on that planet?"
>"Yeh"
>"yeh, it was neat"

>>337694607
>And no the joy isn't talking to people about it, that's kinda pathetic. It's literally just going there and experiencing it for yourself and then feeling kind of humbled at how grand the place is.
>It's really exhilarating.

How again are you not pathetic?
>>
>>337695256

How is it that every person on /v/ has a better idea for a video games than any video game dev has from the last 5 years?
>>
File: 1340192554197.png (336 KB, 646x720) Image search: [Google]
1340192554197.png
336 KB, 646x720
>>337692194
>seems like it would be dope to play high as fuck listening to some bossa nova
My fucking nigga
>>
>>337688410
It's likely the next Spore waiting to happen
>>
File: Hourglass.png (46 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Hourglass.png
46 KB, 250x250
>No Man's Sky will have billions of boring, generic planets
>Meanwhile a shitty indie game has cool shit like pic related

No Man's Sky, and literally all procedurally generated universe explorers are absolute garbage. They could have made a cool game if they focused on a few mechanics. Instead, they spread themselves too thin and it's going to be terrible.
>>
THIS IS WHAT THE GAMES ABOUT

You start out weak and at the edge of the universe. You have to visit planets and gather resources so you can create better equipment. The better equipment you have, the deeper you can travel in to the universe. Along the way you'll make allies with different species who will sell you different supplies you may need and help you out in space battles. It's important to make allies because if you die in the game, your ship and gear is gone. All your upgrades from resources collected, all the upgrades you made on your ship, it's all gone if you die. In short, the point is to visit planets to gather resources for upgrades, travel deeper in to the universe with upgraded equipment, reach center of the galaxy without dying.
>>
>>337688410
>So What the Fuck is this Game
Minecraft but in space
>>
>>337697472
This right here. I was interested in NMS up until I saw the 'Explore a gorillion planets' shit.
>>
>>337688410

Spore: Minecraft edition
>>
>>337695587
All this site can do is spill ad hominem arguments.
Why not argue his point rather than attack his person? Are you that incapable of talking to someone?

Ironic how your whole ad hominem attack was based around human interaction.

And what's even your point?. I too explore sometimes and I do it by myself and don't really mention it to people. You're really gonna take a stance from someone who only plays Vidya and says "it's about interaction bruh" than from a self proclaimed explorer?

You're all so deprived from human interaction that you self project introversion akin to social ills.
>>
>>337697870
That implies that you can build things
>>
>>337688754
Go back to your cancer site.
>>
File: 1333214724423.jpg (83 KB, 363x310) Image search: [Google]
1333214724423.jpg
83 KB, 363x310
>>337697972
>You're all so deprived from human interaction that you self project introversion akin to social ills
>>
File: 1459619795941.jpg (79 KB, 1600x1301) Image search: [Google]
1459619795941.jpg
79 KB, 1600x1301
>>337697972
FUCK. UNEXPECTED ROASTS ARE ALWAYS THE BEST.
>>
>>337697984

Minecraft: Spore edition
>>
>>337697478
Ok you're using universe and galaxy interchangeably and it's confusing the shit out of me
>>
>>337699472
The devs do as well. We don't really know if there is distinct galaxies, or if all the solar systems are in one massive blob.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.