[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people look everything up in Dark Souls? You know most
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8
File: ROTW.gif (2 MB, 269x203) Image search: [Google]
ROTW.gif
2 MB, 269x203
Why do people look everything up in Dark Souls? You know most of the fun is finding the secrets on your own, right? It's basically the only triple-A series that lets you capture the feeling of playing games as a kid and searching to uncover all the secrets of barely suggested hidden content.

I played Souls game like everybody else until 3, but since it felt so familiar I decided to not look up shit. I haven't found most of the content, and on my second playthrough I still haven't seen a character quest to its natural conclusion. And despite 3 leaving me a bit lukewarm unlike the other games except 2, I'm actually having way more fun with it than any of the other games.

There might be bosses I haven't seen, areas I haven't seen, characters I haven't met, bonfires I haven't found, builds that are made interesting by items I haven't found or any number of things — and I love it. What's even better is that you can find people with weapons and armor that you haven't accessed yet, or invade worlds with NPCs in places that you haven't seen before.

Are you ever going to play Dark Souls properly, anon?
>>
Look at this guy

>I played Souls game like everybody else

Git gud pleb
>>
>>337674593
Getting good is the opposite of the childlike fun and wonder of videogames, as I've found in the OP. If I were to get good, I'd look up the best weapons and armor and the sense of discovery would be gone.

Getting good is cancer.
>>
This nigga thinks he just found the wheel, people have been playing the games like that since Demon Souls, we're not all casuals like you
>>
>>337674773
Pretty much everyone I've ever seen or talked to looks up the character quests and optional bosses at least, unless they just don't care about the game anyway.
>>
>>337674498
based reviewbrah
>>
File: 1445572688961.gif (2 MB, 190x300) Image search: [Google]
1445572688961.gif
2 MB, 190x300
some secrets are fine but some things are bullshit, especially in DaS3.
>want the Lord of Hollows ending after beating the game for the first time
>know I have to take the free levels
>do so, but not all at once because I want it to feel natural like as if I was playing it normally
>beat Abyss Watchers
>this breaks the quest line and I have to wait to NG++ if I want to attempt it again
I'm still glad I played it blind firstly but how the fuck did From expect people to level up kill themselves level up over and over?
>>
Yeah, but that's not what OP's talking about, he's pretty much talking about using a guide to guide you through the game.
>>
>>337674498
nowadays people don't think of other people's knowledge as different from their own
probably the majority of the population is mentally ill
>>
I got other shit to do in my life. I dont have the time to spend and hour figuring something out that's not directly connected to the way you solve a puzzle or fighting a boss.

Let me just know what's the OP stats/team/equipment in the beginning so I don't end up trying to go back to fix it.
>>
>>337674498
Its all there
>>
I only look up shit I knew I already wanted to make sure I don't miss it like the Claymore
>>
>>337674498

I mean I get where you're coming from but as far as Dark Souls is concerned in this regard how are you going to miss anything anyway if you're playing online? A bit of common sense got most of the NPC quest lines done and I didn't miss Untended Graves purely because of player messages. Same again with Arch Dragon Peak, you couldn't miss that shit unless you were retarded.

DS 1/2 I guess were a little trickier and 3 might have been if you were new to the series or offline. Question to you OP is why not look up stuff? What if there's a weapon or a spell you really want, or an armour set? What if you can fuck up something in game and miss out on an item that you really wanted? It's on the devs if your gameplay experience can be worsened by stilted lockout mechanics, not the player.
>>
>>337675347

They expected people to die more often I think. Fuck I can count on one hand how many times I died in my first game. I feel like Dark Souls 3 would have been a lot better as a newcomer to the series rather than a veteran of all prev' entries.
>>
File: reviewbrah.jpg (85 KB, 714x714) Image search: [Google]
reviewbrah.jpg
85 KB, 714x714
I really loved our day out anon!

I feel like I can share anything with you. We need to do this again sometime.
>>
>>337674498
Live and let live
>>
>>337676072
I disagree
>>
>>337675506
>I have no free time

Damn, that sucks.
>>
>>337675363
Nobody does that though
>>
File: 1350106854178.jpg (33 KB, 700x933) Image search: [Google]
1350106854178.jpg
33 KB, 700x933
>>337675394
terrifying post
>>
I'm playing through dark souls 2 at the moment and I look a lot of stuff up because all this game is is traps and ambushes, it's getting tiresome and I just want to get through it fast.
>>
Getting lock out of some fun weapons or spells just because of some extremely obscure quest timing isn't fun.
>>
I only look up locations of items and spells and other stuff, and character quests since some of those are impossible to figure out on your own.
>>
>>337675394
What are you even trying to say here?
>>
I don't know anybody who does this (or at least who would admit to doing it).

If you hang around and talk to casuals, why do you expect them to not act like casuals?
>>
>>337676364
"I only look up the location of everything"
>>
When you play a game blind, you're playing it your way.

When you look it up, even if you think you aren't, your choices are swayed by the things you've learned beforehand. Someone else is playing the game for you.
>>
>>337674498
>that gif
AUTISM
U
T
I
S
M
>>
>>337676437
what you honestly think that only casuals do this?
all of the git gud scrubs did the same to min max their stats, find best weapons and armor, and find out all the secrets first
>>
>first playthrough blind
>second playthrough restart, look stuff up
>after that I get into NG+

Did this for DaS 1 and 3, couldn't bear 2's shit enough to replay it.
>>
>>337674498
I dislike playing a game multiple times, and would much rather experience everything a game has to offer in a single playthrough. I have too much work and backlog to sink 100+ hours into a game just because
>>
File: 1442630382311.jpg (22 KB, 300x518) Image search: [Google]
1442630382311.jpg
22 KB, 300x518
>>337674498
>mfw i can't stop clearing every area and picking every fucking item that i will never use
help
>>
because half the shit in DS3 is literally 'that kid' tier of secrets?

because DS3 was the most disappointing entry, even moreso than DS2?

because I don't care to play a game that is essentially 'hey guys remember this from DS1? pretty great right?' for days on end?
>>
Because some people have gotten themselves into this weird loop with Souls games. Gotta figure out where everything is, gotta know what the good weapons are, gotta shit on every boss so they can brag about how easy they are, gotta play the meta and get to 120 in NG+ so they can whine about the PvP/endgame being shit, etc.

It's happened with every Souls game since the first DaS. A certain subset of people just don't value that sense of discovery anymore because Souls has become routine and everything's on the internet anyway.
>>
>>337676072
I'd rather spend a day with Joey to be honest family.
>>
>>337677185
I'm glad I'm not the only one that was more disappointed with 3 than 2.
3 had better bosses, but 2 had much better areas and was more fun.
>>
>>337676341
You wouldn't even know you got locked out.
>>
>>337677123
me
>>
>>337677476
3 had some very very good bosses, dont get me wrong, but my eyes rolled as soon as I saw shit like andre being there for no good reason
>>
>>337677521
You'd know when someone online kicks your ass with them
>>
>>337678000
And some people kicking your ass with an obscurely found good item is a big enough deal to destroy your own sense of wonder and discovery?
>>
>>337678127
Yes when I've dedicated lots of time in my build only to find how uneffective it is in multiplayer
>>
>>337678193
Die PvP loving faggot. PvP in Souls games is only good when it's creative and spontaneous and slapdash.
>>
Literally who is going to figure out how to get to the Undead Asylum and Ariamis on their own?

A first playthrough should be guideless. Subsequent playthroughs should be guided.
>>
>>337678278
>PvP lover
I'm not though, calm down
>>
>>337676928
>>337678530
these
>>
>>337678530
Unknowingly missing content is worth the rewarding feeling of stumbling upon content on your own. You don't need to see everything in the game, and you'd probably enjoy yourself more not seeing it.
>>
>>337676254
I do Fuck your favorite games. I like to cheat the tedium.
>>
>>337678769
The likelihood of stumbling upon this stuff on your own is very low. If by some chance, after hundreds of playthroughs where I somehow did not get bored of playing the game again and again, I stumbled upon the jump you need to make to get back to Undead Asylum, I would have crouched in the nest and after a few seconds assumed that it does nothing. I missed the Gravelord Servant covenant in this way. I laid in that coffin and after 5 seconds I thought it was a waste of time and got out.
>>
>>337679063
The likelihood of stumbling upon it on your own isn't that low, and if it is who cares? Nothing essential is that obscure, it's all cool optional stuff that's made 500x cooler if you find it on your own precisely because it's so hidden. You can also rely on messages too, I plan to do an entire playthrough of Dark Souls 3 soon where I'm using the miracle that lets you see more messages. You could've found both of those things doing something like that, but if you didn't, so what? You can't seriously be telling me that having some unknown mysteries in a game takes away from your enjoyment.
>>
>>337679271
>Nothing essential is that obscure
Ariamis is pretty big
>>
im with op on this one. i've recentley played demons and first 2 dark and what he says its true.
i like hard games as much as the next guy but souls get a bit retarded at some points
ive looked up online less than 5% of those games but its for shit that literally are impossible to know on your first playthrough.
i killed the tree guy in das2 last night
sure i guessed that those two glowing shit on the sides had to go but do you really think i can do that AND find from which tile i have to drop to land on the branch while its hands are like a windmill with half hp per hit and fire coming out of the ground?
as i said i like hard games but im 99.99% sure that no person in the world killed the boss in the first try and i believe no matter how hard a person should be able to kill a boss without online help or by dying 25 times where you have to run 2-4 minutes to re-engage the boss.
>>
>>337679339
I don't know what Ariamis is, and I don't care.
>>
>>337679381
Painted world of Ariamis.

Also that's one weak argument.
>>
>>337679271
>and if it is who cares?

I like to experience all the content before moving on to another game. I'd rather not get all the way to Dark Souls 3 and then see someone say how to get back to the Undead Asylum in DaS1. I'm just not going to be motivated anymore to test it.
>>
>>337674498
Ain't nobody got time for that. I'll do a second playthrough if I really like a game but doing replays just because I missed a thing or two is way too time consuming. I got shit to do and other games to play.
>>
You have to go through some serious mental gymnastics to get certain endings and to do the questlines of certain NPC's. I can easily see why people would look shit up especially after their first playthrough.
>>
>>337679421
Oh, I know that, I just forgot the full name.

It's not a weak argument, I'm resisting the implication that you MUST have access to all the optional content and you can't miss anything or it's an awful thing.

It's not true at all, and in fact I've been finding the opposite is true.

>>337679509

That's just autism though. It's a bad habit you should break, like compulsively slapping yourself across the face every time you die to a boss or whatever. I used to have similar autism, but I got over it and now I enjoy games more.

>>337679609

What other games do you have to play? Souls games are one of the only triple-A games in the current climate worth spending time on, and most indie games are shallow garbage.
>>
>>337679857
>What other games do you have to play

This is actually the soulsfag mentality.
>>
>>337679857
Actually, I think it's more autistic to play games again and again and again and again and again, looking for secrets in obscure places every time, never knowing when you've found them all, and never knowing when you're ready to move on to something else.
>>
>>337679857
>It's not a weak argument, I'm resisting the implication that you MUST have access to all the optional content and you can't miss anything or it's an awful thing.
The statement you made was that nothing of value was too obscure, to which I replied that the painted world was not only a big ( and arguably beautiful level ) but also very criptic to get to.

You responsed with "I don't care". That's a weak argument.
>>
File: thewhat.jpg (357 KB, 1024x1536) Image search: [Google]
thewhat.jpg
357 KB, 1024x1536
>>337680046

My argument has always been that you don't need to find all the secrets, and the secrets you do find are reward enough for how satisfying it was to uncover them. You're the only who interjected the autism of compulsively searching every nook and cranny.

>>337680096
I said nothing essential was too obscure. Painted world is a big, bold and beautiful level, but there's nothing about it that's essential. You could never do it and you'd have more-or-less the same Souls experience.
>>
The gameplay has to hold up long enough for people to keep caring about discovering new things. I think something like Morrowind holds up more when it comes to discovering new things because you not only have builds but factions and role play elements to keep things fresh. And the game is a fully realized open world, instead of a semi non linear collection of different "stages", so finding new locations or hidden items or npc's or quests is a lot more intuitive than how often things in Dark Souls is just a matter of finding something tucked into a corner or using a specific item at a specific place.
>>
>>337679986
If you can tell me the wealth of new games that are worth playing besides Souls, please let me know because I obviously haven't found them.
>>
File: lift.jpg (44 KB, 349x316) Image search: [Google]
lift.jpg
44 KB, 349x316
>>337674498
I played dark souls 1 """"""""properly """""" and MISSED THE FUCKING DLC SINCE IT'S HIDDEN AS FUCK SO FUCK YOU AND CHOKE ON A DICK
>>
>>337680383
I'm not one of the contrarian faggots who shit on Morrowind, but if you play that game for the gameplay then you're one weird lad, I tell you hwat
>>
File: 1463318348969.jpg (529 KB, 1024x2244) Image search: [Google]
1463318348969.jpg
529 KB, 1024x2244
>>337680358
>>
>>337680450
If you paid for DLC and you don't know how to unlock it then obviously you should look that up. You'd be retarded not to do that.
>>
>>337680483
Builds, faction and roleplay are all things that influence exploring the world, quests, and factions. You can't even advance in factions without the right skills on your character. Learn to argue.

>>337680358
>missing out on an entire area's worth of content
>no biggy
>>
>>337680429
lurk more then, try entering a thread that's not about souls first
>>
>>337680358
>you don't need to find all the secrets

Then I've just wasted the developers' time by not experiencing content that they have made for me to enjoy. Why would you not want to consume the entirety of something you enjoy? Imagine watching a Star Wars film, loving it, and then not watching any of the others. Imagine watching an anime, enjoying it, and then not watching the OVAs. Imagine beating a video game, enjoying it, and then not bother with the post-game content.
>>
>>337680576
It is no biggy. How is it a biggy?

>>337680609

Yeah, all the SONYNIGGERS BTFO THREADS UNCHARTED 4 BEST GAME EVER or obscure weeb games like Moon Princess XI: Pantsu Quest - Deluxe Edition are full of recent triple-A games worth playing.
>>
>>337676413
The internet has made it possible for people to use the collective brain power of millions of people instead of their own.
So they come to rely on other people's knowledge to understand reality. More abstract or expert knowledge translated to the layman then becomes impossible to refute without the proper basic knowledge. So people rely on others for more and more information and they are confident it's true regardless of whether it was said by a 13 year old fishing for upvoats or a person with decades of experience in his field.
"I read this in a book" or "my professor told me" is being replace by "I read on the internet". And people don't question it even though the information comes from an unreliable source.
In a game this translates to "lol UR WRONG there is no secret passage", but irl this means people will believe all kinds of bullshit.
Especially dumb people think they know a lot more than they think they do and the internet has facilitated that.
>>
>>337680547
or maybe it's because the pc version already have the dlc without any extra charge retard?
>>
>>337680576
>Learn to argue.
rude
>>
>>337674498
>You know most of the fun is finding the secrets on your own, right?
>You know the most fun is in doing the thing i find fun, right?

Let people play the game the way they want to, you autist.
>>
>>337680709
Because it's an entire area of the game. "Ignorance is bliss" is no going to convince everyone that it's perfectly fine to not get the literal full experience of a game because the game's design makes it so difficult to do so.
>>
>>337674709
getting good has nothing to do with looking shit up
>>
>>337680683
> Why would you not want to consume the entirety of something you enjoy?

Because, as I've said ITT, most of the fun is in finding new things to consume on your own. That comes with videogames because of how you interact with them, the closest analogue I could think of is not knowing there's a second season to a show you loved, but maybe down the line you find it somewhere.
>>
I looked things up because I just wanted to get to the PvP and the actual fun parts of the game. especially after not using a guide fucked me out of getting into the Mound Makers which I feel would have been good fun in the first few days after it came out

now I see that pvp is shite and the game is incredibly flawed, it's gonna take months to fix all of this shit. and then the dlc will come out and break more shit
>>
Looking shit up is bad only if the game actually has good lore.

DaS3 is terrible with lore and reusing assets, the only decent thing about it is the gameplay, so looking stuff up really isn't a big deal this time around.
>>
>>337674498

>Looks stuff up for 2 whole games.
>Bitches about people who look stuff up.
>>
>>337680847

People would want to play games this way, they just don't know it because they've forgotten what it's like to uncover secrets on their own. Most modern games don't allow for it anymore, and it's so much easier to just look things up so that most people don't even try the only option they had as kids—to discover things through exploration—when they enjoyed games 50x more.

>>337680862

So what if it's an entire area, was it such an essential area that it dramatically improved your experience? No, it's just a weird optional area with a few cool things that pads out the game a little more. It's not that important, definitely not important enough to sacrifice the fun and reward of discovery.
>>
>>337681012
>most of the fun is in finding new things to consume on your own

What if you don't know if there are new things? What if you play the game 5+ times and find nothing new each time? Finding new things gets boring when you can't find the new things.
>>
>>337681296
If you've played the game 5+ times, you're still not finding anything and you feel like the game is full of half seen wonders, at that point you might as well look shit up or ask someone who has for some hints or whatever. Most people play the game once blind, and then play it once with a guide though.

I'm not entirely against looking shit up, I'm against being so quick to pass by discovering shit on your own because if you look shit up you get instant gratification and items sooner rather than later.
>>
Because I can
>>
>>337682307
Wow, are you some kind of rugged individual, man?
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.