[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vidya
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: intercontinental_r9490x.jpg (131 KB, 500x866) Image search: [Google]
intercontinental_r9490x.jpg
131 KB, 500x866
Why are games still niche and considered a "neckbeard thing"? Why do you still need to have an "open mind" to get into vidya?

A good comparison I see is when people say "I didn't watch The Dark Knight because I don't like superhero movies". Games are still viewed with this "Adam West/Clooney Batman" lens.

I say this because I just finished Spec Ops: The Line and any form of art has never taken this much out of me before. I finished the white phosphorous scene and literally just walked my character out to get killed by the remaining soldiers that shout "MURDERER!". That game should be in a museum.
>>
Who gives a shit?
>>
>>337673350
I'm asking "Why?". I give a shit.
>>
Video games are mostly just escapist entertainment. Also I hope that they stay that way because normies literally destroyed this hobby by making everything casualized and stupid.
>>
They're not you asshat, ASSFAGGOTS and dudebro shit are commonly acceptable now.

It's the weeaboo trash /v/ gushes over that is considered niche, and rightfully so.
>>
>>337673483
Every hobby is escapism. What I mean is that vidya has soooo much potential. You can't get more engaging in a movie without some crappy gimmick like 3D.

VR can do that better. You can literally create anything in games. And you can make it customizable for literally every action a player takes. It's a daunting task but it is possible.

Spec Ops just gave me hope for what games can truly accomplish.
>>
>>337673548
Dude, almost every person above 30 thinks video games cause violence and misogyny.

Don't tell me media doesn't run with the same "gaymur neckbeard" narrative.
>>
Because the video game industry is filled mostly with people with inferiority complexes, from the devs to the journalists to the players.

It's seen as a second rate alternative to the kind of success and exposure that movies and TV shows get.

It's so fucking dumb that describing a story to a game as "Hollywood level" is supposed to be some kind of compliment, as though we're supposed to be thanking Hollywood for letting us suck their dicks.
>>
>>337673187
Who the hell do you know that didn't watch The Dark Knight movies? I don't like using the phrase /word or whatever it is but they have to be the most normie superhero movies ever.
>>
spec ops the line is like the video game equivalent of oscar bait
no actually that would probably be the last of us
>>
>>337673187
Because video games are interactive. Just like tabletop roleplaying or something. You need to get over some things and adopt others to enjoy those hobbies as opposed to passive book reading or movie watching.

Basically, it's weird to people who are not already into it.
>>
>>337673692
Spec Ops is a terrible game.
>>
>"I didn't watch The Dark Knight because I don't like superhero movies"
but it is a superhero movie
>>
>>337673762
Try 60 and above now. A fuckton of 30+ year olds play vidya now. It's mostly just the babby boomers that thing video games cause school shootings and muhsoggyknees.
>>
>>337674014
The Last of Us is more like that. I didn't really enjoy it.

SOTL actually has a significance other than "muh story" because it critiques all the Modern Warfare: Everyone Dies tropes. The phosphorous scene has more weight than any MW crap because it mingles the actual gameplay element of "hero obliterates 500 nameless grunts with superweapon" and just turns it around.
>>
File: 1444261011838.jpg (64 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
1444261011838.jpg
64 KB, 500x376
>>337673187
Boomers aren't dead yet
>>
>>337674152
Let´s just leave it at fourty
>>
>>337674027
to be fair roleplaying is always awkward until you get to know the people so it's not completely silly when you put on your dwarf voice and talk about riches and shit.
>>
>>337673187
Alright, besides your obvious image here, you know how I can tell you're from Reddit?

Spec Ops is utter shit. If you think it "belongs in a museum" then you are very much wrong about what makes a video game good. Spec Ops deserves to be forgotten because it did the same thing plenty of things in other media have done, but was far more hamfisted about it. Video game writing is almost universally garbage.

>>337674152
>>337674331
Actually, the boomers don't give a shit. The ones screaming about video games are the 20-30 year old liberals fresh out of college.
>>
>implying video games aren't some of the cheapest forms of entertainment for your buck

Try going out on regular basis. You might get some ass eventually, but does that compare to dozens of hours of game time you get an RPG? I think no.
>>
>>337673187
>Why are games still niche and considered a "neckbeard thing"?
They're not. If people are calling you a neckbeard it's not due to video games, it's probably because you are a weird fuck.
>>
File: 324871937.jpg (29 KB, 361x373) Image search: [Google]
324871937.jpg
29 KB, 361x373
>>337674331
mfw my uncle and his buddies are in the 45ish age range play video games every few weekends here and there when a big game isn't on to shoot the shit and spend the time. Granted it's casual trash like call of duty and battlefront but still.
>>
>>337674396
>Not realizing the potential of a truly interactive medium

Why are you whining about the writing? It is something that can be improved, not a limitation of the medium.
See, >>337674267
What kind of newfag asks for autist cred anyway?

>>337674439
I'm a jazz musician that plays the drums and the sax, sir. Not really having blue balls or lack of "outside"
>>
>>337674620
What media have you been watching? It's all they ever say when games are mentioned.
>>
>>337674150
Not in the campy superhero movie sense. That's what most older people think "superhero movies" are.
>>
>>337674921
>sir
Memes aside, why the fuck do you think Spec Ops deserves any kind of special treatment? It did nothing noteworthy. It is a very mediocre shooter that was shilled to hell and back for literally not being CoD.
>>
>>337674267
SOTL is absolute trash buddy, the hamfisted message of "its your fault cause you played the game" kind of falls flat. So to be a good guy, someone should spend 60 bucks, but then not play? Get that corny shit out of here man, "has weight", its contrived nonsense.
>>
>>337675276
Spec Ops explored a theme already done by other mediums but rarely done in video games, and used a few exclusively video game traits to establish that story.
>>
>>337674996
Sure if you're watching a shit tier news like fox news. If it isnt weeaboo shit with a bunch of fan service in it like senran kagura no one one gives two fucks if you play video games. Hell, no one even bats an eye at at stuff like persona or final fantasy anymore even though those series are still kinda weeby.
>>
>>337675276
it had a good story,good ost and mediocre bordering to good gameplay, that's it. It's a cult classic. Didn't sell good at all, but different tastes to different shapes. i loved it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0mC__bGcmM
>>
>>337675428
In terms of gameplay, it was irritating and confusing and bland. It's not important because it's "ZOMG GOAT!!1" but because it represents what games can be as a interactive narrative. The same reason why Simpsons is considered revolutionary.

>>337675276
Because that's how modern shooters work. "You wanted to be a hero, Walker" is literally why you slog through and advance the plot after every set piece in CoD.

But Spec Ops gives you the true weight of what death and being that ruthless, powerful killing machine means. It makes you hate yourself, not the character. Tell me what form of art has been able to accomplish that to this date?
>>
>>337676098
Oops, switch the replies. Using phone, quick reply is fucked up.
>>
>>337676098
"Slog though" no, people play campaigns, and videogames in general, because they are fun and entertaining, they get something our of them. Its escapism. If youre that desperate for a "you were a badguy all along" story, just play Nier
>>
you can probably strike up a conversation about counter strike with any 18-34 year old male on the planet
>>
>>337676612
Shit I've been wondering, do protagonist and his team look like beasts to the shades?
>>
>>337673187
>I say this because I just finished Spec Ops: The Line and any form of art has never taken this much out of me before.
>shitty meme image

checks out, fuck off
>>
>>337676612
I mean "slog through" as in mindlessly tank through.

And this discussion is about video games being more than toys.
Especially with SOTL because it came out in a time when casual shooters were all the rage. It's like if a studio did something similar with superheroes with all this Marvel hype.
>>
>>337676847
I think shades my not see the world the same as the Gestalts, since they done have normal 'human' eyes, being just souls and all, but I dont think its the whole "we look like the monsters to them, like they do to us" thing desu.

>>337677635
>mindlessly tank through.

Which is fine, because video games are toys, and meant to be fun. SOTL is that, but with a painfully corny message tacked onto the end of it. Its not done gracefully, its a Physic 101 level process in mastrubation for people who want to appear intellegent.
>>
>>337678375
>for people who want to appear intellegent
Which you are clearly doing by absolutely ignoring everything I'm saying. Do you want all books to be Twilight and all music to be Nickelback as well? Because it's all just banal entertainment.

I hate to think how boring your life is....
>>
>>337678897
Your immediate strawmannirg and jumping to "insert X most popular thing here" is some reddit level nonsense friend, Im surprised you didnt say Kanye west or Katy perry.

>....

Please go back there
>>
>>337679007
>go back to plebbit
Nice ad-hom, faggot.

I use legacy Captcha. That's how much of an oldfag I am. Shitposters like you have ruined 4chins to faggotry and cancer.
>>
>>337673187
They aren't. The nerd shit you like is, because it is giving weird nerd shit.
>>
>>337673187
I love Spec Ops the Line and I will always defend it but don't act like that.
To your question, I would argue that it's because games are interactive. You can't sit and watch a game expecting an amazing experience without playing it. I like The Last of Us and Uncharted but I believe there's a reason most people enjoy it above all others. Decent story and quick moments of action that, unless on higher dificulties, are just shoot a couple of guys and move on.
I don't have the pic but there's an interview of Iwata talking about how most people won't even finish the first level of Super Mario.
Unlike movies, you have to participate in what's going on, something a lot of people aren't willing to put the time into.
Sorry for the rant but last point, over the years I've actually noticed that I won't play certain games if they take too long to get to the good parts, while at the same time loving FFX and remembering the amount of grinding I would put into that game.
My opinion, at least.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.