[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how many hours to completion is acceptable in a game anon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1
File: howlong.png (127 KB, 1197x871) Image search: [Google]
howlong.png
127 KB, 1197x871
how many hours to completion is acceptable in a game anon?
>>
>>337672554
It doesn't matter. Why do people always try to use game length as a measure of quality?
>>
>>337672554
its contextual, based on the games price and replayability

a 1 hour long game with 0 replayability priced at $60 is completely unnacceptable, no matter how good the game is
>>
>>337672554
There is no limit on how low, its the total length of content that counts.
So a 20 hour game, and a game with 2 hours but 10 completely different ways to play it with 10 different endings are equivalent.
>>
I usually feel satisfied with about an hour of gameplay per € I paid.
>>
>>337672554
40 hours is the lowest threshold.
>>
>>337672554

>finishing games

the ceilings should be so high, that you always find enjoyment in playing a game even years after "finishing" it. Look at the arcades. That is how all games need to be.
>>
>>337672554
depends on the length of the game, but generally about as much as you need and not an picosecond more.
>>
>>337672838
how do you factor in replay?
Does this hold up when adding MP, where hours played =/= hours enjoyed, seeing as much of the possible enjoyment is dependent on connection and fellow players?
>>
>>337674430
Counts all towards hours played. There are barely any games I replay though, I do a full playthrough of stuff like gothic 2 every other year and played through Ys Oath in Felghana maybe 2. The only games I really pick up every now and then are games like Project Diva, SFV or Arma 3.
>>
Quality and replayability are some the determining factors of price and I could go on about how they balance out each other, but the price for games is like the price for dildos. The longer it is, the more I'm likely to pay for it. Even if it was really good, I won't pay that much if it's really short. Your mother probably knows more about these things than I.
>>
>>337674048
Arcades are designed to suck cash from players. Looking at arcade designs is why things are so shit right now in regards to DLC.

>>337672554
My typical metric is that the game was worth it if I get 1 hour for every dollar I paid. If it doubles it, I can usually say it's a pretty good game.

I spent like 15 bucks on Warband and have clocked 400 or so hours. And I consider it one of the best games I've ever played.
>>
A movie gives me 2hrs fpr 10 quid.
So 50 quid i want 10 hours minimum.
>>
If a game takes longer than 20 hours to beat, I start getting burned out on it. There are some exceptions to this, of course, but for the most part, any game that lasts that long has a lot of filler and repeated corridors that most RPGs are famous of.
>>
A game can be short, there's nothing wrong with that

As long as the game itself is built for multiple playthroughs and replay ability to make up for it
>>
>>337674887
This, devs rarely have enough new ideas to spread over that long. Shorter games allow for higher density of new content and can cut down on repetition
>>
>>337674840

>Arcades are designed to suck cash from players

How do you suck cash from people?
With good gameplay and mechanics, noone would have payed for story in any arcade.
You cant compare and blame arcades at the same time for the current industry, the current industry is its very own kind of cancer.
>>
>>337674840

you're pretty stupid

thats all I can say
>>
>>337675263
you gave me an idea
insert 1€ for 1 life at call of duty multiplayer , 1€ for each respawn you want
>>
>>337672602
Haven't heard that as a common argument.

I've heard people compare price to length, which is reasonable.
>>
Depends on the gameplay of the game for me. I don't mind paying full price for a game like Vanquish even though it's really short, the gameplay is worth it for me.
>>
>>337672554

>Fastest
>50s
>>
Depends on the price. For $60 I expect a minimum of 10 hours. I don't really factor in shitty side quests either. FO4 may have 100 hours of content, but 80-90 of that is garbage.
>>
>>337672838
/thread
>>
>>337676120

Already implemented albeit a bit different.
Still implicating good gameplay and I pay gladly for it. Even more than 1€.
>>
>>337672838
I can't think of a single player only game that has 60 hours worth of playability. Only MP has kept me going past 60 hours, yet people feel like MP games should be $30 or lower.

I'll straight up drop a grind or fetch quest heavy game. I don't count a bunch of padding as quality and games that abuse it are considered void.
>>
>>337676886
There are a couple. I have probably around 200 hours in gothic 2, Persona 4 took me like 90 to beat twice and clean up stuff I missed the first time around / complete different social links, the Atelier games are usually long as fuck, the witch and the hundred knight took me 65 hours to plat and beat the post game dungeon, oreshika can be like 200 hours if you really want to kill everything and so on.
>>
>>337676995
>JRPG

repetitive trite
>>
>>337677051
Sucks for you then I guess.
>>
>>337676886
I put well over 70 hours into Bloodborne but I was replaying new game plusses and working with new builds.

This doesn't include the DLC which adds another 16 or so hours
>>
>>337677556
finished everything in BB in around 30 hours including DLC. I don't count being forced to replay the game to try a new build as replayability or fun.
>>
>>337676886

DS2:SOTFS has about 90 hours worth of unique content for a new or not very experienced souls player.
>>
>>337677771
The problem with DS2 is a lot of that content is fat even if its unique, its not unique enough to justify it, levels are long for the sake of quantity instead of quality. The game is still better than dark souls 3 though
>>
>>337677771
SOTFS is a rerelease with the DLC.
>>
I'll 100% a game that takes up to 200 hours. Any more and I won't even try. Fuck you Star Ocean 4.
>>
>>337678312

I don't think thats very relevant but even if you took away the dlc it's still at least 60 hours.
>>
>>337677964
Ds2:sotfs has more unique area's than Ds1+3 combined, and if Ds3 only has 1 dlc i expect it to stay that way.
>>
>>337674848
but the production quality on movies is usually vastly higher than in games, stuff that would land in clickbait like "10 unforgivable mistakes in marvels shit of the week" is par on course or even small fries for AAA games.
>>
>>337678871
no it isn't seeing how I beat DaS2 in around 40 even when I took my time and played some buffed areas.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.