[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Criticize bad game mechanics >"git gud" What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: 1436520775082.png (396 KB, 574x413) Image search: [Google]
1436520775082.png
396 KB, 574x413
>Criticize bad game mechanics
>"git gud"

What fanbases are guilty of this? Other than the Souls and MegaTen ones.
>>
Counterstrike
>>
>>337662885
Whilst I think that "git gud" is an annoying, insipid response, I can't think of many problems with the mechanics of souls or SMT. Dark souls 2 had a lot of problems with hitboxes and poor level design, but the other games in the series have been mostly fine in these areas (barring some exceptions like capra demons sword clipping through the wall). What mechanics in question are you actually complaining about?
>>
>>337663371
Pretty sure he's just asking about fanbases that do this, like he said in his original post, anon.
>>
>>337662885
>MegaTen ones
No really, in a turn based RPG you only have a few options. You need to be a complete retard to fuck that up

Unless if it's SMT3 hard mode where you can get killed in the tutorial
>>
>>337663487
Sure, but in order for the fanbases to be able to do this, there need to be some "bad mechanics" to criticize, right?

I'm more interested in finding out what OP found to be lacking about Souls or SMT than just having a thread where people just post the name of a fanbase they don't like.
>>
>>337663705
Then make another thread where you ask what people found wrong with them?
>>
the wonderful 101 faggots

coupled with "the first playthrough (20 fucking hours) is like a tutorial!!!" and "watch videos by this autist from something awful to understand how great the mechanics really are!"
>>
>>337663869
Why? Op clearly indicated that he had some problem with them. There's usually 5 or 6 separate discussions going on in a thread at any given time. Fuck off.
>>
>>337662885
Probably any community of a game with a lot of customization and ways to approach any given problem.
if you ask
>how do i beat this boss who spews fire and strong phys attacks
in a game that relies on it's cover your weakness\push on enemies weakness\use debuffs through it's fuckhuge roster of fusavle demons and mechanics revolving around molding your party into anything you want. Well, you get shit on.
If you ask
>how do i beat this boss in a action game with a shitton of available weapons\build\playstyle options
You get people angry at you.
>>
FGC obviously.

Standing back and spamming fireballs ("zoning") does not require strategy you fucking faggots. Tired of hearing that shit from these people.
>>
>game described as "fun" or "comfy"
>it's code for a mediocre game with no difficulty and terrible plot
>>
>>337664046
So people who ask stupid questions and don't think
>>
>>337664063
I'm sorry but you're an idiot. If you honestly thing that "zoning" only consists of sitting on the other side of the screen and shooting fireballs then you're probably mentally handicapped. If that's all it required, even a retard like you could win at EVO.
>>
>>337664214

Didn't some 12 year old kid win one of them? I seem to remember Mew2King getting beaten by a child at EVO.
>>
>>337663986
Shut the fuck up and gtfo
You just want to shitpost GIT GUD to OP.
Just do it and leave.
>>
>>337662885
Monster Hunter
>>
>>337663371
>>337663592

>Not being able to pause even if you're not playing online
>Using souls as a way to level up makes the game turn into a grindfest into the late stages and New Game+
>HP reduction upon dying in DeS/DaS2 which makes the constitution stat useless for like 70% of the game until you can afford to lose that much health
>World Tendency system in DeS can screw you out of certain items/events/characters unless you restart the game
>Cursed status effect in DaS1 is a pain in the ass and yet the process to cure it is too fucking complex
>Nearly everything from DaS2, from the lighting system that's only necessary to solve a puzzle in No Man's Wharf to stuff like dual wielding or the Ninja Gaiden reject bosses

In regards to SMT, It's mostly the Press-Turn battle system, which mostly revolves around spamming buffs/debuffs and guessing what the enemy's resistances are, and then spamming the element that he's weak to. They dropped the ball even further with the Smirk system in IV. They should have kept the system from the older games.
>>
>>337663871
Here's the thing.
Person A is good at a game that some would deem difficult to adjust to. He has looked into the game prior to its release, watched tutorial videos, played the demo, and just screwed around for a bit to get a handle on all the controls because he can see that the game may be far more enjoyable if he learns how it works before going in. Person A greatly enjoys the game from then on.

Person B jumps right in knowing that the game is difficult to someone who hasn't played it before. He fails constantly at it and refuses to try and learn how to do anything. He proclaims that the game is just bad.

Scenario 2: Person A learns the Japanese language, culture, and customs and visits Japan. He can read and communicate while there, and knows how to act. He has a good time because of it and would recommend it to others if they put in the effort beforehand like he did. Person B goes to Japan without looking into anything related to it. He doesn't understand anyone or anything and is constantly going against cultural standards while there. He has a bad time and proclaims that Japan is a terrible place to go to.
>>
>>337664325
>Smash
>fighting game
lol
>>
>>337664448
Talk about projecting. No need to get so upset just because someone wanted to actually discuss games rather than just wallow in meta shitposting about fan bases.
>>
File: 1345084917100.png (354 KB, 659x544) Image search: [Google]
1345084917100.png
354 KB, 659x544
>>337665246
I'll bite
Tubular is literally artificial forced difficulty, in SMW
The fact you died in a single hit was complete bullshit, despite being the final world.
Also, the single ice block jump in the fucking ice stage later was also bullshit.
>>
>The Witcher

The games have never had good gameplay and the elitist fans think they're some kind of pros for putting up with shitty combat and controls.
>>
>>337664610
I'd never really considered the pause thing. I suppose that it should be entirely possible to pause when playing offline. Not that its ever been a huge problem for me, but yeah, I can agree with that.

In terms of the "grind" criticism, I've found that I've never needed to grind in a souls game. There are usually multiple paths available at any given time, so if I get stuck on one I just go and do another. The game is beatable on souls level one anyway so grinding really isn't an issue. It also helps if you eat boss souls rather saving them for mostly useless items.

The world tendency was fucking shit. I've never seen anyone defend it.

I agree that some stuff in the game is way too obscure to easily figure out without a guide. I also stated in my original post that DS2 had a number of issues, so I agree with that.
>>
>>337665518
>SMW
I can't even figure out what this acronym stands for so I'm pretty confident I haven't played this SMT game. Sorry, anon.
>>
>>337665721
It is Super Mario world, not SMT or DS.
People doesn't just shout git gud for new games, faggot
>>
The problem is that a lot of time a criticism isn't critiquing the game design in a meaningful way, just critiquing the perceived difficulty.

I love the MH series, and I have been playing fighting games for decades. So has this guy:
http://www.sirlin.net/posts/sirlin-on-game-design-ep-12-easy-special-moves

I use this as a great example of where the line is. He is pointing out that many fighting games have inputs that are needlessly difficult to input. As in, there would be no change except for less button inputs by the player, to make it easier to input, with no loss in other areas.

When someone goes "The guy threw fireballs at me and I couldn't beat him! This is bad game design!" When this is the lowest level of strategy in fighting games. There is no design flaw. In fact, it's one of the easiest and most accessible ways that someone can be introduced to the idea of "mind games" in strategy. There is nothing wrong with it in design terms. Quite the opposite, actually. It ends up being a highlight of design. So the joke response "git gud" is just a short hand version implying that your complaint is invalid because you are so ignorant you don't even know what you are saying.

Same with games like monster hunter. There are often a lot of things to complain about (deceptive hit boxes, strange damage properties,etc), but what most people end up complaining about is "My guy is too slow! I keep trying to hit the monster and it hits me before I can hit it then kills me as I get up!" This isn't anything wrong with the game, it's the player being so bad at the game that they don't understand even the basic ebb and flow of combat. So in their ignorance, they mistake it for bad game design.

I don't know anything about the dark souls games since I've never played one, but I suspect similar complaints exist there as well. There are probably legitimate critiques of the game, but lost in a sea of complaints from people who are simply bad at the game.
>>
>>337663371
>I can't think of many problems with the mechanics of souls
being unable to remap controls and input queuing come to mind.
>>
>>337664610

>Press Turn
Mostly ok, you shouldn't have to rely on weaknesses when the later parts of the game have no weaknesses to exploit

>Smirk
SMTIV was bullshit for this, I hope it's nowhere near as bad in FINAL
>>
>>337663116
This. The sprays are trash.
>>
>>337665821
Oh, I'm the guy you were responding to and I was talking about souls and SMT. I honestly don't remember the levels you're referring to in SMW although I remember it being a pretty easy game on the whole.
>>
>>337662885
>MegaTen
Explain or go back to Persona
>>
>>337666492
I played DS3 on PC and you were definitely able to remap controls.
>>
>>337667175
Perhaps you should check them out again.
That's just what came to mind first, but I am sure there is other stuff, I just don't remember right now.
>>
any competitive e-sport oriented game
CS:GO and Dota 2 are the worst offenders, but it even reaches the more casual games like Rocket League and Overwatch
>>
>>337667272
you can't in the games that matter.
>>
>>337667361
I'll admit I would yell at faggots playing L4D2 all the time, but that game is entirely dependent on working together.
After you tell some random for the 5th time "Don't open spit, wait for a set up" you just gotta kick.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.