[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is the greatest game ever created >before trammel the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: Ultima_Online.jpg (55 KB, 256x342) Image search: [Google]
Ultima_Online.jpg
55 KB, 256x342
This is the greatest game ever created

>before trammel the wilderness was untame. stepping outside of the guards protection in town was always a risk where you could lose everything
>player housing non instanced. could furnish with all kinds of furniture and add ons. eventually could custom build houses
>economy was player run
>extensive taming. from rabbits and birds to horses and wolves and all the way up to dragons
>great pvp
>proper guild and war system. if you were at war you were a target anywhere you went. massive battles would ensue in open fields
>early days the staff kept the game interesting and offered tons of rewards, especially on holidays
>you could be anyone...a tamer, a tailor, cook, carpenter, blacksmith, monster hunter, thief, PK, mercenary, etc. options were limitless.
>game was basically, "here's the world. have fun!"

why has nothing yet tried to copy this when it was so amazing and successful?
>>
actually Galaxies tried some of it and did a really good job.

gamers must've become too casual
>>
>>337637867

Because there was nothing like it at the time so even casuals and people who wouldn't play a game that was "unfair" to people who where clueless/stupid. Go try do any of that shit on a legacy UO server nowdays and see how far you get. When there are no sheep and all wolves the fun of the game isn't there anymore.
>>
>>337638110

Galaxies was good for a while, but died after the patch that let anyone become Jedi/Sith.

Nothing was more tense than doing your normal daily moisture farming, then suddenly finding out you had force powers, and then having to go on the run to avoid death squads out for Jedi/Sith blood. Then they added those options to the character creator, and then practically everyone rolled force characters because why wouldn't you?
>>
>always a risk where you could lose everything
>People actually want this to make a return

It would be interesting to see how quickly an MMO would die if they had full looting capabilities and entirely open PvP protocols.
>>
UO was so good. The customisation in professions allowed you to really have control over your characters creation.

I had an emotional attachment to my uo characters and I've never felt this way about any other mmo characters I've had.

UO was a game of learning lessons the hard way. Being in a dungeon with a bunch of rare loot and having to run from a PK was exhilarating.

I really hope one day something tries to recapture how fun UO was.
>>
>>337639084

Fallout Online

Basically one group takes all the powerful weapons/armor, kills everyone else, then locks down the spawn points. Nowadays it's all ruskies and nobody else.
>>
>>337637867
>why has nothing yet tried to copy this when it was so amazing and successful?
SWG did, and a shitload of other lesser known games did.

The problem is that after WoW, having less than SIX BILLION PLAYERS wasn't considered "successful" anymore.
>>
>>337639261

>Being in a dungeon with a bunch of rare loot and having to run from a PK was exhilarating

I never hear from anyone about how frustrating it would be to get all your stuff taken. All I ever hear about is the supposed fun of the chase.

Did you ever get caught and have all your rare gear taken?
>>
I once tricked a group of Japanese players into trading me their house for a shirt that I convinced them was magic. Immediately flipped the house to someone else and watched as a bunch of angry Japs hurled swears at him in broken English, yelling about a magic shirt and killing him over and over again. Good times.
>>
>>337639565
Yeh, a lot. It was hugely frustrating and would usually involve a lot of IRC abuse and in game abuse.

You'd also pm a friend and/or log into an alt and get back there asap to get revenge.
>>
>>337639565

>frustrating

Frustrating is when a castle is about to collapse from inactivity from the owner and the entire server shows up for the feeding frenzy only for the castle owner to teleport in and refresh his house in the final moments before it would have fallen.
>>
>>337640475

Reminds me of housing on Archeage.
>>
>>337638207

UO was never all wolves though because for every PK there were 3 people out trying to kill them
>>
>>337641773

Can PKers team up or are they always solo?
>>
>>337641889
There were always more blues than reds.

The shard I played it wasn't even that financially rewarding to be a PK. If you wanted to make money you had to have a trader character too.
>>
>>337642078

So can they team up or not?
>>
>>337642137
>>337641889

of course they can team up but the system made it so there was really no reward for being a pk while making the risks and punishments hefty. if you really wanted combat you joined a guild for wars or went order/chaos
>>
>>337642137
They can, and you could team up on them.

This line of thinking is why you end up with WoW style where both people have to agree to a fight before it takes place.
Ganking was part of UO. Running around on your own in the world was dangerous.
>>
File: 1280538100334.jpg (79 KB, 560x419) Image search: [Google]
1280538100334.jpg
79 KB, 560x419
I can't believe there still isn't anything better than Mortal Online or EVE as a UO replacement.
>>
File: 1462091007489.jpg (465 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1462091007489.jpg
465 KB, 1024x768
>>337637867
100% fucking agreed. casual wow babbies won't have a fucking clue what they missed. UO was the BEST mmo to date.
>>
>>337637867
you are right, but you're on the wrong board, this place is full of kiddies, literally and mentally
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.