[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"It's not an annoying oversight, it's a design
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 23
File: Shitae.jpg (132 KB, 1200x666) Image search: [Google]
Shitae.jpg
132 KB, 1200x666
>"It's not an annoying oversight, it's a design feature!": The Game.

Why the fucks do you fags like this?

What made you think this was good enough to get into Smash??
>>
>>337584623
>Why the fucks do you fags like this?
You're on /v/, waifufag central, why do you think?
>>
>>337584623
>"It's not an annoying oversight, it's a design feature!": The Game.

Please clarify? What was an "annoying oversight"?
>>
Thanks OP, I was just about to start us a thread.
Anyways, post gifs.
>>
>>337584759

Half of the game is backtracking.

The conversation and menu overlays look like they were created for a newgrounds flashgame.

Hit detection on the bosses, most of which don't match the rest of the art style, is shit, particularly the Dagron's head.

If you're playing through your first time, the game informs you early on how to skip cutscenes, and then HEAVILY punishes you for it later when you have to go activate new areas by talking to people in what should be an action-oriented game.

If you do choose to sit through the conversations, they're long, boring, and entirely "tell-not-show" in trying to get you to give a shit about their personal relationships.

100% the game without a walkthrough demands that you slam into every wall of the game, even though there's no indication as to why certain things are different.

You have to go back to the ship in order to tell how far you're through collecting everything in a level.

The best way to make money is to walk in and out of doors breaking pots.

And finally, once again, the fucking backtracking. Intentionally designed that way to please speedrunners, I guess? So in order to enjoy the game you have to know it inside and out.
>>
>>337584623
>>"It's not an annoying oversight, it's a design feature!": The Game.
Can you explain what you mean by this like someone who isn't a sperg?

>Why the fucks do you fags like this?
Because, while it's a fairly basic and relatively easy platformer, it has charming characters, funny dialogue/situations and enjoyable art.
>>
>>337585275
Its a metroidvania-light, of course there is going to be backtracking.

Not going to argue the other points though, since I am not a huge fan of the game. It was alright.
>>
File: 1460800395954.jpg (12 KB, 215x211) Image search: [Google]
1460800395954.jpg
12 KB, 215x211
>>337585275
>I never played a Metroidvania
Thanks for sharing, fucking autist
>>
>>337585275
I love backtracking. I love having the freedom of going back whenever I want to find new things with new abilities.
>>
>>337585615
>>337585441

It's not a Metroidvania, it's fucking linear.

Metroidvania is not
>Do area 1
>Get Spog
>Do area 2
>Get Spag
>Use Spag on every wall and crevice in area 1
>Do area 3
>Get Spug
>Use Spug on every wall and crevice in area 1 and 2

Proper Metroidvanias give you a sense of progression but also ways to know where and how you're supposed to go back, and also include multiple routes, fast travel options, and combat upgrades that don't require farming.

This is Mario except now you have to play every area 8 times because it doesn't tell you where they hell you have to go.

Fuck, why am I even telling you this, you only played it for the 13-year-old tits.
>>
File: 1447611540978.gif (3 MB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1447611540978.gif
3 MB, 600x450
>>337585615
>tfw someone posts a reaction image you made ages ago and forgot about
>>
>>337586054
I did say it was metroidvania-light. But eh, I am not smart enough to have a converting conversation with you. You hate the game and you want other people to shit on it too, and possibly other people liking it to be shit on as well. Thats pretty much the gist of it.
>>
>>337586054
anon, pirates curse also had upgrades that allow you to explore more of previous areas and progress.
>>
File: shantae.jpg (195 KB, 497x708) Image search: [Google]
shantae.jpg
195 KB, 497x708
>>337585275
i am not sure why so mad about..but

B is Best choice
>>
>>337586331
Hell, the original did as well.
>>
File: 1443938920536.png (48 KB, 291x286) Image search: [Google]
1443938920536.png
48 KB, 291x286
>>337586054
>WAHHHH I HATE BACKTRACKING
Dont play it then you fucking attention whore
>>
>>337584841
Post more of them
>>
>>337586331

Spiderweb had a single ledge you need to glide to to get to and one room underground. Both just lead to Bat, that's boring.

>>337586260

I like 25% of the game, the action, when undisturbed, was good. But people act like this is some amazing game when it suffers some very obvious design issues.

I'm not mindlessly shitting on the game either, I wrote out a pretty detailed list of stuff that are obvious issues. That's far from trolling.
>>
>>337586459

This isn't a defense, you know? You're not saying anything positive about the game in this statement.
>>
>>337586658
>I wrote out a pretty detailed list of stuff that are obvious issues.
sorry, all I saw was WAHHH I HATE BACK TRACKING
>>
>>337586658
>I wrote out a pretty detailed list of stuff that are obvious issues
>obvious issue
See, that's where you're wrong. I mean it's fine if you don't enjoy those things but they're not inherent flaws. The only thing I'd agree with you on is having to return to the boat to see what you've collected on a particular island.
>>
Played the first Shantae game on GBC. It wasn't that great. The game's very hard because your combat options are inefficient. The hair whipping sucks ass and does no damage for example.

Risky's Revenge was a step up. The combat's better, but you're now given less options to fight. I mean, the upgrades like the kicking and etc in the first game were downright useless but they were there at least. The game's short as fuck and you don't get to use your transformations all that much.

Haven't played Pirate's Curse. I sure hope it's amazing. I'll probably pirate it on 3DS since the PC port sucks donkey ass.
>>
File: jb_129348235601.png (221 KB, 460x384) Image search: [Google]
jb_129348235601.png
221 KB, 460x384
>>337586161
>>337585615

Me too, actually.
Because it's fucking perfect
>>
>>337585275
The backtracking is only annoying if you don't catch on.
Most of the game is to complete a area, then go for a NPC hunt in a previous area.
>>
>>337586862

Cutting out the backtracking stuff, the stuff about skipping conversations is a Major issue.

Nothing in this modern day in age should force you to do Final Fantasy-style talking to everyone in the world to progress the plot. The first NPC you have a choice to talk to in the game (a kid outside when you are first given free reign) suggests you can skip conversations if you want to. You can't give players an option and then trap them forever for using it. The game should have had some sort of Task reminder, "Oh, I got this sword, I need to go turn it in with guy". This is a blatant issue.
>>
>>337587262
>This is a blatant issue.
Nope.
>>
>>337586878
>PC port sucks
Why? Is it because it doesn't work on your shit computer?
>>
>>337586161
Thanks for making it, now we can shitpost in style.
>>
>>337585275
Backtracking is not really an issue unless you're trying to 100% the game.

pirate's flares are easy to get and none of the areas are particularly large.
>>
Wayforward is like the western Vanillaware in that it has good sprites and some lewd so /v/ ignores that everything else about their games is mediocre as fuck at best.
>>
>>337587352

You're right, a person should expect to pay full price for a game and then be expected to bullshit around pointlessly for 9 out of every 10 minutes they're playing because a kickstarter game couldn't stand to put in a Quest bar.

God, I know /v/ hates casuals of any sort, but I swear you people would remove health bars just because you think people should be able to keep track of it.
>>
>>337587603

You can't use those in Dungeons, the places with the most walls.
Those walls that you have to go back and smash once you get the Boots?
>>
>>337587262
>I did not read what I was supposed to do because I skipped all the information just because I could
>Why is the game not telling me everything?
>I need a quest tracker like in Skyrim
>Waaah
The game did tell you what's what, numbnuts. Your head was just too far up your ass to notice.
>>
File: 1457665850380.png (245 KB, 630x357) Image search: [Google]
1457665850380.png
245 KB, 630x357
>>337586054
There isn't a single Heart Squid or Bat that doesn't give you some hint as to its existence. The design is fairly obvious from the first squid you see, it's clearly on a pedestal but you can't reach it yet, so perhaps some later power will let you get it. The entire game is like this.

Find me one Squid/Bat that can only be found by randomly attacking a wall or some shit, because I'm pretty sure there's nothing like that in the game.

If you're talking about the actual story progression, your options are basically:
>talk to someone in town
>talk to someone at royal palace
>talk to someone you can find by playing through a level normally
And that's it. The only exception is talking to Rottytops after finding the Lost Soul, but the Lost Soul's item description says you should find someone who can talk to undead, or something, and it's fairly easy to guess that Rottytops could do that.
>>
>>337587764
>full price
isn't pirates curse around $15? maybe 20
>>
File: shan 13.jpg (408 KB, 618x1000) Image search: [Google]
shan 13.jpg
408 KB, 618x1000
>>337584623
because is lewd
>>
>>337586878

I liked how the first game was ridiculously hard to the point that even just navigating the world and backtracking to collect stuff during the day/night cycles was an endurance run... But then near the end of the game you gain the Harpy transformation which makes navigating the world 1000x easier and it's like an amazing feeling suddenly being able to steamroll over everything casually and go anywhere in a fraction of the time it used to take.
>>
File: 1462727201632.png (7 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1462727201632.png
7 KB, 420x420
>>337584623
You forgot
>"It's not an extremely short game, It's a game designed for speed runners!"
Waifufags eat any diarrhea they throw at them,
>>
>>337587883
You don't have to really revisit dungeons unless you're trying to 100% it like I said.

And there are enough movement options to make backtracking pretty fun at the end anyway. The walls thing is legitimate critique, there's definitely no indication which will have heart squids and shit.

I prefer Risky's Revenge's for having more rewarding secret areas.
>>
People just want to fuck Shantae OP, it's the same thing with Rabi Ribi.
>>
>>337587883
none of the dungeons require you to go back with new items

you're just retarded and missed it the first time
>>
>>337587262
>skipping text on your first playthrough
>how was I supposed to know to go here or do this
Is your name Arin Hanson by chance?

No seriously you have some good points, but this one is nowhere near a major issue, it's just you being absolutely retarded.
>>
>>337588254
Says the shithead facebook frog poster
>>
>>337588306
I admit most of Shantae's appeal comes from the characters and humor, but Rabi-Ribi is actually an amazing game. The only reason to dislike it is how saccharine it is.
>>
>>337587995

The very first thing the game tells you once you are given full control is that you can skip conversations. It doesn't warn you that conversations are how you actually progress in the game.

That's faulty.

>>337588035

You're wrong, off the top of my head there's the Squid in the bottom left of the break-the-blocks room in Tan-line's second dungeon.

>>337588220

To be fair, I like the normal artstyle.

>>337588254

My biggest complaint is that it's artificially lengthened. Being designed for speedrunners shouldn't mean a normal player has to do 10 times the work to progress.
>>
>>337585275
>If you're playing through your first time, the game informs you early on how to skip cutscenes, and then HEAVILY punishes you for it later when you have to go activate new areas by talking to people in what should be an action-oriented game.

This is the complaint that convinced me you've never played a videogame before.
>>
>>337588720
>It doesn't warn you that conversations are how you actually progress the game
You're actually legitimately retarded
Jesus christ
>How was I supposed to know I needed to get on the boat, I just skipped the part where Risky said "come on lets get on the boat"
>>
>>337588515

That's like saying I shouldn't be able to progress in Mario because I skipped text.

This game is not some character driven epic, the action segments are linear, the runaround is SOLELY because of gateway conversations, it's the same bullshit that detracted from The World Ends With You even though the rest of the game is amazing.
>>
>>337588720
>My biggest complaint is that it's artificially lengthened. Being designed for speedrunners shouldn't mean a normal player has to do 10 times the work to progress.
I'm not following. Give me an example of artificial lengthening that doesn't have anything to do with your dick please.
>>
>>337588720
>It doesn't warn you that conversations are how you actually progress in the game.
>That's faulty.
It's faulty that the game doesn't treat you like a retard? It's obvious within the first ten minutes that some important info is in the dialog. It's suggesting you skip the pointless nameless NPC banter, not important story stuff.
>>
>>337588957
>This game is not some character driven epic

75% of the appeal of Shantae is the characters you doofus. There is literally nothing unique about the gameplay, if you aren't paying attention to the dialogue you are doing it wrong.
>>
>>337585275

You are just a little bitch, huh?
>>
>>337588957
Talking to NPCs to get info on what to do next is a very common thing in videogames, especially Zelda-like games such as Shantae. The exact way it's done in PC is consistent with the way the previous two Shantae games did it.

Is this one of the first videogames you've played?
>>
I finished it the other day. It was pretty damn fun. OP's criticisms are genuine, I just used a guide to get all the squids and Tinkerbats. My main complaint is that the level layout is just:
Boat =========> Dungeon

Good art direction though and I liked the dialogue overlay. Those fucking hands though, what the hell, man.

Just started playing pic related on hard mode, and even though it's not as well written it's super fun. That fight with Pardoner Fennel is GOAT.
>>
>>337588957
>That's like saying I shouldn't be able to progress in Mario because I skipped text.
You're just trying to say this game is something it never pretended to be, then getting mad at it for punishing you for treating it like a raw platformer with nothing backing it.
I don't get mad at Mario for not having dialogue because I don't expect it to have dialogue. Like, 10/10 trolling this is just retarded enough to get me.
>>
>>337588914

My issue with it actually arose with not knowing I had to talk to Squid Baron 4 times.

The Lost Soul stuff was also dumb, I knew whose soul it was immediately but couldn't use it.

This issue is exacerbated by the amount of backtracking you have to do to get to these conversations, you have to do the fucking Royal Forest bit a minimum of 7 times in the game.
>>
>>337587393
Assets are 240p. The resolutions they include aren't multiples of 240. So it looks like fucking shit with uneven pixels and distortion.
>>
>>337589135

That's fair, I suppose. It certainly wasn't advertised that way, though.
>>
>>337584623
>What made you think this was good enough to get into Smash??
that was one very dedicated and very pathetic person and he flipped his shit all over the internet
>>
>>337588720
>You're wrong, off the top of my head there's the Squid in the bottom left of the break-the-blocks room in Tan-line's second dungeon.
You mean this one?

https://youtu.be/dZBwsCn3ciY?t=12m45s

If you attack the enemy you're probably going to hit that block as well. The enemy is the hint, it's off to the corner in a place you wouldn't go to if you were going for the obvious path forward (the right side).

Also that doesn't require backtracking since you start the game with your basic attack.

>The very first thing the game tells you once you are given full control is that you can skip conversations. It doesn't warn you that conversations are how you actually progress in the game.
Have you ever considered you're just bad at videogames?
>>
>>337589312
Sounds like you just flat out didn't enjoy the gameplay so everything else sucked as a result.
I don't mind backtracking in games that I like playing or moving through, this is one of them. It's not overly complex but it's still fun.

>>337589419
>It certainly wasn't advertised that way
I don't know what advertisements you looked up but looking at any dev interview at all will certainly tell you the opposite. Most gameplay footage shown pre release was conversations with characters.
>>
File: 1357934105789.gif (2 MB, 236x224) Image search: [Google]
1357934105789.gif
2 MB, 236x224
>>337585275
>Conversations are long

Most of them are less than 10 text boxes total with about 5 words each.
>>
>>337589308

There's certainly nothing on the Steam page that tells me that after doing area 3, I have to talk to people in areas 2 and 1 in order to go 4.

Sure, my expectations are part of the problem here, but when the game is advertised as an action platformer with quirky characters and not much else, how far do you want me to extrapolate?
>>
>>337589596

I liked the dungeon sections outside of smashing a billion walls trying to earn health power ups.

The bosses were the most enjoyable part of the game, outside of hit detection issues with the hair.

The final gauntlet up the tower is fucking great, exactly what I was hoping for going into it, outside of having to do the forest again.

I one of those people who can enjoy parts of games while still calling a duck a duck.
>>
>>337589652
You shouldn't need to extrapolate if you've ever played a video game before
Are action platformers not allowed to have backtracking to talk to characters to advance the plot?
Like do you not realize you're complaining about a feature often found in the very genre you're criticizing?
>>
>>337589632

Primary offenders are

The whole new-boyfriend bit(s)
End of Tan-Line first dungeon.
Every part of the game involving the Frankenstein family.
Squid Baron.

Not a huge deal, but once again, the amount of backtracking affected my perception of these events.
>>
I'm too used to the whips in Castlevania games. Attacking in Shantae just doesn't feel satisfying at all and the hair whip range is too short for me (unless you can make it longer later in the game, but I've never played beyond the first few bosses). Most of the time when I play the games I kind of lose track of what I'm supposed to do and end up getting lost, though I'm assuming it's more of me not being interested enough in the game to pay attention rather than the game not being clear on where to head to next.
>>
>>337590169
I dunno I liked getting the upgrades to make the hair attack work at sanic speeds. It felt pretty cool at that point. Plus you get plenty of other combat options as the game moves along.
>>
File: 1461901970463.jpg (84 KB, 700x520) Image search: [Google]
1461901970463.jpg
84 KB, 700x520
>>337588720
>how was I supposed to know I need to talk to NPCs to know what to do next
>I skipped dialogue and then got lost, it's the game's fault
Well I guess that's enough /v/ for me today.
>>
>>337590062

>Are action platformers not allowed to have backtracking to talk to characters to advance the plot

Not when the action is entirely linear in the first place, thus why this type of thing would be acceptable in a Metroidvania but not here.

Plus, having your main gateways be conversations in an action game is... lame. Most good Metroidvanias have you running around to find a new mid-boss, blow something up, or move a major obstacle or solve a puzzle you couldn't' before, not here about how cock thirsty your bird friend is.

I'm starting to get concerned though, thinking the game was better than I thought it was is one thing, but people in this thread seem to think all of my complaints are excusable just because it's Shantae and you hate casuals or something. Why the hell do you think the game is so great?
>>
>>337585275
>100% the game without a walkthrough demands that you slam into every wall of the game, even though there's no indication as to why certain things are different.
but that's wrong, you're a retard
>>
>>337590413
It's literally never been marketed as anything more than a fun, casual action platformer with cute characters that have fun conversations.
I don't know how you went into it expecting super metroid but that's on you. I thought the gameplay itself was simple but fun way of conveying me to the next character interaction sequence, with the additional benefit of some actual fun bosses.

>I'm starting to get concerned though, thinking the game was better than I thought it was is one thing, but people in this thread seem to think all of my complaints are excusable just because it's Shantae and you hate casuals or something. Why the hell do you think the game is so great?
No one is saying they're excusable, they're just calling you a retard. You're allowed to have your complaints, and indeed most people have claimed some of them as legitimate. But the other half of your problems stem from you insisting that we've been saying this game is some holy grail when all it's ever been called it fun and cute
>>
>>337590365

>Game says you can use fast travel right away
>If you use it, the game makes you skip story cues you were supposed to hit by walking to a location anyway
>Not bad game design.

You don't give a player a tool, fail to mention any potential downsides, and then punish them for using the tool (in this case, wandering aimlessly is about as bad of a punishment as a game gets). These a basic commandments of game design. They teach you about this in fucking Mario Maker of all things, six years old understand this concept.

/v/'s only defense seems to be "But others games made you X or Y so you should have known", if that's the case you could defend scores of other unpredictable bullshit by pointing to any given game as "inspiration". Should I know off the top of my head to talk to people 10 times in row just in case conversations change? Should I return to locations based on my computer's clock? Should I be sure to feed the mayor atleast once every level or expect not to get the best ending? Foreseeability is the crux of enjoyable entertainment, the idea that when you do A, you're fairly sure B will happen, you jump, you come down, you attack an enemy, they take damage, when you fuck with that and make the player start guessing for no fucking reason, you've made a mistake.
>>
>>337590414

Sewer Bat, you literally have to do what I just described.
>>
>>337590413
>Why the hell do you think the game is so great?
I personally don't think it's that great. The gameplay and platforming are pretty basic and the only challenging part is the final level.

But the characters are cute and endearing and the writing has some good humor. It's simply a charming game. Also it's fun on Risky mode.
>>
>>337591001
It's not fast travel, it just tells you that you can skip text.
There's multiple endings in the game so it's not unreasonable to want to skip text on replays.
The game shouldn't need to mention "potential downsides" to literally skipping text because you have to be absolutely fucking retarded to do so on your first playthrough when the game establishes very quickly that important info is distributed through the same means.
>>
>>337590752

I'm only comparing my experience to what the Steam page described.
>>
>>337584623
sm4sh was pretty shitty though
>>
>>337591283
>Upgrade Shantae's hair and weapons or unlock advanced Fighter's Moves. Locate maps, return lost Heart Squids, collect rare loot, and laugh out loud at the weird, wild, and wonderfully humorous cast of characters. Incredible high resolution artwork, unlockable Pirate-Mode, multiple endings, and an unforgettable soundtrack make this one game you won't want to miss!
This all is in the game

Additionally, scrolling down to the reviews will provide further
>Much like its predecessor in the series, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is a casual adventure platformer with a charming cartoonish design. As per usual, the new abilities you unlock as the story progresses go hand in hand with increasingly challenging foes and level design. Although some backtracking will at times break the linearity, the game follows a stable pattern of unlocking new areas one after another, each of which will feature some sort of maze-like dungeon where you'll earn a new skill and fight a boss.
>>
>>337591172
There are those stone blocks that can only be broken with the charge, suggesting you should try the charge.
>>
>>337591186

The only thing the game establishes before you are given the info about skipping text is that you need to talk to Risky. That's it. If you don't recall, the opening level is entirely different than the way the actual game plays. Once you're given a choice of who to talk to, there's nothing that indicates you'll have to talk to people and watch cues for which Macguffin to bring to them later.
>>
>>337591579

There are also purple blocks in several parts of the game, only some of which can be whipped despite looking the exact same, what's your point?
>>
>>337590101
If you don't like the characters just stop playing my man
>>
>complaining about backtracking

You know how I know someone hasn't played SatPC or is an idiot?

PIRATE FLARES
>>
File: 1462905526253.jpg (23 KB, 404x267) Image search: [Google]
1462905526253.jpg
23 KB, 404x267
>>337585275
you got the game for a dollar you fucking mongoloid holy fuck
>>
>>337591930

I knew part of the way through the game I was critical of it. I finished it (and even got through 60% of a pirate run) because I don't believe in heavily attacking a game you haven't sufficiently played through. I never got to a point where I was actually absolutely stuck, just bored, and it wasn't that long of a game, so I finished it.

I feel I've earned my right to metaphorically shit on it.
>>
>>337592010
That was a while ago too, I wonder what OP was playing till now?
>>
>>337591972

I used them, but if you're not farming you don't save up a bunch of money after spending them on upgrades.

>>337592010

10, actually, but what's your point, they were asking for 20 at full price, so the game should be worth that.

In fact, I think it was worth the 10 I spent, I more arguing it wasn't worth 20, but could have easily been worth 20 if they'd tried harder and not snorted cocaine throughout the whole thing.
>>
>>337592143
well I got it from the bundle and finished it yesterday, so it's not a stretch
>>
>>337592143

I got it with the anime sale, I waited a while to make this thread, to be fair.

If I told you what I was playing since then, this thread would lose what shreds of quality discussion it still has left, so I'll spare you. Might mention it later, though.
>>
>>337591606
I do recall, but if you find yourself at a loss for what to do generally it's a good idea to talk to NPCs.
I mean what the fuck did you just look at a town full of people and go "nah fuck that" and sprinted past all of them?
I'm not saying the delivery of their methods is perfect, especially with how out of the way squid baron is, but you just have some kind of fundamental misunderstanding of games. If I see an NPC I haven't met in a game, I talk to them to see what relevant dialogue they have. Did you think they would put that many people in the game and NOT have them have any kind of purpose?
>>
>>337592606

"And sprinted past all of them"

Kinda, yeah, talked to a couple, found the kid, learned about skipping stuff, suddenly got really excited for the game, found the Mayor, did some stuff with him, then talked to the guard, saved the game, got the library card, and didn't actually read a shred of dialogue until I got to the beginning of Saliva Island.

You have to remember that the first level of the game is basically a lie as to what is in store, once I got to Saliva I felt I was actually playing the game and that it would mostly be going from one level to the next and that the main island was just a hub for upgrades. Boy was I wrong.
>>
>>337592896
Don't blame the game because you're too retarded to take 5 minutes to read dialogue.
Like that's it, you're just retarded. Any other validity you had is gone, I wanted to be reasonable but it's on you.
>>
File: 1460721515430.gif (1 MB, 263x201) Image search: [Google]
1460721515430.gif
1 MB, 263x201
>>337592341
>snorted cocaine throughout the whole thing.

What the fuck is wrong with you? There's nothing wrong with the game.
>>
>>337591001
Skipping text is a basic function in most games. Fast travel isn't.

It sucks to get lost in a game, unsure of where to go to advance. But what you're supposed to do isn't obscure and out of the way. It doesn't take long at all. You just have to fucking read the short lines of dialogue. As far as I can tell you skipped dialogue because you have ADHD and then complained that you got lost when the game didn't give you a stupid quest log or some shit.

Even if the game didn't have a skip dialogue function you'd probably spam A button to get through it. Someone who would entirely skip dialogue on their first playthrough would do something like that.
>>
>>337593228

You're being unreasonable.

You defend this game as Metroidvania, but you don't have to talk to shit in those games. You don't have to talk to shit in Mario. The Steam Page doesn't tell you to talk to things. These characters aren't standing anywhere near where you actually want to go, it's bullshit. Top that off with the fact that you only get one chance to pick up on some of these cues and it's immediately a game design flaw. You can't expect people to imitate behaviors, especially time wasting ones, across games when the game doesn't explicitly tell you that,' hey, if you don't talk to everyone you need to talk to in the right order, you get locked out.'

No, rather, you get the tutorial level, then as soon as you actually get to make choices in the game, it tells you how to skip conversations, and then it punishes you. It portrays skipping conversations as a legitimate preference, how do you not see that?
>>
>>337593587

>Action-Platformer
>Complaints about pacing and backtracking aren't valid because "MUH CAST OF WILD AND CUHRAZY CHARACTERS"

I'm starting to get it, you guys liked the previous titles and were really excited to see it get revived, and it's basically a nostalgia-trip, so the actual gameplay and flow doesn't really matter to you.

Whatever, enjoy getting one more title, this is why reboots are cancer, they don't have to actually hold themselves up to standards.
>>
>>337592125
Sure, you can say whatever you want about the game. And we can say your criticisms make no sense or show a lack of videogame experience on your part.
>>
>>337593814
There are a ton of games that let you skip cutscenes or dialogue, but put important info in them. Why single Shantae out for that?

Regarding that practice itself, I don't see why it's necessarily a problem. Would you prefer the dialogue be unskippable? I know, you'd prefer the dialogue not be there at all, but that's not how these games are, or are supposed to be. The characters and dialogue are a big part of why people like these games. If you didn't enjoy it, fine, but that's not an objective flaw of the games, that's just your preference.
>>
>>337594137
Half-Genie Hero isn't going a reboot you dummy
>>
>>337594205

Okay, hypothetical. What if this was someone's first game?

A user is a user is a user, you can't make something, say it has mass appeal, and then demand that only people who played the earlier ones are allowed to enjoy it. Games have to have actual direction and clear and proper instruction to players, there are sly, cool ways to do this, like how the very first Goomba encounter in Super Mario Bros is designed to force players how to learn how to jump and what bricks and upgrades do.

It's crass to demand instincts (which aren't even from the action platformer genre) be required to progress in an Action Platformer, which are some of the simplest games by nature.

Simply put, the game is shitty in that it tells you you don't have to do X, but if you don't you can't progress/you waste a huge amount of time. That's bad, plain and simple, replace X with anything and its bad, it's always been bad, and it's always going to be be bad.
>>
>>337594137
>Complaints about pacing and backtracking aren't valid because "MUH CAST OF WILD AND CUHRAZY CHARACTERS"
No one's saying the game's flaws are excused because of the characters.

People are just calling you retarded for skipping dialogue on your first playthrough, getting lost, and then blaming the game for getting lost.

>this is why reboots are cancer
HGH isn't a reboot.
>>
>>337594553

I'd prefer a million different things to whats actually there.

Yes, if dialogue is so important to progress in this game, you shouldn't make it skippable on first play throughs, or atleast hide the option away.

You're forgetting that the first thing the game tells you after you get control of your character is how to skip dialogue. It's immediate. The fucking kid is standing two steps to the left of the lab's entrance. It might as well have been a popup that showed up after you finished the tutorial.
>>
File: 1450596086171.jpg (105 KB, 933x573) Image search: [Google]
1450596086171.jpg
105 KB, 933x573
why is there videogames discussion here
>>
>>337595262
>>you shouldn't make it skippable on first play throughs
Maybe you shouldn't have skipped it on your first playthough, anon.
>>
>>337595445
ha
>>
File: 1429991370059.jpg (126 KB, 790x1024) Image search: [Google]
1429991370059.jpg
126 KB, 790x1024
>>337594985
>Games have to have actual direction and clear and proper instruction to players
This game does have proper instruction to players, you just skipped past it for some reason. You had weird preconceptions based on the game being labeled "action platformer" (which a lot of very different games can be defined as) and immediately decided dialogue couldn't possibly have been important.
>>
>>337595716

It told me I could and there was no indication this would lock me out from progressing in the game, maybe from a spare item or two or lore, but not from the fucking gameplay itself.
>>
>>337596093

The first thing the game does after the tutorial is tell you that you can skip it. It wasn't a gateway in the tutorial, so where else does it tell you that its a requirement for progress?
>>
File: 1462289494711.png (107 KB, 341x334) Image search: [Google]
1462289494711.png
107 KB, 341x334
>REEEEEEEEE WHY DOES THIS GAME HAVE WORDS IN THE FORM OF DIALOG I WANT TO SKIP IT

>WOOOOOOOW HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT THE CONVERSATIONS WERE RELEVANT TO ADVANCING THROUGH AREAS
>>
>>337584841
Viscous
>>
>>337596528

>Game: You can choose to do X, but you don't have to!
>Later
>Game: WHY THE FUcCK DIDnTY YOU Do XXXX???????
>>
>>337596768
>skipping dialogue on your first playthrough
>skipping dialogue you've never read before
why
>>
>>337596390
>>337596501
Even if you skip dialogue you can usually get an idea of what to do next by talking to an NPC again. They'll mention such and such a place and that means you should probably go that way. I remember that the buff cyclops mentioning that his blade was in the desert after exhausting his dialogue, and I remember Rottytops mentioning to dig around the zombie areas after exhausting her dialogue at one point.

>The first thing the game does after the tutorial is tell you that you can skip it.
That doesn't mean you have to do it. Getting lost is entirely your fault.

>>337596929
See
>>337589652
>it was advertised as an action platformer, surely there was no way dialogue could be important, all action platformers are the same.
>>
>>337596929

It's an action game and it told me I could. Period.
>>
>>337592341
You get plenty of Gems and food, otherwise. Plenty.
>>
>>337585275
>backtracking
>in a Metroidvania
wow who would've thought
>>
>>337597409

>Repeating an arguement from earlier in the thread, when the thread isn't even 200 posts long.

Get lost, faggot
>>
>>337597834
I'd rather just skip straight to calling you a retard without having to read all of your posts to confirm it first
>>
File: 1456391509330.png (308 KB, 475x526) Image search: [Google]
1456391509330.png
308 KB, 475x526
In order to "learn" that pressing start skips conversations, you had to go out of your way to start a conversation with an NPC.
>>
File: Patrick.jpg (37 KB, 479x349) Image search: [Google]
Patrick.jpg
37 KB, 479x349
>>337584623
>skip dialogue on first playthrough
>it's suddenly the games fault you got lost
>>
>>337597182
And so you did it without think of the possibility of it being your first play that maybe some useful information might come by for all you know maybe the option to skip the text was intended for people who've beaten the game.
>>
File: Ce-EUj9WEAEIjMX.jpg (68 KB, 600x841) Image search: [Google]
Ce-EUj9WEAEIjMX.jpg
68 KB, 600x841
>>337589231
Hell yeah nigger. The only real complaint I have with it is that the bow can be a bit overpowered and that Fennel is the high point of the game. While there were fun bosses aside from her, none of them were as hard or memorable.
>>
I liked pirate's curse, but, lacking transformations sucked.
>>
File: Never forget.jpg (17 KB, 335x363) Image search: [Google]
Never forget.jpg
17 KB, 335x363
>I don't like thing hence it's objectively shit
This shit needs to die.
>>
>>337600438
But shooting that pistol sure was nice. As was the cannon.
>>
>>337587706
fucking this. congrats op for exposing how shitty these games are. of course the 13 year olds in this thread cant listen to reason with their dicks in their hand
>>
>>337585275
>100% the game without a walkthrough demands that you slam into every wall of the game, even though there's no indication as to why certain things are different.

Fuck off I 100% the game with no guide and never player this bitch game before the only thing that I needed a guide for which I overheard on /v/ was the throwback dungeon and gauntlet which I don't think was required for 100%. These retarded lines of text showed me you have no experience with metrodvanias let alone games.
>>
>>337601529
Yep, the dungeon and gauntlet are completely optional
>>
>>337585275

Holy fucking christ what a faggot look at him an laugh
>>
>>337586054
>It's not a Metroidvania, it's fucking linear.
see: Metroid Fusion
Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.