[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aside from "Le combat xD" falseflagging and the NPCs,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: Morrowind_1.jpg (18 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Morrowind_1.jpg
18 KB, 320x240
Aside from "Le combat xD" falseflagging and the NPCs, prove to me how this is not the best in its series.

Oblivion had the best quests, but a generic world. Also had the best OST. Skyrim had the best nothing outside of graphics. Morrowind had the best world, the best main quest, the best replayability factor, and the best secrets. Also had the best cities.

Don't even bother spouting "Nostalgiafag", I played Skyrim and Oblivion before I got deep into Morrowind.

Morrowind >= Oblivion > Daggerfall > Skyrim > Arena.
>>
Yeah it's kinda fun, but once you've done all the quests, that's pretty much it. Eventually all the dungeons will be empty and all the NPCs will have nothing more to say.
That doesn't happen in Daggerfall, you can always go to a new region, there's always another dungeon, and always more work to do.

In Daggerfall if I like a place, I can buy a house and live there. In Morrowind if I like a place, I have to murder and steal a house (even if I'm playing a good guy) or be a bum who sleeps in a tavern every day. That's no life for a retired adventurer.
>>
>>337526042
>Generic world
That's why you use mods that turn Cyrodiil into a jungle like it was originally supposed to be, with a monster mod installed.
>>
>>337526795

And that's why I fucking love Daggerfall. You can get entirely absorbed in the game, the world is so huge, there's so much to explore, and the randomization works out in its favor like that.

I'd put DF higher but Oblivion was my first so I'm rather fond towards it.

Also, the house thing in Morrowind is untrue. You had faction strongholds, if you joined the great houses, which you had no reason not to unless you were an RPer.
>>
>>337527070
defending oblivion
>>
>>337526042
>Generic world
I must be a huge faggot because I loved the Oblivion forest lands. I actually have a huge boner for snowy winter areas but Skyrim was so boring and streamlined that it ruined the whole thing for me.
>>
>>337527070

I'm talking about vanilla.
>>
>>337527346

I didn't really enjoy Oblivion's world. Skyrim wasn't entirely snowy winter, you had The Rift, The Reach, whatever hold had Solitude. I think Oblivion has a comfy world, but not a good one. And the comfy factor only comes from its art style and music.
>>
>>337526795
In Daggerfall, an NPC will never say anything new to you. Everything is always identical no matter how many regions you move or how many dungeons you visit. You can go to a procedurally generated dungeon to get a pile of generic loot that resets as soon as you leave, or do a randomly generated quest that is broken even after all the fan patches 50% of the time. That's it.
>>
>>337527484

It's a Bethesda game, they're not known for being stable. Also you can't really expect the NPCs to have that kind of depth with the scale Daggerfall does. It's not really fair.
>>
File: MGE Screenshot 014 - Copy.jpg (947 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
MGE Screenshot 014 - Copy.jpg
947 KB, 1920x1080
Great game
>>
It's still a bad game. If you ever just step back and examine it you will recognize it as bad. It's the least worst, but that's not saying much with Bethesda.
>>
>>337527484
NPCs in Daggerfall will talk about what's happening in the region, which changes with the quests that you do. That may not be deep or anything, but how deep do you expect conversations with an AI to get? They react to what you do.

Different regions have different art styles for buildings and dungeons.

Better to have infinite content that differs every time than limited content that is always exactly the same, meaning you play exactly the same way every time.
>>
>>337526042
>Also had the best OST

say that to my face motherfucker
>>
In Morrowind the game always starts the same, you always go the same dungeon and know exactly how to do everything, and there isn't even much to do. Kill one of 5 NPCs (who are exactly the same as the last time), get a key to unlock a door (or pick it) and maybe, just maybe, jump over a platform.
In Daggerfall you never know if you'll survive the next dungeon, you'll need a combination of combat skills and climbing, jumping, and swimming. If you lack in any of these areas you might not be able to complete the quest or see the whole dungeon. This will never, EVER happen in Morrowind.
>>
>>337526042
>released from the prison thing
>pick up dagger
>go outside
>start slashing some elf manlet
>nothing happens
>no damage
>no blood
>nothing
>die
>uninstall

Easily most overrated piece of shit I've ever played.
>>
>>337527204
>M-Muh Skuhrim
Come back to me when you're balls have dropped.
>>
Morrowind is just a proof positive of whether or not you hate reading, or simple math. Or you have no patience.

Otherwise it's a really fun game.
>>
>>337526042

Morrowind is fun because it's a broken mess of a game.
>>
>>337528470

Well I love reading, and while I didn't hate math, I didn't like it either.

>>337528351

Ebin, mate.

>>337528197

I can slightly agree with that, but Daggerfall's climbing is broke as shit. I've often fell through the world into the negative zone trying to climb.

>>337528546

You nailed it, anon. I love the game so much because exploiting the fuck out of it is so much fun.

>Soul trap glitch to get Willpower to 700
>Do that for every other attribute
>Buy a skill fortification spell in Mournhold
>Get every skill to 100
>Get bound armor
>Start soul trapping golden saints for money
>Walk into Red Mountain with 2,000 armor, 400 speed, and basically invincible to every attack since you have 5 gorillion HP
>>
>>337528470
I actually liked reading what npcs had to say

What I like most though is the OP as fuck alchemy, I wish the other games could have it possible to make potions that can boost attributes by 400 points for 1200 seconds.
>>
>>337527949
And that's not how you play Daggerfall? You immediately get a horse and a cart, because completing quests and surviving diseases is impossible otherwise, and then you either do identical fetch quests and grind your reputation up to unlock a couple items off a generic list of functions, like training skills and making potions, or you explore randomly generated dungeons that barely actually differ from each other, since there is only so many gimmicks the game can throw at you before things start repeating themselves and the teleporting door gets old.

The only thing that breaks the mold is the main quest, and it's even shorter than in Morrowind.
>>
>>337527949
That's not true at all. I would much rather have substantial, interesting content with its own unique facets than a blend of repeatable, procedural mush.
>>
>>337528772

Turn you speed up on your character from the console, just do it. It barely effects your character if you avoid athletics. It's something I recommend completely.
>>
Oblivion is just so comfy to walk around and hear that beautiful music
>>
>>337528901

Procedural generation can work out well or bad depending on its execution. In something like NetHack, it works out infinitely well because it guarantees a new experience each time you play. In something like Daggerfall, it sort of works out and doesn't.

>>337528941
Why do that when I can do the soultrap glitch on a pure fighter?
>>
Only problem that Morrowind has is that using isometric RPG style combat calculations doesn't really work that well in a FPS game, but yeah, it's not a big deal once you realize how it works + level up your combat skills just a little bit up.
>>
>>337528772
>Ebin, mate.

Not an argument
>>
>>337529061
>FPS
Blast it, let's just pretend that I never pit that one S in there. Getting too tired to write sensibly, I guess.
>>
is there any good reason not to just play morroblivion?
>>
File: Morrowind is the best TES.webm (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Morrowind is the best TES.webm
1 MB, 640x360
>>337526042

Also don't forget about openMW

openmw.org
>>
>>337528772

You know it, friend. An open sand box game with a broken game mechanic. By no means a good game, but oh boy is it fun.
>>
>>337529225
Not when Open MW or just plain old modded MW exist. Morroblivion also looks like shit.
>>
>>337526042
>walk insanely slow
>roads are contrived in zig zags and loop de loops to inflate travel time because the world is small
>people just standing in the road everywhere with fetch quest #111
>get attacked by a rat, nix hound and cliff racer every 5 feet

the world itself has good variation but actually playing it just makes me want to play oblivion instead.
>>
>>337529073
you don't come to 4chain for arguments and civil debate faggot.
>>
>>337528197
Are you kidding? There's plenty of quests you can't complete in morrowind if you don't have the right gear or skills. There are plenty of dungeons that can't be fully explored without leven at ion or water breathing.
>>
>>337529557
>4chan is almost nothing but anonymous text
>not for arguments or civil debate
>>
File: 1444777945413.jpg (17 KB, 187x178) Image search: [Google]
1444777945413.jpg
17 KB, 187x178
>>337529241
>make new character
>pick Bosmer who have no bonuses to short sword
>make webm of attacking with no stamina
>maximum bait.webm
>>
>>337529241
>>337528772
>>337528351

EXACTLY THIS

fucking stupid game, how is that slash and nothing bullshit supposed to be fun?
>>
>>337530432
Did you ever think that it might just not be your cup of tea? Are you expecting fucking chivalry combat or something?
>>
>>337530634
I expect my fucking sword to hit something and then some visual feed back like a stagger.
>>
>>337530837
Then spec in skills that allow you to do that you tremendous faggot
>>
>>337530950
my point is if you don't have the stats, your sword does absolutely nothing. It literally phases through their model as if they are not there. It breaks suspension of disbelief and it looks bad. At the very least make it do 0 damage and add a hit sound and some minor bleeding,
>>
Morrowind is one of my all time favourite games, but it still pisses me off that you have to "game the system" to level your stats properly.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.