[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Games today have graphics so good they could pass for actual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 12
File: bad movie CGI.webm (2 MB, 940x529) Image search: [Google]
bad movie CGI.webm
2 MB, 940x529
>Games today have graphics so good they could pass for actual CGI from early 2000's hollywood films done on render farms
>/v/ still complains

Webm related, this could have been a stunt shot straight out of some 2002 Brendan Frasier adventure film
>>
>this could have been a stunt shot straight out of some 2002 Brendan Frasier adventure film
>camera trailing behind extremely closely in the one take

No.
>>
The reflections in the doom PC version alone beat what you just posted
>>
>>337515380
That's exactly the point. It could be a movie.
I want a game with good gameplay, not 4 hours of cutscenes.
>>
>>337515380

Too bad the third act is bad and therefore Sony is dead
>>
>>337515850
It plays pretty good after the first 4 hours of movie wank.
>>
>>337515380
Making graphics the defining part of your game is like making the paint job the defining feature of your car
>>
>haha
>oh shit
>>
File: ow_kingsrow.jpg (218 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
ow_kingsrow.jpg
218 KB, 1920x1200
The problem with modern graphics is what devs choose to emphasize. We've got this weird "hyper realistic" emphasis combining with mediocre hardware so they have to make sacrifices (usually in areas like draw distance, LOD, anistropic filtering, AA) when if devs were smart they'd make more stylyzed games that will look good for years and don't require as much processing power.

I'll take Splatoon or Overwatch graphics over Rise of the Tomb Raider and Uncharted 4 any day.
>>
>>337515808
The game itself looks much better than OPs ugly shitty compressed webm.
>>
The only time people shitpost about the graphics is in retaliation to the Sonyggers who frequently post shit like "this is literally the best looking game in existence" or "this is an image from Uncharted. I repeat, this is not a real photo, but a grab from Uncharted." Most people shit on the fact that this is trying way too fucking hard to be a movie. The gameplay consists of QTEs/button prompts, platforming that's impossible to fail, and generic third person shooting.
>>
>>337516275
Thats why i said "what you posted"
>>
>>337516047
>≈ 15 hours to beat
>...of which 4 are cutscenes
>..and the rest are QTEs/basic cover-base shooting
>60$

10/10 masterpiece.
>>
The only game I've played that legit looks close to CGI quality visuals is Paragon.
>>
File: tf2_art.jpg (221 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
tf2_art.jpg
221 KB, 1280x960
>>337516238
>>337516238

Just look at how well TF2 still holds up today, nearly 10 years later. These games age better because they look the way you remember them even after years, while realistic crap stops looking realistic a few years later.
>>
so how's the gameplay?
>>
>>337516275
I'm sure Neogaf has plenty of uncompressed webms for you.
>>
>>337516238

And the interesting thing about unrealistic art styles is that they do not age. WoW looks good today with small graphical updates despite being over a decade old. Meanwhile, games that looked great back then that were attempting realistic graphical styles now look awful.

If a game is aiming at longevity I think unrealistic graphical styles are the way to go.
>>
>>337515380
>graphics so good they could pass for actual CGI from early 2000's hollywood films
No, they could pass for a terribly CGI animated film.

The problem here is that it went for realism and ended up looking goofy.
>>
The whole scene is blur.
It looks kinda cool i guess, nothing impressive though for 2016.

Lets face it, weve been presented with so many lackluster games in the last 5-8 years that the tiniest bit of effort looks great.

Nothing against uncharted, never played them.

Im sick of knowing the potential we could have, and seeing what were given across all platforms.

It blows my mind that no one hasnt made a PC based multiplat or exclusive just to show off what they COULD do.
>>
>>337515701
>>camera trailing behind extremely closely in the one take

Thats actually what happens in the game, the OP is someone who edited the footage or intentionally tried to screw it up
>>
>>337516386
>of which 4 are cutscenes

I said first 4 hours dude. Pay attention.

>basic cover base shooting

Anon...
>>
>>337516531
Of course it's what happens in the game, but it's not something that could have happened in real life in a fucking movie at that time.

Even now they don't do these takes.
>>
File: itubkagykgc.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
itubkagykgc.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
>>
>>337515380
>CGI from early 2000's
>good
dumb graphicsposter
>>
I don't see a problem with the way this looks
>>
>>337516238

>I'll take Splatoon or Overwatch graphics over Rise of the Tomb Raider and Uncharted 4 any day.

Right so art direction is more important than technical detail and its funny because you are right, Overwatch and Splatoon have great artstyles, so dose Uncharted 4 but that's unsurprisingly the game that you haven't actually played.

Tomb Raider has no art style and tries to compensate with hyper-realistic graphics, That game is actually shit but to put it in the same league as Uncharted 4 or to imply their design choices and art styles are even remotely similar is dismissive and ignorant.
>>
>>337515380
>Brendan Frasier
JUST
U
S
T
>>
This is a good lesson to learn, OP. No matter how much technology advances, no matter how much video games become capable of doing, you'll still never be happy.
>>
File: SidToyStory.jpg (400 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
SidToyStory.jpg
400 KB, 1920x1080
>>337517028
>>337517037
I would actually take this over the Toy Story cgi every day
>>
File: 0220rexxar.jpg (185 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
0220rexxar.jpg
185 KB, 1024x768
>>337516429
>WoW looks good today
No it doesn't.
>with small graphical updates despite being over a decade old
They overhauled the Azeroth, all of the original character models, and water.
If I remember correctly they're also revamping the particle effects for most of the skills in the new expac.
>>
>>337517378

It can look great when done right though!
>>
File: 1342504826552.gif (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1342504826552.gif
3 MB, 320x240
>>337516429
>WoW looks good today
>>
>>337516709
>Anon...
I'm sorry, are you implying that UC4 does anything special in terms of cover shooting?
It's certainly no Max Payne.
>>
>>337515380
Yeah nice movie game
>>
>>
>>337517830
Cover shooting, stealth, and parkour. The elements combine pretty well to make some pretty fun guerilla combat.

It doesn't have the slo-mo that Max Payne has, but for sure it is more complex regardless.
>>
>>337518589
>Cover shooting, stealth, and parkour.
Right, these are pretty basic for third person shooters.
In fact, I could probably name 10 off the top of my head that do all of this within the past 2 years.
>>
>>337518693
>these are pretty basic for third person shooters.

Yeah they exist, but they aren't combined well anon.

>I could name 10

Well go on.
>>
>>337515380
You know what the problem is?
those movies from 2000 look terrible too, with the advancement in technology we have a higher expectation for these products.
>>
>>337518813
>Yeah they exist, but they aren't combined well anon.
They're combined as well as they need to be.
>Well go on.
Watch_Dogs
GTA V
The Division
Quantum Break
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Umbrella Corps
Devil's Third
MGS V
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Nevermind all the first person games that also combine all of these elements.
>>
>>337515380
Games today also have gameplay so "good" they could pass for an early 2000s hollywood film.
>>
>>337519427
>GTA V
>MGSV
>parkour

>watchdogs
>good combination of anything

That game is fucking easy mode.

>combined as well as they need to be

What a fucking stupid sentence that is. You can say that any retarded dumb fuck "combination" is as well as it "needs" to be.

Anyway I know for sure that MGSV is a better game than U4 regardless, but U4 does not have merely basic cover shooting just because there are a few games that are better.
>>
>>337515380
Gameplay could pass for early 2000s Hollywood films too.
>>
>Games today have gameplay so sparse and uninteresting they could basically pass for movies in general
>>
>>337519901
>That game is fucking easy mode.
And UC4 isn't?
>but U4 does not have merely basic cover shooting just because there are a few games that are better.
But it does, the mechanics are sound but basic, UC4 does nothing that hasn't been done since the PS1 days.
After all, it's a Tomb Raider clone.
>>
just makes me wish spec ops had gotten the same budget/development
>>
So it's an interactive movie that gives 15 hours max of gameplay and then you're done. I'd rather something like BF4 with worse graphics but heaps more gameplay potential.
>>
>>337520431
>And UC4 isn't?

Nope. Have you played it?

>UC4 does nothing that hasn't been done since the PS1 days

Lmao, so no.

I'm afraid watching youtube videos of casuals playing on easy difficulties (ie. not the highest), and not taking advantage of the various options available to them does not mean you played it.
>>
>>337520693
>Nope. Have you played it?
I've played 2 and 3, don't see why 4 wouldn't be just as easy.
Please anon, give me some reasons as to why it wouldn't.
>I'm afraid watching youtube videos of casuals playing on easy difficulties
I'm speaking mechanically m8.
>>
>>337520640
>So it's an interactive movie that gives 15 hours max of gameplay and then you're done

it has multiplayer, shitposter-kun
>>
>>337520813
>don't see why 4 wouldn't be just as easy.

Because their last game had a difficulty setting where you died if you got so much as shot once. Not that the same happens in U4, but there are a lot more enemies around, and they don't patrol in predictable patterns like that game.

And btw 2 and 3 locked the highest settings behind replays anyway. Only a casual would want to replay this shit anyway. These games are kind of worthless on anything but the highest.

>mechanically

You haven't even played the game, and you think you know shit about its mechanics? lol
>>
>>337518018
something about this lighting looks way off
>>
>>337521184
>Because their last game had a difficulty setting where you died if you got so much as shot once.
Yea, that's not difficulty.
That's like saying Black Ops 3 is insanely hard because it also has a difficulty where getting shot once kills you.
Doesn't make the AI less stupid, the enemies more varied, or the encounters more unique.
None of these games are particularly hard in any way, even on the higher difficulties.
>You haven't even played the game, and you think you know shit about its mechanics? lol
Like I said, feel free to tell me about them.
>>
>>337515380
>How convenient for that wire to be just the perfect length for him to smash right through a window at the right height.
>>
File: 1336284821607.png (94 KB, 192x187) Image search: [Google]
1336284821607.png
94 KB, 192x187
>>337521496
>Yea, that's not difficulty.

Oh ok. Have a good day shitposter-kun.
>>
>>337521640
So Black Ops 3 is the hardest game ever?
>>
>>337521424
The beams aren't casting umbratic light, which is strange since characters do almost all the time, which they also did in the last of us

Still really good though
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.