[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Civilization VI
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 17
File: CivRev-PC.png (446 KB, 580x388) Image search: [Google]
CivRev-PC.png
446 KB, 580x388
Newish article about the choice in art style
https://archive.is/Tf6Vj

>That pointed to the need for an art style that looks just as good from far away as it does up close. “You want to make sure that things are readable from that distance, and one of the ways to do that is to really put an emphasis on shape and form. It’s obviously a little more readable if you have different silhouettes to things.” To that end, he says, the on-map characters we’ll see have more exaggerated proportions than those in Civilization 5, which makes them easily recognizable at a distance. “Warriors are definitely bigger. They’ve got a very thick silhouette and are just big massive guys, and you have smaller guys who are still heroic, but leaner. So you can tell the difference right away between an Archer and a Warrior.”

>At the same time, we’re also promised greater detail up close than ever before. For instance, Busatti says we’ll see more customization in basic unit types in their representation from culture to culture than in past Civilization games. “We still have our unique units. Like, you see the Samurai, which are still unique the Japanese. But even the base units, like the Pikemen, all have a cultural flare to them.” Drawing from a collection of region-specific cosmetic pieces, Firaxis is creating variations to suit their home countries. “You still need to be able to read them as Pikemen – he still needs a long post, and it’s a very iconic shape. But we’ve gone a little further by changing up helmets, maybe the ends of the pike looks slightly different depending on the region the character is from. We’ve also got different skin tones, different ethnicity for the characters.” He adds that these cosmetic tweaks are the sort of thing modders will be able to put their own spin on very easily.

tl;dr:
Japan confirmed. Also unit varieties outside UUs.
>>
pls respond
>>
>>337484795
(You)
>>
>>337484075
>. But we’ve gone a little further by changing up helmets, maybe the ends of the pike looks slightly different depending on the region the character is from. We’ve also got different skin tones, different ethnicity for the characters.”

I actually do think that's pretty neat. But as of this screenshot, I'm not really seeing a "cultural flare" to Japanese pikeman yet.

They look pretty damn European to me.
>>
>>337487564

I'm seeing some of those silly face masks tho
>>
seeing how they fucked up beyond earth i would skip getting hyped for it because it'll be shit, at least 1-2 years after release
>>
>>337487919
Beyond Earth was a BE team
>>
File: 1456222983004.jpg (76 KB, 640x641) Image search: [Google]
1456222983004.jpg
76 KB, 640x641
>>337488425
im listening
>>
never once had a problem figuring out immediately what's happening outside of how much time it's gonna take for a worker to finish. Each unit type has their own symbol and model and I have a memory that -gasp- lasts more than 5 seconds, the textures were nice and effective and the colour scheme was both realistic and pleasant. If anything that new camera angle will fuck me over
We iPhone game now, cartoony saturated graphics, blurry bland textures, chibi characters and a terrible camera
>>
>>337489027
do you have a video you're referring to?
>>
tldr;

We didn't wanna invest on a new graphics engine and we want the mobile game audience.

Thank you for saving me time and money. Even the water in Civ 5 looks 100 times better than Civ 6. Those fight naval ships look like kid toys rendered in Civ 6's engine. What a fucking joke. Was X-Com 2 good at least to tide me over till a new statregy game comes out.
>>
>>337487564
>I'm not really seeing a "cultural flare" to Japanese pikeman yet.
stupid cucks are probably talking about the color of their sleeves

DONT FALL FOR HYPE EVER
>>
>>337484075
I like everything about this, and I don't mind the art direction in general at all.
>>
>>337489331
when I was reading how they were going to make custom units to the civ it sounded so stupid. "we're going to change a little bit of each unit". I thought they were fucking kidding me because I'm stoned right now and thought I was high.
>>
>>337489212
X-com 2 has some performance issues but past that its ok
>>
>>337488946
It was a low risk cash in mod made by a separate team while the main civ team created Civ VI.
>>
File: 1387262912570.jpg (36 KB, 261x260) Image search: [Google]
1387262912570.jpg
36 KB, 261x260
>>337488946
>>337489027
>>337489212
>>337489465
>>337487564
It's funny because now people are claiming BE looks better than VI, even though the game itself was just a reskin of Civ 5 haphazardly thrown together by two hacks whose only previous experience making games was with mobile shit.

Meanwhile VI has Ed Beach who was the lead designer for both GoK and BNW expansions and who's trying to make the whole map important instead of just the cities while also having diplomacy options evolve through the ages and doing more to address the 1UPT problem some people had without going back to full stacks.

And people think VI is going to going to be Firaxis' mobile entry, even though they already have that covered with their Revolutions titles.

All because of slightly more vibrant colors and less cluttered terrain, which they've already explained is necessary because of the new district mechanics they're implementing.
>>
>>337484075
>Japan confirmed

Nigga, you can see the red/white borders in the screenshots. You can also see Egypt with the yellow/purple.
>>
>>337490443
>And people think VI is going to going to be Firaxis' mobile entry, even though they already have that covered with their Revolutions titles.

To be fair the first thing i thought when I saw the screenshots was Civ rev 3.
>>
File: I am angry about Gandhi.png (8 KB, 418x114) Image search: [Google]
I am angry about Gandhi.png
8 KB, 418x114
haha
>>
File: 1463137250260.gif (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1463137250260.gif
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>
>>337490651
Those could be anybody's Japanese coloured borders and samurais.
>>
File: 1260814763110.png (365 KB, 510x480) Image search: [Google]
1260814763110.png
365 KB, 510x480
>>337490894
>>
I still don't see how the new city districts system is going to be anything more than a cheap gimmick
>>
>>337490894
Ahsoka chan?
>>
File: CivV-Pillaging_Japanese_iron.jpg (305 KB, 1591x784) Image search: [Google]
CivV-Pillaging_Japanese_iron.jpg
305 KB, 1591x784
>>337490808
They could probably dial it down a little, but in no way should they use Civ 5's aesthetic for what they're trying to do for this game. They're right when they say this needs to be recognizable when you zoom out.

Trying to make it look like Civ 5 would make the district system an absolutely clusterfuck.
>>
>>337491192
Basically you can cripple an entire empire without ever going for the city centers. Just pillaging the shit out of their district tiles.

That includes taking out encampments that buff city defenses.
>>
>>337491603
I never thought about that. I stand corrected
>>
File: 20160513161356_1.jpg (601 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160513161356_1.jpg
601 KB, 1920x1080
>>337487564
wow I'm so hyped for Civ VI! Who could ever play this current crap? How can I even tell literally what in the fuck is happening on the screen right now?
>>
Don't see a problem with the art style.
>>
File: 1456672637848.jpg (48 KB, 415x415) Image search: [Google]
1456672637848.jpg
48 KB, 415x415
>>337491763
>he plays with all the resource icons and yields on
>>
>>337484075
It looks like CivRev got upgraded to relevant tier.

I'm interested in it but I probably won't pick it up until all the DLC has released making it worth playing I guess. Although..I said that about Stellaris..
>>
>>337487919
I fell for the BE hype. Twice, if you include RT.

I'm ashamed.
>>
File: 1463000191803.png (76 KB, 134x232) Image search: [Google]
1463000191803.png
76 KB, 134x232
>>337492841
>In designing the tech web, the Beyond Earth team began by going to the Wikipedia article on Alpha Centauri
>>
>>337489940
It's a great game if you've never played XCOMEU/EW

Shame they'll be the ones to make the remake of TFTD though.

Ah well, let's hope they don't try to remake Apocalypse, that game was phat.
>>
>>337490443
I hope they let armies get combined on the same tile like in CivRev, but limited to one army type per tile. In CivRev (and other games too of course) you had a defender unit, a basic land attacking unit, and a city sieging unit, all could only attack adjacent tiles, but it was fairly well done. Example in the ending era of CivRev you'd have infantry as defenders, tanks as land attackers, and artillery for cities. Allowing one of each on each tile would make warring a lot more interesting to me than it was in Civ5, where all you did was take 7 ranged units and one melee unit, swapping them around as needed to heal and replenish...was very arcadey.
>>
File: exploration21.jpg (3 MB, 5120x3025) Image search: [Google]
exploration21.jpg
3 MB, 5120x3025
>>337484075
If that's all true, and making it look better when you're zoomed out, that's amazing

Age of Exploration style should be comfy af too
>>
I played Civ 5 for the first time in years last night heres some things that need to be addressed.
First off the endgame is frustrating as fuck because when you have to manage all your units then wait for the computer to do the same it got so annoying i made peace put all my units to sleep and went for a science victory. I had so much power i could have fought the entire world but it would have taken soo long.
Also the fucking computers dont build roads so conquering their dumbasses i brought in workers to act as a psudo supply train except making fucking roads so my army could fucking move. It looked rediculous and made me think when i was conquering these backward ass states why anyone would rebel against me and increase unhappiness as i immediately improve your stupid ass countries infrastructure and make you part of my glourious empire.
Another issue i had with the game is that its extremely difficult to figure out the range of siege units you have to deploy them but that removes one of their movement points. The AI however automatically knows this and can counter attack perfectly.
Cities should have clear boundaries as to show what resources they are using compared to your nearby cities.
There should be no building/infrastructure maintenance fee it got to a point where my empire was so large i stopped building things because my maintenance fees were too large despite having banks and stock exchanges and being the biggest most scientifically advanced empire i felt like i was running the detroit of switzerland.
The unhappiness metre is purely stupid at one point a country ceded a bunch of its cities to me all at one and i accepted because of afformentioned combat slowness so what happens? I end up with a full blown revolt and i scramble spanning researching and building shit to make people happy which is fucking retarded as i was the biggest most scientifically adept and richest empire how the fuck could people get upset. I had well maintained roads farms
>>
>>337491763
How the fuck do you have -9 Unhappiness with that little of the map explored lol
>>
>>337493543
Ah right IGE, nevermind.
>>
>>337493461
basically i had the infrastructure and luxory resources of like modern day korea but the size of old russia it was insane and people still were angry purely because MUH OPPRESHUN and for some reason too many people huh?

Anyways the game has so many stupid things in it that were frustrating and made me want to throw it out the window as i scrambled to make fucking stadiums and castles to make people so happy i went from -70 to +70. i was so rich id just wait a turn and plop down a couple of courthouses each turn.

Anyways CIV 4 didnt have this bullshit it was a fun game, turns still took long as fuck but they need to do something to either make combat not a frustrating option or bring back unit stacks.
>>
>>337492981
I just feel like they could have added two seperate tech trees, one for the affinity shit and one for normal colonisation. The speed in which you begin developing all this fancy tech and how fast your faction embraces the change without any issues is kind of jarring. You don't seem to spend any time getting used to the prospect of landing on a new planet at all, even alien life doesn't create a hubbub among your community whatsoever.

Maybe it'd just serve to pad out games more but I always felt like BE needed a longer early game section of adapting to the world, including much needed trade/expansion, before war or diplomacy could even come into play. The tech web is great but unlike Civ5's static line where top was religion, middle was science/social and bottom was military where everyone progressed down the same path, BE has people bombing straight for like 7 specific tech choices and then rolling the map immediately.

Only against the AI does that tactic not become necessary.
>>
>>337493985
Venice or going small is the only way to play
>>
i played civ 5 singleplayer.
the first hour of gameplay is good, then it turns into a massive micromenagement with bad combat.
it's so focused on self-play with little player interaction until lategame when you unload the shit you built alone for 2 hours.
i've seen some multiplayer and it last hours, each game someone is left alone for 50% of the time with little player interaction. it's played only in a real time mode that is incosisntent with turn based rules.

i am not so in love with this genre.
>>
>>337494620
Try Civ 4
>>
I'll still end up buying it as long as Mod Support is as strong as it was for V. What other game will allow me to build the great Trump Wall?
>>
>>337495337
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.krynski.trump
>>
What bothers me the most is how sharp the borders are. Why can't they be rounded off and smooth like Civ V?
>>
I want modability
Anything that increases the chances for another mod on the level of Fall From Heaven II is good in my book
>>
>>337491748
Not yet you don't since in Civ5 you could pillage the FUCK out of city tiles and not always bring that city to its knees.
AI on higher settings get too many bonuses to even be affected by it and if you pillage a human players tiles, you had damn well be prepared for 100+ turns of war, assuming you aren't about to knock them out of the game anyway due to lack of an army.

We will have to see if the AI will just cheat its way through not having districts or if it will genuinely hinder them like stealing their workers does.
>>
>>337498308
Well according to the devs this will be the civ with the most focus on mods
>>
>there will never be another civ game as great as civ iv
>>
>>337498535
What suggestions would you make about improving the AI?
>>
>>337493543
>-9 unhappiness
>>
>>337487564
This literally looks like it was designed to play on a tablet.
>>
>>337484075
How fucking hard is for them to say "Look, the folks at the marketing department told us this art style is necessary to succeed in the tablet gaming world, and since porting the game to iOS and Android is a top priority for us we just had to go with it". Followed by a promise that they will not fuck up the desktop version /too/ much because of it.
>>
>>337499904
It probably was.
>>
>>337499956
Pretty hard considering marketing has to approve of everything they say.
>>
>Or some of the wonders end at night because they’re lit. And it’s all in-game in your world, and you can see all your buildings around it

Holy shit, did they just confirm a day night cycle?
>>
>>337499349
Their is no easy answer to this because the AI will only ever follow its rules and perimeters while a human can adapt and learn to abuse the limited AI

For Civ5:BNW the team decided to lower AI happiness bonuses in order to make city flipping via culture, possible.
It kind of, almost, slightly worked because you could flip about 1 or 2 cities in a game, but with extra production, gold, army size and just about everything else, it didn't hamper the AI in the long run. They could out do the penalties for unhappiness such as lower production, by sheer virtue of 'I am the AI, look at all these bonuses I have'.

I am not of the camp of "Make the AI super smart and almost human like" either. While I am a civ-fanatic, people do still lose at games of Civ on prince difficulty. Just because I personally don't (anymore) doesn't mean the game should be hard as FUCK for everyone else just starting out. I would propose less difficulty settings, so easy, normal, hard, impossible. Easy could be cheftain level, goodyhuts give free workers and settlers, normal is the base experience, about prince level, but for hard, import popular human tactics such as generous trade deals then re-negging on them by declaring war. Impossible should be old school diety level, AI is playing on chieftain and gets all of the bonuses.

I never understood why civ games had 8 difficulty settings anyway, they are just different degrees of who is going to get free cheat codes, the human or the AI.
>>
>>337501246
They could make the AI scale in intelligence according to the difficulty rather then bonuses
>>
>>337501491
They could do that, yes.
Not sure why they haven't yet to be honest but modders haven't done so either so I imagine its very labour intensive and challenging.

I mean, we have some AMAZING mods for Civ5 but only about 3 that even seem to attempt to do anything to improve the AI. Might have been an engine limitation.

To their credit, in Civ5 they did say that the game needs to be able to run mods, so the AI was more like a flow chart than a set list of actions, in order to not break when people add new stuff to the game via mods.
>>
File: fox only final destination.png (244 KB, 540x376) Image search: [Google]
fox only final destination.png
244 KB, 540x376
>>337501246
this shit always seems to be such a weird idea, that the AI "cheats" to beat the player on higher difficulties

they do that in any single player game, the devs give enemies more health or dump more enemies in there, or whatever, to make it equal because AI is just not as smart as a human or to even come close would take such computing power that noone would be able to run the game

it's just the way difficulty is always done, i'm not sure why civ is singled out for this. is it because it's more obvious that it's going on?
>>
File: YouDontUnderstand.jpg (21 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
YouDontUnderstand.jpg
21 KB, 640x480
>>337492352
I beat Deity and I still have yields on pham. Now that I think about it I don't know why.
>>
>>337484075
a.k.a Also available on iOS™.
>>
>>337492352
because it's hard as hell to quickly see what's on a tile without resource icons? it's also the reason civ 6 looks like that because there's more emphasis on the use of the tiles
>>
>>337484075
Does this mean badass stahlhelms for German units?
>>
>obnoxious graphicsniggers butthurt over something not catering to them yet again
It looks fine you faggots
>>
>>337484075
Here is the actual tldr version

"We are porting this to phones post release. The game has been guttered to compensate. Enjoy"
>>
>>337490894

Someone's gettin nuked
>>
>>337493985
Civ 4 turns don't take very long now, I've got an FX 4300 and it feels a little too fast.
>>
>>337502360
A handful of RTS games used to be pointed at in the past but since those have mostly died out now, we just look at 4X games and point it out when it appears there instead.

Civ just happens to be super popular, their isn't a 4X game I can think off that doesn't do exactly the same. Endless Legend has it, Stellaris has it, Europa has it so either its because Civ is popular or like you say, its just so blatant about it.

Could also be that it does break game mechanics frequently, things that are supposed to keep the game balanced, don't work when the AI just "lol disregard the rules, sucks to be you human!". Happiness pre CIV:BNW was a huge one, you would struggle with 3 cities and high population while AI just barges through, placing cities on ice tiles just because it can and then it opens the diplomacy window "I can hear the wails of your suffering people from here". Smug son of a bitch.
>>
File: Gud.jpg (38 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Gud.jpg
38 KB, 480x270
>>337493985
Sounds like its a problem with the player, not the game.

Civ V BnW is a very accessible and mechanically sound 4X.
>>
>>337502360
Just because devs are lazy as fuck doesnt excuse them from what they should be doing which is making better AI
>>
>>337493461
>Cities should have clear boundaries as to show what resources they are using compared to your nearby cities.

Protip, cities only work the stuff that's in a 3 block radius around them. That's why cities have to be 4 blocks away from each other at least.
>>
I have a confession to make... i only finished a Civ game once.

I play this series since II
>>
>>337499904
Probably the audience Firaxis wants. People who want actual games are a dying breed.
>>
>>337503253

>lazy as fuck

No, they're just not as rich as Google/NASA. Do you realize how much goddamn money it costs to make an AI that can beat somebody at something as simple as chess?
>>
>>337502360
GalCiv2 AI could really fuck you up if you give them excuse to war and enough time for them to scout your stuff and build hard counters.
>>
>>337503017
Maybe that's it, yeah. BNW was a really good step in that direction in that regard, a lot of AIs actually stay small and can be dangerously tall, it's nice

ice cities still happen but because of the tourism shit it's never as horrible
>>
Why is IV the best ?
>>
>>337504721
better game feel
>>
I think III's great generals were a nice compromise between 1UPT and doomstacks.

Buildable generals?
>>
>>337504721
it's more ___fun___
>>
The higher difficulties seem to be mostly cheesing AI, it ain't fun
>>
>>337504721
Nostalgia
Most people started with IV and not glorious Call to Power
>>
>>337502360
>they do that in any single player game, the devs give enemies more health or dump more enemies in there, or whatever, to make it equal because AI is just not as smart as a human or to even come close would take such computing power that noone would be able to run the game

The halo games, particular CE and reach, actually scale up the AI's intelligence on top of giving them more health and such.
>>
>>337484075
>cultural flare
video game """journalists"""
>>
>>337502360
people who talk about "making AI better" have no idea what they are talking about, if Firaxis makes an improvement to the AI why the fuck wouldnt they add it to all difficulties?

and even that is not the point, the point is that working on AI is not some linear process, its not like you put on 100 more hours into AI and get 10% improvement or whatever, chances are that the level of AI in civ4/5 is the best they can do
>>
>>337507772
that's super rare, though, and for strategy games it's a lot harder than changing an NPC's behaviour
>>
how come this game looks like ass?
>>
>>337489940
As someone who played it on release day, and at least three times a week since then, including today, I can confirm that this is completely untrue. They've ironed out so many of those FPS drops, cut out the hang time between actions, etc, while also just adding in random little QOL updates for the UI or whatever.
>>
File: 1453501224759.jpg (78 KB, 583x583) Image search: [Google]
1453501224759.jpg
78 KB, 583x583
>>337487564
>Japanese town
>suddenly early Roman empire architecture with a Greek amiptheatre
>>
File: john f kennedy.png (139 KB, 304x296) Image search: [Google]
john f kennedy.png
139 KB, 304x296
Leaderheads when
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.