[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is anyone else sick of ultraviolence in video games or am i just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: 142660783982699.jpg (957 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
142660783982699.jpg
957 KB, 1920x1080
is anyone else sick of ultraviolence in video games or am i just getting old? i'm finding myself playing more and more games like sim city or civ and just ignoring war units.

i love old RPGs but i generally play diplomat characters. i've been trying to get through the original dragon age and I'm already sick of all the fighting. it's especially bad in a single player story based game. in a fighting game or RTS or something, playing random skirmishes is whatever, but when it's a long campaign with world building and a storyline, it's hard to reconcile the fact your character is basically a mass murderer with anything else happening in the story.

nonviolent games general
>>
>>337478681
i know that feel anon
most of my friends play shooters so i just try to play medic/crowd control

does everyone else just have an insatiable lust for virtual blood & gore?
>>
Pussy
>>
File: Anno_2205_03.jpg (97 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
Anno_2205_03.jpg
97 KB, 700x394
>>337479094
>does everyone else just have an insatiable lust for virtual blood & gore?

I work as an executioner so I get a lot of that on my job, I like playing things like Anno 2205 imagining building space colonies and things.
>>
>>337479094
>does everyone else just have an insatiable lust for virtual blood & gore

i watched some fatality videos for the new mortal kombat and it was just like... who likes this? it's not even shocking anymore since it's been around for like 25 years at this point

the cassie cage selfie fatality was pretty great though. feels like taking the piss out of the whole concept
>>
If anything i feel like games have moved away from ultraviolence.

I can't get into the new warhammer totalwar because there is no violence at all and it just looks farsical with these units chopping away at each other with giant axes and halberds and shit and not even a smear of blood, never mind dismemberment.
>>
>>337478681
>caring about pixel on pixel violence

if the gameplay is fun it's a fun game.

from your pic and talking about how you enjoy diplomatic characters i'm guessing your just starting to shy away from quick paced action oriented gameplay to slower, less competitive gameplay. if you would have mentioned a sports game or rocket league or something i would think differently.
>>
>>337479324
>I work as an executioner

shit dude. How's that?
>>
>>337478681
I think it's normal to want to experience new and especially non-combat mechanics as you get older and more mature as a gamer. Just don't turn into one of those "the violence is corrupting our children" fags.
>>
>>337479324

Either American, Chinese, or works for a third-world dictator.
>>
>>337479094

This, support classes all the way, really fun to help people and actually get them to thank you once in a blue moon.
>>
>>337479324
How did you get that job? How do you sleep at night? What's the craziest thing an inmate has said before being hooked up?
>>
>>337480146
Don't mess with Texas
>>
>>337479324

I want stories.
>>
>>337480191
>before being hooked up?

Oh anon, what makes you think he's an American executioner? He's probably somewhere in Saudi Arabia or Iran, beheading people with a big scimitar.

Shit, he could be one of those ISIS fellows, or maybe in a Mexican cartel.
>>
>>337478681
there's not enough games where you can genocide
genocide objectively makes any game better
>>
>>337479767
that seems a bit ridiculous since warhammer is all about being over the top

i guess i'm talking about 2 different things. 1, yeah giblets and blood flying everywhere doesn't really do it for me, but on the other hand sometimes even with fisher price-ified violence, like old final fantasy games, it's weird to try to take any plot points seriously when these characters have killed 100s and 100s of creatures.

but like 40k or GTA or something, it's less jarring, since they acknowledge it and it's part of the setting or the satire. of course gta 4 and 5 start veering into this weird territory where we're supposed to take these characters seriously in between driving on the sidewalk and throwing grenades at cop cars
>>
>>337480342
Does nobody question why those societies/communities should fall into the same category?
>>
>>337480017
>Just don't turn into one of those "the violence is corrupting our children" fags.

nah it's not like that. i've probably just fought so many thousands of things in all the games over the years that it's just not tickling my balls any more to punch and stab and shoot yet another collection of hapless victims
>>
>>337480686
Yeah, I think it's a good impulse then. Improving video games is all about creating new experiences through interesting and novel mechanics. And there's an infinite amount of experiences that video games could give us beyond mindless shooters.
>>
>>337478681
its not the ultra violence. its the generic violence. truly uninspired.
peak violence was probably soldier of fortune. now its just the same canned animation over and over with the same overt amount of blood.

second is the lack of gameplay that accompanies it. instead of gameplay and mechanics they just throw in animations and say hey animations are a mechanic. like asscreed where you can assassinate people in x different animations, or doom where the start x possible death animation button mechanic.
>>
>>337480445

I totally understand you and feel the same way sometimes. Its nice to play games that the focus is not killing people.

I've built a small collection of games that i intend on playing through with my kids if i ever have any (probably unlikely). I picked games that were just fun to play like the Trine series. I know there is also violence in this game but its more like jumping on peoples heads mario violence.

I also really enjoy Graviteam tactics, while the game is all about violence in aroundabout way (ww2) there isnt really any gore or what have you, bodies are left on the field but the enjoyment from the game is the tactical approach and your quite zoomed out.

I think its normal op to get tired of killing things.
>>
>>337482869
>I know there is also violence in this game but its more like jumping on peoples heads mario violence
While I understand what you're saying, I think especially in a thread like this it's worth mentioning, that, as harmlessly portrayed as it is, it's still violent (if not fatal) conflict resolution, you're still effectively "killing things". I don't oppose such games, Mario & Co. are quality games. I just want to say how hard it is to find games that actually do not have, even such abstract violence. You're kind of stuck with city builders and puzzle games almost instantly. Especially in the realm of adventure games or, dare I say, RPGs, violent conflict resolution is almost mandatory, and it's kind of sad. I fully understand that, especially in RPGs, fighting is so common simply because it's so easy and familiar to model. But is that really the yard stick we want to use for gaming? Ease of implementation? If it wasn't for decades of gameplay experiments, we wouldn't have the games we have. I'd rather see more games fail, if it means more games attempting novel approaches for player - game interaction
>>
>>337483279
>fighting is so common simply because it's so easy and familiar to model

i've thought about this a lot. to have a game you have to have some sort of conflict, 2 opposing sides, and some kind of combat is just the most obvious conflict. non-conflict games pretty much puts you in the city builder/sim box where you're trying to create or acquire something (usually money) based on the rules of the sim
>>
>>337483774
>to have a game you have to have some sort of conflict, 2 opposing sides
no, not really

>non-conflict games pretty much puts you in the city builder/sim box where you're trying to create or acquire something (usually money) based on the rules of the sim
also wrong. You're giving perfect examples though why so many games are violent. We're so strongly conditioned nowadays, we can hardly think of anything outside of that vast realm of violent games, then quickly give up and just do economy. It's a very elaborate way of saying "I can't be arsed to actually research player - game interactions that are not violent". This is not attacking you personally. We're all just players, more or less. It's taking a jab at developers though, people that spend a lot of time with, and get a lot of money from, developing games. I do expect more from these people, much more.
>>
>>337483774
>some kind of combat is just the most obvious conflict
That's not what I tried to say. Think RPGs again. How is conflict modeled? A very elaborate stats model, and a few inputs that determine hits and damage based on these stats and possibly some randomized side input. That's it. All major RPGs use variants of this system. No matter how simple or elaborate, it all boils down to this. And in fact, many, if not all RPGs, use that aspect of the game as primary selling point. When people discuss RPGs, they almost exclusively discuss the fighting mechanics.
Now, think of how these same RPGs handle non-fighting. How is communication done? Diplomacy? Persuasion? Rallying? Subversion? Bartering? Non-violent interaction like dancing, flirting, making appointments, shopping (usually for "gear", which is just another tired variant on violent conflict resolution) and so on. I've not even touched the surface of all the things you could model in an RPG. There are no models for it though. If you find these things in RPGs at all, they usually boil down to individual binary decisions (while a violent resolution is a sequence of not just binary decisions but point calculations following from them). Simply put, fighting is deep, complicated and fleshed out, everything else is about as simple as a choose-your-own-adventure book. That is terrible.
>>
I used to play a lot of tropico 3 and 4

They went really apeshit with the DLC and like started bringing out a new Tropico every six months using the same resources from the previous game that made me stop playing it.

It was great fun while it lasted though.
>>
>>337483774
Non-conflict and non-combat aren't the same thing.
>>
>>337478681
Comfy city builders are the best

But a lifetime of playing games to win always has me trying to optimize the city instead of building things for fun. How do I fix this?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.