[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Uncharted is a walking simulator in action game's clothing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 61
File: Uncharted_4_box_artwork.jpg (23 KB, 260x341) Image search: [Google]
Uncharted_4_box_artwork.jpg
23 KB, 260x341
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-11-combat-fatigues-how-uncharted-is-a-walking-simulator-in-action-games-clothing

>Naughty Dog's Uncharted series is as generic as it gets. It's about a good looking white, heterosexual man going on exciting globe-trotting adventures, killing bad guys and wooing a spunky blonde reporter.

>Of course The Uncharted games do have a failure state and you spend most of their running time engaged in third-person combat. On that level, they're still fairly traditional action games. But Uncharted 2 and its successors only dedicate a little over half of their running time to such mechanics. So what do you do the rest of the time?

>Not a lot, interactively. Sometimes you simply watch cutscenes and have zero input whatsoever. The rest of the time you're being funnelled through intentionally frictionless scripted puzzles or button-tapping your way through automated platforming sequences. Technically you're still "playing" the game, but your agency is left out of your hands.

>Naughty Dog's penchant for slick action choreography is so captivating the player doesn't even notice that they barely have any input on what's happening (if they have any at all). But on a purely mechanical level, leading Drake up through a boxcar dangling off a cliff is no more interactive than selecting Henry's potentially flirtatious dialogue in Firewatch or guiding Kaitlin Greenbriar through her family's new abode in Gone Home.

Do you agree /v/? Should Uncharted 4 be reclassified as a walking simulator similar to Gone Home?
>>
>>337450050
it's not a reclassification since it was just that for a while.
>>
>>337450050
>>Naughty Dog's Uncharted series is as generic as it gets. It's about a good looking white, heterosexual man going on exciting globe-trotting adventures, killing bad guys and wooing a spunky blonde reporter.

uh this is problematic has hell desu another cis white male and his power fantasy
>>
>>337451074
>problematic
he said generic and he's right.
>>
>>337451074

>implying that he's not 100% correct

Nathan Drake is designed by numbers. He's not designed to be interesting, he's designed to be inoffensive. He has brown hair, brown eyes, and a beard because it's the least offensive thing possible. It's a design used so people say "Well I don't DISlike it..."
>>
As always, eurogamer is dead on point. I like how they prioritize gameplay over everything else. Their goty was Bloodborne after all while everyone else were praising a certain movie pretending to be a game.

Uncharted is the blandest shit I've ever played but it has cute graphics, zero difficulty and it's short, so it appeals to the lowest common denominator, aka people with the attention span of 2 seconds as well as those who can't tell when something is a scripted event or not.
>>
File: JUST.jpg (51 KB, 1833x315) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
51 KB, 1833x315
>>337451554

And to illustrate my point, pic related. This is your average modern gamer.
>>
Half of MGS4 is custscenes and its a great game, so who cares.
>>
>>337451659
What's wrong with not wanting to fight a few hundred copy paste enemies?
>>
>>337451950
/tv/ is that way
>>
>>337451950
Exploring a corridor sure sounds fun, eh?
>>
>>337450050
>>Naughty Dog's Uncharted series is as generic as it gets. It's about a good looking white, heterosexual man

Stopped reading there. I know the rest of the article will be shit. What does a character being black and gay add to the story when the story is about his life as a treasure hunter?
>>
>>337451870
MGS4 was a piece of fucking shit
>>
>>337451967
>>337451995
Oh damn. You guys sure proved me wrong.
>>
That something that started in 3. They spend so much fucking time making all that shit and they make you walk through it.
>>
>>337452143
You didn't prove anything as you've never made any substantial point of any kind.
>>
File: (you).jpg (30 KB, 353x424) Image search: [Google]
(you).jpg
30 KB, 353x424
>>337450050

Just play the multiplayer if you want pure third person mechanics against competent enemies you fucking faggots
>>
>>337452024
4 was fine, 5 was a mess.
>>
>>337450050
I stopped reading after the first sentence. Anyone who uses that as their starting point can fuck right off and choke on their own rectum.
>>
>>337451950
>Games involving Humans using a variety of guns are always accused of being copy and paste

>Games where a different race that uses only one type of gun is considered diverse.
>>
>>337452014
It's saying that the game is generic and yes, your 30-something heterosexual white guy killing bad guys is as generic as it gets. They don't go on an anti-cis tumblrite rant. Maybe try reading things before you shit out your preconceived notions and keejerk reactions sometime. Might make you sound less stupid.
>>
>>337452184
Boy oh boy you got me. Your reading comprehension skills are phenomenal.
>>
>>337452387
name some games that play like uncharted
>>
>>337452392
Watch out, he's going full passive-aggressive here boys, that's some really deep arguing skills.

I know what you meant with reading comprehension but sorry buddy, it's yours that is absolute shit. You said we didn't prove you wrong and what I meant is that you never made any kind of substantial point with solid backup that awarded someone to "prove" you wrong. You want to be proven wrong? Prove something right first and then ask people to debunk it.

Or just keep sidestepping to your cheap shit passive aggressive remarks to save face, it's your choice after all and nobody gives a crap.
>>
>>337452489
Tomb Raider reboot
>>
>>337452380
>a variety of guns.
I saw a couple of shotguns, assault rifles, and pistols. Nothing anyone would be surprised with.
>>
>>337452489

Modern Tomb Raider.
>>
Does Uncharted 4 have shoe horned in crafting system?
>>
>>337452598
Grenade launchers, Sniper rifles, RPGs. I doubt a mercenary group would be using spears and bows so it pretty much covers everything that a modern PMC would be shooting at you with.
>>
>>337452596
>>337452616
(1 game)
featuring a woman protagonist.
>>
>>337450050
It's a bit weird though that someone would accuse Uncharted of leaving you zero input, when the vast majority of big releases are more guilty of this, in the Uncharted games when something cinematic and cool happens like a building is collapsing around you or you have to hop from car to car, you're still in control of the character and it's rarely a quicktime event. Fuck me, in Uncharted 2 when the gunship started blasting the building out from under you, you could still run around in the collapsing building and had to even fight enemies. Fucking 90% of games would make that a cutscene possibly with a quick time event or two in there.
>>
I agree. Haven't played 4 but the others were all like that. Platforming almost never requires precision or timing. You just push the stick and mash X. Puzzles are braindead.

I do enjoy the characters and the cutscenes tho. Doesn't make it a great game.

That being said, while also very faulty TLoU had better gameplay at least. It wasn't well refined but still better than Uncharted.
>>
>>337450050
Looks like Eurogamer wasn't payed and now they are throwing a tantrum.
>>
>>337452489
>1886
>TLoU
>TR
>Quantum Break
>>
>>337452663
No.
>>
>>337452691
Max Payne 3. Same kind of cutscenes galore "game" with your average generic protagonist.
>>
>>337452489
Resident evil 6
>>
>>337452616
Except Uncharted is actually fun, I could play Tomb Raider for an hour before the game started throwing crafting and cover based shooting at me. In Uncharted I'm not hindered by collecting fucking deer testicles to upgrade my weapons and I can run and gun, mix the combat with melee and in the latest installment I CAN FUCKING SWING ON ROPES LIKE ERROL FLYNN
>>
>>337450050
Is this another Satire piece similar to what Washington Post did to get more site traffic and improve their cpm.....oh wait it is.
>>
>>337450050
Finally they're starting to notice.

Shame it took them an entire generation of such trite to do so.
>>
>>337452554
Oh geez a whole paragraph from someone who still has not made any statements regarding whether the combat was necessary in the game.
>>
>>337452817
3 made the melee combat better and almost OP.
>>
>>337452387
But it implies that they'd be okay with the game the way it is as long as Drake was black, ugly, and gay.
>>
>>337452693
>you're still in control of the character and it's rarely a quicktime event.

And you might as well not be because you don't have any actual input over what happens nor do you have some kind of choice while it's happening. Naughty Dog is terrible because they cannot develop dynamic events to save their lives, hence why their games are one huge scripted events galore.

It's the exact same shit as Michael Bay movies. The explosion is always "on your knee" but it will never actually hurt you. Just keep walking the treadmill and nothing every truly touches. The things you're attached to will only fall after you jump out of them, the explosion will only happen after you have already jumped out of its range, the floor will only crumble after you've walked through it and when it does catch you, it was always meant to be that way and you will never actually suffer anything from the fall because that's the designed path.

These games are stiff, boring and lifeless. Naughty Dog just so happens to be masters of deceipt because they know how to conceive the illusion of choice while not giving you any. The average gamer is an idiot and doesn't know what is an scripted event. What baffles me though is seeing people who grew up with video games still falling for this crap.
>>
>>337452392
>get called out
>le reading comprehension meme
Every time. Words mean stuff, you know. You can't just throw them around for no reason. Would you care to explain what he failed to comprehend?
>>
>>337452990
You never have choice in a game with a narrative. the better games make you think you are making choices.
>>
>>337452817
>Except Uncharted is actually fun

The combat is much better in tomb raider and so are the controls and the player freedom. At least it's not a literal corridor and gives you some things to explore at your own leisure and you actually can find some interesting tidbits on the map. Not saying the game is actually good because they are all the same kind of watered down garbage, but it's much better than Uncharted and it's scripted events.

I couldn't even bother finishing Uncharted 3 because I simply couldn't stand that massive cutscenes galore.
>>
>>337452871
Yeah, this is a guy who gives positive reviews and plays telltale games.
>>
>>337452735
No need to shit on Max Payne 3 for cutscenes, even if they were unskippable. Game was fun as hell to play
>>
File: 12345765723545234.jpg (29 KB, 500x310) Image search: [Google]
12345765723545234.jpg
29 KB, 500x310
>>337452952
>yet another sarcastic wannabe piece of sidestepping
>>
>>337450050
Question: why does it matter as long as the person playing it enjoys it?
>>
>>337453105
TR encourages you to do stealth combat more I think
>>
>>337450050
If they said this about The Order I might agree, but Uncharted has as much gameplay as any TPS. It just dresses its average mechanics up in much prettier clothing.
>>
>>337453105
Because uncharted isn't about exploring it is more about getting on a plot roller coaster. Also most of the upgrades in tombraider are fluff.
>>
>>337453076
Anon I hate to break it to you but im still genuinely wondering what would be lost in this game without having to kill hundreds of copy and paste bad guys.
>>
>>337453105
I couldnt finish Tomb Raider 2013 because it was just boring. I don't think you should compare previous uncharted games to this one, it plays too differently and changes the formula up so its not cutscene heavy at all.
>>
>>337453196
Uncharted doesn't force it is a better way to put it. You rarely get forced in a stealth only part of the game.
>>
>>337453234
How about the "shooter" part of "third person shooter"?
>>
>>337453081
>You never have choice in a game with a narrative

That is 100% false unless Uncharted is all you play. Most games have narratives and most of them give you choices. Planescape Torment might as well be a book and you have a gigantic array of choices that impact the gameplay and the world in that for example.

>the better games make you think you are making choices.

Nope. The better games actually give you choices.
>>
>>337453190
Sets itself up as a standard for action games to try and emulate, meaning less gameplay and more focus on cinematic elements.
At this point we've already gone too far down that path for any of it to matter though.
>>
>>337450050
It's strange they kept direction with Uncharted 4, since TLoU was much more gameplay focused
>>
>>337453234
About two thirds of the gameplay.
>>
>>337453234
>I'm still wondering what obstacles would add to a game

Do you realize your shitty reductio ad absurdum can apply to literally any other game out there or are you just too stupid for your own sake?
>>
>>337450050
Cutscenes can be skipped, the combat is the best it's ever been, and even the 'walking simulator' parts are short and mainly at the very start of the game.
>>
>>337450050
It's not generic if you can't name two other games like it.
>>
Agreed on all the line. Scripted QTEs, tons of long cutscenes, sections where you do barely anything except moving around a corridor/defined path.
The only "real" gameplay there is is the gunolay, which is frankly mediocre compared to some actual TPS in the market, same problem TLOU had.
People will go around saying "but there is more platforming/climbing compared to UC3!". Well, smartasses, that's barely an accomplishment since UC3 was even worse in that regard.

I'm very glad finally some journalists are showing their balls and saying how things are. Videogames should be about gameplay, not fancy graphics and "mature" stories.

Also enjoying the Neogaf butthurt.
>F-fuck eurogamer, not going there anymore
>>
File: 484873.jpg (103 KB, 420x517) Image search: [Google]
484873.jpg
103 KB, 420x517
>neofags mad as fuck
>>
>>337453306
Doesn't Planescape have a sort of ambiguous ending?
>>
>>337453401
Bruh you should listen to
>>337453387
This guy. It's literally just gameplay padding for Naughty Dog's narrative. It serves no real purpose other than to slow you down.
>>
>>337452210
Hahahaha, no. 4 is the most retarded game of the series.

The series ended with Snake telling Raiden to live his life as he went to hunt down Liquid. Big Boss was dead after Metal Gear 2 and there's no coma bullshit. Meanwhile, we finally got to see why Big Boss' turned from one of the biggest war heroes into the biggest war criminal with the events of MGS 3.
>>
>>337453473
anyway there is no free choice in games. In games where you have narrative the choices you made don't matter. Most good games will trick you into thinking you have free choice. Remember how ME would bring back characters that died in older games or have a facsimile .
>>
>>337453542
So let's cut out the gameplay instead of making it better and give up on video games completely
>>
File: ^).gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
^).gif
2 MB, 500x500
>>337453417
Uncharted 1,2,3
Tomb raider
Indiana Jones games
>>
File: X9rKQ1U.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
X9rKQ1U.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>337450050
The only good thing about Uncharted 4 was Guybrush Threepwood being woven into the main story and referenced countless times throughout. He finally made it as a mighty pirate.
>>
>>337453417
Mario fit that bill if you don't take "reporter" into account cause that's too specific to be generic. Pretty sure most cape had this in one incarnation or another, too.
>>
File: 1460134916086.png (177 KB, 697x768) Image search: [Google]
1460134916086.png
177 KB, 697x768
>>337453336
People have been screaming bloody murder about the end of times for vidya ever since the first cinematic action game came out last generation. Well, it's been ten years and I've played new games with focus on good gameplay every year between then and now. At most, the market for cinematic games has grown, but it hasn't completely taken over all video games like everyone feared.

What path have we gone too far down? Where is your end of times? I'll ask again; what does it matter as long as the person playing it enjoys it?
>>
>>337453196
As opposed to the conveniently places waist-high modern crates in millennia old ruins of Uncharted?

Playing naughty dog games is fucking laughable. You can always tell what is going to happen and when. Just like when I was playing TLOU and found Joel's Brother. And while walking around talking to him I saw the waist-high crates all over the place and I imediately rolled my eyes because I knew the place was about to get raided. And guess what, it was.

It boggles my mind how Naughty Dog can be so competent in the technology department for their outstand piece of optimization which I genuinely think it's the very best of this entire industry, yet their actual game design is so outrageously archaic it drags the whole thing down to ps1 standards of bad.
>>
File: Thatso.jpg (64 KB, 188x256) Image search: [Google]
Thatso.jpg
64 KB, 188x256
>>337453601
Hey man I can't help it if you don't enjoy puzzle games. But if they added more puzzles i'd be happy without the braindead parts.
>>
>try to pander to SJWs by adding strong independent black woman who fucks up both the male protagonist and the male villain and runs away with the money
>they still lash at you

When will developers learn?
>>
>>337453612
Cute
>>
>>337453306
Why do neckbeards enjoy planescape so much? Story is cool and all but, y'know, games are supposed to be fun. So yeah it might as well be a book
>>
>>337453602
I for one am glad Naughty Dog decided to commit to making an Indiana Jones clone and giving us the rope, now if only they made it as useful as a whip
>>
>>337453694
I like puzzles, you misunderstand me.

>>337453719
But Planescape is a fun book.
>>
>>337450050
>It's about a good looking white, heterosexual man going on exciting globe-trotting adventures, killing bad guys and wooing a spunky blonde reporter.
this guy could say it in a word, "dude bro" or so called dude bro.
why cant they say it. its a somewhat buzzword and meme but still almost no biased toward anything political/racial and a proper self ironic word for a cheesy but "healthy" flame war as a subculture and not being so much pretentious.

its funny they have changed their tones into way too political redundant ones not even related to videogames in general and acting cleverly since this gen.
>>
>he thinks it's a good thing

welp

It's nothing new though, it takes like 20 minutes before you can play outside a walking sequence in The Last of Us
>>
>>337453612
at least they redraw that art, unlike the "ubisoft homage" that was literally stolen from google
>>
File: 1402402802717.jpg (36 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1402402802717.jpg
36 KB, 640x480
>>337453694

Yeah, those triangle button prompts in an obvious order truly are engaging and they really make you think. I took am glad their puzzles are totally not braindead at all.

Things are truly terrible. You can easily tell most /v/irgins have started gaming on the 7th or 6th gen at the very best.
>>
>>337453683
No I mean it makes sense that TR encourages you for stealth combat since Lara cannot fight the enemies head-on every times.
>>
>>337451074
Frankly if femfreq wants to get rid of Uncharted I could care less. Just stay away from my Japanese games desu
>>
>>337453817
Oh, what's this?
>>
>>337450050
This reviewer sounds mad. Wonder what Naughty Dog did to piss them off.
>>
>>337453973
Put out another shit generic game probably
>>
>>337453431
>Videogames should be about gameplay, not fancy graphics and "mature" stories.

These shitty naughty dog games wouldn't bother me if at the very least their story wasn't just some cliche as fuck hollywood tier crap. I thought witcher 3 was a steeming piece of shit gameplay wise but I still loved the game because of the competent writing and extremely interesting lore and world building as an traditional RPG fan myself, but Uncharted and TLOU? Give me a fucking break.

When the entire gimmick of your game is being a shitty movie at least don't be pretentious about it, make it engaging and don't pretend it's anything else, i.e. Until Dawn.
>>
>>337453827
Anon are you autistic.
>>
>>337453673
I'm not saying that it's taking over vidya, just that this genre of "action movie game" has become popular and it's not something I think has any real reason to be this loved. Game was fun but it wasn't really exciting, just kind of watched Drake get tossed around with no consequences. At least try to make it seem like the protag is in danger, that's all I ask
>>
File: 1457164548272.jpg (6 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
1457164548272.jpg
6 KB, 150x150
>>337453431
>Videogames should be about gameplay, not fancy graphics and "mature" stories.

Video games should be able anything they want to be about. PC walking sims are still games in my book because they require user input. In fact we should be happy there is a variety of games that offer different experiences to choose from, not just one certain genre of games.

I'm someone who can appreciate games like Uncharted 4 and also enjoy extremely gameplay focused games like Ys: series and Nioh, they simply aim to offer people different experiences and Uncharted 4 entertains me in ways some gameplay focused games cannot.

The only people who really loose here are ones who walls themselves in and seek to undermine and dismiss other games because they don't adhere to some arbritrary set of rules. Uncharted 4 for me was fun as fuck and but you don't play this series for cutting edge gameplay, just like you don't play gameplay focused games for character and story development.
>>
>>337453773
If they just used the term "dude bro", that wouldn't incite a flamewar over word choice in the comments, meaning more views.
>>
>>337453773
There's nothing political about that statement.
>>
>>337452983
No it implies they'd find it more interesting if he was something other than completely standard.
>>
>>337454020
The only reasonable man in this thread.
>>
File: funny bone ulnar.png (1 MB, 918x1026) Image search: [Google]
funny bone ulnar.png
1 MB, 918x1026
There was this scene where Drake from Uncharted 4 hit someone with his elbow really hard. I would never do that because that would cause my ulnar nerve to get rekt and cucked which is also called the funny nerve.
This game is fucking unrealistic so why is environment so realistic?

also, let's talk about this stupid ass nerve in our elbow's.
>>
>>337453719

Story is the most important part of any non-action RPG.
>>
I know. It was still good. Walking simulators can be good.
>>
>>337454020
>Video games should be able anything they want to be about.
a movie isn't a game. Fuck off, retard. your argument boils down to "I don't want to be wrong so words must always agree with my mistakes". fuck off again.
>>
>>337454020
TL;DR
If you like it, play it, if you don't then play something else. Complaining won't make the games disappear and people agree with you.
>>
>>337453773

Because he's writing an article, not greentexting on /v/ you dumbfuck.
>>
>>337454020
>PC walking sims are still games in my book because they require user input
We need a line to separate a videogame from an average software though. "requiring user input" is not enough to define a videogame. Otherwise, even Microsoft Word can be considered a videogame following that logic.

Uncharted IS a videogame. But a very barebones one at it. Why can't we have a videogame with the graphics and story of Uncharted but with, you know, actual engaging gameplay? Something that goes farther than the mere "user input".

Also, being a videogame is not enough to be a good videogame. Think about it.
>>
>>337454229
Only when sony does them, apparently.
>>
>>337450273
yeah, 1 was a boring and lackluster game, but since 2 the scenery and a lack of interaction was the definite focus.
>>
>>337450050
This sums up this shit series. Good on them for telling the truth.
>>
>>337454371
more like

"Only when they're about topics I'm interested in"

If you made Gone Home except instead of being about exploring a house it was about exploring HItler's bunker 4chan would love it.
>>
>>337454020
GAMEplay in video GAMES isn't an arbitary set of rules, it's inherently part of them.
>>
>>337451995
depends wholly on the corridor, but naughty dog corridors? no thank you, sir.

Metro in its surface sections where combat was far and few between was pretty damn nice, if very small and simple.
>>
>>337454006
>but I still loved the game because of the competent writing and extremely interesting lore

How fucking deep do you expect a story about modern day treasure hunting to be?? The story in Uncharted 4 was fucking fascinating, it wasn't as 'deep' or long you might've wanted it to be but it sure as hell wasn't some convoluted borefest. It was interesting reading the journals of other pirates and their circumstances that led them on different paths or their deaths and just slowly learning about the life of Henry through clues and tidbits of information you slowly come across in the world is very enjoyable.

I don't get why people need to meme this hard about Uncharted 4
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (50 KB, 1824x127) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
50 KB, 1824x127
Ok, which one of you is it? Let's see how long until he gets banned.
>>
Its actually a nice challenge on hard with assisted aim on 0, marking enemies off and threat visuals off.
>>
>>337450050
It's actually a pretty good article and I am a fan of the Uncharted series. The non-gameplay segments were probably a risk when they first considered them years ago. I don't love these parts of the game but they're tolerable once.

They're not literally calling Uncharted a walking simulator, but they rightfully observe that there are parts of Uncharted that are not too dissimilar. The difference is real walking simulators are never not walking simulators.
>>
>>337454006
This. Uncharted 4 makes of storytelling and graphics its selling points.
Too bad the story is crap and, while the game looks good, it's still far from being a graphical masterpiece (see downgrades from the E3 build).
Uncharted 4 fails to deliver even its own selling points. It's not good.
>>
>>337454526
>How fucking deep do you expect a story about modern day treasure hunting to be??

You don't, which is why it should have excelled in gameplay so the actual hunting gets interesting. Instead it's a "game" whose gimmick is one of the most generic and bland settings ever that should have been a movie instead.
>>
>>337454240
>no criticism allowed

nah
>>
Uncharted 4 is just like every other Uncharted, except this time, there are more cutscenes and it has driving on top of climbing, as well as more pseudo-cutscenes (aka slow walking in a scripted sequence).
I really don't understand how minor changes like that can make a """"respectable"""" franchise boring. It's almost as if they just realized the games are shit
>>
>>337452489
Gears has better gunplay
Max Payne has better movement shooting gameplay
Most tomb raider games have better puzzles and platforming segments
>>
>>337454020
I think you should be beaten for thinking games shouldn't require gameplay.
>>
File: 1460977783758.png (24 KB, 252x272) Image search: [Google]
1460977783758.png
24 KB, 252x272
>>337454020
Ultimately gameplay is significantly more important; that’s why there are so many highly successful games with little to no story but not many games with the opposite.

A good story can carry a bad game, but not nearly as far as a good game can carry a bad story.

Games are a radically different medium than movies and books and the fact you have to participate in the story limits what story elements can be included; things that work great in other stories don’t work at all in games.

In a movie, if the hero is stuck without their tools and required to sneak around people and improvise it’s tense and exciting, but those sections in games are almost universally despised. That’s just one example, but there are others.

I think there are some games with really, really brilliant narrative or thematic gimmicks, stuff like Papers Please, but those aren’t traditional ‘stories’ like would be in movies or books so I feel like people glance over it a lot.
>>
>>337453673
Those cinematic AAA games you like take way too much money to make and the marketing is too aggressive and costly, leading to a widespread shutdown of game developers and game publishers. The massive hype behind these games surpresses the exposure for other games and makes it hard to make a profit. The dissapearance of the mid-tier budget developer is very much related to this.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/25/next-gen-will-have-a-third-less-aaa-games-than-last-gen-says-epic-4709121/
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/just-cause-dev-aaa-development-is-not-healthy

Companies like SEGA and Konami have made a withdrawal from the console space because the environment is just too toxic. The two Tomb Raider games were both losses despite selling a lot, so we will see Square Enix make a similar move if FF15 is not succesful enough (judging from all the tie-ins this project will be a massive financial blunder for SE).

While you place the emphasis on people "enjoying it" the reality is that people treat gaming like a second job these days. That's why they place so much emphasis on the "length" of a game; because they using the game to fill time instead of having fun. As if the game being fun isn't enough of a reason to play it. No I must play through the end. If I complete a game then that means I had a good time. Of course, it's much easier ro re-play Outrun that sit through story focused cinematic game like Uncharted again. That's because Outrun respects your time and wants you to play because it's fun. Gamers speak of backlogs these days because they buy games they feel obligated to buying them.

Games like Uncharted take way too much money and marketing too make. They also put way too much stress on the developers as Naughty Dog is known for being a shit place to work at. We could have a much healthier industry if games returned to being focused on fun and replayability and not on completing a game once and then never playing it again.
>>
>>337454543
I'm surprised the few people agreeing with the article have not been banned yet.
>>
>>337453292
now to prove an inherent value in that...
Aside from the fact that uncharted has literally nothing else but the smarmy dialogue and kiddy pool depth platforming.
>>337453601
They are never going to be good at it, so why leave it in?
>>
>>337450050
The only part I didn't like about that was the "heterosexual" part.

Cos I'm homophobic.
>>
>>337454543
The fact they don't already have some sort of algorithm to detect non shill posts and ban them before its even posted on the website is amazing.
>>
>hey if you cut gameplay game will be walking simulator
No shit
>>
>Ashby678
>2 hours ago
>By definition you could call most games a walking simulator.
Any elder scrolls, Zelda, etc. It can be a tag attached to any game. Walking simulators are not a thing, stupid term made up to try and criticise otherwise great games.

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>337454175
I already had mine removed. 3000 euros but it was worth it.
>>
File: Gears of War 4 beta (7).png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Gears of War 4 beta (7).png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>337454678
>Gears has better gunplay
it really doesn't, I own Gears 1-3, Judgement (which was shit), Remastered on Xbox One, and Gears of War on PC.

Gears used to have better multiplayer (it might still in the final game, I thought the Gears 4 beta sucked and I have not played multiplayer in Uncharted 4). Gears biggest advantage though is local and online co-op.
>>
>>337454667
>as well as more pseudo-cutscenes (aka slow walking in a scripted sequence).
I hate that shit. Goddamn it.
>It's almost as if they just realized the games are shit
About time.
>>
Finally someone says it.
>>
I don't really understand why uncharted 4 has a ridiculously high review range when other linear shitty tps's this gen have been absolutely slaughtered. U4 looks as shit as ever
>>
I can't shake the feeling that the same fans of this garbage are the same people who put God of War on a pedestal.

I remember watching some friends playing GoW back in the day trying to "wow" me with the game and what was happening was them mashing square nonstop on some harmless damage sponge enemies, then they'd reach the "epic" boss, smash square on it, then he'd say "watch this", a gigantic QTE showed up on the screen, he pressed it and got amazed at the 30 seconds long automated piece of """"action"""". Then he'd go on about how fucking cool and epic that was and I was like "that's it?".

Who the hell gets impressed by QTEs and automated sequences? No seriously, who?
>>
>as generic as it gets

That's right. I forgot about all the other games that let you travel around the world, looking for treasure, and discovering mythical places like Shambala, Iram of the Pillars, or Libertalia.
>>
I've watched someone else play it and there isn't nearly enough combat in this game. Most of it is climbing shit, roping and hanging from shit. The action scenes were sometimes really great to watch and felt like you were an actual action hero, the rest was boring climbing shit though.
>>
>>337454736
Papers Please is a 1-minute minigame stretched out to a full game. It's shit and boring and moronic.

Like a game based entirely on the ending of Sophie's Choice.
>>
>>337454678
Amen

Uncharted is fucking shit apart from animations
>>
>>337454842
The difference lies in the quantity and quality of gameplay. Those games listed has far more gameplay than sny Uncharted game.

If you weren't be able to move around in Uncharted, you could as well compare it to Dragon's Lair.
>>
>>337454914
Have you played the Uncharted games?
They feature around maneuverability and a rudimentary stealth system as much as just sitting in cover and taking potshots.
Not going to pretend they're tactical masterpieces but there's a bit more to them than the average TPS. Think Max Payne 3 in terms of it not just being a straight cover shooter.
>>
>>337454914
Man, even if you found the gameplay to be dull, just the sheer scale of the locations and enemies was impressive.
>>
>>337455007
Uncharted us Dragon's Lair without the technical limitation of a fully FMV animated game
>>
>>337454943
You might as well have described Tomb Raider up until you started name dropping specific locations.
>>
>>337454943
You mean like that one franchise that has been around for much longer than Uncharted and that Naughty Dog completely stole the idea from?
>>
>>337454736
This guy knows.
>>337454678
This guy too. There are in the market far better games with better gunplay than Uncharted. I don't expect Uncharted fans to play those types of games though.
>>
File: Rise of the Tomb Raider (43).png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Rise of the Tomb Raider (43).png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>337454678
Tomb Raider doesn't have better puzzles or platforming. I do like that it has optional ones though to encourage exploration, I wish Uncharted 4 had more of that.
>>
>>337455074
But there's no princess and dragon in Uncharted
>>
File: 1463066241736.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1463066241736.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
>>337454914
>Who the hell gets impressed by QTEs and automated sequences? No seriously, who?

Good thing you spend 90% of the time in uncharted exploring, swinging from cliffs, shooting enemies, platforming and discovering treasure.

The QTE action set pieces are fun though and shake up the games pace, you're just largely overthinking how much of Uncharted 4 is like that.
>>
>>337455015
I don't remember any Uncharted before 4 having stealth outside of some melee segments.
99% of enemy encounters are "Walk into a room with conviniently placed covers and wait for an ambush"
>>
>>337450050
Reviewers are going to come out against this game for easy clicks. I finished it last night. I thoroughly enjoyed the game with the exclusion of a few minor climbing puzzles that were pretty poorly indicated. The Epilogue is kind of lame, but I see what they're trying to do. Now the little popcorn fluff game is out of the way, and I can go back to my srs grimdark games.
>>
>>337455015
A bit of 2 and over half of 3.

Blandest shit I've ever experienced in the last few years by a fucking mile.

I also have beaten TLOU and while the crafting was definitely interesting, the AI is so braindead and the game is so predictable it wasn't even fun. I beat everything on grounded because that was the only way to make it engaging, but when Winter arrived and Ellie got stuck with the psycho in the cabin I switched to normal because I was really losing my patience with the game and just wanted it to be over already, then I put it back on Grounded right after that but I obviously didn't get the achievement.
>>
>>337453882
>I could care less

This... is America education.
>>
>>337455074
Ironically, Dragon's Lair has also better visuals and art style than any game that tries to be photorealistic.
>>
>>337455148
Exploring what? Would you consider Skyward Sword a game with exploration?
>>
>>337454881
What are you smoking?
Gears had amazingly well designed and interesting guns, rather than le ar15 and kalishnikov shit.
Top tier sound design, every single gun has a unique sound so you know EXACTLY what someone is firing in the distance
Unique feel, recoil, and shooting mechanics to every gun. It's impossible to name two guns that even remotely feel similar in gears.
And great impact to each one, that makes even the snub pistol feel powerful.

Gears gunplay shits all over Uncharted's generic gunplay.
>>
>>337454914
QTEs were cool when they were first introduced.

Remember RE4?
>>
>>337455195

Did you play with the superman vision on and shit?
>>
>>337454892
its because modern gaming comes down to consuming brands.
>>
File: 1462545243840.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1462545243840.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>337450050
>It's about a good looking white, heterosexual man going on exciting globe-trotting adventures

I won't even read the rest, here's a (you)
>>
File: 1440256182265.jpg (85 KB, 600x586) Image search: [Google]
1440256182265.jpg
85 KB, 600x586
>>337450050
>Uncharted games do absolutely nothing interesting mechanically
>you get a 10/10 now as long as your game is highly polished, regardless of whether it actually attempts to do anything new or original

Oh my god someone actually said it. Absolute madman!
>>
File: 1407357029735.jpg (13 KB, 140x140) Image search: [Google]
1407357029735.jpg
13 KB, 140x140
Uncharted has always been about that first experience and it normally excels with it. Who the fuck cares if its not replayable? It's not its focus

>>337455195
>I switched to normal

Oh yeah. that AI so braindead you couldn't even outsmart it
>>
>>337455148
>Good thing you spend 90% of the time in uncharted exploring, swinging from cliffs, shooting enemies, platforming and discovering treasure.

Good thing every piece of that is automated and on-rails on a glorified corridor with cutscenes taking control away from you every 5 steps while you have to endure Drake's forced pseudo-smug attitude with his cheap shit one-liners that you'd expect from some C tier low budget movie.
>>
>>337455130
Not progressive and mature enough.
>>
>>337454943
>let you travel around the world
L i n e a r g a m e
>>
>>337450050
Agree? Yes.
Uncharted can be a fun game, but a very shallow game. It doesn't have exploration, any decent mechanics, it's a giant set piece and everyone should know this by now.
>>
>>337455284
QTEs were cool when I was a 13 year old that wanted pretty things to look at and didn't care about the quality of the gameplay.
Remember God of War?
>>
>>337455150
>I don't remember any Uncharted before 4 having stealth outside of some melee segments.
You clearly didn't play Uncharted 3 then.
>>
>>337450050
>It's a bit like how Mad Max: Fury Road quietly implemented a strong feminist message in what looked like

What the fuck is up with this meme? There's nothing feminist about Fury Road. The women in the movie don't do anything except get kidnapped, threatened, and lead around by a male. It's like a lifetime channel movie in that regard.
>>
>>337455338
>on-rails on a glorified corridor
>he hasn't played the game
>>
>>337450050
>>Naughty Dog's Uncharted series is as generic as it gets. It's about a good looking white, heterosexual man

Stopped reading there
>>
>>337450050
How do these threads attract so much activity? I just don't understand. For how long can you conceivably discuss whether Uncharted 4 is a walking simulator or not?
>>
>>337454743
Adding:

Gaming now is too sensetive to hype and bubbles. Just look at VR.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/11/28/the-deanbeat-thankful-for-gamings-bubble-and-those-who-warn-about-it/

>Internet Dealbook found that the value of deals — combining both the acquisition values and game investment values — in the third quarter was up 6,120 percent from the third quarter of 2013. That was bigger than the value growth in most other tech businesses by far. The number of game acquisition and investment deals was up 56 percent in the third quarter, and the average deal value was $240 million, up from $7 million a year earlier.

Most the companies who make these investments will not see any returns simply because only a few will be able to become succesful and the hype behind VR is massively inflated.

The game industry needs to adjust towards producing products that instead of "immersing" their customers (removing their customers from the real world) they produce products that add something to player's lives (like fun). Games should not be so long and filled with "content" (like cutscenes, open world fetch quests and walking sequences) to the point that people feel obligated to completing them just because they bought them. Games should not have a requirement that they take so much time that they become a second job and intrude on someone's life as so many RPGs already do.

We see many games being made today but only a few people make any money, but this is because the market is inflated and people aren't actually playing the games they buy.
>>
>>337455406
You are right, I didn't
>>
>>337455312
That's some serious uncanny valley shit
>>
>>337455406
It was actually introduced in the second one.
They didn't always let you use it like TLoU, but they certainly designed a few encounters around you being able to sneak around and take a few enemies before the gunfight inevitably starts.
>>
>>337455301
You don't have those on Grounded.

>>337455325
>Oh yeah. that AI so braindead you couldn't even outsmart it

Do you know how to read or are you just stupid? I wanted the game to be over already and Grounded is extremely hard so why would I want to keep losing time on something I wanted to end already? Was your brain designed by Naughty Dog?

>HURR YOU PLAYED THROUGH THE ENTIRE GAME ON GROUNDED BUT IN THIS ONE TIME YOU SWITCHED TO NORMAL! HAHA GOTCHA!

Idiot.
>>
File: Disgusted.jpg (27 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Disgusted.jpg
27 KB, 640x480
>>337455432
>that fucking water
>>
>>337455224
Photorealism always ends up looking like shit ten years later. A well designed visual style will last for ever.

Just look at Shadow of the Colossus compared to Wind Waker. Both are great games, but only Wind Waker holds up visually.
>>
>>337455312
That's not what the Dual Shock 1 looked like.
It has PS3 triggers.
>>
>>337455375
>RE4 is bad geam
>>
>>337455612
I don't think they're thinking about sales ten years from now.
>>
>>337455549
why not just switch to hard or survivor? hard in TLOU is really easy, you'd get better achievements too.
>>
>>337455432
The very fact you're trying to wow anyone with the graphics speak loads about the game. The only think it has going for it is precisely that: the looks. Everything else is designed around giving you the illusion of choice. Uncharted 4's settings are big but you literally have a single thing to do and only one way of progressing. And go and try to backtrack and see as the system actively cockblocks you from doing that, just like in TLOU, you easily impressionable ape.
>>
>>337455628
I was talking strictly about QTEs
>>
>no one seemed to mind
except for the thousands of non-casual non-retarded people with taste and knowledge of games and their history

god I hate gaming journalism
>>
>>337454020
The issue here isn't one of "make whatever games you want".

It's an issue of "stop pretending games are something else". If you like walking sims, good for you. The issue is when a dull walking sim is being passed of as "the pinnacle of the action/adventure genre", and all these sub-par games create sub-par game developers, because the second they try and play something more than 10 years old, they get mad and throw their toys out of the pram because they died once and had to replay a section.

This awful spoonfeeding bullshit is creating a generation of morons who can't cope with anything but instant gratification.
>>
>>337450050
>It's about a good looking white, heterosexual man

What does this have to do with the quality of the video game?

Are they saying Uncharted would be better if Nathan were a transgender black thing?

Who could be behind this review?

>tfw /v/ hates Sony exclusives more than they hate SJWs
>>
>>337450050
Nathan Drake not being gay doesn't have anything to do with the Uncharted games being shit, but yes, this article is otherwise dead on.

Modern Naughty Dog games are cancer to the medium. TLUO had horrendous gameplay, but because it checked some boxes that people are used to judging more traditional media by, like film, all the psuedo-intellectual English major idiots came out of the woodwork to praise it as a leap forward for gaming. TLUO won GAME of the Year awards across the board despite barely being a fucking video game. Gaming is becoming more and more a place for writers too shitty to make it in film or literature to come and present their work under looser standards, without caring about the defining aspect of the medium, interactivity, at all. I don't want a future full of Quantum Breaks.
>>
File: 1462013317811.png (542 KB, 749x854) Image search: [Google]
1462013317811.png
542 KB, 749x854
This guy's article perfectly counterbalances all the 10/10 reviews around.
This game is not awesome but it's not shit either.

As usual, the truth is in the middle. Uncharted 4 is a good looking story-focused game. It lacks some engaging and original gameplay, since the level design is basically a straigh lines. Not that straight lines are bad by default, see Crash Bandicoot. But Uncharted is not even comparable to it.
So yes, good game with flaws. Still inferior to Uncharted 2.

7.5/10
>>
>>337455513
COD is still fun despite the (not totally undeserved) flak it gets.

And probably why it's still popular.
>>
>>337455692
Actually no, I'm pointing out that it's not all on rails or in a corridor which is what the boat level demonstrates.

But it's cool, I get it. You're on /v/ and you have to impress your fellow anons by spouting memes and hating everything in existence that isn't on the PC.
>>
>>337454736
>but not many games with the opposite.
You've been living in delusion for all you life then, I guess.
>>
>>337455678
Because I wasn't born in the 7th gen and I couldn't care less about achievements. I was one step away from dropping the game already because of how utterly bored I was about it. Then after easily beating the bloater I noticed that the only think that was actually appealing on this turd of a game was actually trying to work my way around the enemies so I switched back to Grounded and endured the rest of it. The last portions of the game were extremely bad because I was at least expecting some kind of choice on what to do about Ellie and I would have that little piece of shit killed in the blink of an eye, but this is a Naughty Dog game alright, you can only move forward as if you were playing a 2D game and you have no choice. I even tried to leave the operation room when the doctors begged me for it but it wasn't possible, I was simply forced to go through with it, kill everyone and get this annoying bitch back otherwise how would they try to shove down my throath my dose of forced feels?
>>
>>337455840
Gaming would be a lot better if we had more games that aspired to be 7's and 8's and got it rather than games that aim to be 11's and end up being 4's.
>>
>>337455904
How much does Sony pay you to shill, I would like to apply and receive my press kit as well. It should be easy money right?
>>
>>337455518
Yeah, that blatantly obvious aliasing on her hair is so realistic.
>>
File: Afon52Q.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Afon52Q.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
Uncharted 4 is not a complex game, it was never trying to be one for that matter but at the same time it's no where near what people here are considering to be a 'movie game' or a walking sim for that matter.

There's on and off road driving, a stealth mechanic, gunplay, platforming, rope swinging. It's pretty standard but the core mechanics work and provide gameplay. Witcher 3's combat mechanics are simplistic but you still enjoy that game too, right?

The exploration, level design and fully fleshed out bimos and envrionments, not just one but multiple fully developed gameplay areas help to immerse you in the game. Treasure hunting and re-tracing the steps of ancient pirates is also very fun.

>>337455692
That image was to show you it's not a ' on-rails corridor game' as you tried to put it. And what you're essentially saying now is that linear games are bad which is pretty sad. Take a look at what happened to Metal Gear Solid after it went open world, that's what giving you the illusion of choice actually looks like family. Every single MG game before 5 had top notch level design and it was because it was linear. Game design can take many paths though and some games can be too linear and it seems you're trying to apply your experiences from TLOU to Uncharted 4 because you haven't played the game yet and don't know what it's like.

Uncharted 4 hits the perfect balance between semi-open world and linear progression, you have wide open ended areas with branching paths but the separate hub design allow for clever and proper level design. I mean if you're never going to play the game, go watch the Libetaria level and see how fucking crazy level design can be when you design one within the set limitations of a open ended linear path.
>>
>>337454185
You might as well say story is the most important part of any non-game.
>>
>>337450050
>Pulling race into the issue in the first paragraph
>>
>>337455324
>regardless of whether it actually attempts to do anything new or original

How does doing something new or original translate to a good game? Games like "Gone Home" and "Undertale" did something new.
>>
>>337455904
>or in a corridor which is what the boat level demonstrates.

And I'm pointing out that the space is empty as useless and you are forced to go one path no matter what, which is the precise reason I've pointed out this game only tries to give you the illusion of choice while not giving you any whatsoever. But of course, an easily impressionable ape like you wouldn't be able to tell that now, wouldn't you?
>>
>>337455998
Agreed. Fanboys don't help this though. I've seen fanboys swearing to kill themselves if a game would get something under a 9.
>>
>>337450050

this faggot definitely browses /tv/. that's why his opinion is correct
>>
File: 1443133557329.jpg (57 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1443133557329.jpg
57 KB, 900x900
>ctrl+ F pastebin
>0 results
>>
>>337456090
MGS4 sucked donkey balls, and MGS5 was better in almost every aspect.
>>
>>337456179
>fanboys

They are everything that's wrong with the industry as they are literally enablers to this blatant bullshit.

If we only had a single platform to play games one then I bet this would vanish as games would be able to be judged by themselves instead of WAAAA MY TOY IS BETTER THAN YOUR TOY WAAAAA
>>
>>337455994
Alright I'm not reading all of that shit, I really don't care what you think about the subject anyway. I just wanted to know why you would switch to "I'm a hardcore bitch casual" mode when you started on the hardest in the game.

>>337456062
All of our posts get reviewed and we get paid extra when we're accused of being shills by buttmad Pkeks
>>
>>337456179
NeoGAF had a meltdown yesterday when an unscored review was assigned 40/100 and brought the Metacritic for Uncharted 4 down from 94 to 93. They started abusing the review on twitter, saying his review was obviously a joke and that he needs to quit his job because he's costing people their livelihoods.

1 metacritic point. And besides, no one is setting 94 as the target score. It'd be 95 or 90
>>
I smell tumblr on the first paragraph.
Thanks you, "euro" gamer but i don't want to play as a fat gay nigger.
>>
>Take the combat out of the game
>Now it is a walking simulator
>No shit
What is the point of this article? Also lmao at all the pcucks in this thread ass blasted at the fact they only have actual walking simulators to play.
>>
>>337456120
Ah yes because RPGs aren't games, right, underage retard?

>>337456418
>Alright I'm not reading all of that shit

wew lad, trying to save face already?
>>
>>337456176
You have an ultimate goal but what, you expect there just to be 5 separate end points? There are multiple islands you can explore and hidden treasures along the way, most of which is optional.

Go jerk off to ARMA 3 you jaded as fuck aspie
>>
>>337454743
>Those cinematic AAA games you like take way too much money to make and the marketing is too aggressive and costly, leading to a widespread shutdown of game developers and game publishers.

To finally add to this: It's nothing new that developers and publishers spent too much money on projects. Shenmue was perhaps the first example of a cinematic game that cost way too much to make. It cost way too much money to make and fucked up Suzuki's career because he made SEGA lose a huge amount of money.

In the PS360 days we saw about ten Shenmue's every year. This is not good because many companies lost money on these games. MGSV is another example of such a game. Too much hype, too much marketing leading to dissapointment. Shenmue III will also be a dissapointment, and so will Sony's partnership with Kojima. People expect something that the marketing promised but can't be given to them.

The point is that cinematic action games are not good products. It takes a lot of money and effort to make a game like Uncharted because the game relies on making the player say "wow" a lot instead of being engaged.

Cinematic action games lack replayability leading them to be sold when they are completed. This is people now say they only play through a game once and companies feel the need to add multiplayer (further inflating the cost of game development), DLC and put restrictions on used games.
>>
>>337451659

I agree, actually. The combat fucking sucks. In fact they should have gotten rid of all interactivity and just made it a movie...oh but then it would fucking suck because the blatant schlock that passes for "good story" in video gaymes can't hold up to the standards of even the most mediocre television shows and films.
>>
he's right about the button tapping thing. there's no value in tapping a button to move a log, it's annoying as fuck.
>>
>>337456470
As much a game as a walking sim. They are a poor attempt at choose your own adventure book.
>>
>>337456419
Neogaf users are the ones going in Crash Bandicoot threads shitting on the series, even the first three games, and complaining how Crash fans RUINED their experiences with a minimal spoiler.
Bleah.
>>
>>337456468
People need a reason to shit on Uncharted because it literally it's not allowed to be as good as it is. Like it doesn't compute in peoples heads that this game is not as bad as it should be.

I'm not even shitposting but that's whats happening, the game just can't be good for some reason and I'm starting to come to peace with this although I will point out hypocrisy when I can.
>>
>>337455842
People play COD for the multiplayer. I'm not really talking about such games.
>>
>>337456470
>save face
I'm not trying to save face, I could give a shit why you like or dislike The Last of Us. I was seriously wondering why you could jump from such a hard difficulty to "I'm a braindead retard" difficulty.

My guess is that you were never on Grounded and you only said that shit so if some dumbass accused you of never playing it, you could go "See! look at my trophies!" You just wanted to pre-empt the "haha casual, normal? get git" shit

If you had just said "I don't think TLOU is a great game" I'd agree
>>
>>337456506
>the blatant schlock that passes for "good story" in video gaymes can't hold up to the standards of even the most mediocre television shows and films

This is what never fails to crack me up. Take TLOU for example, which gets paraded around as the citizen kane of gaming, the pinnacle of the medium, and what is its selling point? A shitty story that is about as deep as walking dead, being stolen straight out of The Road because we've been on this fad of having survival stories in everything where there is some plague or monster going around but HUMANS ARE THE TRUE PERIL, OMG SO DEEP, VISCERAL AND GUSHING
>>
>>337456579

>Neogaf users are the ones going in Crash Bandicoot threads shitting on the series,

fucking knew it
>>
>>337456468
They're not really saying that, they're saying that the platforming is basically empty content in the same way that walking around the house in Gone Home is. You can fail and die the platforming and there's a lot of it, but it's not even hard or especially interesting or something you think about and there's a lot of it. They're saying that U4 pioneered games where you basically do busywork to get to the next plot trigger and that while that's not inherently bad, it's basically a walking sim because you're not actually really doing anything other than pushing the jump button.
>>
>>337456503
>The point is that cinematic action games are not good products

Stopped reading there. Your taste in video games doesn't define what is good and what isn't.
>>
>>337456565
I always assumed it was a hidden loading screen.
>>
>>337456635
>I'm not trying to save face, I could give a shit why you like or dislike The Last of Us

Yeah I could tell that from your successive paragraph long posts. And would you look at that, now there's two projections. First you called me a pcuck, now you're saying I didn't play it on grounded as well.

Anything you want to tell us about your agenda, anon?
>>
>>337456668
>that U4 pioneered games
Uncharted 2 pioneered this*

typo
>>
>>337450050

Sour grapes cunt
>>
>>337456697
that's what I would think too, honestly I wish they'd just get rid of them and have it be "press triangle once to start long boring animation" instead. I get absolutely no enjoyment out of mashing triangle.
>>
I dont give a fuck. I had a blast with every single uncharted game including the vita one. I played every game twice and then moved to multiplayer since its really fun and good,
>>
>>337456741
You didn't play it on grounded, neither did I because frankly I didn't like the game enough to come back to the game when the difficulty was added.
>>
>>337456794
There's supposedly an option in Uncharted 4 to turn the button mashing QTEs into Hold button prompts.
>>
>>337453431
> video games should be about gameplay, not fancy graphics or mature storytelling

You got it, dude. From now on, all video games are developed solely with a focus on gameplay. By the way, all video games look like Uncharted now. Uncharted the Puzzle Game, Uncharted the Point and Click Adventure Game, Uncharted the Touchscreen Rhythm Game. All the devs out there decided not to waste any time on "graphics" or "artstyle", so they all decided making every game look like Uncharted was the best decision for the industry going forward. And any kind of story in games has gone the way of the dinosaur. Nothing but gameplay, nonstop, no cutscenes and no content, just nonstop gameplay. Actually, this means you have to complete games in one sitting now, since save functions technically impose a vague framework of "story" and "progress" on the game.

I guess it seems kind of stupid making it out to be like this, but so is making overly broad grandstanding statements like "gameplay is the only thing that matters"
>>
>>337456653
It's blatant, really. Just check Crash topics on Neogaf and read some comments. Terrible.
>>
File: cinematic_gaming.jpg (216 KB, 792x694) Image search: [Google]
cinematic_gaming.jpg
216 KB, 792x694
>>337450050
>>
>>337456889
Wish I had known that before I played through 75% of the game. I'll check it out though, thanks.
>>
File: index.jpg (12 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
12 KB, 300x168
So according to this thread, this is a bad game because it is:

>Story focused
>Has minimal gameplay that amounts to pointing and clicking

It's over /v/, it really is, you don't come back from this.
>>
>>337456691
It's not about my taste. Otherwise I would say "game" instead of "product". You should be able to understand why if you read up that point.
>>
>>337456503
And yet, the industry keeps churning out these games. Maybe because they cinematic action titles sell consistently well. Games aren't made on a whim, and sequels aren't greenlit if the sales don't warrant it. The Uncharted series has performed very well for an entire console generation now. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people out there that prefer this type of game. They want to be told a story. As long as the gameplay isn't absolute shit they will continue to buy these games. For the record, the game plays very well. The story is fun. There are also a ton of people that would rather hold on to their games than turn them in to a game store for 40% of the sticker price, only to have the store turn around and sell it for 5 dollars off of new price. Fuck used game stores. Gamestapo in particular.
>>
>>337450050

>heterosexual man
Everybody knows Drake is gay
>>
>>337456908
disgusting
>>
File: Capture.png (54 KB, 1033x209) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
54 KB, 1033x209
>>
>>337450050
>caring so much about him being a straight white male

Euros cucking it up once again. I wonder if the author is Swedish.
>>
File: header.jpg (34 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
34 KB, 460x215
>>337450050
the Ps3.5 is doe weeb man-children who have the motors skills of the average cerebral palsy sufferer

>20-hour cut-scenes are all songyggers can "play"
>>
>>337456882
>You didn't play it on grounded

I wasn't aware you were playing right next to me, but good to know, marketer.
>>
>>337456984
I love how nobody is replying to my post because of how stupid and hypocritical it's exposes most of you to be
>>
>>337456984
Does it sell itself as an action game like Uncharted does while being a walking simulator? No? Then fuck off?
>>
>>337456997
>And yet, the industry keeps churning out these games

Well they do, and they don't. I've already pointed out how there are less of these AAA games now and how these AAA games are not financially sound projects. What I am trying to say is that a few of them sell well, but less and less developers can afford to make them or have already suffered severe losses trying to make them. This a bad thing because a market should thrive with lots of different succesful companies not have few games like Uncharted make a profit. It's even worse in this case because Uncharted is financed and published by Sony.

Your anger at game stores makes no sense. It's the product that is the problem, not the market.
>>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the article is actually praising uncharted 4 and the series post-uncharted 2, thus advocating for "sedate" games and not gameplay over narrative as much of the thread seems to imply.

Well, I guess trying to have discussions without having engaged with the source materials of said discussions is typical /v/.
>>
File: putin_nuke_mushroom_clouds.gif (372 KB, 499x281) Image search: [Google]
putin_nuke_mushroom_clouds.gif
372 KB, 499x281
>>337456997
>And yet, the industry keeps churning out these games. Maybe because they cinematic action titles sell consistently well.
if the recent Battlefront afterbirth could move 14 million units, the pastime truly has fallen to the casual autists

WW3 cannot come soon enough...
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/13/world/europe/russia-nato-us-romania-missile-defense.html?_r=2
>>
>>337456984
>The game is selled as point and click

Uncharted:
>Uncharted 4: A Thief's End is an action-adventure third-person shooter video game
>Genre(s) Third-person shooter, action-adventure, platform
>>
>>337457232
I love how I posted at the same as you did and how you couldn't wait more than 3 minutes so someone could debunk your shitty false equivalence fallacy but there you have it, now go cry about it, "genius".
>>
>>337457232
Here's your (You) now you can die happy.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 61

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.