[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wizardry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5
File: Wizardry_8_box.jpg (28 KB, 389x500) Image search: [Google]
Wizardry_8_box.jpg
28 KB, 389x500
I miss these games /v/
Wish they would make Wizardry 9

Anyone care to share any memories of this series?
>>
I remember once I was at the front of that base full of rhino guys, and some flower monsters popped into existence. I had to sit there for like 20 minutes while EVERY rhino guy in a mile radius moved to attack these monsters that died in like two hits.
>>
>>337437356
That sounds pretty toxic, I'm glad games nowadays aren't like that anymore
>>
I wish I got the motivation to play Wiz8 again, I loved every second of it but apparently screwed up with my leveling and boosted all enemies to an extent where I can't win a single fucking fight anymore. Seriously, how does this game work?
>>
File: been madder.jpg (30 KB, 321x357) Image search: [Google]
been madder.jpg
30 KB, 321x357
>>337436993
I can only remember worse-than-Bethesda tier enemy level scaling. Either you grind to overlevel top monsters from leveled lists for each area and then meet overpowered enemies in the end game, or you avoid leveling up to always keep your party at the lowest segment of an area's leveled list.

So if you go to the mine tunnels at level 9, winged rape wasps will spawn, which are a pain in the ass at level 9, but easy at level 12. So players who enter the area early or late are fine, and those who hit the mines at middle levels are fucked. Like everyone exits monastery at level 6, because if you go in blind and level to 7, red flowers spawned on the Arnica road would wreck your shit. On the other hand, loot chests also scale with level, so before transitioning to next area it's better to level up a bit, so chests become richer.

This system is a mess.

>>337439286
Don't read the complete FAQ, just find leveled lists for every area and stick either to the top or bottom level limits.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (67 KB, 1152x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
67 KB, 1152x720
>>337439812
There are some nice mods that have fix those problems.
>>
File: Wiz800001.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Wiz800001.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
there are only 2 things wrong with wizardry 8
>level scaling random encounters can be fucking brutal and unwinnable in some cases
>large scale battle can take way too long
second point can be fixed by the mod that increases battle animation speed past the normal limit
there are more wizardry games by japanese devs since they own the IP now and a shitload of wizardry clones like etrian odyssey, class of heroes etc
elminage gothic is a pretty decent one on PC and fairly recent, these are closer to the earlier wizardry's though
>>
>>337440375
I'd say magic is completely unbalanced. Monster magic is not only just plain more effective, they have the luxury of being able to target your party as a group, when they themselves are generally split into smaller groups.

Plus monster groups don't have to move as one. My range people have to waste their turn while I move my melee people close enough to kill things, all while enemy range people can do whatever they want.
>>
>>337440541
yeah it's kinda hard to judge the distance and manuvering can be annoying but that's just a part of it
i just end up giving most characters a spear or something so they can be useful
>>
File: free shrugs.jpg (84 KB, 600x857) Image search: [Google]
free shrugs.jpg
84 KB, 600x857
I never had a problem with the level scaling. Then again, I was used to the previous Wizardry games where enemies were just harder in general and random encounters would jump your ass with no warning. Being able to see monster packs from a distance made 8 a lot easier to handle.

>>337439286
Where did you start getting stuck?
>>
>>337441425
Saw the thread and prepared for some nice nostalgia talk and was surprised to see all the complaints about level scaling. Back when I first played it, I cursed like a sailor as Crimson Poppies and Highwaymen laid waste to my party when I first left the cloister area, but I just manned up my party and kept doing my thing. If an area creamed my pants I went to explore other avenues and came back later. The game is huge enough to let you do that. As an added bonus there's this supreme feeling of satisfaction when you later blow away enemies that gave you trouble earlier.

>>337436993
Some of my favorite W8 memories are linked to the special encounters, like Nessie or seeing Peewee for the first time. On another note, I love the "assign personality and voice to your characters" mechanic that W8 did. The assload comments that various characters throw in at certain situations made for some hilarious "dialogue" while playing the game and made my generic troupe more endearing to me that various modern rpg heroes with books worth of cross marketing background stories and comics.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.