[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unlockables Outdated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Fatalis Hammer.jpg (66 KB, 409x306) Image search: [Google]
Fatalis Hammer.jpg
66 KB, 409x306
I'm seeing more and more that several gamers and reviewers seem to be upset to have to unlock things in a game. More and more they seem to want the game automatically unlocked from the start. Not everyone wants this however.

But the prevailing argument seems to be that "I paid $60 so I should get the whole game from day 1". I can see this if it were gated content behind pay walls. But to me it seems that unlockables add incentives for challenges and offer important hallmarks in gameplay progression.

So what does /v/ think? Are unlockables outdated? Or should they stay? Should they be made more prevalent? Or less? Just curious to here the opinion here.
>>
>>337421742
The numales that review video games have copies that literally have difficulty specially tuned for them and still have difficulty with it. If there's no progressing in a game it's probably not a fucking game.
Someone post that easy mode gif.
>>
>>337421742
>"I paid $60 so I should get the whole game from day 1"

This statement doesn't really make sense, considering the unlockables being unlockable are arguably a piece of the game; a part of the rules that influence what a players goal is and how they'll set about accomplishing it.Especially if they're some sort of power-up.
>>
>>337422128
Yeah, I would agree. It's been my experience that that's what sets games out as being different from other mediums.
>>
>>337422128

I think it also has to do with the way people view media through the lens of the coprate board-room buzzword: 'Content'.

A new game is no longer a toy to be thoroughly explored and experimented with. It's content, like some meal meant to be scarfed down, shat out and forgotten in a couple hours.
>>
>>337422403
That's just a sad sad future... Pure, raw, homogenization.
>>
>>337421742
The worst thing I've seen are the people that would rather have the unlockables be DLC because they'd rather pay extra for that content instead of going through the effort to actually unlock it.
>>
>>337422852
Jesus... this is a thing? Literally cancer...
>>
Unlockables still exist, but they require your credit card now
>>
>>337421742
It kind of is, because game length/content and amount of possible unlockables has gone far beyond what it could in the past.
>>
>>337423268
It's not that surprising when you considered the kind of mindset people used to instant gratification have. Because that's the whole deal with unlockables vs. DLC.
>>
>>337393713
It doesn't make sense to me to want everything unlocked from the start? Why play the game then?
>>
>>337421742
It's just a clash between old game philosophy and new game philosophy. Nobody will ever be satisfied.
>>
I kind of understand in a fighting game with little single-player content to not want to spend time unlocking the characters you actually want to learn how to use and play online with.

But in other situations, especially single-player games, unlockables are one of the most basic and most effective ways to create a sense of progression and are should absolutely not disappear.
>>
>>337423678
Those are the kind of people that have no business playing video games.

Movies and TV were designed specifically with these fucks in mind since they couldn't be asked to read a book.
>>
File: 1230027913511.png (77 KB, 579x1552) Image search: [Google]
1230027913511.png
77 KB, 579x1552
Just give these whining ass cunts a credits selection on the title screen since apparently that's all they want to see for their $60.
>>
>>337421742
Unlockable content is fucking stupid. I'd rather pay Capcom $5,000 to unlock all the colors rather than playing in a fun edit fighter mode where you can unlock concept art and other cool shit at the cost of actually having the play the game.
>>
Ehh, depends on the game. For a fighting game or something quick and competitive you want everything unlocked.

For a long winded game like an RPG you need a carrot on a stick to work towards and reward the player. Something alot of devs like Bethesda don't understand with their focus on instant gratification.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.