[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just started this with the unofficial and hi-res patch installed.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: Arcanum_cover_copy.jpg (40 KB, 248x300) Image search: [Google]
Arcanum_cover_copy.jpg
40 KB, 248x300
Just started this with the unofficial and hi-res patch installed. Any general tips for someone new to the game? I was considering a tech gunsmith build, but my first attempt at a character has made the wolves in the canyon at the start almost impossible.
>>
I would switch to turn-based combat and go tech on my second playthrough because it's probably the hardest build.
>>
>>337396905
>it's probably the hardest build
Why is that? I don't mind a challenge, I'm starting on hard because I'm a bit of a masochist.
>>
>>337397151
I haven't played in a couple of years but I remember not getting any good schematics until mid-late and generally having a harder time doing damage because of the dumping required in tech stuff.
>>
>first attempt at a character has made the wolves in the canyon at the start almost impossible.
That's the tutorial area. Not even 1% of the game.
I would advise you to read the manual. It's not only helpful but also really funny and well made. One of the best ever, actually.

Then, play according to the character you envision. This isn't a modern game that guides and lets you through no matter what. If you don't skill combat stats/skills at the start then you need to run from enemies and look for companions to fight for you (even though this game has a lot of freedom for different builds and non-violent solutions there will be lots of combat).

Directions to get started:
After Shrouded Hills head for Tarant and explore everything.
It's open world so if something is too strong, go find experience somewhere else.

As for TB/RT, I'd recommend using turn-based in the beginning to learn the mechanics and for strong enemies. Use real-time to get through trashmobs quickly.
>>
>>337396531
Pro-tip: Read the manual to get insights on the game.
>>
File: Looking_Glass_Rifle.jpg (153 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Looking_Glass_Rifle.jpg
153 KB, 800x600
>>337397151
>Why is that?
Magick is overpowered as hell. It all boils down to spamming one low level damage spell.

Melee is also pretty overpowered, doesn't maater if you go magickal or tech weapons.

Guns, while not overpowered, are still fairly good. The game is not that hard overall, fine revolver you can get/craft at the start of the game and pic related that you can craft/steal it quite early carried me through the whole game.

And tech is definetly the most fun.
>>
>>337396531

Charisma build with followers provides a fuckton more options and content.
>>
>>337399396

It's also the most overpowered build in the game.
>>
>>337398392
>>337398683
I think my main issue is I was combining real-time with hard mode at the very beginning. Due to my character build, a single one of the non-starving wolves would actually kill both of us alone. I had to resort to dynamite/stun grenades to blow up two of them but then realized there were way more than that.
>>337398825
I wanted to try an explosives build with a minor focus on guns. As with most games, it explosives are hard to come by at the start. I vaguely remember reading that gunsmithing was useless because you can essentially read books and save skill points albeit at a cost of gold, is that true?
>>
>>337399554

Encyclopedia's to raise your tech skill in a degree field are available in Tarant's University, but you won't want to lug them around, they are far too heavy for that.
>>
>>337399757
So those are a temporary boost that you have to constantly have the book to actually utilize? Semi-related, how is item storage handled in this game? Do items on the ground despawn after so long or do chests get reallocated with loot?
>>
>>337400184

I'm thinking back to 2002 here.. but I think as long as it was in your inventory.
>>
>>337399554
>I wanted to try an explosives build with a minor focus on guns.
It can work, but explosives are more of an utility. I would max both the throwing and firearms skill anyway.

>As with most games, it explosives are hard to come by at the start
Make molotovs. Rags can be found in trash cans, you can buy fuel in most general stores and later craft it as well.

>I vaguely remember reading that gunsmithing was useless because you can essentially read books and save skill points albeit at a cost of gold, is that true?
Kinda, but those skill boosting book weight a ton and it's a chore to constantly backtrack to pick them up whenever you want to craft. Skill points are not that scarce.

But really if you want to min-max then gunsmith is a waste because you can acquire the most useful guns by stealing them. Arcanum has a system of "fate points" which can be sometimes used to bend the fate in your favour, including 100% success chance on the next stealing attempt.

But I would learn crafting anyway. It's more fun that way.
>>
>>337400451

Trash bins respawn, I *think* containers are safe. I used a charisma build with 7-8 companions (20 CH & Master Persuasion) so had near infinite storage in my followers inventories.
>>
>>337400184
everything in trash bins gets removed after awhile, otherwise it stays where you put it
>>
>>337400536
>Arcanum has a system of "fate points" which can be sometimes used to bend the fate in your favour, including 100% success chance on the next stealing attempt.

Fantastic for stealing the +3 Charisma +3 Beauty Magic Ring in Tarant.
>>
Read the newspapers.
>>
>>337397151
If you really want to do a tech run, don't start with full on tech stats. just start with a melee/sword build and get the tech stats on later level ups
>>
>>337400880
who has that?
>>
>>337400889

Recruit Geoffry Tarellond-Ashe!
>>
>>337400184
hotel chests are safe storages even if you don't rent the room
there's also a quest quite early in the game that gives you a warehouse
>>
>>337401025

One of the Gnomes, I think, has an Ogre bodyguard. Think he might be the guy you "service" as a woman to get into the Gentleman's club in Tarant. Maybe....

I'm sure it's a gnome though, or a halfling.
>>
File: 1445823626746.png (595 KB, 785x544) Image search: [Google]
1445823626746.png
595 KB, 785x544
KILL ALL THE FUCKING GNOMES
ESPECIALLY THOSE RICH ONES WITH HALF-OGRE BUTLERS AND BODYGUARDS
FUCK ALL THOSE ASSHOLES
KILL THEM ALL
>>
>>337400880
Maybe with non-tech builds.

With tech, there is literally no reason not to use two +2 DEX charged rings.
>>
>>337396531
>character has made the wolves in the canyon at the start almost impossible
The big wolves can be pretty tough but you should be able to access the world map before fighting them
>>
>>337401596

Tech is hard on a first playthrough, lots of inventory management.
>>
if you get the chance to get some resurrection scrolls, give them to your companions.
If you die, they use it on you. If they die, just loot the scroll back from them then resurrect them.
>>
>>337401994
>Tech is hard on a first playthrough
It's not hard, it's just not grossly overpowered as magick.

Crafting and imnventory management was half of the fun for me.

Unless you actually enjoy spamming harm or dealing with broken weapons in Black Mountain mines.
>>
>>337402187

Black Mountain was a stroll with my homies: Virgil, Magnus, Gar, Dog and Geoffry Tarellond-Ashe and Torian Kel.
>>
>>337402187
>enjoy spamming harm
This is what I don't get about every post mentioning the Harm spell. It does so little damage halfway through the game you have to break your mouse to click the enemies fast enough.
Sure it's efficient maybe but there are lots of other spell and tools in the game that aren't annoying and boring as fuck to use.
>>
File: Reanimator.jpg (124 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Reanimator.jpg
124 KB, 800x600
>>337402123
>If you die, they use it on you.
I never knew that.

What if you have 100 tech affanity though? Scroll won't work on you and you won't be able to use it either.

Will they use pic related as well? Or the version that can be bought in most herbalist shops called "restore life"?
>>
>>337402705
Disintegrate for life. Actually I just prefer spamming Haste spells on the Dog and letting the AI do all the work. That shit is overpowered like crazy.
>>
>>337402526
>Black Mountain was a stroll with my homies
Itąs a stroll with guns too since you can kite those golems in real time and guns don't break. Just bring enough bullets.

Really, guns are not har, you just need to use the right ones.

Fine revolver is the best early game because you can either craft it with revolver chamber in that first cave or start the game with it if you pick "bBndit" background.

Then switch to Looking Glass Rifle. This shit is good it can be used for the whole game if you want to.

If you don't, it's good to upgrade to sharpshooter pistol. It's basically looking glass rifle but faster, at the cost of no ACC bonus.

Near end game you will be able to craft Droch Warbringer, pretty OP.
>>
>>337403132
>all those typos
I fucked up my keyboard somehow
>>
>>337402705
you get more damage the deeper your magic affinity is
I could kill those weird ass jellyfish shit in just 2 or 3 harm
Also, use the turned base mode if there's lots of enemies
>>
>>337403132
There's a really good pistol equipped by the blacksmith in Tarant. Alternatively there's also a powerful pistol held by the gnome around the center of Tarant. I think he's one of the trainers for stealing but it's been so long. The gnome's gun is more powerful but the the blacksmith's is more accurate.
>>
>log in for daily reward
>log out
i need another event
>>
>>337403812
Nigga you lost?
>>
>>337403892
yes

Anyway magick for life. Tech is for suckers.
>>
>>337403132

Nothing in the game is as overpowered as the Charltan's Protege background. Walk out of Shrouded Hills with Virgil and Sogg while Lukan the Witless hands over all his money with his profuse apologies.
>>
>>337403645
Sharpshooter pistol shits at both of them as I remember.

The gnome has a handcanon, which isn't bad but it has a terrible range and damage spread.

Looking glass/S. Pistol combo is best until you get Droch. Good damage, max range, low AP cost, only 1 bullet per shot.

Elephant gun has a little more DPS but it eats ammo to quuckly imo.
>>
>>337396905
I always play this game with turn combat on, I really can't play without it.
>>
File: screen14[1].jpg (25 KB, 237x393) Image search: [Google]
screen14[1].jpg
25 KB, 237x393
>>337401452

Never forget Half-Ogre Island
>>
>>337401452
Half Orc master race.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.