[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do people like this boring bland ass series??
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault.jpg (87 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
87 KB, 1280x720
why do people like this boring bland ass series??
>>
>>337363624
>boring bland

that's a little redundant, don't you think?
>>
What do you find exciting, OP if a series like Dark Souls is so bland?
>>
Well I didn't like Dark Souls 3 much myself, but the rest is alright.
>>
>>337363624
Because it's one of the more well done modern series in terms of gameplay, atmosphere, theme and story telling.

When you excel in all those areas, people are going to like your game.
>>
>>337363624
It is the Superhero movie of video games. It is unoriginal, there is fuck all plot, and it is pretentious in its execution.

However, it makes people believe they are actually good at video games for managing to beat it because of all the dank meymeys surrounding it, so losers keep throwing their money at it. Much like people watching capeshit pay to watch the same movie over and over again thinking it is actually good because someone told them it is.
>>
>>337364070
you just walk in dark empty areas slashing and killing shit and getting killed how do people like that shit? i do like the art style but overall its just really boring
>>
>>337364328
>>337364438
So its boring and bland only because you suck, okay.
>>
>>337363624
>bland
ah
>>
>good gameplay, unforgiving but not punishing
>good lore
>good premise
>interesting story (ringeth the bell of awakening)
>sexy armour
>sexy weapons
>sexy enemies
>sexy environment
>doesn't hold your hand
>you discover mechanics for yourself (i now disable tutorials in games because discovering mechanics makes it even more fun)
These are the reasons I like Dark Souls.
>>
>>337363886
This. Spill out, OP.
>>
It's just a rock solid premise, you know? There's exploration, action, challenge and a feeling of catharsis after overcoming it, There's atmosphere and a story that asks you to draw your own conclusions about certain things, keeping you engaged even while you're not playing the game.

The appeal is obvious.
>>
>>337364328
Superhero movies are not pretentious in their execution. They play it safe as fuck to attract a large number of people. They are kinda bland n borin desu familia idk wtf u are sayin but hey u sound really retarded
>>
>>337364770
>good gameplay, unforgiving but not punishing
Except it is extremely forgiving with the huge recovery times of bosses. Basic mobs are not even a challenge for anyone remotely competent.

>good lore
Generic dark fantasy, random tidbits which sometimes contradict one-another tossed around, is actually quite bad.

>good premise
Yes, the basic premise is good.

>interesting story (ringeth the bell of awakening)
What story? The game has barely any of it. It is extremely bare-bones and not even worth a mention. There is no cohesion, no sense of pacing, no complex characters. These are the things that shape a narrative.

>sexy armour
>sexy weapons
>sexy enemies
>sexy environemnt

Yes, the originality of the visual design is quite good.

>doesn't hold your hand
It has dev messages telling you what to do all over the place.

>you discover mechanics for yourself (i now disable tutorials in games because discovering mechanics makes it even more fun)

See above. You choosing not to let the game tell you what to do does not make the game not handholdy by design. You can elect to skip the tutorial in plenty of titles, that does not give them points for "letting you discover mechanics" and "not holding your hand."
>>
>>337365498
grasping for straws, etc
>>
>>337365498
>What story? The game has barely any of it. It is extremely bare-bones and not even worth a mention. etc
DUDE, you have to RING A BELL. HOW FUCKING AWESOME IS THAT?
>>
>>337365498
>if the game doesn't have 3 hours cutscenes every 5 yards , it doesn't have story
>>
>>337363624
Why do people like you? Oh. Sorry.
>>
File: 20160424095521_1.jpg (547 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160424095521_1.jpg
547 KB, 1920x1080
>>337363624
COOL
LOOKING
MONSTERS
Goddamn I love me some cool ass monsters
>>
>>337365498
>What story? The game has barely any of it.

No, you vacuous retard. What these games lack is a PLOT, a sequence of events that transpire over your play through. Every single one is ripe with story and lore, they simply confine it to item descriptions, introspection, and world-building through the environment.
>>
>>337367408
>T-the game has story! I-it is just mad ramblings written on napkins and tossed all over the place!

Will soulshills ever learn?
>>
>>337364438
>you just walk in dark empty areas slashing and killing shit and getting killed how do people like that shit?

Asshole that's like 90% of all videogames
>>
File: 1454780557538.gif (788 KB, 340x266) Image search: [Google]
1454780557538.gif
788 KB, 340x266
>>337367594
Right, well sorry your dumb ass can't enjoy any game that doesn't conform to the standard of linear storytelling.

More for us.
>>
>>337367202
reminds me of brolly each time i see him
>>
>>337367914
>l-look at this stick behind a glass. You see, this is modern art. You are too dumb to understand it? Ehehehe, it is the pinnacle of artistic expression! More for us!

Feel free to keep it : ^ )
>>
OP, it's the same reason film buffs love extremely shitty movies and call them entertaining, fun, new and innovative when in reality the movie is utter garbage and it's only saving grace was that it tried something slightly different and risky over other movies.

Film buffs have seen good and average movies over and over again, moreso than the average person. to them it gets tiring after a while. But here's the thing, it's only to them, not the average moviegoer who doesn't spend hours a night watching movies to the point of exhaustion.

This is why when a film is rated, the producers use average joes to rate the movie, not the fat neckbeard film critic whos mind has been distorted after watching too many films.

In the case of Dark Souls, there are enough basement dwelling neckbeards who spend hours playing video games to justify making the game what it is, a bland, barren, but challenging game which they will accept as something new and innovative in their eyes, but not ours.
>>
>>337364491
I've beaten all 5 of them, homo. How is your "git gud" excuse useful now?
>>
>>337363624
Because you can post on Facebook about it and receive le epic upvotes us gamers amirite xdd
The biggest thing around it is that "it's hard" and by playing it cucks are lead to believe they're actually doing something.
>>
Hey guys please list 5 better games of current and previous gen than Soulsborne series (except DaS2)
>>
>>337363624
It has great level design and rewarding gameplay.
You need to be somewhat into video games to appreciate these
>>
>>337369395
Brothers
bastion
Journey
Witcher (series)
Hotline: Miami
>>
>>337369395
don't tell me what to do, fag
>>
>>337369561
>Journey
>Witcher (series)

I almost woke up my neighbours, still can't stop laughing.
>>
File: 1461484109517.gif (245 KB, 400x200) Image search: [Google]
1461484109517.gif
245 KB, 400x200
>>337369561
>Witcher
>fucking Witcher
>>
>>337369869
>>337370164
>these are the people who praise the Souls series for it's lore and everything else
I bet you went into Witcher 3 straight away after seeing the graphics hype and thought it would be an action game like Skyrim but with witchers n shit. Kill yourselves, my men.
>>
>>337369561
Nigga I liked journey but it's fucking two hours long and the definition of a walking simulator.

Witcher's gameplay is absolute trash in every iteration.
>>
>>337369395

Morrowind
Baldur's Gate II
Shadow of the Colossus
Metal Gear Solid (series)
Silent Hill 2
>>
>>337370467

>Witcher's gameplay is absolute trash in every iteration.

Objectively better story, graphics, artstyle, music, worldbuilding, and lore.
>>
>>337370864
Doesn't really matter if it's a bore to play through.
>>
>>337363768
Something can be boring without being bland I think.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.