[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Improve a bad game by changing only one thing about it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 8
File: Beyond_Two_Souls_final_cover.jpg (20 KB, 297x334) Image search: [Google]
Beyond_Two_Souls_final_cover.jpg
20 KB, 297x334
Be specific.
>tell the story in chronological order, Cage, you Tarantino-wannabe hack
>>
File: 1461386215781.jpg (378 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
1461386215781.jpg
378 KB, 2048x1152
>make it linear
>>
>literally make the first five hours of the game be a disjointed lifesim, with all the action coming in the next three, followed by another hour of lifesim, then one last half hour of action
>a dozen cliffhangers that are then immediately resolved five seconds later
>mysteries getting brought up after we already know the answer
No.

The story is structured in such a way that a chronological telling would wreck the pacing
>>
Every game needs more cute girls.
>>
The only way to fix the story for this game is to throw it in the fucking garbage can.

Heavy Rain was stupid, but if it had better voice-acting and Madison had actual agency in the story you would have something reasonably decent for a cheap 90's post-Se7en thriller. Beyond Two Thunderdomes is fundamentally broken on a narrative level, every aspect of the characterisation and plotting is terrible.
>>
>>337339436
For a game whose story is laser-focused on character development and which explores the growth of the protagonist from a little girl to a grown woman, telling the story out of chronological order is just retarded. It also limits the impact that your choices can make seeing as how you've already played future sections of the story and can't deviate much from that timeline. It just doesnt make any sense and actvely hurts the story it's trying to tell. Instead of watching a frightened young girl slowly and subtly grow up to be a weary, battered adult woman, we fucking zip around from year to year because Cage thought achronology would be artistic without realising WHY it works so well in things like Memento and Pulp Fiction. Instead of watching the smooth progression and development of one character it feels like you're playing five different ones. One minute you're a five year old girl playing in the smow. Twenty minutes later you're a ruthless CIA agent in training. Twenty minutes later you're an emo sixteen year old throwing tantrums. It just doesn't work. You don't know WHY Jodie feels the way she does at any given point because you only get to play the events that led up to that point three hours later. Sentimental callbacks don't have any meaning if you don't know what they're calling back to. Watching a tearful goodbye between characters isn't effective if you, as the player, are going to keep seeing them in flashback scenes anyway and not miss their presence at all.

Stop trying to justify your shitty decision, David.
>>
>>337339560
t. virgin
>>
>>337340439
I'm not even going to bother reading that post because from the first line alone I can already tell you're a retard who thought I was defending the writing
>>
>>337339281
ps4 version lets you play chronological.

Its still not worth it tho
>>
>>337340724
You're defending the decision to tell the story out of chronological order and I am explaining to you why you're a literal retard.
>>
>>337341032
Nope, now go work on your reading comprehension skills kiddo.
>>
>>337341032

I think he's saying that the story would be even worse in chronological order, because as-written the only way the pacing works is if it's non-chronological.
>>
File: 1451363670754.jpg (101 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1451363670754.jpg
101 KB, 600x600
>>337341087
You said:
>The story is structured in such a way that a chronological telling would wreck the pacing
And I told you why that's wrong.
>>
File: Skyrim_Cover.jpg (474 KB, 1529x1898) Image search: [Google]
Skyrim_Cover.jpg
474 KB, 1529x1898
Return initial character builds. Starting as a blank state doesn't really work since you don't have a motive to use the skills your character is good at and just end up going for what works best (stealth archery) all the time.
>>
>>337341208

I have played the game in chronological order and the pacing is fucked
>>
File: 503702058.jpg (392 KB, 727x1024) Image search: [Google]
503702058.jpg
392 KB, 727x1024
dyke
>>
>>337341319
You're still wrong, then.

The story - as it currently is written - does not work in chronological order. It's even worse than the regular version.

Just watch a playthrough of the PS4 chronological version on YouTube if you want to see what I mean, it's an even bigger mess than the original version.
>>
>>337341617
But I never disagreed with that. The story was written to be experienced out of chronological order so obviously not following that and just rearranging it as is will break things. What I said was that the story should have been intended to be told chronologically from the very beginning of development and that the decision to tell it out of order was terrible for character development, choice-impact, and narrative pacing.
>>
>>337341439
does being a lesbian automatically make you age quicker? wtf happened?
>>
>>337340724
Could you be a larger faggot?
>>
File: Sonic_Heroes_cover.png (196 KB, 290x414) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_Heroes_cover.png
196 KB, 290x414
Add option to turn off in-game voice diologue
>>
>Sonic Unleashed
Replace Werehog with Knuckles.
>>
File: Rosie_Page.jpg (122 KB, 728x1024) Image search: [Google]
Rosie_Page.jpg
122 KB, 728x1024
>>337342148
She has aged without ever growing up, just like an old boy who has never matured.
>>
>>337342508
kill yourself right now
>>
File: 1441917886402.jpg (638 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1441917886402.jpg
638 KB, 2000x1000
>>337341439
>>337342148
>>
>>337342093
>But I never disagreed with that.
Then why did you try to refute my post?
>>
>>337343132
Because you misinterpreted my original argument and I didn't realize it until a few posts ago.
>>
>>337342948
You gonna back that disagreement up or just keep meming?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.