[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me a reason why this is good other than it's "le
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48
File: demons.png (145 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
demons.png
145 KB, 300x300
Tell me a reason why this is good other than it's "le first"
>>
>>337311407
If you actually give the game the same chance, like any other title you've genuinely enjoyed, and let it trap you in its fantasy;

Its hard as fuck to leave. DaS & BB are great, but i want to return and get the same closure in DeS.
>>
Magic is actually viable, and was not nerfed into complete and utter uselesness. You could also pick literally any weapon in the game and beat the whole thing with it. And to top it off, more builds were viable both in PvE and PvP instead of the "lolnopeonlymemetanasandfastrollnowboisnipponstrongamirighte!?!;^)" bullshit that DaS2 started
>>
File: 254651635.jpg (221 KB, 1175x670) Image search: [Google]
254651635.jpg
221 KB, 1175x670
>>337311407
protect his smile, /v/
>>
In my opinion it is superior in all of the most important ways.

-INCREDIBLE level design.
-Varied, unpredictable bosses and enemies. Every boss is completely different and you really never know what to expect, one of the bosses even suicides before you can even fight!
-Best weapon upgrade system with a huge range of upgrade materials.
-World/character tendency which, along with the previously mentioned upgrade system, offers rewards for increasing the difficulty of your world.
-The numbers, scaling, stats, etc gave the game and character progression a perfect flow.
>>
>>337312123
DeS isn't the game where you can stunlock with R1, L1 dual katanas?
>>
good bosses
>>
>>337311407
The meme is actually
>le atmosphere

Even though that only applies to 3-1, 3-2, 2-1, and maybe 4-2
>>
The atmosphere was unmatched by any of the other souls games.

Also you fought demons which seemed like an actual threat rather than just the husks of beings who were once way more powerful.
>>
>>337312514
>>337312538
the meme is real
>>
>>337312392
>die a lot
>world turns dark
>nearly impossible enemy spawns
yep sure is a great game design
>>
File: Boletarian Palace.jpg (681 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Boletarian Palace.jpg
681 KB, 1280x720
It has the best level out of any Souls game, including Bloodborne.
>>
>>337312123
DeS pvp was pure trash

>infinite stunlocks
>99 super quick full heals
>warding
>second chance
>saying no meta when you generally ran into lmao 2kat, cursed weapon DBS, or blessed mirdan hammer
>>
Best waifu
>>
File: thomas.jpg (14 KB, 320x284) Image search: [Google]
thomas.jpg
14 KB, 320x284
>>337312273
>you have a heart of gold anon
>>
I really want to play DeS, is the only way I'm ever going to get to is to buy a fucking PS3? Will PS3 emulation ever come about?
>>
i've never played it and i'm obsessed with it.
Demon Souls was the reason i got curious about Dark Souls.
so for that, i already know it's good.

it has an olden feel to it, it's hard to capture with words.
>>
>>337312598
>game punishes you for dying
>"WOOOOOW what the fuck dude this is fucking bullshit go fuck yourself Kojima"
>>
...Why would I need to tell you its good? Its a Souls game. Its what established the formula. Its good.
>>
>>337313137
1.) Need to be revived for that
2.) Git Gud
>>
>>337311407
-Storm Ruler fight was unexpected and cool.
-You could steal other player's levels and souls.
-Dragon Bone Smasher. Best looking weapon imo.
>>
Do people still play DeS online? If so what soul level gets the most activity?
>>
>>337312914
RPCS3.
They're working on it.
>>
>>337312123
you can pick any wep on and souls game and beat the game with it i dont see this point

magic isnt shit in any of the souls games, assuming you are encompasing all spellcasting and not just talking about sorceries

ds1 hexes were super strong as well as faith
ds2 casters were a bit weaker still viable
ds3 pyro is op and past lv 80 so can be sorceries
>>
>>337311407
It's way more hardcore than any of the Dark Souls games, which had so many quality of life changes that /v/ 10 years ago would have called it casualized.
>>
File: 1409419594527.jpg (14 KB, 225x234) Image search: [Google]
1409419594527.jpg
14 KB, 225x234
Demon's Souls has faster gameplay than DaS, that alone makes it worth playing.

Also it's actually kind of finished and doesn't suddenly become an annoying piece of shit once you're halfway into it.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 KB, 62x94) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 KB, 62x94
>>
>>337312674
Pvp was shit but the game was great regardless of that aspect.
>>
>>337314042
Demon's Souls has a very video game feel. A lot of the sound effects and combat mechanics are totally in place in a video game.

Why everyone goes "Dark Souls has realistic combat" I laugh my ass off.
>>
>>337312639
Man this brings me back. I can still remember what it was like to encounter my first knight enemy on that wall. Was so intimidated.

I miss that feeling.
>>
>>337312586
>different opinion is a meme

see yourself out child
>>
File: no.jpg (87 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
87 KB, 1280x720
>>337312598
>nearly impossible enemy spawns
>>
>>337311407
compared to Dark Souls I'd say

>better pacing
>combat is faster and less defensive
>better atmosphere
>lore isn't as fleshed out but at least has the decency to wrap everything up instead of leaving gaping holes for sequels to fuck
>it doesn't fall apart at the second half
>doesn't have every character end their dialogue with a laugh like it's an anime
>halberd moveset

Now as for why it's good, that's harder to pinpoint.
>>
File: 1394268260892.jpg (66 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1394268260892.jpg
66 KB, 1024x768
>>337312639
Boletarian Palace is a fucking incredible world. The layout, the visuals, the enemy placements, everything. I wouldn't be surprised if no game ever matches it.
>>
>>337314521
I love the level design of all five areas, honestly, even 5-2

Boletarian Palace is a fantastic castle area, Stonefang is a pretty solid mine/cave area, 3-1 feels super claustrophobic in a really good, dungeony way and 3-2 is spooksville, and the Valley of Defilement is maybe my favorite swamp area in a video game

Shrine of Storms is maybe my least favorite area, but mostly just because the gold skeletons are always a pain in my ass. Storm King is my favorite boss in the game
>>
From the games ive played:

Dark Souls>Demons Souls>Dark Souls 2.
>>
Everything in it is done better in the other games tbqh
>>
>>337311407
le first
>>
>>337315317
>even 5-2

I never got this, even in DaS. I have no issues with the swamps, it's the fucking scaffold villages that annoying me.
>>
>>337315326
DeS = Das3 > BB = DaS1 > DaS2
>>
>>337315340
Besides healing and the worthless world tendency, I can't think of anything.
>>
>>337315463
Yeah, I never understood why 5-2 gets so much hate. It's a really good swamp level, if a bit stressful

4-2 is my least favorite area from a gameplay perspective, aesthetically it's super cool
>>
>>337312598
That only happens if you die in body form. Unless you're saying that you're so casual, that any time you die you use an ephemeral eye.
>>
>>337313901
>Emulating the CELL
>ever ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoGnDgqNGkk
>>
>>337315815
nope I did not use body form at all and the phatoms started to spawn like bitches. It gave me a ton of trouble in 4-2.
>>
>>337311407
Demon's Souls is the litmus test for good taste in Souls games. Faggots who use the games as a status symbol to show how hardcore they are will not like it because literally half the bosses are "gimmicks" (read: unique, atmospheric fights involving more strategy than the LOL BIG SPAMMY GUY THAT YOU HIT TIL DEAD fights of the later entries).

On the other hand people who have decent taste will consider it one of the best in the series for its atmosphere, level design, coherent plot and lore, and boss fight diversity. It's probably the only Souls game that actually feels like a finished product (inb4 giant archstone).
>>
>>337316032
>I did not use body form at all and the phatoms started to spawn
They only spawn when you have low world tendency, and world tendency only goes down if you die in body form. Why are you lying?
>>
File: 1451592180604.png (97 KB, 255x380) Image search: [Google]
1451592180604.png
97 KB, 255x380
I like it, but the physics are dogshit compared to the others.
Your character is slippery as fuck, and it's way too easy to fall from platforms.

>>337315618
The game cheats in your face, that's the problem. It's really frustrating that you have to kill shit while encumbered and losing health, but even more so if you see enemies wading through poison with no ill effects.

The boss fight with Maiden Astraea was amazing in every aspect, though.
>>
>>337316032
You must be if you're putting it towards black.
>>
>>337311407
It's good for the same reasons the other ones are good you megadork.
>>
>>337313941

>dks 1
>hexes

DELETE THIS
>>
>>337316180
You can avoid the majority of the enemies in the deep parts of the swamp, or at least I remember you being able to

And once you find the shortcut, you can bypass the water entirely
>>
>>337316174
>http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/game-patches
>Version 1.02
>Towards Black Tendency, die in human form
seems like it was added in a later patch, I played v1.0
>>
>>337316363
>These game patches apply to the Asian version only.

>NA and EU versions are already patched on the disc.

Keep the damage control up
>>
Is the online for DeS totally dead? I haven't played it for a couple years and was thinking about playing it again. It'd be a real shame if there was no one to invade or co-op with though.
>>
To this day I never figured out how to do gestures in Demon's Souls.
>>
>>337316148
>(read: unique, atmospheric fights involving more strategy than the LOL BIG SPAMMY GUY THAT YOU HIT TIL DEAD fights of the later entries).

>boss that kills herself
>obstacle course
>storm ruler spam

The only good gimmick was old monk, and he died with the pvp
>>
>voice acting that gives you chills
>the music makes you sick or feel uncomfortable
>great level design and enemy placement throughout the entire game
>feels more complete than DaS despite missing an entire world
>every boss feels like a completely different fight and they're all memorable
>best art direction
>simple, complete story that isn't 70% head canon
>>
>>337311407
I enjoyed the boss fights, particularly Penetrator, Flamefucker, Allant, and Tower knight. Also blue dragon hallway gave me the most trouble of any souls game. Finding the path through the fire without cheesing him is my most memorable time in a souls game.
>>
>>337316590
There's not much, but in the past few days I had AN invasion. And my Old Monk fight was a player.

I don't know how long bloodstains last but there's a good amount of them too.
>>
>>337316590

I haven't played in a long time either, but I've heard that a number of people make it a point to play through the game around Halloween. Frankly I'm surprised the servers are still up now.
>>
>>337316657
Just hold X
>>
>>337316657
Hold X
>>
I like it just because I hate giant bosses in the Souls games, I just feel the camera doesn't work as well as it should. And the only giant boss in DeS is done for gimmick purposes.

Also, I really really like the world. Except 4-2. Fuck 4-2.

>>337316590
I did a level 1 run like three months ago. It's still alive.
>>
>>337316363
Yeah, I played it when it came out too. That's how it works. But I'll give you a legitimate reason it may have been black. They used to, don't know if they still do, have events where world tendency would change. I'm pretty sure they used to make every world pure black on Halloween.
>>
>>337311407
Good level design and incredible atmosphere. The gameplay was amazing at the time but later games added stuff to it and made some changes so it's not the best in the series, especially compared to Bloodborne but the foundations are here.
>>
>>337316657
Hold X
>>
>>337316657
Hold X
>>
File: GarlAstraea_zps447cb5e6.jpg (35 KB, 640x450) Image search: [Google]
GarlAstraea_zps447cb5e6.jpg
35 KB, 640x450
>>337311407
Because it has some of the best bosses in terms of theme and atmosphere?

Also the levels were top notch. Great secrets like Old King Doran, and World Tendency was a cool system.
>>
World Tendency was a great mechanic, and the fact that it's not explained at all makes it better. Only casuals would disagree.
>>
Anyone remember fighting laggy Japs in PvP?? Never really got to experience Demon's Souls PvP.
>>
>>337311407
>le first
That's literally it though. I don't know why but whenever I play like every other Souls game, it feels like a huge waste of time and I get very drowsy.
>>
>>337317520
It's explained in the manual
>>
>>337311407
I don't know. Just started it last week for the first time ever on Ps3. Killed the first black jello boss then got wrecked by some dragon. Seems super slow especially after Bloodborne
>>
>>337317753
Oh. I don't usually read manuals, so you got me.
Anyways, what I like about WT is that makes staying in human form an important decision, since dying makes the game harder, while in DS it just means you can get invaded.
>>
>>337316479
well I actually got the asian version you mong
>>
My favorite game ever. I replay it every year and still enjoy it. The more straightforward story was much more immersive and memorable. It felt like a true journey in a cursed land, where you have to watch yourself to not get dragged in this darkness too.

Also the gameplay variety with broken weapons and mechanics was more gamey and awesome. Tryhards pvpfags ruined the following games for that
>>
>>337318374
You're a tool if you imported a game you didn't even like. Of course, we all know you didn't and are just backpedaling.
>>
It has:
>amazing, memorable weapons
>god-tier atmosphere and style
>huge, yet simple levels
>fun bossfights

It's fun as fuck, the Dark Souls series is dull compared to Demon's Souls and Bloodborne
>>
>>337311407
>mechanics, designs and graphics solid enough to still hold up even with the newer entries
>interesting and varied world diversity
>gives you freedom to explore while maintaining a clear sense of progression and direction thanks to the hub/world mechanic
>you actually interact with side characters and your interactions directly impact your gaming experience, it's not just summoning ghosts with vague lore behind them and meeting some people in a couple of bonfires around the game to get free items
>bosses each have a specific gimmick, rather than just being huge damage sponges with sweeping attacks and AoEs. also worth noting that some of the gimmicks introduced here, if not all, have been copied in later entries both as a nod and as something of their own.
>world and character tendencies, despite being somewhat of a pain in the ass for the purpose of item-gathering are interesting concepts that help your game experience feel unique based on your play style and decisions.
>full game with no DLCs

meanwhile you have games like BB that came one console and 2 games later and needed DLC to have actual variety.
>>
File: chrome_2016-05-12_12-47-39.png (26 KB, 1263x586) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2016-05-12_12-47-39.png
26 KB, 1263x586
>>337318525
>imported the game
I downloaded it retard, as you can see game version is BCAS20071 which matches the asian version and will turn world dark when you die in soul form.
>>
>>337311407
There's a magic to it that the Dark Souls series doesn't quite have. It's difficult to explain. The levels feel like levels, the bosses feel like bosses, and the Nexus feels like home.

Back in the days before Dark Souls was a thing and this was just a gem that we got to explore, fight in, and collaborate over the wiki was honestly a magical time for me as a gamer. And this isn't someone who was a kid at the time talking- my nostalgia days lie with the Sega Genesis. When I said that the 4-2 second reaper was a harder thing for me to get past than the entire poison swamp, my friends know what I'm talking about. It took me TWO YEARS to get the fucking pure bladstone to finally drop, too. Like I said, there's a magic to it that I can't really explain.
If you've tried it after all the other "Soulsborne" titles and don't get it, there's nothing I can really say that's going to make it click for you. The game is solved now, and the tech is aged, and the community has moved on. You either like it or you don't. The other Soulsborne games feel more like products (good ones-don't get me wrong) but Demon's Souls felt like a work of art.
>>
>>337319064
You actually grinded for pure bladestone? You mention collaborating on the wiki and shit and you didn't just find a bro who had it and have them dupe it for you?
>>
>>337318853
Then why is the date modified a year after the NA version came out?
>>
>>337319610
probably wanted to get it on his own
>>
>>337318853
>pirates the game
>complains

LaughingAdachi.jpg
>>
>>337319610
Not him, but it makes for a fantastic spot for grinding souls, if you want to make an overleveled character. Drop down and kill the reaper, then run to the skeleton and kill it. Run off cliff and repeat.
>>
>>337314131
No one even knows what this is. I never found you pure bladestone. My +9 uchi weeps
>>
>>337314131
underrated post
>>
>replay DS1
>get lordvessel
>suddenly stop wanting to play
>>
The atmosphere in Demon's Souls was so haunting and sinister and foreboding.

It's really interesting how Dark Souls is a high fantasy game with a world that should be a lot more dangerous and yet it feels a lot cozier than Demon's Souls. Demon's Soul's world just feels a lot more bleak and horrifying.
>>
>>337319885
I was complaining about the phantoms spawning when you die not being good game design in my opinion. then retards claimed muh it only happens in body form but that was only the case for babby tier NA version. so you can all fuck off, I actually beat the game blind but that dark world mechanic was kinda shit
>>
I've played the game for an hour and enjoy it but my controller is so shit that it's practically unplayable
>>
>>337318601

>amazing, memorable weapons
It didn't really have anything that stood out, almost only the most generic weapons with some small exceptions like dragon bone smasher
>>
>implying souls games aren't a shit
>Implying Evergrace isn't the best From game
>>
>>337311407
But le first is actually King's Field.
>>
>>337321926
Thats why they changed it in a patch you mongoloid
>>
>>337312598
dying as a phantom doesn't change world tendency you casul babby

just use ephemeral eyes at the boss fog if you're too shit to manage your health bar at 50%, which is fucking sad because this game has the most EZMODE healing out of all the souls games

world and character tendency was such a good mechanic, but everyone was a shitter at the time they didn't realize how to abuse it
>>
Give me one reason why it's bad.
>lol because the next games improved on it
Not a reason it's bad. Pokemon 1 was bad because it was a mess of a game, not because other games improved on it. Demon's Souls was a good game that was later improved upon.
>>
>>337312639
I would argue that Central Yharnam is better than Boletaria.
And if you consider the entire world of Boletaria to be one level then I would also include all the parts of Yharnam.

Boletaria 1 was amazing, 2 was kind of shit, 3 was varied in quality, and 4 was kind of mediocre, owing in no small part to the fucking dragon.
>Misutah Miyazaki-kun, should we make the duragon stop breathing fire when you enter the bossu roomu?
>>
>Had a pretty good DeS thread last night that I had to leave early
>This board archive does not have search enabled
Fucking why
>>
>>337322827
it does in the asian version which I played you fucktard. at least try reading the thread
>>
>>337323757

What the fuck does Pokemon have to do with anything?
>>
>>337324802
It's called a comparison.
Each Pokemon game has improved upon the formula, but the first games were actually pretty bad.
Demon's has been improved on, but it was good to start off with.
>>
>>337324848

What does this comparison prove? What does it add to the conversation? What the fuck is your point?
>>
>>337324716

Which was patched

Why the fuck would you be playing the unpatched asian version after the patches and other versions were released? You're the only retard here
>>
>>337324937

... but if we're including later fixes to the formula then aren't we agreeing that the first game was bad?
>>
>>337322180
DBS, invading 3-2 with the Stormruler, Morion Blade + Clever Rat Ring, Meat Cleaver, Bramd, Blind, Istarelle, Northern Regalia

DeS had lots of neat weapons
>>
>>337324937
because I wanted to have the original experience for a first playthrough. also I live in Asia so the asian version is the one I would get anyways.
>>
>>337325051
No because that logic is fucking retarded

It changed something that was shitty and made the overall game better
>>
>>337325051
dying so much that the world tendency is black enough to spawn black phantoms is solid evidence that you are bad at the game

you're literally blaming the game because you're bad at it
>>
>>337325197

Yeah, exactly. DaS fixed things that were shitty and made the overall game better.
>>
Don't forget that it had the best giant fight of the game series too.

Fuck Yhorm and the giant fights, Iron Golem is almost as good though.

HO HA HA HA HOO HOO HAA HAA
>>
>>337325230
That doesn't make DeS a bad game because it's sequel improved on it though

What kind of backwards black and white logic are you using
>>
>>337324907
What are you having trouble understanding?
>>
HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>337325223

I didn't play DeS enough to interact with its stupid tendency system.

>>337325252

Yhorm is the worst video game experience I've ever suffered through in my entire wasted life.

>use this weapon for this fight only with its charge up attack because we have literally run out of ideas

>>337325328

What's black and white? If the successors improved massively on the product, then what shitty standards do you keep to call the original good?

>>337325337

Your point about Pokemon. What is it?
>>
>>337325453
fuck off ryder
>>
it has incredible world design but still lots of glaring flaws fixed in later games like

>a limited amount of crystal lizards, if they run off an edge and die the items they drop are gone for good
>>
>>337325459
That improving upon a game doesn't automatically make that game bad.
Do you have some kind of learning disorder?
>>
>>337325459
You didn't improve massively after your parents, by your logic you're shit
>>
File: 1458930988726.png (177 KB, 367x321) Image search: [Google]
1458930988726.png
177 KB, 367x321
>>337312598
>doing world 4-2 with shit build before you know about world tendency
>>
>>337325579

I think you're a fanboy if you insist that the first installment is as good as the fifth revision.

>>337325617

Ok?
>>
>>337325493
RYYYYGAAHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>337314393
I'd say apart from your comparison, you'd just look at the major strengths of Dark Souls for what's good about Demon's Souls, minus the interconnected world and some other minor improvements
>>
Went and beat this last week after dark souls 3 I loved demon souls when it came out but every boss is way to easy it made me pretty bored but I still like it though for its level design and every weapon is viable.
>>
>>337325660
Nobody is arguing the sequels weren't an improvement numbnuts, you're just being called a retard for saying it's predecessor is bad because it was improved upon

If you can't comprehend that you're literally retarded
>>
>>337325660
So you are a fucking idiot.
Demon's is not as good as Bloodborne, but that doesn't make it a bad game.
That was my entire fucking point you brainded fucking retard. Jesus fucking christ, did your mother fall on her fucking stomach while she was pregnant with you? Are you that fucking retarded? Were you born with the fucking brain on the outside?
Fuck me dead, anon.
>>
>>337313586

Yes.
Anywhere between 80 and 200
>>
>>337325739
>>337325831

What kind of sliding scale of shit do you have where something can be massively improved upon repeatedly but still be good?
>>
>>337325936
I really hope you're just stringing us along.
>>
>>337325936
It's called not a pretentious cynic
>>
>>337325936
>game 1 is 7/10
>game 2 is 9/10
>game 3 is 6/10
>game 4 is 10/10
>game 5 is 8/10
>then, all of a sudden, game 1 somehow moves down to 5/10 despite not changing at all
>>
>>337325980
>>337325997

No, I'm being absolutely serious. What leg do you have to stand on? We all agree that the thing we're talking about has been massively improved upon, but you two are insisting that it was still good because -- why?

>>337326063

Yeah, that's how progress works. We get better, we make better things, we do better. Why should old things get a pass just because you happened to like them when you first experienced them?

Are you people all against progress? Or do you just think age excuses flaws?
>>
>>337326147
>We get better, we make better things, we do better
And also, I guess, patch old games to be bad? Did they release a new version of Demon's Souls with a bunch of bugs added and content removed?

How did they make Demon's Souls worse? I don't remember them doing this.
>>
>>337326229

What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>337326287
I thought you said each new game made Demon's Souls worse.
Did they release a 'breaking patch' when Dark Souls came out? Did they add a softlock into the Fool's Idol fight when Dark 2 released? Did they remove an important key item from the game files when Bloodborne came out?

How did Demon's Souls lower in quality when the 'sequels' released?
>>
>>337325094

>swords, spears and hammers

Wow, so unique :^)
>>
>>337326557
Well, not everything can be a transforming dildo sword with tape wrapped around the blade like in Bloodborne :^)
>>
If only they could re-master and port this game to PC.

After playing the souls games on PC its just so hard to go back and replay this.
>>
File: yurt.jpg (361 KB, 1411x1080) Image search: [Google]
yurt.jpg
361 KB, 1411x1080
The game was and always will be better than the rest
>GOAT level design
>Dark fantasy atmosphere only rivaled by BB
>Separate worlds provided good pacing
>Most weapons and spells were viable like >>337312123 mentioned
>Memorable NPCs
Granted this was my first souls game so I'll most likely have a biased opinion.
Also did anybody else forget to kill this fucker and completely let him wreck the npcs in your game?
>>
>>337326656
Bloodborne sucks amirite
>>
>>337326147
>We all agree that the thing we're talking about has been massively improved upon, but you two are insisting that it was still good because -- why?

Because it was never bad to begin with.
When Demon's Souls came out it was a good game
The sequels being better doesn't make Demon's Souls a shit game
>>
>>337326472
>>337326815

>progress doesn't exist

Yeah, and 19th century medicine is just as good as modern medicine. How dare you call it bad just because we know so much more about the world, how it works and how to make people's lives better.

If I liked it in the past, it's automatically good in the future.
>>
>>337326919
19th century medicine was all about orally ingesting toxic susbstances because "it might do something, maybe".
Demon's Souls was a fantastic game whose mechanics were improved upon in later games.

Again, I go back to the Pokemon comparison. Pokemon RGB weren't good games to begin with, like 19th century lead and mercury based medicine. Demon's started off as a good game, subsequent games being better in certain ways can't make Demon's a worse game.
>>
File: 1348801554894.jpg (68 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1348801554894.jpg
68 KB, 1024x768
>>337326557
Melee weapons are so dumb, right?
>>
File: 1232077958739.jpg (71 KB, 411x334) Image search: [Google]
1232077958739.jpg
71 KB, 411x334
>>337326750
>GOAT level design
What does this even mean? What about it makes it better than the other games?
>>
File: tumblr_nmfvkm0XH71qep3h6o1_540.jpg (61 KB, 540x284) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmfvkm0XH71qep3h6o1_540.jpg
61 KB, 540x284
Comparing DeS with DaS:

DeS has better textures and framerates. This is because each level is loaded seperately (Nexus system). The great thing is that there is still the same sense of immersion and exploration as in DaS, because you can see areas across the way and know you'll go there.

DeS beats DaS in level design as well. DaS levels feel barren and empty - boring even. DeS has levels that feel much more alive.

To me, DeS is harder because there are no bonfires but there are shortcuts that sort of fulfill that role. Still, enemies are less forgiving and there are more traps in DeS than in DaS.

The game feels more finished; doesn't fall off halfway, you get the idea

Seriously, the atmosphere is far superior in DeS. While DaS has great lore and world design, DeS trumps it in level design and the lore is quite good in DeS believe it or not.
My experience playing DeS was amazing, pulled me in and kept me immersed on the lore and trying to figure everything out for weeks. Tried DaS a few months after, was immediately turned off by the poor level design, poor textures, low framerate, and slower/clunkier combat. Bloodborne however I found to be fantastic in almost every way (rip pvp/replay value tho), and Dark Souls 2 I liked but you can tell it wasn't made by Miyazaki as soon as you start the game. I've only just finished my NG in DaS3, but I appreciate it more than DaS and much more than DaS2. It feels like it takes a lot from Demon's and I like that.

As someone who doesn't really care about PvP (invasions are great though, to be fair), and mostly appreciates the World Design/Lore/Boss Design/Combat of the Souls games, DeS and BB are my favorites. DaS2(Scholar) gets points for having the best replay value and PvP, but it definitely feels the most out of place among the 5.

DeS = BB > DaS3 > DaS2 > DaS
>>
>>337327464
Also, most people like DaS the most because it was their first Souls and they really appreciate the world design and lore. While I do also appreciate those things about the game, I find the gameplay, level design, and graphics to be of a lower standard to its predecessor. It's funny that DeS came out a few years prior to DaS and DeS is better in those fields.
>>
>>337326750
Demon's was good, it was somewhat original.

Dark Souls improved on the formula, added to it and removed stuff, new story, new world, new everything aside from the formula.

How can Demon's Souls then always be better than the rest?

>every weapon is viable, magic is viable
same shit applies to every game, aside from a few joke weapons like the Ladle from Dark Souls 2, broken straight sword and shit like Ghost Blade from Dark Souls 1. Magic is no way nearly as bad as shitters make it out to be in the later games, however, Miracles were absolutely shat on in Dark Souls 3. Then again, the rest of the game especially in terms of movesets, enemy AI/movesets and weaponry available is miles beyond what Demon's offered. Demon's was great, and is great, but it's objectively worse than the Dark Souls series and Bloodborne.
>>
File: king doran.jpg (107 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
king doran.jpg
107 KB, 1280x720
>>337327430
game of all time
The fact that you start a level and cannot rest halfway through it at a bonfire, thus forcing the player to make smart tactical decisions about how to progress through the level.
This is exactly what made the game so hard in the first place. If you died, you were fucked and you had to start all over again.
You only had two ring slots instead of the OP 4 that you get in DS3 and 2 I believe; one of which you had to take if you didn't want 50% reduced health upon dying.
>>
File: 1454055930864.png (269 KB, 503x595) Image search: [Google]
1454055930864.png
269 KB, 503x595
>>337327464
>DeS has better textures and framerates.
>DeS is harder

DeS has the worst gameplay and bosses of the entire series, but I do agree that world design is good.
>>
>>337327464
>DeS has better framerates
t. person who's never rolled into 5 barrels and promptly had his ps3 commit suicide
>>
>>337327707
So that's why the level design is better? Because of no check points? Some people (even veterans) would consider having to run through the entire level over and over to end up being tedious and bad design.
Honestly, I thought you were talking about the layout of the level
>>
>>337327842
That only happened in two places in 2-2.
>>
>>337327707
>The fact that you start a level and cannot rest halfway through it at a bonfire
>This is exactly what made the game so hard in the first place

This

The difficulty comes from having the restart the entire level upon death paired with enemies and environments that heavily punish your mistakes. Demon's is the best showcase of this formula.
>>
>>337327723
>easy bosses are bad bosses
Demon's only had three bad bosses. Leechmonger, Dirty Colossus and Dragon God. The rest were all interesting and fun.
>>
>>337327881
>no checkpoints
You didnt play it did you
>>
>>337327464
>DeS beats DaS in level design as well. DaS levels feel barren and empty - boring even. DeS has levels that feel much more alive.
what levels feel barren and empty in DaS might I ask? The way I see it, there was metric tonnes of shit laying around everywhere, enemies around every corner that weren't too many of, yet not too few to pose a challenge. The only area I can think of that's even remotely empty is Izalith.
>>
>>337327464
>>337327562
To be fair though, crystal lizards and tendency were terribly designed. Things I forgot to mention in my original post.
>>
>>337327959
>What is Armor Spider
>What is King Allant
>What is Adjudicator
>What is Fool's Idol
>What is Old Monk (NPC)
>>
>>337327953
That happened anywhere you could roll into 5 breakable objects you dumbdumb.

That, and the framerate absolutely shat itself to shreds during a few boss-fights like the armored spider and flamefucker.
>>
>>337328143
Those are boss fights, anon.
What's your point?
>>
>>337327881
I'd say the layout was preferable to me over DS1 or any of the other games. It was a steady sense of progression that forced players to push forward with a few branching hidden paths that had worthwhile rewards.
>>337327585
I'll take off the rose-tinted glasses for a sec and admit that the combat was drastically improved over the further iterations of the series, but what made the game so memorable to begin with were little things such as multiple NPCs having questlines, leaderboards at the very top of the nexus, even the feeling of the nexus in general had a sense of foreboding that none of the other hubs in the other games had.
Also the online community was generally helpful instead of being infested with meme-spouting PCfags that came with DS1.
>>
>>337327982
Did you? Killing a boss is your only check-point, or you need to start over from the beginning, again
>>
>>337328220
They are all terrible
>>
>>337328143
I'll give you True King, Adjucator and NPC Old Monk. If you're talking about False King fuck you
>>
>>337328271
You listed good bosses, though.

>>337328284
>true Allant was a bad fight
What's up with this weird meme? Do people think he was supposed to be a challenge? He's not an easy boss, he's barely even a boss. He's a story event.
>>
>>337328148
The only places with slowdown for that were in 2-2. The game handled it very well in pretty much every other area. Also, I don't recall any issues with those bosses and the frame rate at all from my playthroughs. I do recall some guy having a slight hiccup against the Flamelurker on a stream once though.
>>
>>337328065
Undead Burg got me to notice how bad the textures were and I didn't like the level design. One thing off the top of my head is Anor Londo; place was barren
>>
>>337328267
You don't need to ever restart the entire level though unless you always go to the first archstone like a retard like you said.

Also the levels in DeS are fucking short and all of them have shortcuts, sometimes massive ones. You can skip entire areas
>>
>>337328341
I think you're thinking of false king, the actual bossfight. True king is literally just a blob you kill, it's a stupid 'boss' fight but it still counts as one
>>
>>337328371
Anor Londo is one of my least favourite areas in the series. The level design is bizarre, the area is just massive and empty (even with a story explanaion it's still bland as fuck) and the place looks pretty bad too. It's just these whitish, yellowish floors and walls all over with no features.

I'd much rather have explored the lower streets, with the final part of the area being the palace.
>>
>>337328267
... In almost every level there are environmental checkpoints that shorten your run back. For example, in 1-1 you open the door in the tower, and then you open the boss door which is straight ahead of the archstone. In 5-2, you kick down a bridge which allows you to bypass part of the level since you've progessed past it.
>>
>>337328284
Obviously I'm talking about the blob and not the false king.
>>337328341
None of those bosses are good, they are just boring to fight. Yes I know King Allant isn't supposed to be a real fight but the fight itself still sucks ass which is how I rate boss fights, with how the actual fight itself is.
>>
>>337328480
>it's a stupid 'boss' fight
How? Because you played Dark Souls first and think every boss should be a 1v1 fight with some knight?
It was interesting for the true final boss, this hyped up monster of a man to be this deformed, ineffectual blob of jelly. It threw your expectations.
>>
>>337328227
>but what made the game so memorable to begin with were little things such as multiple NPCs having questlines
that shit's in the rest of the games as well mang
>leaderboards
that shit is also in the rest of the games, even Dark Souls 2.
>even the feeling of the nexus in general had a sense of foreboding that none of the other hubs in the other games had.
that's just, like, your opinion, man. And I raise your sense of foreboding with the comfy feeling of Bloodborne's hub, the orange sunset by Majula and DaS's hub that was directly connected to a shit ton of areas in the game, meaning discovering a way back there felt like a fucking accomplishment, rather than merely teleporting back from a checkpoint like in DeS, BB and DaS2.
>Also the online community was generally helpful instead of being infested with meme-spouting PCfags that came with DS1.
I'd take memes over help any day, seeing as I don't need nor want help, but I do enjoy a spicy meme even if I didn't ask for it. Also, people are generally helpful in DaS3 PC, case example would be the fuck ton of messages in the chamber after Oceiros, all pointing out the invisible wall at the back that leads to an entirely new, albeit optional area.
>>
>>337328551
Nah it was a shitty final fight for a game I otherwise loved, and DeS was my first
>>
>>337327464
I agree with you anon. Das felt disappointing coming from DeS, but DaS 3 managed to make me feel something that brought me back when I was playing DeS and think its the superior dark souls game.

Bb and DeS stay at the top though
>>
>>337328490
definitely agree. [/spoiler]anor londo[/spoiler] in [/spoiler]DaS3[/spoiler] is done right. nice and short, still showcases the lore of the area through the environment
>>
>>337328606
What's wrong with it. Please explain your argument.
It was a really interesting moment in the game. You fight the king, and he's really awesome and tough, and then suddenly you find out that wasn't truly him, and you descend down to the Old One, expecting some huge, massive boss, but it turns out he's pathetic, deformed, useless.
It's a great boss, although you probably couldn't even call it a boss. If it didn't have a health bar on the screen nobody would even discuss this.
>>
>>337328551
Just because >muh context doesn't mean the fight itself isn't garbage.

They can make the fight as emotional or epic as possible but if fighting the actual boss isn't fun or challenging in any way at all the fight is just bad.
>>
>>337328681
shit now everyone knows i'm a newfag
>>
>>337328358
DeS and BB were both cinematic experiences for me, in the sense that both ran at 24 fps, sometimes dipping to 20-18. Shit was jaarrying as fuck to look at coming from DaS 2 with a stable 60 fps. That, and the sub 30 fps isn't good with jap programming, cancelling out button presses that happen in 'dead' frames. Oh, and 4-directional rolling, now that I remember, was also in Demon's, with Dark Souls 2 thankfully improved upon for the good of the later games.
>>
>>337311407
Breakneck pacing that keeps novelty at a nigh infinitely replayable level, build viability (over-viability, some might say) and level complexity.

Same reasons Bloodborne is fantastic, come to think of it.
>>
>>337328734
I still don't underastand your point.
He wasn't designed to be challenging, or have cool mechanics. It was designed to be you wailing on this pathetic blob, this man who you thought would be all powerful but turns out is just a cowardly jelly thing.

Gwyn is a bad fight because it's designed as a real fight but can be exploited so easily to trivialise it. True Allant is a good fight because it perfectly achieves the intended effect.
>>
>>337328709
They didnt hide the fact the king you fight isnt the real one though, if you talk to Ostrava he basically tells you and the boss name is 'False King'
It wasnt much of a shocker.
And I was disappointed by not having a real end fight.

It was a shitty final fight to an otherwise great game and I didn't like it, I don't have to explain it anymore than that
>>
>>337328872
>And I was disappointed by not having a real end fight.
What is False King Allant then?
>>
File: 1462334506027.jpg (26 KB, 353x374) Image search: [Google]
1462334506027.jpg
26 KB, 353x374
>>337328756
>dark souls 2 baby shitters
>>
>>337328937
Not the last boss
>>
>>337328982
But he is.
You consider True Allant to be the final challenge of the game? Just because he has a health bar?
Hey, you can kill the Maiden in Black after Allant, so I guess she's the final boss then.
>>
File: 1453104608855.jpg (62 KB, 509x476) Image search: [Google]
1453104608855.jpg
62 KB, 509x476
>>337328856
Okay I'll try to explain it so your 3 year old brain can understand:

THE
FIGHT
AS
IN
THE
FUCKING
GAMEPLAY
IS
BAD

Jezus fucking christ, how many times do I have to say the context doesn't matter.

And Gwyn isn't a bad fight just because you can cheese it

>>337328872
But that's wrong, Ostrava doesn't know that the boss is a fake
>>
File: garl vinland.jpg (2 KB, 78x78) Image search: [Google]
garl vinland.jpg
2 KB, 78x78
>>337328572
I guess the point I'm making is that essentially ALL the souls games are good. There's no question about it since every new release is followed by massive amounts of threads on /v/.

DeS merely set the groundwork for such an awesome series to come into existence with it's only flaws being the shitty server connection provided by Atlus and the occasional framerate dip in 5-2.
>>
>>337328937
Not that other anon, but I wanted to point out that the realization that the Old One was the true god that Urbain and co. worship was one of the coolest lore points for me. Both sides of the spectrum (demons and people fighting the demons) were basically utilizing the same power.
>>
>>337329031
How is the gameplay bad?
Because it's not hard? It's not meant to be hard.
>>
>>337328872
What? Ostrava only told you that his father had basically become a monster, referring to how the False King wordlessly slaughters everything, and the boss name is Old King Allant. You only learn that he's not actually Allant once you defeat him, and the genuine article speaks to you immediately afterward.
>>
>>337329096
Old One couldn't be a boss fight, because a boss fight should be winnable.
>>
>>337329031
He talks about how something is wrong with the king and he isnt himself implying he suspects he isn't the real king, whether Ostrava himself actually suspects it I dont remember if its said so I guess you're correct on that

>>337329028
Yeah and that's shitty, I'd like more then a story experience to my ending of a great dark fantasy rpg that has a large focus on boss fights
>>
>>337327370
Is that dog alright?
>>
>>337329160
Well I guess we just disagree.
I think Allant is a great "fight" because of the subversion of expectations, and that the actual final fight is False Allant.
You think he's shit for no good reason.

We'll just agree to disagree.
>>
>>337329158
You're right, but nothing in my post was implying that the Old One should have been a boss fight.

>Not that other anon, but
>>
File: WAIFU CLEAVER.jpg (120 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
WAIFU CLEAVER.jpg
120 KB, 1280x720
>>337311407
because this thing makes my dick hard
>>
>>337329228
Because you don't agree don't invalidate my reasons you child
>>
After playing DaS1 I picked this up and just did not enjoy it, I saw too much in common with DaS2
>>
>>337322256
Fucking Evergrace, man. It wasn't great, but they had something really unique going on with that game. But I guess that's From games in general.
>>
>>337326750
>demon souls is the best
This meme is just sad.
>>
>>337325459
You're an idiot.
>>
>>337329262
same
>>
>>337329289
I really want to know what the fuck you find in common with DeS and DaS2 but I'm way too tired to get involved in that discussion
>>
>>337329272
Your reasons are just inherently invalid.
You're misunderstanding the boss. He's not intended to be the final challenge. If he didn't have a health bar we wouldn't even be having this conversation. He's not the final boss, he's a story event after the final boss.
Like the ghost after Orphan of Kos. You wouldn't argue that's a boss because it has no health bar, yet you're arguing about Allant despite it being the same thing.
>>
File: 1453102688421.jpg (26 KB, 599x337) Image search: [Google]
1453102688421.jpg
26 KB, 599x337
>>337329105
>>337329228
I can kill it with my eyes closed and a controller where only the R1 button works. The fight itself is garbage as you can barely call it a fight to begin with.

I rate the fucking Deacons of the Deep as a better fight than King Allant, even fucking Pinwheel is a better fight than King Allant.

>>337329160
He says his father has changed into a demon and that you have to kill him, he doesn't know it was a fake.
>>
>>337326919
That's the most autistic logic I've ever heard of.
>>
>>337329084
I completely agree. DeS is an amazing entry into the series, seeing as it "set the groundwork" for the series, but it's objectively not as good and polished as the later entries into the series, mainly due to the budget the devs had at the time. I wish we could get Demon's Souls 2, but I'm afraid that even if the legal issues were settled, the game would essentially be made into Dark Souls 3.5

>>337328945
does praising DaS2 for the stable 60 fps it had and omni-directional rolling it had trigger you anon. what would you have me do then, call it shit because it had a stable 60 fps and omni-directional rolling? Get the fuck outta here.
>>
>>337329383
>I can kill it with my eyes closed and a controller where only the R1 button works
I can kill the Maiden in Black with one finger.
I guess she's the worst boss fight in the game then.

You're retarded.
>>
>>337329367
>you're just misunsderstanding it

no I get it, it's just shit

>>337329438
Shes the level up girl though, she isnt supposed to be a boss just an optional ending
>>
>>337329432
Not as good =/= Bad
$5 is not as good as $10, but it's not bad.
>>
>>337329490
But she's the final enemy if you want her to be, and she's SO EASY to kill.
What a shitty game!
>>
>>337329494
It's more like $8 to $10 in this case.
>>
>>337329438
Maiden in Black isn't a boss fight, that's like saying the Firekeeper is the final boss of DaS3 because you can kill her after killing Soul of Cinder.

Not to mention I wouldn't even need any fingers to kill King Allant, I could destroy him just by pressing my fucking eyeballs into the R1 button.
>>
>>337329543
I never said it was a bad game you autist. I said the final boss fight is shit, it is. If you want to call Maiden the final fight it would be shit, but she's not
>>
I really enjoyed the bosses, they pulled off a ton of unique gimmicks really well in ways that the rest of the series still doesn't top. Even something as simple as Old Hero being blind gave the option to approach the battle very differently with how you chose to move, or gave use to the sound-related sorceries or thief ring, rather than a simple fight with a large, powerful enemy.
>>
>>337312914
Where do you live? Ps3s are cheap as fuck now and it has lots of great games
>>
>>337312639
how is this shit any different from the high wall or undead burg

its like the same shit

i swear you nostalgia fags are somethin else
>>
>>337329612
He is one of the best large, powerful enemy fights on top of that.
>>
>>337324848
>using fucking Pokemon as an example of a series that has improved over time
>>
>>337329585
>I said the final boss fight is shit
But False Allant was a really amazing fight.
The only flaw is the fucking dragon making a racket outside.
>>
>>337329665
Pokemon gets mechanically better each game. We could get into subjective stuff like the designs of the Pokemon and the """"story"""" of the games, but objectively speaking each game is technically better than the last.
>>
File: 2kat.png (180 KB, 919x770) Image search: [Google]
2kat.png
180 KB, 919x770
I really enjoy the atmosphere and design but I find it really hard to keep playing after 1 or 2 levels, not sure if it's the game or my attention span is just fucked.
>>
>>337329432
>even if the legal issues were settled
There's legal issues about Demon's Souls?
>>
>>337329749
It's gotta be fucked since this is easily the shortest game in the series.
>>
>>337317090
They did, yeah.

pure white on easter if the world wasn't already black

they stopped a few years ago with that
>>
>>337329494
I didn't try to state the point that the game is bad, just that it's not as polished as later entires into the series. I know some of the angsty teens that post on /v/ can only think in black and white terms, as in something either being da best or shit, but some of us aren't completely mentally handicapped.

>>337329438
did you even try to understand the post you replied to. did you even read what you quoted. come the fuck on anon, apply yourself.
>>
>>337329749
It's the game, I felt the same way and I fucking love souls.
I got every achievement in DaS3 in less than a week after launch (100 hours of playtime) but in Demon's Souls I played 25 hours and don't really feel like playing more just to plat it.
>>
>>337329748
But.. the best Pokemon games are Gen 1 and Gen 2 lol
>>
>>337329935
>I got every achievement in DaS3
Why even?
Covenants are so anti-fun.
>>
>>337329816
Sony owns it basically. Though considering the popularity of the Souls series now, they would be stupid not to take advantage of it. They'd profit hugely from a DeS remaster on PS4
>>
>>337329661
Another one that stood out on the gimmick was Fool's Idol. That had so many parts to it: the boss reviving from that enemy outside of the boss arena, letting you leave the boss fight because of that, the traps on the ground that would stun you that made you think about how to approach, the multiple fake clones that fired projectiles as well with the one real one firing a different projectile, etc.

It just stands out when the other Souls games have some gimmicks that are reminiscent of Demon's Souls stuff, but less to it. Like 1's Pinwheel and 3's Crystal Sage pull off the clone stuff, but not anywhere close to the rest in that same fight. Or Iron Golem being like Tower Knight, but without the accompanying archers, bigger arena, a shield, and a worse projectile.
>>
>>337330013
Same reason why I got every achievement in both DaS2 and SotFS.

But getting the plat in DeS is just infinitely more tedious and not fun compared to DaS3, even though I had to grind for 5 hours to level up the darkmoon covenant.
>>
>>337329816
don't trust me on this, I can't remember the exact details, but as far as I can recall, there was some legal dispute between Atlus, Bamco, Sony Computer Entertainment and Fromsoft over the rights to Demon's Souls and the rights to publish it. Somewhere along the lines, Fromsoft didn't have the full rights to develop a sequel and as such decided to start work on Dark Souls and Bloodborne. Bloodborne was originally intended to be Demon's Souls 2, but like I said, take what I say with a grain of salt, as I can't remember where I had it from. I think I took part of a discussion on /dsg/ where a few articles/statements were explicitly mentioned, but that's all I can recall. If someone knows the exact details, I'd pay ya 100 dollars to spoonfeed my face off.
>>
>>337330197
Like I said, covenants are designed to ruin your fun.
Even the co-op one is absurb by putting the covenator at the end of the fucking game.
>>
>>337312436
yes you can and it's called skill. learn to play the game
>>
File: 1462246061583.jpg (112 KB, 679x960) Image search: [Google]
1462246061583.jpg
112 KB, 679x960
My PS3 just came into the mail today, so this thread came at a good time.

I have only played roughly 3 hours of it so far and am loving the world design and atmosphere of the levels, the inbetween loading title cards are kind of cool, and the weapons feel pretty unique.

My biggest complaint is hitboxes and rolling, it feels much less fluid than the later games (which is to be expected) and poise seems to be a nonfactor for mobs. Hitting most enemies seems very clunky and trying to evade stuff last second seems way more difficult.

That all being said I can see why people like the game a lot, it feels way more compact and narrow compared to the more open feeling I got from DaS, but much more structured in its levels than DaS2 or 3.

Any tips on first time weapon rushes? I am thinking of going for a boss weapon.
>>
>>337330253
If you think about it, the reason the sunlight altar is at the end of the game is most likely because they thought the miracles it gave would make the game too easy (like in the previous games)
>>
>>337330253
>>337330253
I think we can all agree that Dark Souls 3 did placed the sunbro covenant item way better than the previous entries into the game. Slightly hidden in an early game area, attainable within an hour of playing. Although, it does remove some of the novelty of having to tread through quite a few areas and go out of your way to get the covenant early game.
>>
>>337330392
Go to 4-1 and find the Crescent Falchion. It can carry you through a good chunk of the game since it has high base damage. (Crescent weapons scale off your Magic stat and give passive Mana regen)
>>
>>337330392
most people just use the crescent falchion in 4-1 the entire game. a lot of the boss stuff requires you to fuck with tendency shit which is tedious and most save it for future playthroughs.
>>
>>337330405
So instead they make it so you can't get any useful miracles until right before the final boss.
>>
>>337330441
Funnily enough I actually only found the Sunbro covenant at the end of my game after 60 hours of playing and then checking the various areas again.
>>
>>337330405
Which game did miracles the best? Dark Souls 2: SOTFS had a few interesting spells like Heavenly Thunder, Blinding Bolt and Denial, but they required some heavy stat investment to deal some good damage. DaS had insane damage on even early game miracles like lightning spear, but in all honesty, I don't know if that was good for the difficulty-curve of the game or not.
>>
>>337330645
Dark Souls 3 just completely fucking botched miracles. At least Denial is still in the game.
>>
>>337330645
I've never played a cleric before because in Dark 1 the good miracles were locked behind co-op, which is basically dead.
>>
>>337329651
in that same vein, then, people who've played boletaria before any of those would be inclined to see high wall and undead burg as imitations
>>
>>337330392
The best weapon is the halberd that the temple knight starts with. (high damage, fast attacks and long range. The one handed moveset is kinda garbage however).

And yeah, rolling is clunky because if you lock-on you can only roll in 4 directions which is really weird.
>>
>>337330640
That feeling of seeing sunbros all over early game and wondering where they got the covenant item, providing an incitement to go exploring in early game areas, seeing as so many people have it early game, meaning even shitters who can't run to late-game areas, get the thing and go back have it, are there to give you the idea that maybe, just maybe, the covenant item is hidden early on in the game; I really like that.
>>337330746
the basic Lightning Spear miracle that you could get at 25 faith was plenty good for NG and even NG+ to be honest. I don't know what you mean by dead co-op though, I almost get summoned within a minute or two in early game areas still.
>>
Best PVP
Hella memorable bosses, even the gimmick ones
Demon King, Flamelurker, Gargoyles, that blind mofo just to name one of the most challenging and interesting fights
Valley of Defilement still gives me PTSD, no other swamp beats that one in terms of difficulty
Best NPCs the more you found the cozier the Nexus became and their dialog changed as you went through the game
Ostrava is still best boy
Maiden in Black is still best girl
Nexus is still the best home world
I still like the Nexus stone set up more than bonfires because it mapped out exactly were you could summon and it made it possible to play through the entire game with a friend
The servers in the beginning were not half as fucked as Dark Souls was
Great level designs

And finally, best lore, and we'll never know more about that world.
>>
>>337330645
Still finishing DeS, but I did pally builds for all 3 of the other souls games.

1 had by far the most useful PVE miracles, you could grab lightning spear with minimal stat investment and spec straight for greater. All of them were really good and WOTG was gamebreaking for pvp with any sort of delay.

2 had the most variety in play for PVP miracles, but was fairly tricky to setup and felt really skillful, was shit for PVE though.

3 just fucked miracles over, they are practically buff only. The buffs are amazing, but at it feels magic-tier bad but we didn't even get a soul stream type lightning laser.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.