[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a better competitive FPS on the market right now?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 10
File: H5G_BoxArtFinal-Front.png (1 MB, 1058x1356) Image search: [Google]
H5G_BoxArtFinal-Front.png
1 MB, 1058x1356
Is there a better competitive FPS on the market right now?
>>
Halo 2
>>
>>337279234
/thread
>>
>>337279234
nice meme
>>
>>337279234
gross.
>>
Overwatch.
>>
its ok, the maps are ok, the weapons are meh. I just really hate the stupid req system. War zone is fun though.
>>
Honestly I truly hope this game dies now for 343i not adding the falcon. It was literally all a lot of us wanted. We wanted to have fun in forge and custom games. We don't want to focus on the shit campaign, and the multiplayer that has 3 maps, and the rest are redesigns of those.
>>
>>337281012
kill yourslef
>>
Splatoon.
>>
>>337281801
is there still no mic support?
>>
>>337278343
less than 10k people play h5 and it's the worst one out
>>
Mechanically it is a great shooter. It probably is the most balanced Halo yet.

I have fun playing with /hg/ on /vg/. But it has a lot of flaws.

>Reqs are retarded
>Maps are okay but not memorable
>Shitty artstyle (armors, enemies, most vehicles)
>Shitty campaign story
>JUST getting infection this week
>Shitty playlist options for Matchmaking
>Warzone is underwhelming

I could go on. This is coming from someone who has put in about 100 hours from campaign, matchmaking, warzone, and custom games combined. Good deal for $30 and want something to justify your Xbone.
>>
>>337282206
>it's the worst one out
maybe the campaign but the MP is probably the best since 2, nobody plays it because nobody owns an xbone
>>
>>337282362
will firefight fix warzone?
>>
>>337282206
Where do you get those numbers? Your ass?

>>337282463
Probably not. Warzone Firefight doesn't have the problem of the team getting the final hit getting the full points, or the retarded spawns, but it does have the problem of repeating enemies.

Maybe it will be great, but as a diehard Halo fan I have come to have low expectations for 343 overall.
>>
>>337282818
By repeating enemies I meant repeating bosses. No one likes killing Warden Eternal a million times. Warzone Firefight is just that but instead of one it is TWO Wardens or maybe a RED Warden with slightly more powerful moves
>>
Pretty much all of them. Halo 5 was the biggest disappointment of 2015.
>>
>>337282463
No. It isn't actually firefight. It is one of the stupidest boring things I have ever played. Literally, enemies spawn on one part of the map,, you have access to all powerful weapons from pretty much the start. It is a joke. The goal of the mode is to have your team of 8 players with overpowered weapons, kill 100 enemies in 5 minutes. It was a failure.
>>
>>337283048
have they said what they're changing from the beta?
>>
>>337283129
I don't actually look at what they say about it. But I would assume from past actions we know how incompetent 343 is and that they refuse to listen to fans, so I would guess they aren't going to change a thing.
>>
>no grifball at launch
>no infection at launch

what the fuck were they thinking?
>>
>>337284221
They were probably thinking the name Halo would get them all the sales they needed.
I'm most angry about NO UNSC VEHICLES.
>>
>>337282371
>but the MP is probably the best since 2,
nice meme. h3 is a watered down version of 2 and was the most popular one
>>337282818
battlefront sits at about 10k population and is last on xbl top 10 and h5 isn't on there.
>>
Do you think they learnt something?
For H6 I mean
>>
>>337284592
>no unsc vehicles
What the fuck are you talking about?We have all of them except the hornet
>>337287751
Well they did said they would have split screen for 6. Apparently the biggest problem with 5 was they had to scrap the engine for halo 4 and had to start from scratch .
>>
File: To this.jpg (584 KB, 943x716) Image search: [Google]
To this.jpg
584 KB, 943x716
>>337278343
Fuck you, OP.
>>
>>337288092
>we have all of them except for hornet
What? We are talking about Halo 5 right? There are no unsc vehicles. There is a pelican but that is only a prop. You are literally retarded.
>>
File: thisguy.jpg (137 KB, 776x602) Image search: [Google]
thisguy.jpg
137 KB, 776x602
>>337278343
>console FPS
>competitive
>>
Unreal Tournament 4
>>
>>337278343
Wtf When did this come out? I was expecting an e3 trailer
>>
File: Aim assist.webm (3 MB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Aim assist.webm
3 MB, 300x300
>>337278343
>Is there a better competitive FPS on the market right now?

Literally anything that's not on console
>>
File: E3KOcAM.jpg (52 KB, 600x593) Image search: [Google]
E3KOcAM.jpg
52 KB, 600x593
>>337278343
>competitive FPS
>>
>>337282371
Even the campaign is pretty great gameplay-wise, the only major flaw was repeating the same shit-tier boss 3 times. The story is obviously dogshit, but the important things like gun-feel and level design are the best in the series. MP is good even though it feels like Halo than I'd like it to, but I also appreciate how 343 backtracked from their horrible decisions in 4.
>>
Good mechanics, awful maps. Also they desperately need to lower aim assist/bullet magnetism. Then it'd be god tier, but that will literally never happen. Not to mention dead game dead console
>>
>>337278343
Rainbow Six: Siege

fuck 343
>>
>>337292452
Bullet magnetism is nearly nonexistent in most precision weapons, though, and those are the ones that actually get you kills at the end of the day.
>>
File: Halo 5 (6).png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Halo 5 (6).png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>337292089
>Even the campaign is pretty great
yes, fighting the same boss over and over again was super fun

the game had its moments but I was pretty underwhelmed.
>>
Halo 5 is the best fps out!
>>
Why do people say the Halo 5 campaign is shit? I played it, and it was fine, nothing spectacular.
Am I missing something because I'm not a Halo fan?
Is it because it's too cinematic or some shit?
>>
>>337295423
did you play any of the other campaigns?
>>
>>337295423
What other Halo games have you played?

I re-played Halo 1-4 in the MCC just before playing Halo 5 and 5's campaign was definitely the worst. I don't think 5 sucks but it's just not nearly as good as it should have been given the budget and how important it was for the Xbox One.
>>
>>337282206
>>337282937
Can't be worse than H4
>>
>>337295636
I think Halo 5 was rushed since there were a lot of Forerunner vehicles planned for the game including a Forerunner War Sphinx and Tank.
>>
>>337283048
dude it doesnt even sound like you played it, it has random rounds, enemies dont just spawn in one place, and it takes quite a while to get the op weapons and by that time you're fighting op enemies
>>
>>337295763
the MP is much better, I actually liked H4's SP better though
>>
File: Halo 5 (2).png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Halo 5 (2).png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>337296801
It does feel rushed, a lot of stuff like Forge had to be added after release.
>>
>>337278343
Overwatch
>>
File: 1449636457442.gif (1 MB, 580x433) Image search: [Google]
1449636457442.gif
1 MB, 580x433
>>337297492
>TF2 Clone: Turbo Autism Edition
>competitive
>>
>>337295582
>>337295636
I played all 4, if I remember correctly, in the MCC, because I was interested in playing all the other games after I had only played Halo 4/Reach which might be why I didn't find Halo 5 that bad.
I dunno, maybe I just liked the cool moments it had because I've always liked that kind of shit
>>
>>337297772
I played all Halos from 1-5 including ODST & Reach. I felt Halo 5 campaign was worst than Halo 4 but I liked it better than ODST & Reach because to me at least it had better level design than ODST & Reach.
>>
>>337298124
I didn't love Reach but it seemed okay. I had never played ODST before the MCC and I liked the themes quite a bit but the Xbone version had some serious issues in online co-op mode.
>>
It's a good game, but hiding every unlock behind PAY2WIN RNG req packs was a stupid idea.

The campaign was pretty bad. Everyone knew it'd be a disaster to not focus on Master Chief. The gameplay is good, but I cannot see myself replaying that campaign as much as I did for Halo 1 to 3's campaign.

The music is nice.

The art style could be better.

The multiplayer maps are not memorable. I want more Covenant/ Forerunner maps.

Oh, they should replace Palmer's voice in Warzone with the original multiplayer announcer.

One last thing. Have you guys been getting a lot of frame drops during multiplayer since the last update?
>>
>>337298124
How, literally every single level is a bunch of hallways leading into bigger hallways with stuff to climb on.
>>
>>337298854
I found ODST & Reach to be boring. I mean you don't have to agree with me on it, that's just how I felt. If you have a different opinion that's fine.
>>
>>337295423
Story and writing-wise, it's unacceptably bad. It feels like a fanfic.

For instance, it should be a huge deal that Blue Team (MC and friends) are all together again. Instead, they're just generic characters thrown at you and don't address it all.

That's just one of many problems with the campaign. Plays great though.
>>
>>337298854
This. They should've implemented some platforming puzzles or something to make some levels vertical, to at least add some variety.
>>
>>337299776
The portal sequence before Locke and Chief fight should have been gameplay
>>
>>337288986
The mongoose, gungoose, scorpion, scout hog, rockethog, gausshog, and warthog all are present you fuckwit. Are you baiting or just retarded?
>>
>>337299707
The reason they shat on Blue Team so much was so they could give a bigger focus on Osiris, who they're obviously aiming to make the new face of Halo since they're the ones with the most screen time. I find it funny that they said that the levels were separated equally between both teams ("15" levels but it's actually 12 since three of them are just walking now around doing fuck-all), but it's actually just 3 levels Blue Team and the rest are Osiris. Seriously, fuck 343 for trying to pander to the veterans.
>>
>>337300042
I think he's talking about flying vehicles, was too dumb to say that though. Going under that assumption, he has a point: Falcon, Hornet, are all absent
>>
>>337295347
KEK
>>
>>337300145
Oh I understand. It's beyond fucked though how poorly the story turned out.

Instead of forcing AI co-op buddies, both Chief and Locke should have had missions where they recruit their squad. Would have been a way better way to introduce the characters. Also, giving any of them personality wouldn't hurt.

I'm not sure what pisses me off more, the complete lack of character development or that they pretty much ended the Covenant to set up Mass Effect 3.
>>
>>337278343
It was a good game but I just can't get reeled in my multiplayer games like I used to. Played for 2 weeks after launch and just moved on
>>
>>337299849
Fucking this, too. It would've been a huge change-up for the game. And it STILL wouldn't have been enough for how horrendous the plot was and how awful the marketing hyped it up to be. They made it like Locke and Chief were on two completely different political spectrums and fought for different causes (I'm imagining it to be somewhat like Captain America: Civil War where Chief was against the UNSC and Locke was for it) and then they would have this big climactic battle. This campaign was such a huge letdown.
>>
>Halo
>competitive
>>
>>337300380
I honestly hate the Forerunners at this point because they're just so completely uninteresting to me. They're so lackluster and the enemies aren't exactly amazing compared to the Covenant. The weapons are okay, I guess, since they make the definitive "pew pew" but they look like a more rigid UNSC gun just with more lasers. And they could've implemented so many new gameplay elements with the thrusters and clambering mechanic yet they didn't do anything with it except "slightly high platforms that you wouldn't have reached in an old Halo game."
>>
>>337300809
Honestly I'm happy with the Prometheans as opposed to 4. They blew in 4, but adding in the soldiers and toughening up the Knights makes them much more fun to fight. Plus, they fixed forerunner guns being useless and made every weapon unique.

I just wish they didn't cut out all the cool covenant stuff. Since 4, we're back to fighting the same Covenant from Halo 1. Every new species they added in other games is gone. Fuck that. Think of Reach where they had everything, or 2 with Brutes and Elites.

I notice the campaigns in both 4 and 5 seem like they're just there. They're both garbage and don't do anything exciting or bring anything new to the table. If 5's gameplay wasn't so much better than 4, it would easily be the worst game in the series.
>>
>>337301302
Thankfully this game is selling worse than Titanfall and 343 is being punished for how shit this game was. I just hope people will exercise more skepticism in the future when Halo 6 eventually comes out. But, at the same time, it's going to be a sad day when Halo is eventually killed off by his piece of shit developer and they're just gonna shrug it off to the bank and with their shitty new IP that I'm sure is going to be their own Destiny.
>>
Halo 5 is the worst in the series by far. I hate my Xbone. Horizon 2 is the only worthwhile game it has.
>>
>>337301867
>343 is being punished
They should be
>Three levels as Chief
>Same boss like 9 times
>Reusing similar environments from level to level
>No splitscreen
>Missing features at launch
>Cortana back after she died in Halo 4
Halo 6 better be the Chief/Blue Team only experience that Halo 5 was supposed to be for their sake.
>>
>>337278343
How can a console fps be competitive?
>>
>>337297772
>>337295423
Read the novels, they are really good.
>>
>>337302632
Anything can have a competitive scene if you can pit two or more players against each other.
>>
>>337295423
>>337281492
>>337282362
>>337282371
>>337295423
>>337295582
>>337295636
>>337298783
>>337301302
>people keep on shitting 5's campaign when praising CE's

I love ce but the nostalgia goggles people have for it's campaign is astounding.

If you like barebone minimalist stories, then fine, you can like the sketal story ce has, but the missions themselves in ce have aged so poorly and had issues even when it came out and nobody calls it out for it.
>>
>>337302504
Don't forget:
>Conpletely different plot through marketing
>Three levels doing nothing but walking around
>No Forge at launch as well as their modes
>Immemorable multiplayer maps
>Warzone is forgettable

I feel like 343 and its customers only care for the multiplayer and that's what they're being punished for. But they need to be criticized for their campaign as well and hopefully others recognize that, too.
>>
>>337303009
1 was simplistic, sure.
But that wasnt 5's problem. Read Haruspis' Halo 4 and 5 level-by-level analyses to get an idea of where 4 succeeded in its storytelling (and not gameplay) and how 5 is the complete other way around and how 5 tosses everything that had been set up out the window because Brian Reed is a hack who can't write his way out of an unlocked car that he has the keys to.
>>
>>337304009
>1 was simplistic, sure.

It's not the issue of being simplistic. I mean, for me personally that's part of it, but I can get not minding or liking that.

The actual issue is the lack of enemey and weapon variety, the reusing of not only geometry and repeating hallways but reusing entire levels for the later half of the camapign, and the fact that the sense of scale is far to barren.

Also i've skimmed haruspis's stuff and it seems just like a lorefag being buttmad their theories were wrong/unused primarily, and I say that as a lorefag myself.

Nobody whines about the plot points 2 and 3 fucking threw out the window. Well they do a little with 3 but only in the context of truth's personality change, not everything else
>>
>>337301867
>Halo
>Dying

Maybe the mainline FPS games, but there is a TON of room for spin off games.

>Halo Wars 2
>Halo 4X game
>SOCOM style FPS as ODSTs
>Splinter Cell style game as a Headhunter
>Naval combat RTS
>Entire series of games could be made about prior Arbiters in the Covenant

Just off the top of my head
>>
>>337303183
>Conpletely different plot through marketing

See this is what I mean with >>337304472. Do you even fucking KNOW about ilovebees at all? Go read a plot summary of that., and come back and say with an honest face that hunthetruth was so bad for not matching the game that much.

Then go and look up the fight for earth campaign 2 had, the Believe campaign that 3 had, and the IRIS ARG 3 had, and tell me if any of them are any better then hunthetruth as far as being representative of the game's plot.
>>
>>337303183
Oh are we revising history now and ignoring how Bungie did this shit (only far worse) for Halo 2 and 3?
>>
>>337304638
>naval combat rts

My goddamn fucking dick dude, I haven't played Halo since 3 but I'd be all over that.
>>
>>337304638
Hopefully.

>>337304696
Oh come on. The original Halo ad campaigns were off-putting, but they weren't blatantly lying like they were with Halo 5. I know about ilovebees and I'm saying it with an honest face: hunttheteuth was so bad for matching the game that much because there was no fucking truth to hunt.
>>
>>337304823
You could also do a game like the older Starfleet Command games, where you start with a relatively weak ship and then through missions and combat gain access to larger and larger vessels. You only control YOUR ship, but you could control reactor energy, shields, weapons fire, speed, etc,... Halo has a lot of really cool things that can be done with it that just aren't being explored. Halo Wars is a good spinoff and the sequel should benefit massively from being on PC.
>>
>>337305093
They did blatantly lie though. Halo 2 was advertised as saving Earth from the Covenant. All of their pre-release demos revolved around Chief taking the fight to the Covenant on Earth.

Then for Halo 3 they tried to do something similar, projecting the idea that you would FINALLY be going around Earth and fighting off the Covenant, and once again that's not true. The advertisements LITERALLY talk about Chief doing things that he NEVER does and project an entirely different idea of what the game is.
>>
>>337304802
See>>337305093
>>
>>337305093
>I know about ilovebees and I'm saying it with an honest face:

Then you are just insane, it was about time traveling AI's and a second class of s2's. it not only litterally has absolutely nothing to do with 2's story in any way, even thematically or tangentially, it also isn''t even entirely canon if at all.
>>
>>337303009
I'm not nostalgic for Halo 1 at all, I never owned the game until the Master Chief Collection. It's the weakest of the first 3 in my opinion but yeah the game is 15 years old so it has an excuse. Halo 5 does not have an excuse.
>>
>>337288338

I'm really amazed at just how shitty the art direction is for the spartans.

Truly baffled how 343 thought the armors look acceptable. They look even worse in the comics.
>>
>>337305437
>>337305608
Look, they're all good points and I agree that Bungie was bunch of liars too (still are even with Destiny). But I can't forgive 343 for the shit that they pulled with 5 since they were lying the most with not just he marketing, but everything else even when it came to multiplayer and story content. And most of the marketing that 5 had (which was a lot) was creating something so politically intriguing and game-changing about Halo and the UNSC and we got something that was basically fanfic-like.

I'm not gonna argue that the original Halo ad campaigns were truthful because I'm not and I certainly don't think that they were 100% truthful with what they projected. But 343 is the worst of the bunch and they should not be defended as such just because their predecessors are just as bad. In this day and age, we need to call out on their shit and that's what probably should've happened back then with the originals. End of discussion.
>>
>>337303009
The issues 1 had were with its repetitive levels and re-use of assets. Up until The Library, the game is phenomenal, then it takes a sharp dip down into mediocre until the Warthog run where it goes right back up. What people love about 1 is the open ended way to move through most of the levels, the tight gunplay, well told story, music and sense of scale.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.