[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are video games rock-bottom for an actor's career? Why do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: ellen-page-beyond-two-souls-4.jpg (29 KB, 921x690) Image search: [Google]
ellen-page-beyond-two-souls-4.jpg
29 KB, 921x690
Are video games rock-bottom for an actor's career? Why do talented video game actors with a good look (e.g. Troy Baker, Nolan North) not make the jump to Hollywood?
>>
Videogames is what they settle with after they fail to make the jump to hollywood. Same thing for writers and a lot of game directors, they're just wannabe movie producers.
>>
>>337194802
>>
Troy baker and Nolan North are at this points kings of the industry. Why would the bail from a great gig?

Speaking of Troy Baker his voice performance in Uncharted 4 is pretty good. They actually allowed him to use a different voice besides his Troy Baker one.
>>
>>337194802
nolan north and troy baker don't fall in that category, though. i guarantee you nolan makes way more for uncharted than 95% of hollywood actors, most of whom are working for scraps in the hope that it leads to bigger roles.

those two are good looking, genuinely good actors, and could land "real" parts in hollywood if they cared. i guess they've grown attached to the video game scene. or they just have such strong connections in the scene that it makes no business sense to leave
>>
>Rock bottom
Videogames look like they're dying to you and me, OP, but videogames are a media only just starting to blossom into mainstream success to everyone else, and the actors jumping on board are trying to get in on the bottom floor of these experimental new interactive movies.
>>
>>337194802
kevin spacey did CoD but he got picked up for a major gig in house of cards.

CIA has a continual role on GoT, though he got Quantum Break because of GoT since everyone on that show is the new hottness
>>
If you don't have one of the big four Jews or big eight Whites pushing you then you can't make it in Hollywood, get an Oscar, or become a lead.

Why do you think Jennifer Lawrence is popular? She got pushed by the Weinsteins.
>>
>>337195659
>dwight getting raped by juno
this scene will never stop being weird to me
>>
>>337194720
>kevin spacey hit rock bottom
You should really tell his millions and millions of dollars that you utter mong.
There is nothing wrong with doing mo cap or voice work. Its a job like any other job.
>>
>>337195659
That her vagina is excreting lubricants in order to aid her in procreation.
>>
>>337194720
western voice actors are shitty actors
japanese voice actors are high tier actors

this is why UNDUB is always better than DUB
>>
>>337194720
>Are video games rock-bottom for an actor's career?
No, but David Cage games are. Specially when he oversells his garbage as if it is the new form of entertainment, when they're just shitty adventure games where you can't lose.
>>
>>337196589

This. Videogames can be an easy pay-check for A-list actors.
>>
>>337195163
You sound like a fan girl that has no real sense of reality. Acting and voice acting are two very different things. Just because someone can be a video game voice actor doesn't mean they that translates to real acting, and vice versa.

They're two very different talents
>>
>>337195382
Not everyone is Kevin Spacey.

Also, True Crime had Christopher Walken, and he's been doing just fine since. Bruce Campbell actually seemed to be getting even more popular after he was in Spider Man. Ron Pearlman? Still treasured.
>>
>>337194720
Voice acting and screen acting are two entirely different animals. Also North and Baker have both been in tv shows and movies, though just for minor roles.

Voice acting is a way more reliable job though seeing as how people like North get literally thousands of roles.
>>
>>337197214
of course. but both of these actors do mo-capping, which involves a lot of elements of "real" acting. they could transition to hollywood stardom if they wanted to.

mark hamill gave up on "real" acting and became a VA because he was too recognizable as luke. his VA performances are way better than his performances in star wars. being a respected, quality actor doesn't have to come from being in a generic summer blockbuster
>>
>>337197214
Both Nolan North and Troy Baker are capable of giving excellent performances while doing voicework, body mocap, and facial reference at the same time. That's literally acting, no different from a movie or TV show. It's not just sitting in a booth reading lines, it's delivering a physical performance like you would on the set of a film.
>>
>>337194720
>Are video games rock-bottom for an actor's career?

You get paid a lot more for video game work. Only a handful of actors at the top make more acting.
>>
I'm always amazed by how much VA work Mark Hamill has done. He must really love that shit. Haven't seen his live action performance as Guyver yet, but I plan on it.
>>
>>337200898
Hamill is great desu.
>>
>>337194802
Lots of actors do voiceover gigs. Vidya shit is just an extended gig. If your budget can pay the double or triple scale, you'll be able to get a celebrity to join the production, no problem. Kiefer Sutherland was A-list and he voiced Big Medic because Kojima had the cash.

But Ellen Page, oh yeah, her career is in the toilet. She'll probably be in the next Trailer Park Boys season because nobody wants anything to do with her.
>>
File: onizuka ninja.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
onizuka ninja.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>337194720
What's so great about watching Ellen Page try on a toilet seat?
>>
David Bowie was involved in some videogames, but it's ok because he was David Bowie.

;_;
>>
>>337201923
Are you talkin shit aboot TPB?
I'll sock you good m8
>>
File: giphy.gif (982 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
982 KB, 500x250
>>337194720
Because they might enjoy voiceacting?
You do understand that it's very different from normal acting, right?
>>
>>337202730
Pls stop ;_;
>>
Sometimes a job is a job. Not everyone is a prestige whore.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.