[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is with the smear campaign against 3D Platformers not named
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9
File: 2-Crash-Bandicoot1-570x320.jpg (72 KB, 570x320) Image search: [Google]
2-Crash-Bandicoot1-570x320.jpg
72 KB, 570x320
This is an expanded thought from another thread that I've been observing for a while here. It's something I'm seeing from all sides against any 3D platformer that has a chance of success or returning.

>The Sonic franchise should die.
>No one outside of /v/ would play a new Crash game/it's too 90's/there's no room in the market.
>Ratchet is hitting it big with the remake, but "it's not a platformer, never was"

Just...what?

Why has this sentiment sprung up so suddenly, across all major mascots relevant to the genre of 3D platformers? I've heard the argument that there's "no room in the market" because of Mario. Why does everything have to be as successful as Mario? We have entire genres that have a multitude of games of varying scales, budgets and fanbases that aren't displaced by the market ruler, and are able to coexist off one another.

Yet with the recent stir of interest in the 3D platformer, for as much excitement that it garners, there are as many people ready to downplay any and all possible venues of it's potential return to the market. Maybe I'm not looking enough, but I have yet to see another genre of gaming, big or small, have any potential sign of growing or resurgence get actively discouraged by so many people.

What is going on?
>>
>Sonic's 3D gameplay is inconsistent
>Crash hasn't had a decent game in years
>Ratchet and Clank focused more on action
now quit playing the victim
>>
>>337165839
Nintentoddlers hate any game not made by the nintengods.
>>
File: header.jpg (54 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
54 KB, 460x215

That's probably less to do with 3D platformers and more to do with Sonic being terrible for over two decades. Even after they found a formula people generally liked they threw it all away in favor of throwing more garbage at the wall.
>>
>>337165839
>It's sonygger plays the victim episode
Fuck off. Downvoted.
>>
>>337166927
This game is a solid 7/10. Not bad by any means
>>
>>337169463
Not him but only the beginning is 7/10 at best
>>
I liked when /v/ was full of people calling 3D World the best game ever when it was released
Most people here are completely deluded
>>
>>337170520
Bullshit. Its middling at points but its still a pretty rich game generally. The rival fights and all story elements drag it down but the levels themselves are generally fun
>>
File: 1446264081760.png (192 KB, 290x271) Image search: [Google]
1446264081760.png
192 KB, 290x271
Guys, this is a Neogaf cross-post.
>>
>>337165839
Nintendo fans are absolutely terrified that their company is falling into irrelevancy
>>
It shouldnt surprise you that people want Sonic gone after all these fuckups.
Same with all the Crash games after 3.

People like Ratshit and Wank though so I dont know what you're on about.
>>
>>337165839
Who the fuck honestly says any of that?

The Internet can't stop jerking off at the thought of a Sony-helmed Crash Bandicoot and Sonic's quality is questionable at best. People were going nuts at hints of Banjo and Conker in E3s past.

The only thing close to a legitimate argument in there is "no room in the market" and the actual truth of it is just that Mario is the only one being made with any sense of regularity(one flagship 3D Mario per platform, one NSMB since the DS) and sells a notable amount.

Indie games are still stuck in the 2D phase. Mario is simply the last of the high profile pure platformers. It's like blaming COD for every other publisher being retarded with their franchises. It's not Mario's fault people aren't making platformers.
>>
I dunno OP, it'll be interesting to see the reactions of the new Crash and Banjo games?
>>
>>337165839
Why the fuck do you keep cross posting from NeoGAF?

http://neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1216978
>>
>>337172114
Because OP is apart of the cancer killing /v/
>>
>>337171868
>Banjo and Conker
why post in the thread if you can't get the names right? conker was a racer in dk racing. you're thinking of banjo kazooie
>>
Whats wrong with sonic outside of 06 and boom? Can someone seriously answer without resorting to memes and shitposts? People cant handle fast and jumping and thus call the games 2/10 glitchy messes? People cant handle some different gameplay concepts so its 1/10? Internet memers are fucking cancer
>>
>>337170520
The beginning is boring as shit, it gets better near the middle.
>>
File: Roadtonowhere2.png (82 KB, 640x429) Image search: [Google]
Roadtonowhere2.png
82 KB, 640x429
I hope there isn't some sort of smear or backlash because I started writing a platformer for the Quake 3 engine several months before Yooka-Laylee's kickstarter was announced, and I took /v/'s positive reaction to that kickstarter as a sign that 3D platformers were about to have a second coming.
>>
>>337172353
Please don't pretend to be retarded, it's unbecoming.
>>
Collectathons were a mistake.
>>
>>337165839
>What is with the smear campaign against 3D Platformers not named Mario lately?
It only happened in your head.
>>
>>337165839

3D platformers were always shit, they were only popular because at the time they were new and a novelty.

Now with hindsight people realize they sucked.
>>
File: Ggiphy.gif (471 KB, 474x379) Image search: [Google]
Ggiphy.gif
471 KB, 474x379
>>337172698
>P-Please, notice me, i'm making a game and i need it to sell! You see, i'm a friend of you guys!

No shame at all, i see.
>>
>>337173295
Notice that I didn't name the game.
>>
>>337173426
As if it was needed, considering the other informations you gave.
If you wanna become a developer and create your own thing, go ahead and do whatever makes you satisfied, but don't come over this board searching attention.
>>
are platformers the only genre mobile will never do right?
>>
>>337173851
What other information? That's it's in Quake 3? That tells you literally nothing.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=platformer%20in%20quake%203

I even googled that shit just to make sure. Nothing. Putting "3D" at the start makes the results even less relevant.
>>
>>337171868
that is an active neogaf thread
>>
File: hitchcock suggestions.jpg (19 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
hitchcock suggestions.jpg
19 KB, 460x276
>neogaf thread
you ARE the problem
>>
File: 134847624313.jpg (104 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
134847624313.jpg
104 KB, 640x480
>mfw sonyponys think their shit fur bait excuses for franchises are in any way shape or form anything other than complete and utter dirty brown water trash

Rehash bandisloot, shy pooper, ratshit and stank, ballsac and haxtar, isharted and so many other shitty franchises are complete ass and the only reason anyone thinks they're anything close to not the functional equivalent of a heaping mound of garbage is because they were the few games that took more than 20 minutes to beat among the mountain of shovel ware shit that got dumped on the wobbleststion 2 which is all you played with when you were kids because your family was to fucking poor to buy anything other than some two bit nip cuck mediocre DVD player

Fuck off faggots
>>
>>337165839
>I-IT'S A CONSPIRACY!
More likely it's because nobody other than Nintendo and indieshit hipsters want to try and make a big budget 3D Platformer. As for there being "no room in the market" it's not that Mario is gonna fuck them over, it's that nobody is gonna give much of a shit about the game if it isn't Mario.
Just to clarify people always put Mario up top the pedestal because of both name branding and high expectations for that franchise.
>>
>>337165839
Can't fool me
>>
>>337165839
Stop making threads from neogaf, fucking shiteater.
>>
What was that one generic looking platformer coming to ps4? It had a playstation featured trailer and was posted in a similar thread months ago. I think you played as a tiger?The movement looked off and the character design and dialogue sucked but it looked like an early ps2 3D platformer with lots of things to pick up and jump across
>>
>>337165839
I never really liked 3d platformers
>>
File: Iwonderwhoisbehindthispost.jpg (95 KB, 1290x387) Image search: [Google]
Iwonderwhoisbehindthispost.jpg
95 KB, 1290x387
>>337165839
>People won't take the bait on NeoGAF
>Where else can I find a rabid group of sonyggers?
>>
>>337165839

3D Sonic should die. They should make a big-budget side-scrolling revival like Nintendo did with Donkey Kong Country Returns.
>>
>>337165839
Naughty dog has matured passed these immature games.
>>
>>337169463

I still have not finished Lost World, I got to the final world but lost interest entirely. The whole game has been a grind to get through, it's not fun in the slightest and full of bullshit relating to how shitty your physics are and how even while constantly holding down the run button it's not enough to clear some gaps unless you jump at the very edge. It's simply not fun, and it's poorly designed

Not even the 'it's good if you treat it like it's not sonic' argument is true because everything about the physics and overall gameplay experience is shit
>>
>>337180380
Sonic Team can't handle 2D Sonic.
>>
>>337180607
Does it make me a bad WiiU Owner that I'd MUCH rather play Devil's Third and think it's a better game than Sonic Lost World?
>>
>>337180678

Are we sure this is true? Maybe they just need different lead designers and more development time/budget.
If not, then they should license the property to someone else who can, or get another team at Sega to do it.
>>
>>337180861

Most games are better than Sonic Lost World
Even the sonic fucking adventures, and I say that believing that SA games are thoroughly mediocre at best and full of non-ignorable flaws at their core
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.