[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Lord Gwyn trembled at the Dark. Clinging to his Age of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 28
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 236x330) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 236x330
"Lord Gwyn trembled at the Dark.
Clinging to his Age of Fire, and in dire fear of humans,
And the Dark Lord who would one day be born amongst them,
Lord Gwyn resisted the course of nature.
By sacrificing himself to link the Fire, and commanding his children to shepherd the humans,
Gwyn has blurred your past, to prevent the birth of the Dark Lord."
- Darkstalker Kaath
>>
go away you lousy snake
>>
why has everything the abyss touched turned into a disaster?
>>
>>337133754
Why switch one snake for another. This one is evil as shit but at least he's honest with you. Unless of course you're fine with setting yourself on fire and preventing humans from gaining power.
>>
>>337133883
To be fair, we've never seen what happens when the Abyss truly evolves and grows. For all we know, Manus and the people of Oolacile would have one day become massive god like dragon people because humanity had done its own thing separate from the Flame and doesn't burn out like the flame
>>
>>337133883
The Abyss is is to Dark as Cinder is to Fire. Abyss is corruption. The result of staving it off kindling the First Flame.
>>
>>337133883

Because abyss is dark/humanity warped and mutated out of control. It's basically the corrupt version of dark, the bad evil version of what should be.
>>
>>337133994
>Humans gain power
>in a black void
its probably best to light yourself on fire so everyone else can live decent enough for the next 1000 years or whatever. After theres a new group of asholes send out another guy to beat their asses and do it again.
>>
>>337135542
>what is the difference between the abyss and dark
>what is the difference between turning out the lights and absolute nothingness
>>
>>337133883
Abyss is to the Dark as Chaos is to the Fire, a corruption created through desperate acts to renew their respective ages. For Chaos, it was the Witch's desperate attempt to create a new First Flame. For the Abyss, it was disturbing the grave of Manus in a deceptive move by Kaathe to bring about the Age of Dark.
>>
So if all of Gwyn's race just died off and humans ruled, there would be no sunlight (or light of any kind); people would just walk around in pitch black for the rest of eternity?

No wonder Gwyn hated humans.
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 724x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 724x768
I'll go find some more dudes to set on fire.
-Kingseeker Frampt
>>
>>337134407
The Abyss didn't exist when the First Flame was discovered.
The Abyss was created by Manus and is an unnatural creation, it is not an "Age of Dark" although, its power is directly linked to the Dark.
>>
>>337134692
Basically, the Abyss is the Dark's version of the Chaos Flame. Artificial creations that caused horrors to spawn.
>>
File: dark-souls-3-statues-1-640x360.jpg (63 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
dark-souls-3-statues-1-640x360.jpg
63 KB, 640x360
>>337133668
So i told them i was an angel and that they should worship me and they actually did it, the absolute madmen.
>>
>>337136298
Gwyn's race, the Lords, did die off. Fire's existence is not tied to their race, only that their souls were used to kindle it.

It's possible that, in an Age of Dark, humans would leave their physical forms behind and become ethereal in nature. Who knows what that would mean for humanity, but it's a huge change to the world and what it means for humanity.
>>
>>337136960
Oh shit. This thing got ribs?
>>
>>337133883
The "Dark" and the "Abyss" are literally communism.
I hope you guys didn't fell for that meme.
>>
>>337137085
I imagine the statue-makers just invented all of that.
>>
File: 1461451530708.jpg (337 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1461451530708.jpg
337 KB, 1920x1080
>>337136960
>posting pictures for ants
>>
>>337136276
Kaathe created the abyss?
>>
>>337137601
Indirectly. "A serpent", according to the game, instructed the people of Oolacile to exhume Manus, and in the process his pendant was taken from him which caused him to chimp out and make his "humanity go wild", resulting in the Abyss.
Since Kaathe is the serpent aligned with the Dark, or at least the one you meet, we can only assume it was him.
>>
>>337133668
Dark age is just the most practical desu. Lighting yourself on fire for the jew establishment at Anor Londo is laughable.
>>
>>337138313
anor londo has been shit for hundred of years dude, pretty much every cycle of rekindling the whole world goes to shit until some undead restores the status quo via rekindling.
Might as well let the world go dark already
>>
>>337133883
>Oolacile fucks with the abyss and shit happens
>New Londo fucks with the abyss and shit happens
>Drangleic gets cucked by the abyss, shit happens
>Shulva gets cucked the abyss, and shit happens
>Londor is ruled by the Dark, and it's an awful place full of evil people
>The "angels" caused the religious instability in Lothric
>Aldritch is preparing for the "Age of the Deep" by being cannibal supreme.
>GEE GUYS, MAYBE THE AGE OF DARK IS A GOOD THING!?
Truly! The serpents are our greatest allies!
>>
I don't get DaS3's plot.

Wasn't it exactly the same thing as the first one? Just rekindle the flame, but this time the world is "more fucked up"?
>>
>>337133668
Dark Lord as in Lord of Hollows?
>>
Are there any primordial serpent edits of the Jewish merchant maymay?
>>
>>337138626
But it's a fucking cycle
>It all starts with the age of dark
>Suddenly, fire
>Age of dark gone
>Gotta keep kindling the fire or the age of dark is back again
>Don't kindle fire
>Age of dark again
>repeat ad infinitum

It's basically people preventing an apocalypse happening in just their lifetime, once they're dead couldn't manage to care, but it's still gonna happen sooner or later.
>>
>>337137260
Yeah, back in the old days when people drew animals they only heard about the animals looks could vary wildly. The statue maker probably never met a primordial serpent.
>>
>>337139269
Basically, ever since the first person canonically Linked the Fire. the world has been doing this for several "cycles", by committing several atrocities in the name of it. The problem is that Gwyn was a powerful god, and the successors were just mortals, so each cycle became considerably less and less lasting, and shit quickly deteriorated.
This is what I think confuses a lot of people, who think the cycles are centuries apart, while all of the Lords of Cinder in this game seemed to have gone in quick succession.
>>
>>337139269
It's the last flame because you can create and actual way of Dark by Ursurping the Fire and end the cycle, just to create your own cycle.

The Ursurp Ending should also be cannon.
>>
>>337139051
Before creation, must come destruction.
The old has to be torn down before the new can build.

And remember, the ages of Light aren't exactly bundles of fun. You get a period of prosperity and peace followed by everything going to complete shit.

Linking the fire simply keeps that cycle going forever rather than letting the shit times pass normally.
And the only reason things get so bad is because Gwyn extended the Age of fire in the First place.

In addition, the Abyss is NOT the same as the Dark.
The Abyss is like the Chaos Flame, a corrupted creation that perverts the original purpose.

Also, is Londor evil? The two people from it seem pleasant enough, and while the magic and the like is considered evil, it's written from the view of a puritanical society that doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about.
>>
>>337139652
I think the point is that between dark souls 2 and 1 the age lasted a long time. Then after 2 the ages lasted less and less.
>>
>>337139652
>several "cycles"
The several cycles are all the players that play the game, creating millions of alternative realities, based on every little decision they make.

Like you can help Anri defeat Eldritch at her "world", but he is alive at yours.
>>
>>337139683
That's some interesting grammar, mate.
Anyways from yours and >>337139652's post I still don't get it:

It's DaS' plot all over again. Either link the fire or make a dark age.
>>
>>337136960
>>337137335
Some dude obviously meant to obfuscate the serpent's true plans while also mocking them as "deities", which led to angel worshiping heretics. If someone were to actually follow the serpents, either one, Kaathe or Frampt, the serpent's would tell their worshipers to do something about the fire or the dark and why those things are p cool.
>>
File: Rape.jpg (246 KB, 1349x1077) Image search: [Google]
Rape.jpg
246 KB, 1349x1077
Post your fucking face when this webm

http://webm.land/media/vycw.webm
>>
>>337139756
Londor is the pre-abyss New Londo of Dark Souls 3. It's the land of humans, and accordingly seems to be host to people who believe the Age of Dark is the right way to go.

It's only evil if you're looking at it from the perspective of someone like Gwyn who feared the end of the age that gave him immortality and prosperity.
>>
File: giggle.gif (439 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
giggle.gif
439 KB, 640x360
>>337139872
I remember that guy
>>
>>337139051
>Witches fucks with the fire and shit happens
>Gwyn fucks with the fire and shit happens
>Yhorm fucks with the fire and shit happens
>Vendrick and Aldia didn't want to fuck with the fire because shit would happen

See? It goes both ways. The reason this series didn't end after 1 was because both choices are shit.

But Abyss is different from the Dark, its a form of corruption, created by Manus and the Four Kings, its corrupted dark, the dark Darkdiver Grandahl finds solace in isn't like the Abyss, which is why we do not find any grotesque abominations inside the dark chasms.

As the Dragon Chime, an item we get after defeating the Darklurker, says in its decription:

>This chime sat long in the Dark Chasm, but still one senses a sublime purity.

The true dark is peaceful and never changing, its static.
>>
What happened to those snake dudes?
They literally disappeared in DaS 2 when they were dozens of them in the Dark Lord ending of the first game.
>>
>>337139051
age of deep isn't age of dark
>>
I feel like re-playing dark souls 1

anyone else? or have you gone back already?
>>
>>337139806
Yep, recursion and Ages are common themes in mythology and Buddhism. The war against the stone dragons is pretty much the same as Zeus defeating the Titans and taking over.
The plot and tone of Dark Souls 3 takes a lot from with the Nordic Ragnarok and the book of Revelations.
>>
>>337139806
Sorry for Grammar.

No it's three endings, Link fire, End Fire, Take Fire.
>>
>>337140239
>The plot and tone of Dark Souls 3
You mean the plot and tone of Dark Souls 1.
>>
>>337140002
Londor is not the land of humans, it's the land of hollows, the practically worship the condition and curse the living.
>>
>>337140360
What's the difference?
>>
>>337140081
Kaathe seems to be kicking about still, as Yuria refers to him by name in her death dialogue.
>>
>>337140352
>No it's three endings, Link fire, End Fire, Take Fire
Oh I see, neat.
>>
File: 1462817977147.png (15 KB, 609x585) Image search: [Google]
1462817977147.png
15 KB, 609x585
>>337140032
Oy vey! Yes don't let those fools at Anor Londo fool you. The Dark is your greatest ally.
>>
>>337140169
Yeah, I do. I want to make a SL1 darkwraith again.
>>
>>337140169
Dark Souls 3 won't run on my toaster anymore so I decided to do a sorcerer build. Its fun but really fucking easy although certain areas and bosses are difficult.
>>
>>337140375
>hollows aren't human
Technically they're the truest form of human there is.
>>
>>337133668
What exactly is so bad about the Age of Dark?

Is it not technically the age of humanity?

Why does Kaathe want it so bad?

How exactly did everything get so shitty? I know gwyn kindling the flame brought anout the curse of the undead, but that woukd only create undead. Why is everything so fucked and mutated?

Does kindling the flame bring about prosperity to the world? Or does it maintain it's current shittiness longer in order to not get fucked even harder by the Age of Dark?
>>
YOU SORRY FOOL
>>
>>337140489
AotA was suffering as a mage. Everything's magic and elemental defenses are fucking insane.
>>
>>337140617
>What exactly is so bad about the Age of Dark?

everyone turns into beef jerky
>>
>>337140483
>start new playthrough
>let's try magic this time, what could go wrong
>summon grapebro for fun time on high walls
>dakrwraith invades, switches between Rapier and Dark Sword
not fun
>>
File: 1462836107579.jpg (29 KB, 720x538) Image search: [Google]
1462836107579.jpg
29 KB, 720x538
>>337140568
Take your serpent propaganda somewhere else.
>>
>>337140568
No, Oolacile abominations and Manus are the purest form of humanity.

Hollows are lacking of any kind of soul or humanity, they were the original form of both humans and lords before the First Flame was discovered in the Age of Ancients.
>>
>>337140617
I've still only played the first game but I get the impression the serpents existed before even dragons and therefore dwelled in darkness, so perhaps they want to return to an age of dark in which they can prosper and rule.

But I also believe Kaathe and Frampt are working together to play both sides and I'm not sure if that gets contradicted later on.
>>
>>337140690
I didn't have too much trouble because I just hit up the Archives for that crystal spear. I can't manus now though because he's really fucking aggressive and his little ring of dark kills me in one hit.
>>
>>337140787
But Anri is a true beef jerky hollow, and Anri is love.

Even Aldia acknowledged that the fleeting lives of humans in the Age of Fire was an unfortunate side effect of the Dark Soul's incompatibility with the First Flame, and that an Age of Dark would restore their true nature and lifespan.
>>
>scifi reintepretation
>dystopic government occludes secret history of mankind
>selects specific magically inclined individuals to kill reincarnated lords and then slaughters them ritually to continue the age of fire while the world progresses on in ignorance
>>
>>337140617
The undead aren't a result of Gwyn kindling the Flame, they are a result of the Flame fading.

Basically, at the start, everything was grey and boring.
The Flame happened and the Lords and the Humans they ruled over had an age of prosperity.
Human are the Dark Soul manifest in physical bodies.

Then, the First Flame started to die, the curse began affecting Humans and everything else started going wrong.

They tried to create a new Flame, which just made shit worse, so Gwyn, fearing an end to his Age, the Lord's power fading and to Humanity returning to its natural form and having its own age, used his insanely power Lord Soul to kindle the First Flame, extending the age of fire. However, this didn't undo the Curse, at least not for long, so while the Lords retained their powers, things just got worse.
>>
>literally a story about fighting off the heat death of the universe
>implying you shouldn't just go with the dark and accept the inevitable
>>
>>337139872
This guy was a troll, right?
>>
>>337141034
Oolacile abominations and Manus are literally corruptions of humanity. There's nothing pure about them at all.
>>
>>337141046
Dark didn't exist before the Dragons, it's an aspect of the Flame. Rewatch the DS1 intro.
>>
>>337140476
While true dark would mean never ending peace, comfort and stillness, true light would mean never ending prosperity and continuously moving forward.

The world of Dark Souls doesn't have true light either, the age of fire is a deformed state like the abyss, it allows the civilization to have the prospect of being able to progress, but never lets it because the fire will soon fade, so for every step forward, they take one step back, its a never ending loop, a farce that ends up making everyone addicted to it, even through it will never amount to anything, countless eras after the first linking of the flame, and the world is still in the same state as always, people go through suffering to rebuild their civilization, and then it quickly crumbles away.
>>
>>337141316
No, just an idiot.
>>
>>337141270
Then just let the fire die, fuck your edgy Dark Lord ending.
>>
I wonder if the Old Chaos will make another appearance in the DLC. I liked the idea that Izalith fucked up so badly she created an unstoppable, all-consuming fiery chaos.
>>
File: SotFS_Aldia.jpg (2 MB, 1540x898) Image search: [Google]
SotFS_Aldia.jpg
2 MB, 1540x898
>>337140617
>the age of humanity
There is no age of humanity.
"Humanity" as we know it only happens when the flame is alive.
When the flame dies, humans return to their true state, hollows.
In reality, it would be an age of hollows.
Remember
A LIE WILL REMAIN A LIE
>>
>>337141502
>"Humanity" as we know it only happens when the flame is alive.
>When the flame dies, humans return to their true state, hollows
That's not true, the Dark Souls is a counterpart to the Lord Souls that becomes stronger as the flame fades.
>>
>>337141089
I'd worry about the loss of subtle narration, but it could be cool. Last thing I want in my Souls series is heavy handed exposition.
>>
>>337141465
Did you visit the Smouldering Lake? The Chaos Flame is dying, and the demons are dying with it.

>you will never play a demon's souls game where you are a lesser chaos demon trying to rekindle the chaos flame
>>
File: 1462272011202.jpg (45 KB, 389x446) Image search: [Google]
1462272011202.jpg
45 KB, 389x446
>>337139872
>>337141316
Strawman at it's finest

>no way to tell the direction
>only way you can go and haven't been
>fuck up anyway
I thought this was DSP for one second
>>
File: humanity.png (7 KB, 102x120) Image search: [Google]
humanity.png
7 KB, 102x120
So... did these things got explained or what?
>>
>http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Covetous+Silver+Serpent+Ring
>A silver ring depicting a snake that could have been, but never was, a dragon. Fallen foes yield more souls.
The two serpents are both ancient derivatives of dragons, who are trying to trick stupid undead into bringing back the age of dragon since they are still pissed that gwyn and his new fire genocided all their dragon relatives
both frampt and kaathe disagree on the method, kaathe wanted to let the chosen undead not link the fire so the dark would sink the world, and all that would be left would be the grey archtress of ash lake and such, and the dragons could be brought back. This is why areas like Oolacile are sinking down into the ground
Frampt seems smarter and knows 2 things. One, that as the firekeeper in 3 stated, if someone decides to not link the fire someone will come along and link it again eventually, and even in complete dark there will still be embers of the first flame. Second, since the first flame is the creator of all souls, we have been feeding the souls we got from the fire back into it to keep the fire alive, so eventually we just won't have enough souls to keep the fire going, and the first flame will run out permanently. No embers, no rekindling, just perma-dark, and eventually age of dragons. The age of dark is just a transition period as everything sinks back under the ash lake and dissapears
aldrichs age of deep is the only real solution, unless BotC or aldia show up in the DLC. Remember how the londo old people sealed off the abyss? They flooded it. Aldrich dreams of an age of deep "sea" to prevent spreading of dark, an endless ocean to protect the world as water seems to be the only thing dark can't handle
>>
>>337141854
The four armed fluffy pyro caster dudes are also called 'demons' but I'm not sure what the distinction is
>>
>>337141502
No, my friend. Hollows are just what is left after their Humanity leaves and becomes its true form.

Aldia said that Humans took physical form, that is, we were not original physical, but ethereal.

We needed bodies to survive in an Age of Fire. When an Age of Fire starts to fade, Humanity can return to its natural form, leaving physical bodies, now souless, behind.

The physical body, comforted by warmth and life is what Aldia is describing as a lie. It's a lie, because the physical, human form is not what Humanity truly is.

The Age of Humanity is an age that is free of the physical form.
>>
>>337141956
Humanity (the thing) is pieces of the dark souls, which the furtive pygmy divided amongst a group of hollows to create humanity (the race)
In artorias of the abyss the giant humanity sprites found under oolacile and the soul descriptions of manus and artorias cover this
>>
>>337141973
Do dragons have nightvision?
>>
File: annoyed.gif (448 KB, 500x345) Image search: [Google]
annoyed.gif
448 KB, 500x345
>>337139872
his voice in general is annoying me
>>
>>337141854
Yet, the Profaned Flame seem to clearly be the Chaos Flame, what with it being found under Anor Londo and all that.

The Chaos Flame might be fading, the Demons might be dying, but I don't think it can die completely.
>>
>>337140617
Its the age of Humanity not the age of humans, humans as we know them are a product of the Flame , in their "true" form consumed by dark they are mindless beasts.
>>
>no dragon ending
>no locations with even half the atmosphere of ash lake
>no dragon covenant
>dragon head/body is anorexic
why is being an everlasting dragonfag suffering
>>337141854
In 2 they stated that the old chaos was growing on its own, but I guess that's more the fault of From pretending 2 never happened
>>
>>337141956
That's a humanity. Literally, the soul of a human.
It's the soul like in a traditional biblical sense, that is, it's the mind in ethereal form.
Remove it and all that is left is a mindless body, aka, a Hollow.
>>
>>337142317
>why is being an everlasting dragonfag suffering

DLC

there will have to be at least 1 item description in the DLC that explains what happened to the serpents and what exactly happens with you go Lord of Hollows
>>
>>337141254
Humans themselves, as we see them on the games, are a result of the first flame, before it, everything was grey and boring, but peaceful. And then the flame happened and humans had an age of false prosperity, because everything was fated to crumble away and revert back to what it was before, and then Gwyn, who is afraid of the Dark, it has been said several times in item descriptions and by Kaathe (meaning he isn't some super hero, he is a man who would rather die than being in the dark), linked the first flame and perpetuated this cycle of fake prosperity, people would be born after the fire was linked, start their countries, but before they could even do anything, the curse would come back and undo everything they did.

This goes back to my previous post.>>337141392 while the Abyss isn't a true form of the dark, the fire isn't a true age of prosperity either, its a lie, as Aldia said, people get the illusion that they are living, moving forward, progressing, that their next generations will progress even more, but its a lie, the world will be forever taking one step back for each step forward, always staying in place, or you could say its walking in circles, never going anywhere, but still getting the illusion of movement.

Your level of understanding is almost the same as someone who only played Dark Souls 1 and nothing else.
>>
>>337139872

Still hilarious
>>
>>337141502
Nothing is returning to its pre-flame state. It's entropy in action; once the flame came into being, disparity irreversibly became an element of the world. As the fire fades, the dark soul gets stronger which leads to the true nature of humans, rather than their weakened Age of Fire form. We've already seen several times that it's possible to maintain a true, withered "hollow" form and remain sentient; as can be expected from an immortal being, the thing that triggers the mindless ferality in Hollows is a loss of any hope and purpose.
>>
>>337141973
There's never going to be another age of the dragons. It literally states that in the dark souls 1 intro; with the introduction of the first flame there became the light/dark disparity. There was no "dark" in the age of dragons.

Also almost all the dragons are dead.
>>
File: kaathe1.png (58 KB, 1766x134) Image search: [Google]
kaathe1.png
58 KB, 1766x134
>>
>>337141973
How can you fill the abyss, it's endless void, the water would literally do jack shit.
>>
>>337139485

The major hole in this is that the original state of the world is clearly not an Age of Dark.
>>
>>337142541
It worked in new londo
>>
>>337142190
The Profane Flame is entirely separate from the Chaos Flame. The Profane Flame is a fire that only burns humanity.

>that's a clean burning flame, I tell you hwat
>>
File: 1462333358018.jpg (5 KB, 164x152) Image search: [Google]
1462333358018.jpg
5 KB, 164x152
>>337141973
>New Londo was flooded to seal off the Dark
>Aldritch is disenchanted with being a Lord of Cinder and dreams of an age of sea
Ohhhhh shiiiiit nigga
Were the ends going to justify the means and we murded him because legends and he killed out trapboi?
>>
>>337142630
The Deep and Darkness are synonymous

They're the same effect.
>>
>>337142630
Well then just fucking let abyss to take more of the world unless it starts to "devour" the sea, then it gets sealed permanently because the sea will not disappear in thousand of years.

Problem fucking solved.
>>
>>337141052

If you roll right up to Manus the dark ring actually disappears before it reaches him
>>
>>337142541
You don't need to -fill- it I think you just need to coat it.
Like I think it acts like a barrier and they sit like oil and water.
>>
>>337142414
>Your level of understanding is almost the same as someone who only played Dark Souls 1 and nothing else.
No need to be like that, I didn't say anything counter to what you said. You went into more detail, but other than that, what we said was mostly the same.
>>
>>337142776
It seems like the deep (water) would help the dark (abyss) be chilled out again, considering those darkwraiths were relaxing underneath the water for who knows how long without really troubling anyone
t. aldrich
>>
>>337133668
he sacrificed himself for his cause, what have you done for yours? besides dwell in the dark and destroy towns?
>>
>>337141502
So basically the flame is what keeps humans looking normal, but when it goes out we all go hollow?

Does the curse of the undead have anything to do with hollowing?
>>
>>337143052
The flooding just killed everybody so it had nothing to consume or spread to.
>>
>>337139872
Do you have the one where he's complaining the game doesn't explain how to equip weapons and armor?

Because this guy is so fucking retarded.
>>
>>337143190
I mean yeah there were the piles of bloated and drowned corpses and stuff but at least the abyss fan club wasn't meddling elsewhere
Aldirch is just preparing people for the situation by you know, assimilating them into his squishy form.
>>
>>337141973
Aldia already "showed" up in the game, but indirectly.

Prince Lothric learned the true meaning of the first flame and the curse from him, which also made him rebel and refuse to become a Lord of Cinder.

Aldia probably isn't a giant flaming head made of trees anymore, he must have adapted a new form during the possibly huge gap between DS2 and 3, and acted as the head of the scholars of Lothric's Grand Archives, always actively seeking for a new path. BoC was referenced in the game, but is yet to make an appearance, while the CU was the final boss.
>>
>>337141706
No, it's still true
>Age of fire: Humans can die permanently.
>Age of fire starts to fade: Humans turn hollow when they die, and become effectively immortal.
>>
>>337143304
http://webm.land/media/FI7E.webm
>>
>>337141034

"Purest" only in that they represent a massively high concentration of humanity. Humanity attracts humanity, and it's specifically stated to be "wild" humanity that causes defects, ethereal sprites, etc. Hollows don't lack souls, but humanity is a large part of what makes them recognizable and "sane." Between the Oolacile Abyss outbreak and the Fire Keepers (who are stated to contain amounts of humanity described as disgusting, grotesque or disfiguring, and clearly specially chosen) we see that collecting too much humanity can have ill effects, unlike normal souls. Given that humanity seeks humanity, I would assume there's some kind of critical mass where you just get TOO much humanity and it starts to go wild.
>>
File: otra.png (11 KB, 156x152) Image search: [Google]
otra.png
11 KB, 156x152
>>337139872
No. He isn't real. Nope. I refuse.
>>
>>337143168
The flame gave humans the appearance we associate with being human, yes, but it also made them mortal. The dark soul, literally the human soul, is weakened by the prevalence of the Flame. The "hollow" form is the form the dark soul naturally gives to its body when the flame isn't suppressing it. When an "undead", or true undying human, loses hope and motivation, they become hollow.

The "curse of the undead" is just what people called this because they had no idea what was actually happening to them as the flame began to fade. They assumed that their true nature coming to the surface was some terrible unnatural affliction, when really it was just the other side of the coin.
>>
>>337143027
Its just that the world of Dark Souls isn't something as simple as Dark = good, Fire = bad or Fire = good, Dark = bad.

Many have been saying that a middle ground must be found, but because dark and light are polar opposites, stillness and progress, then I don't see how it could work.

The world must either finally progress, without the constant drawback of the curse that holds it in place, or go back to how it started, that era of never-changing stillness and stay like this forever. True dark or True light.
>>
>>337141973

Interesting last point there- however I would say it's mostly a connection made after the fact. The water clearly didn't stop the Dark considering the Darkwraiths/oozes/Four Kings remain unharmed, it stopped the spread of the abyss by slaughtering all the potential humanity sources to gather. Setting the entire area on fire would have the same effect IMO
>>
>>337133668
>trusting a serpent

Does it really have to be spelled out?
>>
>>337143904
But they were stuck down there, so it did stop them temporarily.
>>
>>337141392
Then the purpose of kindling the flames as each lord of cinder had done is to incite that prosperity, which in turn reverts back to shit eventually?

Sorry, I love the lore and I wanna know more, but it would take forever to find every relevant bit of it through each game and piece it together to most likely get it wrong anyway.
>>
>>337140169
Already gone back, aside from hacking to hack in sunlight medals I'm enjoying actually being able to use faith again.
>>
>>337143980

How do we know this? They're just there. If my theory is correct your point wouldn't matter, because it would be impossible to spread without sources of humanity. You may be right, but it doesn't draw from what I was trying to say. They were already fucked by the time you got there, you just needed their soul fragments to feed the Lordvessel.
>>
>>337143596
This concentration of humanity doesn't happen normally, it happened in New Londo because the Dark Wraiths were amassing humanity for themselves, and in Oolacile because they messed with the primeval human, Manus.
>>
>>337137260
>>337139614
Yeah so... he's got a big round head, with a big crooked nose, right? don't forget, he's got a mustache which look like your mother's tits
he's also got this massive shit eating grin and a giraffe's neck

he also has the body of a hollow, no arms, wings and a magnificent cape
>>
>>337143706
>They assumed that their true nature coming to the surface was some terrible unnatural affliction, when really it was just the other side of the coin.

But wasn't it proven in Dark Souls 3 that hollowing isn't a natural occurrence and instead something intentionally inflicted upon people through sorcery? It's basically used as a trick. "Oh no, you're cursed, so you should do stuff for me with what little time you have left."
>>
>>337144268

Exactly. It seems like a lot of people mistake those cases for being natural iterations of Dark/Humanity when I think it's a little of both- humanity going wild is helped along by concentration of humanity, which can quickly spiral considering large concentrations of humanity seek each other out (see the Chasm of the Abyss for an example of this shit getting entirely out of a hand). That said, those are not truly "age of dark" test cases in my opinion, because the nature of Humanity is linked to the flame.
>>
>>337141973
>dark souls based entirely on exploring the depths of a now flooded world
>enemies are deep sea horror tier

Shit would be pretty cool
>>
>>337143706
>terrible unnatural affliction, when really it was just the other side of the coin
it doesn't help that they look like beef jerky and go insane
>>
>>337144519
no, I believe it is assumed that the BoTC and aldia eventually found a way to cure the "curse."
>>
>>337143765
Dark isnt stillness. The age of ancients is the age of stillness, it never changes and nothing dies. Dark is merely the other side of the pendulum to fire. You can't cast light without making a shadow.
>>
>>337144027
The cyclic nature of the age of fire, introduced by ds2 and perpetuated by ds3, which shows us many examples of people who linked the flame.

And the fact that the world stills looks the same and never progressed, even through the age of fire is meant to represent an age of prosperity is enough to tell us that the age of fire is but an illusion of prosperity, like taking a step forward and then one back, or walking in circles.

If there was a way to completely remove the threat of the undead curse, then the age of fire would truly mean prosperity,
>>
File: ludleth02.jpg (351 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
ludleth02.jpg
351 KB, 1600x900
On another matter.

There's something very wrong with Ludleth. He acts all lordly and how he Linked the Flame to it's own volition. But kill him and something strange happens. It's like he has two personalities.
>>
>>337133994
>>337135542
>>337136059
Pretty sure the Abyss is the Dark. That is literally the Dark Lord ending. You go full Manus. It's never specified completely though, so we won't actually know what happens after the Dark Lord credits roll.
>>
File: ugh.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
ugh.gif
3 MB, 480x270
>>337139872
>>
>>337144162
The city was totally intact and the darkwraiths could've just taken the stairs out of the water or something unless the water did more than just fill it up
>>
So why is DS3 "the end"? Can the flame not go on even though you choose to link it? How do our efforts affect the world?
>>
>>337144779
>Go insane

Only because of the curse. That's not part of the natural progression
>>
File: 1339460451081.jpg (45 KB, 164x236) Image search: [Google]
1339460451081.jpg
45 KB, 164x236
>>337139872

Isn't that francis's voice? as in, the character boogie plays?
>>
>>337140617
>Is it not technically the age of humanity?

Because "humans" in dark souls are not true humans but pygmys.

Kaathe is twisting the facts and telling you he wants the age of hollows as you see in 3 if you go with Yuria questline
>>
>>337144848
But that idea that Dark implies stillness, peace and comfort was brought by the two NPCs in Dark Souls 2, you know the two that are not evil or crazy. So they must have been telling the truth.
>>
File: 042413_1703_TheJewishQu2.png (454 KB, 600x461) Image search: [Google]
042413_1703_TheJewishQu2.png
454 KB, 600x461
Has anyone made an edit of this that is a primordial serpent stepping on two guys with "link the fire" and "bring on the age of dark" instread of vote democrat/republican?
>>
Why the fuck is there no stone merchant? Farming gems is cancerous, especially raw.
>>
>>337145107
You, an unkindled, cna link the flame, but you're "unfit to be cinder" and faile dto link the flame in the past in some capacity too
Basically, the fuel isn't enough to keep the fire going and that's also why the several lords of cinder are needed to link the flame
It's basically a heat death scenario
>>
File: 1452816131152.jpg (32 KB, 491x358) Image search: [Google]
1452816131152.jpg
32 KB, 491x358
>>337139872
He sounds like an autistic Donald Duck
>>
>>337145107

There's hints that the 'Age of Sea' will succeed the age of fire.

Of course that could be a reference to the Bloodborne DLC where the sea/deep features.
>>
>>337145301
>needing to farm infusion gems
>>
>>337143765
I never said that it was clear cut, only that Linking the Flame resulted in a lot of the problems of the Dark Souls world.

>>337143931
The problem is, there are two (actually more, but two we speak to) that give opposing accounts.

Remember, Kaathe is the super secret snake, and what he says seems to tally more with other bits of the Lore than what Frampt says.
>>
>>337139872
I actually can't fathom why anyone would think this is funny. He's a fucking idiot and his voice is annoying.
He's wrong. He's very wrong and he keeps repeating himself. It's almost like he's convinced himself he's right but also knows he is stupid.

It's not sad, but I just can't laugh at him while watching the video. It just makes me cringe.
>>
The only thing I don't get is where unkindle come from exactly.
So you are supposed to be a human that died a normal death and now revived to rekindle the age of fire, but why exactly is that?
>>
File: Eingyi.png (152 KB, 312x267) Image search: [Google]
Eingyi.png
152 KB, 312x267
The Fair Lady! What have you done, what have you done!
>>
>>337144879
I think he's a fraud.
There was an interesting theory about it, but i don't remember the details.
>>
>>337144834
Not necessarily
Aldia technically isn't affected by the curse, but he's now a burning tree monster
The BoTC can still die, but now they are completely immune to hollowing thanks only to the crown
>>
>>337144879

I've a strong suspicion that Ludleth will feature in the DLC. He's the Aldia/Astorias of DS3
>>
>>337144879
Seems kind of like PTSD. He's proud of the things he did, but doesn't like remembering them too vividly, because the actual experience sucked balls.
>>
>>337145480
He sounds like a liberal
>>
>>337145301
just back up your save before infusing your weapons, m8
you can try them all out without wasting a gem and then you can finally go with the one you decided
fuck farming, I did enough of that for ears
>>
File: 1450877263594.png (486 KB, 526x700) Image search: [Google]
1450877263594.png
486 KB, 526x700
Why does the eclipse in DaS3 look like a dark sign, and then turn white at the end

Why is there no humanity in this game or undeads
>>
>>337145730
Maybe all the humanity burned up?
>>
>>337133668
This guy is literally inevitable Dark Souls 3 DLC.
>>
>>337145545
>kill the fair lady
>oh shit the egg dude gonna fuck me up with all the poison pyromancy
>he just wiggle towards you

I was waiting for him to burn my ass with pyromancy
>>
>>337145730
there is humanity, look at an ember in your inventory and view the description to see the large version
>>
>>337145532
I think it's been said that Unkindled are Undead who tried to link the Flame, but instead of succeeding, we burned to ash, only to awaken much later to return the souls of those who had succeeded.

We're basically failed Lords of Cinder who've been brought back to life to have another go.
>>
>>337145730
as far as I understand
the eclipse is another reference to berserk, it also does look like the dark sign

there is humanity, but apparently ashen undead are devoid of humanity from the start and are incapable of achieving humanity
hollows are devoid of humanity and souls

I might be very wrong, though

>>337145832
I really hope so. I want him back.
>>
>>337145832
and this will be his boss music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdByf0lP-qM

>Kaathe, The Angelic Serpent
>>
File: 1367977691020-640x316.jpg (78 KB, 640x316) Image search: [Google]
1367977691020-640x316.jpg
78 KB, 640x316
>>337144879
>>
>>337139872
Anyone know this guys name? He sounds like a retarded slowbeef.
>>
>>337135542
This. I don't know why people think there's any virtue/courage to be had in letting the fire fade. I guess it's like Satan's idea in Paradise Lost: "Here at least we shall be free; the Almighty hath not built here for his envy, will not drive us hence: here we may reign secure, and in my choice to reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."
>>
>>337138053
But what if Frampt made them do it? That way, when Manus fucked everything up, he could use it as an excuse to hold off the Age of Dark, by pointing (metaphorically) and saying "Look, here's what Dark does! Can't let that happen!"
>>
File: tw2.jpg (77 KB, 640x316) Image search: [Google]
tw2.jpg
77 KB, 640x316
>>337146170
gah I left the font search image
>>
>>337144879
>there's something very wrong with the guy called "the soulfeeder"
holy shit, you might be onto something
>>
>>337139872
Anyone have the whole video? I remember him talking about having to get a trainer to kill the Asylum demon and how impossible it was otherwise.
>>
>>337145730
The sun looks like a darksign, and in the lord of hollows ending it the border changes from firey orange to white, similar to a humanity outline, after you usurp the flame
The sun is an illusion fueled by the fire
>>
>>337146323
>the guy called "the soulfeeder"
So, every DS protagonist?
>>
>>337145672
>Ludleth turns out to be the biggest badass in the Souls universe
The shitstorm will be glorious.
>>
>>337137335
Holy shit he has the darksign on his chest.
What does this mean?
>>
I don't know if I want to buy the DLC. I bought the Dark Souls II season pass and that was shit.. I mean, the whole game was shit, so that was my fault. DLC was arguably better than the base game, but I didn't even finish the final DLC, I think I got to the final boss, died once, took a break and never picked it up again because other games and boredom

I liked dark souls III, so I don't know. Fuck.
>>
File: asuka1.png (330 KB, 475x384) Image search: [Google]
asuka1.png
330 KB, 475x384
>>337139872
>>
>>337146492
every DS protagonist is also a terrible person. the world is always shit when the age of fire keeps getting extended, but they keep doing it. humans are a cancer.
>>
age of SNAKES

SNAKES SNAKES SNAKES

OOOH ITS A SNAKE
>>
File: 1453703527230.png (37 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
1453703527230.png
37 KB, 321x322
>>337146323

Ludleth isn't the soulfeeder.

He is a master of creation because he's from Courland and uses transposing kilns all the time.

He has the soul of the Soulfeeder which he used to create the Shrine Handmaiden.

She literally talks about supping on death and 90% of what she says involves bringing her souls or ash for more potential souls.

Shes an undead Soulfeeder grandma.
>>
>>337146323
The skull ring was transposed from the soulfeeder through the same way he makes things from boss souls
>>
>>337146653
sucks for you
>>
>>337146648
well, the serpents do represent humanity, or at least the dark, so they might possibly be undead. if not just eternal like the dragons
>>
>>337146653
You're not obligated to buy it, what is the problem?

Wait for it to be released and figure out then if you're still interested. We're not getting it for a long time.
>>
>>337146082
The DLC themes are badass. Did not know they were already recorded and ripped.
>>
>>337144879
He's sleeping.
He's having a nightmare about when he first linked the fire, and he's remembering the agonizing burning he experienced as a result. He's back to normal once he wakes up.
>>
>>337146773
Then how is she Sirris' grandma?
>>
>>337146492
It's is possible to call protags a soulfeeder but, Ludleth is THE soulsfeeder.

>>337146773
According to the description of Skull Ring says The Soulfeeder has a burned corpse, though.

>>337146780
Skull Ring:
>One of Courland's transposed wonders. Derived from the soul of A Soulfeeder
>THE Soulfeeder was a beast...even after its accursed corpse was burned, it is said that the pungent stench of souls left the air permanently stained.
>>
>>337146648
I like to think he just found some random hollow and wore him like a puppet to not alarm the local populace in some way
>>
>>337147229

Because she can still bear children and Hodrick is absolutely fucken nuts.

He'd bang a Soulfeeder. Maybe thats why he's crazy to begin with.

>>337147473
When it was originally killed it was burned. Ludleth had the soul at that point and created the Undead Shrinemaiden who is captive to the Flame just like the firekeeper and you.
>>
>>337147473
He used the soul of the soulfeeder to make the ring
I like the idea but it doesn't work because it's transposed the same way boss weapons are
>>
>>337147647

Only if you assume the soul is entirely used up for one creation.

Which could be true. I always took it as you are giving the soul to whoever makes the item and they derive something out of it, not that its used entirely.
>>
>>337145092

What exactly do you think it's doing? Why don't they start trying to leave when you drain the water then? The darkwraiths DO leave New Londo in Dark Souls, but only unseen as servants of Kaathe gathering humanity (which I assume was fed to the abyss under New Londo). The issue is that by massacring the sources of humanity, they sort of scuppered the whole New Londo Abyss plan in its tracks by making it impossible to gather the necessary amount of humanity from the city inhabitants, which is what you see in the more successful Oolacile incursion. Now darkwraiths just offer humanity to Kaathe, and the whole thing seems to just serve to draw new potential champions to Kaathe.
>>
>>337147896
The only darkwraith outside of new londo is kirk who deserted it for the chaos covenant, right?
and a few other dark spirits probably using cracked orbs they scrounged up (leeroy, mildred)
>>
File: ludleth03.jpg (352 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
ludleth03.jpg
352 KB, 1600x900
>>337147213
It does seems pretty clear he's remembering the burning sensation of the Flame.
But by his tone and voice, it doesn't looks like the story he sells, about throwing himself on the Flame to change the view foresawed by the Firekeepers eyes of a dark world, holds any truth. It just doesn't sound like the voice of someone who sacrified himself, and more like of someone who was sacrificed.
>>
>>337143706
I thought hollowing was a curse inflicted by Gwyn so that we would give up our humanity willingly to the first flame through bonfires, in order to stave off the effects of hollowing.
>>
>>337148170
>more like of someone who was sacrificed.
So just like Aldritch and the Prince(s).
>>
>>337148291
And yet Ludleth is the only one sitting on his throne, selling tales of his valor while having some strange PTSD and still transposing souls and helping you. There's clearly some story a little more complex behind him than meets the eyes. And it doesn't seem to be the one he sells to you.
>>
>>337144879
>He acts all lordly and how he Linked the Flame to it's own volition.

I think he's talking shit.

I think his legs were sliced off and he was made to do it.
>>
>>337148987
I'm still not sure where this sleeping dialogue comes from. Is it like Gerham's rare dream stuff?

Because if it is, I've missed it. As I only talk to him when I get boss souls, or whenever I get all the Cinders.
>>
>>337148987

My guess is that Ludleth was probably tricked or at least involved in the 'betrayal' of the flame and allowed the world to go dark.

Maybe he was the one who chained Gundyr down so he couldn't get there in time and then later gave him the unbreakable Halberd so that he could still serve a purpose by becoming another servant.

He regretted what he did and said he 'tried keep them from the firekeeper as best he could' so I think he realized his mistake when they tore her apart whoever they were.

He willed himself Lord of Cinder and now is willing to burn himself for eternity to keep it lit and wants forgiveness for his initial betrayal.

Thats my speculation.
>>
>>337149359
You have to kill him, then he comes back dreaming.
>>
File: Pq4nTeLnLW-6.png (15 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
Pq4nTeLnLW-6.png
15 KB, 300x250
>badass DLC battle with winged jewsrpent.
I dunno, that sounds interesting, but their design just laughable. It`s hard to imagine something epic and badass with boss, who is literally whiskered worm in fancy dress with angelic wings.
>>
>>337149685
From will just make a ember'd version of 4Kings or Not Abyss Watchers Artoris be their proxy.
>>
chaos and abyss represent going against the natural order of things, both humans and gods are not free of its consquences hence they both have their own version
>>
>>337133883
greedy humans fucking everything every single time.
>>
>>337149685
I would love it. The serpents are my favorite characters of the whole series, exactly because they're so bizarre. It has the potential to be a very unique fight.

I don't believe they're gonna be bosses though. Best case scenario one of them appears as NPC.
>>
>>337149468
Attoning for his sins...i like it.
Really hope Ludleth becomes DLC material.
Snakes, Londor and Ludleth should be top priority.
>>
>>337149685
I always found them to be unnerving as fuck, with those clattering teeth always grinning. First seeing Kaathe in the silent abyss was horrifying.
>>
>>337149805
So, three sisters of Sable Church in Londor?
>>
>>337134692
>>337134407
>>337136764
citation needed
>>
>>337150783
Fair point actually.

>>337150570
Seems like its only 2 DLC, one of which isn't coming out till 2017. The fuck From?
>>
>>337150928
One for time travel, we see Untended Graves, Gertrude, Ludleth, etc.
Other we dwelve into Londor, the Sable Church and the Snakes.
Can still be done. Time will tell.
>>
>>337140002
New Londo is a city underground
Lothric is a civilization built even higher than Anor Londo. You know, the place we go to in both I and III.
>>
>>337151725
None of the spatial relations in 3 make any sense. It's flat out said by several characters that lands are being pulled to Lothric.

>>337151704
The fact the DLC release is so far makes me hope the DLC will be more substantial than the Crowns DLC, and more like Old Hunters, obviously longer though.
>>
>>337133668
>single most important NPC to the game's story
>make it so more than 90% of the players will miss it

Say whatever you will about Dark Souls, but sometimes they took the ambiguous story meme too far.
>>
>>337152721
he's supposed to be met on replays. you getting tricked by Frampt and feeding yourself to the flame without even understanding what is happening is part of the point.
>>
>>337151725
I think he was speaking figuratively m8

Like Londor is equivalent to new londo, not literally the same
>>
>>337153173
he doesnt even appear if you talk to frampt once so thats a little stupid.
>>
>>337153370
he doesn't appear if you place the lordvessel with frampt
>>
>>337153173
Never really thought of Frampt as tricking me, lie by omission, but Kaathe does the same thing.
>>
>>337153173
If CU refused to link the fire... what will happen? Something like in DaS3?
>>
>>337153550

A half truth is a whole lie
>>
>>337153550
They're both telling half-truths and using CU for their own goals. It's what makes the endings so ambiguous and the serpents so mysterious.
Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.