[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sony Wins Again
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 17
File: NothingStopsTheSonyPony.png (1003 KB, 1080x1844) Image search: [Google]
NothingStopsTheSonyPony.png
1003 KB, 1080x1844
We did it again Sonybros :^)

>After putting in 15 hours of research and testing—in addition to hundreds of hours gaming on controllers in years past—and enlisting the help of an experienced panel of gamers, we found that the Sony DualShock 4 Wireless Controller (yes, the one that comes with the PlayStation 4) is the best gaming controller to use with your computer. In fact, we concluded that all the best PC controllers are console controllers. But a gaming controller is a highly personal object, and your preferences may differ based on your hand size, gaming style, and operating system. If you already own a controller that you love, you probably don’t need to buy a new one.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-pc-gaming-controller/
>>
>>337128958
>But a gaming controller is a highly personal object, and your preferences may differ based on your hand size, gaming style, and operating system. If you already own a controller that you love, you probably don’t need to buy a new one.
Well at least they're expecting the backlash from countless pissed off fanboys. That or they're covering their asses and haven't tested shit and just went with whomever offered them the best kickback.
>>
Oh man, I better read this article written by a woman so I know what to think on fucking gamepads
>>
File: Guess who did not read.gif (793 KB, 190x119) Image search: [Google]
Guess who did not read.gif
793 KB, 190x119
>>337128958
Ur dum xbone 4lvf
>>
File: thumbsticks.png (234 KB, 800x246) Image search: [Google]
thumbsticks.png
234 KB, 800x246
>>
>>337129643
Bullshit
The 360 placement makes claw gripping impossible
>>
>>337128958
Sorry this rustles you but it's a pretty fair review. The only real downside of the DS4 is the lightbar being a waste, but that can be messed with in software now. The battery life could be better too, but since this review is specifically about something to use with your PC you've got USB right there anyway so unlike on a couch 8-10 hours is good enough. It's light, comfy, uses standard BT, and has good support though. It's also reasonably priced. Amongst all the ones I have, I'd definitely pick the DS4 as the GENERIC top choice for a random person, as in it'd be good more often then not and workable in general.

But obviously, if someone is willing to spend hundreds and get specific controllers for specific genres they can do a lot better. A DS4 (or any other generic) cannot possibly match a good fight stick and a HOTAS for fighters and sims respectively for example. For FPS why leave kb+m? Etc. But this is a publication aimed mostly at normalfags. Obviously if you know enough to question it, you know enough to pick your own.

>>337129153
That's not CYA that's acknowledging reality. Symmetrical vs asymmetrical sticks for example is a classic religious war boiling down mostly to taste (with "taste" including the types of games someone likes since they that's taste too).
>>
File: 1364067190169.jpg (152 KB, 656x1000) Image search: [Google]
1364067190169.jpg
152 KB, 656x1000
>>337130145
>publication aimed mostly at normalfags
This is something autists on /v/ never get. If you know enough to nitpick about specifics you don't need generalized reviews in the first place, and you're a retard for bothering with it. Or such a faggot you just like to hunt for stuff to get triggered by so you can shitpost on /v/. Oh right that's like 2/3 of the posts here. HEY /v/ CHECK OUT THIS TWEETER WHERE SOMEONE DUMB SAID SOMETHING DUMB LET'S ALL BE OUTRAGED XD
>>
File: best controller.jpg (56 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
best controller.jpg
56 KB, 700x394
>>
>>337130581
DELETE THIS
>>
>>337128958
>>337130145
Got a pair of 3's for my PC, are 4's drastically better than 3's? Not sure how i feel about the stick design vs the 2/3 style
>>
>. I had to unlearn decades of sense memory and teach my hands to embrace a touch surface that walked a blurred line between mouse, trackball, thumbstick and button.

Yea nah. The SC is the best controller for PC gaming, Seriously fuck this article.
>>
DS3 > X360
Xbone > DS4
the xbone controller is almost perfection. It just feels so good to use.
>>
>>337129731
Except it literally doesn't.

t. Faggot who played Dank Souls on 360 using the claw
>>
>>337129643
The PS4 controller alleviates this issue somewhat by having the thumbsticks be farther apart and having the grip actually large enough to fill your palm. It's leagues better than the PS3 controller.
>>
>>337129731
>claw gripping at all
kys
>>
>>337128958

>research and testing

doing what? testing a piece of hardware?

the modern video games industry is fucking retarded, they make it looks like is in the same level of real research of more important than complex hardware
>>
File: Aa8vjFA.jpg (96 KB, 912x579) Image search: [Google]
Aa8vjFA.jpg
96 KB, 912x579
>>
File: dual-shock-4-crystal-429797.1.jpg (123 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
dual-shock-4-crystal-429797.1.jpg
123 KB, 1500x1500
>>
>>337129643
This is literally only a problem if you have baby hands.
>>
>>337132365
It's not even research.

>Muh small hand size
>Muh personal experience
>Muh past experiences made it hard for me to adapt
>So I don't like it

That isn't research, it's an opinion piece.
>>
>>
File: dual-shock-4-silver-429791.1.jpg (115 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
dual-shock-4-silver-429791.1.jpg
115 KB, 1500x1500
>>
>>337128958

This is objectively true. Anyone who elects to use an inferior device like the Xbox 360 or worse even the Xbox One controller is a shitlord with terrible tastes.

Dualshock 4:

>Doesn't need proprietary wireless adapter
>Comes with rechargeable battery natively
>Has touchpad for bonus mouse control on PC
>Multiple more button mappings using the touchpad over Xinput controllers
>Native driver is DirectInput which supports old games while Xinput only controller will not work right
>Has tons of 3rd party driver support that lets you configure the thing anyway you choose
>Thumbsticks are the tightest and most accurate of all controllers ever
>Symmetry is good for the brain
>Non-shit d-pad
>Non-shit bumpers
>Doesn't require a fucking $150 elite variant to correct a few simple bullshit issues
>>
>>337128958
So what you're saying is that I should keep playing video games on my PC. Okay
>>
>>337129731
>claw grip
fucking kill yourself
>>
>Sony Dpads
Literally disgusting, which controller has a dpad similar to a snes yet having all the buttons and analog sticks I can expect?
>>
ok guys, I want a new gamepad my F710 died on me after 3 years

should I buy a Xbox360 wireless or a DS4?

the difference in price is 10 dollars (XBOX360 is cheaper) but also I have to buy a bluetooth receiver for my PC

what should I choose?
>>
File: DOG_controller_MED.jpg (343 KB, 2000x1434) Image search: [Google]
DOG_controller_MED.jpg
343 KB, 2000x1434
>no one even mentioning this
>>
>>337132873
Wiiu Pro Controller.
>>
>>337132982
this thing is hot garbage and you didnt even post the actual image of the controller
>>
>>337132982
Because it's not a controller replacement, it's a M&K replacement. I'm surprised people don't get this.
>>
>>337131140
xbox is garbage, in das3 you literally have to use triggers instead of the default mapping of bumpers to avoid crab clawed
>>
>>337130672

First off, if you aren't a small handed little girly man, 4 is infinitely more comfortable than 3. It just fills my hands nicely without making me feel like I'm scrunching my fingers just to hold the damn thing.

Second, the thumbsticks on all Dualshocks prior to 4 were literal garbage. Convex caps is the worst design of all time. You have far more grip with the lips on the rim of the DS4 thumbsticks, but there is still a slight convex shape to it. It's still night and day difference.

Lastly the triggers are massively improved. Whoever designed the earlier DS triggers was probably the same moron that designed the sticks. It's slipper and angles down and away from your grip, making it difficult to keep centered on the trigger. They fixed this problem by making the triggers have a lip up and concave shape, so your finger stays gripped perfectly in the center.

The ONLY downside to the Dualshock 4 is battery life. But when you last 8 - 10 hours, needing anything more is bad for your health. Plug the thing in when you're done at the end of the day just like a smartphone and literally the battery "issue" is non-existent.

Xbots and nintendrones can't handle how good the controller is and look for any flaw to exacerbate but since the thumbstick peeling issue has been resolved a year into production, the only thing they have left is the battery life problem. And if you're gaming for more than 8 hours a day, you have bigger problems.
>>
>>337132982
I have it. Terrible for first person view games. Third person works a lot better for it though
>>
>>337133121
Exactly, but it is also way better than the controllers they listed as best controller.
>>
>>337132681
>Has touchpad for bonus mouse control on PC
Touchpads are shit, they would only have gotten a bonus if they had included a PC nipple instead.
>>
>>337132494
I've got apehoop hands and it still bothers me. It's not even a matter of reach, it's just flat out uncomfortable compared to the Xbone controller.
>>
>>337128958
>gaming on a wireless
shiggy diggy
>>
>>337130672
I use a 3 too, the 4 is pretty good but there are trigger attachments you can buy for the 3 to make them feel more stable and precise.
>>
>>337133205

>Terrible for first person view games.

It's great for first person games though. You can't blame the controller for you being to retarded to set up controls that work for you.
>>
>wireless

This generation really is fucking cancer.
>>
>>337128958
>best
>with all those gimmicks
>>
>>337133235
i use it for hotkeys, super handy
>>
>>337133672
Zarya better be the boss of that gym.
>>
>>337128958
I agree, it's the controller I use

I dont even own a PS4 but the DS4 is pretty great
>>
File: trashed.png (477 KB, 798x1007) Image search: [Google]
trashed.png
477 KB, 798x1007
>>337128958
anything that involves thumbsticks cannot be the best controller since thumbsticks are an awful abomination made due to the necessity for analog inputs on a controller. they're a stupid compromise that still exists simply because people got used to them
>>
>>337130581
Also fucking squeaky triggers, fucking hate that, right out the box too.
>>
>>337134918
I love KB+M but platformers, dark souls, and racers fucking fuck on them
>>
>>337135046
I don't like keyboards really.
Actually, the best input method is flight stick and mouse. Unless it's a 2D platformer
>>
Here's my setup:
>Wii Classic controller for emulation
>GameCube controller for most 3D games
>360 controller if you need separate shoulder buttons and stick clicks
>Mouse & keyboard for everything else

I should probably buy one of those Hori SNES style GameCube controllers so I can ditch the Wii adapter.
>>
File: 20160418_223850.jpg (846 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160418_223850.jpg
846 KB, 2048x1152
>>337135184
>flight stick
what kind do you have?

I have pic related

it's a hori RAP V. Haybusa

>OBS-MX cherry blue switches
>Octogon plate
>1MM oversized actuator
>Sanwa button casing
>>
>>337135383
>>337135184
just realized I read it wrong

exit is this way I think
>>
>>337133121

no it's not, it's clearly supposed to do well for both.
>>
>>337135594
I actually like joysticks too. Joysticks are great actually.
I hate thumbsticks though. You can't get any accuracy with them. Seriously. You myswell have a dpad in 90% of cases.
>>
File: 1462584536598.jpg (35 KB, 736x283) Image search: [Google]
1462584536598.jpg
35 KB, 736x283
>>337128958
Get on my level you plebs
>>
>How we tested
>No mention of price being a factor
>Xbone Elite not clearly better
???
>>
>>337128958
>PC gaming
>with a fucking controller
I didn't even have to go to the link or open the thumbnail to know that you and the writer of this article are completely pants-on-head retarded
>>
>>337128958
What's the main differences between the 3 and 4? Also wasn't there some issue with the 4's analog sticks wearing out fast or something?
>>
>>337128958
You did nothing you faggot.
>>337129643
I'm used to DualShock and used only this combination for a really long time. Other way around feels weird to me.
>>
I've owned an Xbox, Xbox 360, PS1, PS2, and PS3, and in my opinion the 360 controller was the best out of all of them.
>>
>>337133205
But first person and third person games are literally the same thing, ultimately, when it comes to controls. They just feel different because of the pivot point, but when you're actually aiming you're still only focusing on a crosshair.
>>
>>337128958

Congratulations on feeding that corporate culture and feeling important somehow I guess. Seems like a who fucking cares sort of matter to me.
>>
>>337136128
The DS4 doesn't have mushy face buttons and a better dpad (although still bad compared to Nintendo's + dpad and the XBone's microswitchy goodness).
>>
File: A.jpg (856 KB, 2400x1600) Image search: [Google]
A.jpg
856 KB, 2400x1600
I bought a dualshock 4 last year and I've been enjoying using it. Taken over as my default controller since I really like the blue color. I still love my 360 controller though.

I don't have a preference between the two designs since using the ds4, but before I hated the other dualshocks.
>>
File: 1396401739983.jpg (10 KB, 275x200) Image search: [Google]
1396401739983.jpg
10 KB, 275x200
>>337133143
I almost completely agree with you, except on battery life. No, of course you shouldn't be gaming for 10 hours straight, and in particular since we're talking PC in this discussion plugging it in is easy anyway. But all else being equal it's still convenient not to have to plug it in as often, and sense lithium batteries do lose some capacity over time an extra buffer means that 4-5 years down the line it'll still be decent.

It's not the be-all end-all, the main issue in the DS4 really is that it's worse then it should be due to the lightbar. The LEDs behind it actually turned out to be really high power behind a heavy diffuser, people who actually opened the thing up and physically disconnected them found it could easily add another couple of hours, which is not nothing given that the lightbar is worthless in general and particularly on the PC (in fact on the PC it can be a flat-out negative since it can reflect on the screen at night from up close).

As gimmicks go I consider the lightbar a very harmless one, it only adds a few cents to the cost and involves no major design compromises. It's a good general controller. But if they offered an updated model that dumped it or even that just had a tiny little dip switch to shut it down in hardware I'd buy it in a second.
>>
>friend has a DS4
>constantly fails to work due to retarded buggy third party drivers
>requires the occasional system restart
Meanwhile, I just plug in my 360 pad and it works perfectly with anything I want.

If I was going to get a new pad, it'd be the Xbone one, simply because it would just fucking work. You could name a dozen "improvements" to the DS4, and I still wouldn't give a fuck, because I remember the time before standardised button layouts on Windows and having to assign controller buttons, and I don't want any fucking part of that mess.
>>
>>337137487
Tell him to use SCPToolkit

I had problems with my ds4 too until I started using that, and now it's plug and play every time.
>>
>>337133828

bluetooth is mostly the best protocol/technology for wireless devices

stop being a contrarian faggot
>>
>>337128958
I have a ps4. I love the ps4 controller, its a huge upgrade from the ds3 but it still inferior to the xbox one controller especially for pc. With native drivers, and wireless support the 360 and xb1 controller are just the better choice for pc. Most ports on pc always have the scheme layout as the xbox layout and i dont even think the ds4 can rumble on pc. Also the ds4 triggers are no where near as good as xxbox i fond myself always hitting r2 for no apparent reason.
>>
>>337137487
I have literally never had a single problem. Have him update his drivers or switch to good ones if he's using some old random crap.

>>337137657
That or he's a retarded luddite operating off of tech assumptions from over a decade ago. It's true that version one of BT had issues, and of course there have been all sorts of random ass proprietary radio standards in the past that were shit, but particularly after BT version 4 everything has been ironed out including latency. Tech gets better, people who just repeat obsolete shit from forever ago should GTFO.
>>
>>337137487
I used xinput wrapper for DS3 and when I bought a DS4 used DS4Windows, Shit just works
>>
>>337129643
I have small hands and have been comfortable with the PS controller since the 90's
>>
>>337129643
I really don't care about where the left stick goes, doesn't really matter either way. THE RIGHT stick absolutely MUST go UNDERNEATH the buttons. I'm having a hard time enjoying the Wii U Pro controller for this very reason.
>>
>>337128958
playstation controllers will never EVER be better than xbone controllers. Yeah, they work fine if you have no other option, but xbone controllers are infinitely superior.
>>
>>337129731
claw gripping was a shitty thing you had to do to accommodate shitty control schemes. Use a better controller, and you won't need to use it at all.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.