[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did the "next gen" ever actually happen?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: xbox-one-vs-ps4.jpg (153 KB, 1919x715) Image search: [Google]
xbox-one-vs-ps4.jpg
153 KB, 1919x715
Each generation of vidya produced not only better graphics, but more gameplay possibilities and depth as well.
But this current generation seems to just be about graphics. What new innovations in gameplay have occurred?

>inb4 muh VR peripherals and amiibos

I'm talking about just what can be played with the basic hardware.

>inb4 console war / pc mustards

I'm not seeing any revolutionary upgrade in gameplay on any system.

Can anyone point to some games that would be impossible to run on previous hardware, graphics aside?

I'd love to be proven wrong here.
>>
woah thats so deep xD
>>
Nope
>barely better grafix that still has performance issues
>no enhanced physics or mirrion troobs

If anything it's just a remaster of the last generation
>>
>>337112708
No you're completely right. It seems the designers of these games and systems are developing solely graphics and just copy and pasting the actual gameplay itself.
>>
the 360 was a step back from the og xbox

>barley any games supporting community hosted dedicated servers
>>
Not really. There's way too many remasters of games from last gen than there should be.
>>
Since faggots want art instead of actual gameplay were stuck with half asked games that sometimes look good
>>
File: wow.jpg (36 KB, 977x302) Image search: [Google]
wow.jpg
36 KB, 977x302
>>337113116
>>
File: 1338847362906.gif (136 KB, 500x279) Image search: [Google]
1338847362906.gif
136 KB, 500x279
>>337112708
>Did the "next gen" ever actually happen?
>still on 720p
>still at 30FPS rate cap
>shitty "improvements" on gamepad nobody fucking asked for
No - it's just gimmicks and lies.
>>
The division, hitman and rainbow six do have some unique things to them that would probably only work this gen.
>>
>>337112708
Fuck off nintencuck.
>>
I think devs and publishers play it safe due to big budgets and bet more on safe games that were proven to work well before and be a market success then try something new that might be stuck in development hell and still suck when it comes out.

All they do now is push visuals since it gets you a clear visual advantage over competition and isnt a huge gamble
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>>337113465
>implying
>>
>>337113937
Fuck off segacuck.
>>
>>337112708
Well... Shadow of Mordor had this nemesis system which isn't possible on its X360/PS3 port.
>>
>>337112708
undertale
>>
How dense are you people? The power wall happened ages ago and you're still asking. There is no more free lunch.
>>
I agree, the gameplay has either stagnated or gone backwards, it's the 7th gen again with a fresh coat of paint
>>
Next gen was a lie
>>
>>337115895
Why wasn't it possible?
>>
>>337115895
Are you kidding ?
>>337113196
Also less games
>>337113116
Where do you even see art ?
>>
Crysis 3 was last gen but nothing next gen has surpassed it on pc
>>
>>337112708
technology wise? Yes next gen happened. Making games is now completely different from what it was just half a decade ago.
>>
The generation after the last never happened and most likely never will
>>
The industry is slowly killing itself, the greed and lust for power is the downfall , only one thing can save the day, playstation 4k
>>
>>337112708
The whole "next gen" term is really about newer tech that improves graphics and console functionality. So yeah it happened
>>
Only the ps4k can save the day horray
>>
>>337115895
is that true, I never knew.
>back on topic, that's not an innovation for the consoles you fuckwit
>>
Ps4k will shit on any pc or cosnoles lel they are weak compared to ps4k as it can do 4k so youre going to need a ps4k if you want nezt gen cutting technology sony always delivers the goods for gamers by gamers its in the game.
>>
With the next NVidia/AMD hardware consolefag are about to get left in the dust.
>>
>>337112708
Not really

Gen 7 was the peak and already have all of what we take for granted now
gen 8 just gave devs essentially more ram and updated GPU's

the CPU's are actually just as bad if not weaker and x86 doesnt seem to be as efficient as PowerPC.

What really irks me is that barely 3 years into gen 8 theres already a new generation but their calling it the same gen

>New polaris GPU's
>More ram for the PS4
>CPU Clocked at 2.0ghz+ instead of 1.6 locked
>???

It really is bullshit.

GT6 had realtime tesselation running on the Cell and so did Uncharted 2
>>
>>337113368
Siege i completely agree although we had that level of Destruction with Bad Company 1 and 2 and they ran fine on the PS3 and 360 so ???

Siege also looks very nice on consoles and actually runs better than my PC
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.