[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much time would it take to learn Game Maker and produce Cave
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8
File: GM.jpg (28 KB, 600x281) Image search: [Google]
GM.jpg
28 KB, 600x281
How much time would it take to learn Game Maker and produce Cave Story tier pixelshit to make thousands of indie bux?
>>
8 minutes
>>
>>337021516
This
But you won't make any indie bux
>>
>>337021394
Not long. The problem is actually sticking to it.

2d game dev is really easy but you have to be disciplined, which is hard for people like you and me.
>>
>>337022893
speak for yourself fag
>>
>>337021394
maybe a month, do all the tutorials everyday while reading Python on codeacademy

When you want to advance more try http://programming-motherfucker.com/
>>
How much time would it take to learn Game Maker and produce some 15-20 hour long pixelshit turn based RPG with dating sim elements?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1462431729869.jpg (60 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1462431729869.jpg
60 KB, 480x640
I made a metrovania and released it on steam after 4 k months of developing it. It was a 7 hour game and I did everything including music by myself.

First game I ever made and I used YouTube tutorials for it.
>>
>>337025459
Links and pics or gtfo.
>>
>>337025254
Designing your own RPG engine is a total bitch. Consider RPG Maker.
>>
>>337027014
Yeah I thought so, probably gonna pick up MV soon and get started. Got loads of music done, the script and some sprites from a drawfag friend of mine. It's a shame though, with the stigma attached to RPG Maker games I doubt it's gonna sell at all.
>>
>>337022893
>2d game dev is really easy

What if you don't use Game Maker?
>>
What youtube tutorial channels do you recommend? I want to make a mobile rhythm game
>>
use Fusion 2.5 instead.
>>
>>337025459
It must be absolute shit if you only spent 4 months on it. A half-decent game being made by a 1 man team will take at least a year even using pixel shit.
>>
>>337021394
But Cave Story was free till it got re-releases 20 times because it got pretty popular because at the time it was a rocking solid indie game.

What you should do instead is hire a good artist and make various concept art and a video that resembles gameplay while it's actually just a video footage. Then go to kickstarter and ask for funds.
>>
>>337023240
it's this exact attitude that will prevent you from achieving your goals
>>
File: 1462456766320.jpg (208 KB, 728x546) Image search: [Google]
1462456766320.jpg
208 KB, 728x546
>>337025459
>4000 months of developing
Still less than what it'll take for HL3
>>
>>337025459
>after 4 k months of developing it.
that's a lot of years
>>
>>337025459
Post it if you're so proud of it because even if you're some kinda of genius, 4 months for a metroidvania sounds like absolute shit.

Fucks sake you can barely make an indie SHMUP in one year.
>>
>>337021394
learning gamemaker is just 25% of making a game like Cave Story

You also need to design it, write the story, make the art, sound and music. I highly doubt you can do any of those as good as Pixel
>>
File: this can't be real.jpg (32 KB, 320x405) Image search: [Google]
this can't be real.jpg
32 KB, 320x405
>>337025138
>that address
Oh, I get it. Anon is putting words in website form. Very funny.
>search it
My reaction
>>
>>337027828
If you don't use the generic assets people won't even know. Newer versions let you replace the menus and everything, and that's what you should do.
>>
>>337031212
>design it, write the story, make the art
>good as pixel
Nigga, that's funny. You're funny.
Not saying they're bad. But they aren't all that, either.
Now, I do have to say that Bubbler L3 is one of the most satisfying weapons I've used ever. How the fuck has nobody else ripped it off?
>>
>>337030776
no experience in gamemaker but a metroidvania in Unity is doable in 4 months, since literally every tutorial is about making them so you can literally copy paste the whole engine from their tutorial database.
>>
>>337031483
How metroidvania are we talking here?
Like tons of stats and shit or more simple style like say, Hydra Castle Labyrinth.
>>
File: bleach.jpg (109 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
bleach.jpg
109 KB, 720x960
If you already know how to make pixelshit and know any programming or scripting language at all (something shit like Javascript will do), then it wouldn't be hard to prototype something solid using GML in a matter of weeks/months

However based on the fact you've even asked this question, it's pretty clear you have none of the above prerequisite skills, OP. So probably more like 4 years
>>
I'm confident that I can create interesting gameplay and design the whole thing, but I'm absolutely shit at drawing. How expensive it is to hire some tumblerina to draw me background assets and several hundred pixelated furry sprites?
>>
>>337032524
If you can push enough of a leftie agenda, you might even be able to convince some tumblr retard with good art skills to pump some stuff out for free. Otherwise, you'll be paying out the ass because a lot of these people already make bank on furries with more money than sense, so the talented artists are actually in quite high demand
>>
>>337021394
Half the people in this thread are clueless.

Yes Gamemaker is easy but saying shit like 8 minutes is simply not true, you can cut a lot of corners by using prebuilt code and gamemakers tools but really you want to learn the full syntax and language, and to effectively make a good game in it I would recommend at the very least 12 weeks of practice writing your own code
>>
>>337033156
>good art skills to pump some stuff out for free

DO NOT DO THIS

If your game goes commercial they can and most likely will fuck you over with multiple issues like copyright ownership and in laymans terms your use of them as a "slave" as an unpaid unlicensed artist

>>337032524
Really your best way is to look for royalty free art or to make your own.
Only use someone elses art which isn't royalty free and legally covered IF you can write an employment contract.

This will additionally help save you from tax problems when you release your game and profit on it, otherwise you will suddenly see all your profits stolen away for not declaring employee/contractor use
>>
At the scale of Cave Story, from the sound of it, you're an amateur, so three to five years. Minimum. Any decent dev can do it in six months.
>>
GML is beyond simple, even for complete newbies. You can watch & copy tutorials and learn the basics within two or so hours. The lion's share of the development will be focused on making proper assets, as long as you have some standards.
>>
>>337027014
What's even the point of using RPG maker if you have to script your own battle system and rewrite stat functions and a ton of other shit to make it not suck?
>>
>>337022893
Lots of people give up when it comes to making shit like enemies/bosses and levels. Also the reason you see procgen so much. Making actual (good) content is fucking hard.
>>
Hey can I hand draw the stuff I use in GM, rather than use pixel stuff?
>>
File: image.png (569 KB, 896x401) Image search: [Google]
image.png
569 KB, 896x401
https://tonty.itch.io/spacegun-working
>>
>>337038186
...Yes of course you can

Though it would look shit
>>
>>337021394
don't bother, it's a literal lottery
there's zillions of shit games, you have to click on some social media community so people shill your shit restlessly
Examples
-Minecraft indie stage
-Fucking undertale
-Phil Phish pedantic crap
etc

It's less effort either buying lotto or being a jewtuber
>>
File: nikkidrawing sophie 001.jpg (130 KB, 1700x2338) Image search: [Google]
nikkidrawing sophie 001.jpg
130 KB, 1700x2338
>>337038632
I think it would look ok. Here's something I made for Nikki thread a while back. Planning to give it a little editing if I use it.
>>
>>337021394
There's a big difference between like Cave Story and Cave Story. If your talking about making a retro platformer in Game Maker then that's easy, assuming you already have the assets for your project. Programming in the mechanics and making the levels would only take you a month tops. Again assuming you had all the other work like sound, art, music, design, and levels already fleshed out.

But Cave Story was created from scratch. And all the tools used to create the art and music were also made from scratch just for Cave Story. It's an amazing accomplishment done by a very talented person. And would take an average programmer a decade of dedication to create something that rivals it.

Here's a sample of a Corridors of Time remade in Pixel's tracker music program PxTone Collage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDOe_bADVPI
>>
>>337037151
There really is a difference between heavily tweaking shit and writing it all from scratch. I made my own RPG engine and it was a real nuisance. For a simple genre that hasn't changed all that much since Dragon Quest there sure are a lot of irritating, banal UI features you have to take care of.

For a lot of people that isn't even an option. If you have the time, attention, and skills to painstakingly recreate all the little menus, popups, and behaviors an RPG requires, you probably aren't the sort of person who asks for advice in these threads. Plus, there's a shitload of fan-made RPG Maker scripts out there that let you mix things up with minimal effort, I bet a good chunk of them are usable commercially.
>>
>>337038984
>Implying the underlying engine that the user never even engages with makes a difference in the overall quality of the experience.

Cave Story is a fun, simple game. Most of why its famous is because indie games weren't really a thing back when it came out. If it was released today /v/ would hate it, even if it did run on a custom engine
>>
>>337039269
I never did imply that. Your insecurities about your development tool of choice are showing. Unity, is that you?
>>
>>337038984
He wrote a fucking DAW?

Pixel is a god.
>>
>>337039259
What's a good engine for a Fire Emblem clone? Should I make my own?
>>
>>337038947
sugoi, kawaii.....

that would totally work if you vectored it
>>
>>337040268
Yeah I have a ton of stuff like this. Gotta figure out which ones to use.
>>
>>337030776
Depends entirely on how you're working. I've made a couple of stages worth of content for my shmup in under a week, but I did work on it all day every day. Now I'm all burnt out and don't feel like touching it again.
>>
>>337040163
You might have to. I don't know any good SRPG engines. I know there's some grid combat extensions for RPG Maker but they were trashy last I checked. It's really not what the engine is for.

I don't envy you. There's a lot of AI and pathfinding shit down that road. Standard JRPGs get away with picking moves via roulette wheel, but SRPG opponents are expected to position themselves and strategize a bit.
>>
>>337041582
>Standard JRPGs get away with picking moves via roulette wheel,

What kind of shitty RPG does this? Even the most banal JRPGs have behavior trees for bosses at least
>>
>>337025459
I didn't know they had computers back in the 17th century
>>
>>337041582
I wish I could at least find a good tutorial. All game making tutorials assume I want to make a platformer or a top-down action game, it sucks having to adapt the advice and figure out RPG needs on my own.

So many people just ignore RPG tutorials because they assume RPG Maker has you covered if you want to go that route, but really RPG Maker is such a small sample of the types of RPG that are possible
>>
>>337021394
It takes very little effort to make a generic 2d sidescroller shooter.

It takes a shitload of work to make a good one.

It takes a shitload of work, a whole fuckload of luck, and good marketing skills and/or money to game a good game that sells well.
>>
File: 1455909499663.jpg (24 KB, 404x350) Image search: [Google]
1455909499663.jpg
24 KB, 404x350
>tfw you're finally going to start making that game this summer
It'll be fun, r-right?
>>
>>337041828
Oh? I rarely see classic RPG bosses react to anything beyond adding moves at lower HP. And when they do it's often for the worse, like how you can debuff the Barrier Trio in Mother 3 every turn and they'll never attack because they prioritize buffing themselves too highly.

It was a very broad statement, but I just wanted to make the point that it's not like SRPGs where you need enemies to understand range and movement and shit just to make the game functional.
>>
It will take you several months just to learn the coding unless you're a legit autistic savant or something. You can also start learning another language and then learn GM in a few days or so.
GameMaker will help get a game running a lot faster than other engines though.
If you just learn basic code and are working alone your game WILL be shit and you won't make any money, if that's what you intend.
>>
>>337021394
Realistically it takes 5 years to get good enough to be able to make money
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.