[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went so wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 33
File: coverbygentapo1.jpg (166 KB, 700x872) Image search: [Google]
coverbygentapo1.jpg
166 KB, 700x872
What went so wrong?
>>
barely any effort was put into it
>>
For me, nothing. Honestly one of the most fun games I've ever played.
>>
He fell for the open world meme
He fell for the silent protagonist meme
>>
Filler missions
a.k.a the whole game
>>
fanbase
>>
I still can't believe how well this scored and how drones still defend it.

While the core gameplay is good you gotta trudge though shitty menus, the worst open world, and a frankly lack luster plot to get to it.
>>
Honestly they should have just incorporated a lot of the important shit from act 2 into act 1. When you beat skelly eli and mantis should have just taken the remains and disappeared. The part where you are in the medical rig and huey's exile could have also fit into act 1.

Act 2 should have been a short epilogue where you play the mission where quiet leaves and then the true ending mission

If they did this the game would have flowed a lot better
>>
It's the Majora's Mask of the series
>>
Just you wait until Chapter 3 comes out and it becomes the greatest game of all time. It'll happen. Right guys?
>>
>>337021708
Majoras Mask had an interesting story, good characters and a compelling world. TPP has none of those.
>>
File: 1458179167562.gif (63 KB, 290x300) Image search: [Google]
1458179167562.gif
63 KB, 290x300
>>337020814
>lol turns out you were never actually Big Boss
>What clever writing!
>10/10

Does Kojima realize that just because you can do a twist, doesn't mean you should?
>>
>>337021608
It's so depressing, the gameplay is so fucking good but it shouldn't be an open world shitfest.
>>
>>337022756
it's never going to happen, and it'll be shit anyway if it does.
>>
File: hello darkness my old friend.jpg (37 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hello darkness my old friend.jpg
37 KB, 480x360
>>337022756
yes anon
someday
>>
>>337020814
The story has great fucking moments, but it feels like the connective tissue tying these moments together into a whole and singular story is completely absent. Kojima's intent was likely for the gameplay to be this connective tissue, but he failed.

The end result is a story that feels disjointed and only half finished.

The gameplay is elder god tier however, and it single handedly saves the game.
>>
>>337022756
>>337023210
I don't know how stupid you should be to believe that Chapter 3 is or was a thing. Use some fucking basic logic.
>>
>>337021678
Yep, basically all they had to do was Peace Walker 2.0. Instead they thought Zadornov style misssions were great and decided to give us 3 times as many of those.
>>
File: 1443800604711.webm (3 MB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
1443800604711.webm
3 MB, 900x506
>>337020965
Actually a lot of effort went into it, it was just misplaced effort. The game shouldn't have been an open world game. It was just a large sand box that got boring and didn't have enough focus on the story it desperately needed to finish.
Plus, the boss battles weren't fun. They weren't PW level of bad, but still weren't good.
>>
>>337023441
but anon it WAS originally going to be a thing. it's in the game files and concept art, you fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>337023591
You are not using the basic logic.
>>
>>337021708
I'd say Skyward Sword.
>>
The lack of story, making a lot of the story optional through tapes instead of the codec like peace walker was fine but the pacing was horrible. The gameplay itself was fantastic but it was very obvious especially later in the game that Kojima had to finish the game ASAP because of Konami pushing him out the door.

Also

>VOCAL CHOOOORD PARASITES
Seriously it was the nanomachines of MGS5 but it was an awful plot line that consumed a massive part of the game. Shit Talker's tapes were easily some of the worst dialogue in the entire series.

All things said I was disappointed but I still had a ton of fun with the game other than the almost complete lack of mouse controls in menus the PC port was great and was optimized very well which is odd looking at the track record of japanese devs and PC ports.

Its still a better game that a huge chunk of big AAA releases and better than anything Ubishit, EA or Activision has put out in awhile.
>>
>>337021362
clearly kojimo infiltrated her pussy if you catch my drift hehe
>>
>>337023659
ok what "basic logic" will lead me to the conclusion that unused files in a game don't actually exist?
>>
>>337023551
I actually think the bosses were pretty good, the problem is that they had very little personality, so they all felt the same.
>>
>>337023736
I just wish the vocal cord parasites were real but instead of ooga booga language it was "aw shit nigga" and any white person who says "senpai"
>>
File: MGSV Ending.jpg (109 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
MGSV Ending.jpg
109 KB, 960x544
>>
They fired the director halfway through and it shows.

I'm not even a big fan on Metal Gear but it was seriously stupid from Konami. You have a guy like Kojima precisely to give him creative freedom and this has rewarded you in the past, why you crack down on him now is beyond me.
>>
The narrative needed to be stitched together more, like the final five or so missions of Chapter 1 that had events that led into the next one. Even Peace Walker did this.
>>
File: 1384126339190.jpg (616 KB, 1200x966) Image search: [Google]
1384126339190.jpg
616 KB, 1200x966
>>337024068
What's worse is that the actual model still looks a million times better than the 3d model. I feel nothing when I look at Quiet but confusion about her existence.
>>
If you thought this was bad, wait until what you're about to see from them at E3.
>>
>>337023849
Story: every story ark is finished, except Eli (1 mission)
Memes: Even Kojima himself explained that he went with phantom pain theme in chapter 2, nothing serious happening, Miller looking for more revenge, etc
Files: Oh yeah The Titlecard, devs spent whole 2 minutes on that thing
Missions: Chapter 1 has 30 missions (main story), Chapter 2 has 20 missions (leftovers), of course we can't include mission 51 in Chapter 2, that would be madness, let's make a third chapter with one mission.
>>
>>337022909
After MGS 2 I'd say that Kojima doesn't know what the fuck he's doing at all. That plot was wretched and insipid.
>>
>>337020814
lack of boss fights
also no fist fight in the end with big boss or skeleton man
>>
>>337020814
Weak game design, weaker story.

They just bit off more than they could chew, which made flawed premises worse.
>>
>>337024506
MGS2 had plenty of flavor, fuck you
>>
>>337023357
>The story has great fucking moments
...like what? Hospital sequence was neat, but that's pretty much it.
>>
You never get to become the monster big boss supposedly is. Also the lack of meeting key characters around that area at that time is a huge disappointment along withe there only being 2 whole areas in the game.
>>
File: Solid Snake 5.jpg (52 KB, 417x271) Image search: [Google]
Solid Snake 5.jpg
52 KB, 417x271
The minute to minute gameplay is fun.
Everything else is tedious. I hate all the base building and fulton bullshit. I just want to sneak around, all the stats they show me of my base mean nothing to me. I just fulton every fucking thing I see and auto assign my staff to where they belong. It all feels like a pointless distraction. If they hadn't done any of the base shit they could have made more maps to play on and make them more dense and interesting.
>>
File: 1443770472302.jpg (86 KB, 647x557) Image search: [Google]
1443770472302.jpg
86 KB, 647x557
>>337024404
Quiet is cute but joost is perfect. Technology just needs to catch up.
>>
>>337020814
Trying too hard to be meta.

Apologists say the game was meant to make you feel a Phantom Pain of you own. It was supposed to make you not want to continue playing it. In reality it just didn't live up to any hype, and explains story points that either nobody cared about knowing or was already explained(how BB survived Outer Heaven blowing up). It was unfinished and that left people depressed.
>>
>>337025375
By the time "the reveal" happens you already kind of know, and it's only when it's solidified do you notice that the rug was pulled out from under you around the end of chapter 1. It was so disappointing.
>>
>>337024827
>like what

Hospital

Any time skullface was on screen (all 3 of them)

Huey Exile

Quiet Leaving

Motherbase in fighting scene

Eli being a cheeky cunt then getting his ass beat

Eli leaving with the metal gear

Shining Lights
>>
>>337025375
>Apologists say
Those are disappointing fanboys that cry over "muh phantom pain XD"
>>
>>337020814
You could say that Kojima forgot to add any substance to MGSV.
>>
>>337025626
Skull Face benefited from an Ian McDiarmid-tier level ham performance, but as a character he was pretty boring. His motivations and plans were fairly dull, I thought. Everything with Eli was awful. "You know how as a 30-something adult he wore a jacket without a shirt and stole a Metal Gear? He did all that when he was 12, too!" Shining Lights was alright, but it was emotionally cheap and unaffecting to me.
>>
>>337020814
The previous games, even PW minus grinding out the true ending, had amazing pacing. Despite all the fucking crazy nonsense kojima likes to pull, MGS1-4 and PW flow very well from beginning to end. MGS3 in particular is probably one of the best examples of this in video games.
MGSV is the exact opposite. Huge portions of filler, no proper payoff to anything, and somehow managing to have the least memorable world in the series despite it being a huge focus of the game.

It's basically an ubisoft game that didn't even understand why some people like said ubisoft games.
And Kojima tried way too hard to pull the 'lol tricked you!' meta trash like he did with 2. Tried so hard it taints the rest of the series.
>>
It wasn't the story of big boss creating outer heaven. It was a bullshit side story that really didn't matter
>>
anyone else find this new fob update weird?
actual features instead of reskinned weapons that require max level staff?

why do it now and not in september when the game was still alive?
>>
>>337026163
There still updating?
>>
>>337026439
Yeah, the remnants of KojiPro who didn't jump ship to new-KojiPro and stayed with Konami are still trickling out updates for both TPP and MGO3.
>>
>>337026163
>grade 10,11
ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR MINDS?
I'm not coming back to login 3 times a week to get MB coins to get platforms to get those items.
>>
>>337026163
You mean event points/rewards and mission objectives for all FOB invasions?

I loaded my game yesterday for the first time since December and I was pleasantly surprised by the additions.

>why do it now and not in september when the game was still alive?
Because back in September Konami thought mother base coins and MGO would keep the game afloat.
>>
>>337026096
>MGS3 in particular is probably one of the best examples of this in video games.
I think MGS3 did a good job here, too. Elsewhere it wasn't as successful, but the various levels were introduced to the player at a great pace, as were bosses.
>>
Is there any proof that it was "suppose to be shit"?

>>337021608
I think there enough proof that it was bought off.
>>
>>337026654
no, actual new features.
new unique skills for soldiers and you can send a strike team to an FOB before you invade.
whatever that means
>>
>>337026654
They also just announced a bunch of actual content.

More weapons like a Fulton Launcher and Ocelots Revolvers.
More shit for FOBs, like sending troops into an FOB before you so they can disable guards/cameras.
Daily Leagues and Challenges.

Some other stuff as well, all coming this month.

They are probably going to be adding the 5th FOB as well because Shit EXPENSIVE!
>>
>>337020814
The second act being unfinished and the TWEEEST undoing any and all character development that you thought Boss had gained.

I was on Cloud 9 after the first act. So up until that point nothing went wrong.
>>
>>337020814
Who knows? Not me.
>>
It was a celebrated game with many praising the gameplay over story and it sold a shit-ton.
>>
>>337026763
No. Skull Face's demise was deliberately underwhelming, but aside from that no.
>>
>>337020814
The biggest offender was the openw orld. It's incredibly stale and static nothing happens everything is fixed no dynamic events nothing and no interiors all houses are 1 room shit while the FOX engine excells at indoor. Hospital looked great but the open world was meh. And I forgot Motherbase, such an unfinished piece of shit.
>>
>>337026830
You won't believe me but this new update is in preparation for a new single player DLC release being announced soon.

If you thought GZ was poor value for money you are going to love this:

>Non story missions, big boss has no lines, ocelot has no lines, Kaz will deliver you the mission brief over codec without any interaction from big boss.
>They don't tie together into any kind of story, essentially just random prisoner rescue missions.
>No new maps, 2 take place in Africa, 2 take place in Afghanistan and one singleplayer FOB style mission on Mother Base.
>a handful of new development items with rank restrictions and week long development times.

There's going to be a shitstorm when this thing releases in the summer.
>>
The most dissapointing game Ive ever been excited for.

and I bought Dark Souls 2 on launch day

and I still was less offended by Dark Souls 2 than MGSV.
>>
>>337028097
I'd pay for it.
>>
>>337026096

>MGS3
>an example of good pacing

Yeah ok. What about the 15 minute still image flashback during an exciting parachute jump at the start of the game before you ever get to control your character? Some of the pacing in MGS3 is Naruto Filler Tier bullshit.

So much shit is out of place and unnecessary that slows everything down to a halt. Entire sections of the story could be completely removed, and not effect the plot at all- not even in the slightest- for example the entire Granin subplot adds literally nothing to the story despite taking up nearly 30 minutes of cutscene and an hour long gameplay diversion.

Mandatory codec calls about frivolous and unimportant shit that doesn't even add character, or restating objectives you already know for the 100th time are also a huge issue in MGS3.
>>
>>337028228
Let the other anons finish the sentence:
You are the reason videogames ...
>>
>>337020814
Konami went nuclear
>>
>>337020814

They made a Metal Gear Solid game
>>
>>337028367
... are fun.
>>
>>337023867
>the bosses were pretty good,
what bosses?
>>
>>337020814
>A Hideo Kojima game
>>
>>337026867
We've never lost control
>>
>>337028465
The fights against the skulls, the Man on Fire, Eli, Quiet and Sahalanthropus.
>>
>>337024448
Yeah I never got this meme that Mission 51 was supposed to be chapter 3. It was obviously the climax to chapter 2, with everything in that chapter leading up to it. It sucks that it got cut but even if they split it in 2 missions (which is likely since every mission with a boss fight at the end is) it still wouldn't fit as a full chapter.
Looking at the game files KoF was supposed to take place before a quiet exit and shining lights.
If chapter 3 ever left planning stage we would have seen something from it, they showed every other fucking cutscene from the game in the trailers.
>>
>>337028298
that's not a filler, it is one for the history books; the world's first HALO jump
>>
>>337028465
The skulls.
Every metal gear game need a version of the wolf and raven fights imo. There's the sniper skulls, but the mist and armor skulls are like fighting a mg1 boss. A waste of a cool design.
>>
>>337024448
If you play TPP and think that's a complete game you're just pure fucking retarded.
>>
>>337022909
Idiot it explains why in the original mg games for Nintendo you fight big boss twice.
>>
>>337028882
you mean the original MG games for MSX
>>
>>337021608
Honestly, I think that's because AT FIRST the game was really fucking good.
Things really didn't start to sink in for a while. I bet most reviewers and casual fans stopped playing before that happened.
>>
>>337028882
Let's not mention Nintendo versions, I've played through MG1 and there wasn't even a Metal Gear.
>>
File: 1445895647234.webm (3 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1445895647234.webm
3 MB, 800x450
it's not even bad
>>
I beat Sahalanthropus and I stopped playing

It was good, but it was turning into a bit of a slog, I was grinding the side ops constantly to get cash, and the new guns were costing more and more

Seemed like a good point to just put it down for a while. It's a good game, but it's not a good Metal Gear.
>>
>>337020814
>What went so wrong?

Story was fucking garbage. It was really bad. The open world made a huge impact on the loss of attention to detail that usually comes with a Metal Gear game.
>>
>>337029170
This need some Kaz in the sun or something like that.
>>
>>337029170
I like this scene after MGSV.
It shows that Zero was successful in eliminating language, but that he was wrong about it bringing the world together as one.
>>
I finished chapter one and got tired of playing. I did every single side op available to me and simply didn't want to play anymore.

Should I go back and complete chapter 2?
>>
File: Mgs V Forced Cam Test.webm (616 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Mgs V Forced Cam Test.webm
616 KB, 960x540
>>337020814
It's alright you faggots shouldn't have been as overhyped
>>
>>337020814
Assassin's Creed with guns. Very overrated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDQEFMxyfhs
>>
>>337029853
At least AC games has detailed cities and wild areas. MGS V is just generated bland sand and jugles
>>
>>337029065
Not him but TX 55 (whatever it was called) WAS the Metal Gear. It wasn't operational, snake was sent in to destroy it before it was ready, which is why you put c4 next to a stationary robot with laser cameras around it. You know, the section before the big boss fight that actually causes outer heaven to detonate.
>>
>>337028882
>Nintendo
And it already was explained. Not that it needed an explanation anyway.
>>
>>337029013
>>337022954
The core gameplay is really good, sneaking around a base, all the freedom in movements it gives. It's amazing. It's just all the shit you gotta do to get to that moment

>>337026763
I kinda think it was bought off. I can get people liking it, I like a lot of bad games but as a pro reviewer you should be able to put personal preference aside. Maybe reflect in the text of the review in the ways you like it.
>>
Open World and shitty side missions instead of Ground Zeroes like areas and missions.
>>
>>337028853
It isn't obviously, KoF is missing. But every other plot thread has been tied up by the end of the game.
>>
>>337020814
It was good, which means it got out of its niche.
>>
The parasites was a poor vehicle to push the totalitarian and mono culturism. It was clunky, it didn't make much sense and it was pretty silly in the end.

There was too much self debrication, the Millers Cheeseburgers things being a prime example.

The landscapes became monotonous, there should of been a couple of urban areas and the likes.

The whole 'plot twist' was poorly framed, we did not need to have the stupid horn stuck in his head, it was just... stupid.

They wasted too much time on the music, the reason we have them is because so much of the game was riding from one location to the next, that is all.

Mother Base was massively underused, and stupidly oversized. There was no reason to have all the stantions it did, they could of easily been completed with adding another level instead of a long, boring, dull drive that takes 30 minutes to explore.

Fake weapon names was one that got under my skin more than it should of, I know, but when you have a reputation for realism and then pull the carpet out from under us with that, it just sucks. There were ways around it. We did not need to have 10+ muzzle breaks on a rifle.

Some of the characters were little more than parodies and not depth or appeal. Code-Talker, Skull Face and Miller being the worst examples.

Why was Revolver Occelot even in the game? He did nothing.

Boss battles, what happened to them? A hallmark of the game series, gone.
>>
>>337031068
gz was shit too.
>>
>>337030856
The movements are fluid, but the game affords an abundance of options without accounting for them in the level design or enemy behavior. I don't think the gameplay was all that great, unless you only mean the controls. Mechanics are only as good as their context allows.
>>
File: in outer heaven....jpg (457 KB, 750x859) Image search: [Google]
in outer heaven....jpg
457 KB, 750x859
I loved it, OP. Still do. There's a new update coming tomorrow, in fact.

...also, I made a trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHgkS4hGSxA
>>
>>337031710

bretty gud anon
>>
>>337020814
Konami firing Kojima/Not letting him finish the game. That's it.
>>
File: try not to cry.jpg (41 KB, 427x231) Image search: [Google]
try not to cry.jpg
41 KB, 427x231
I didn't want to believe that it was shit.
The more I played the harder it was to ignore it. Gameplay was pretty good, but just about everything else sucked. What a waste of the Fox engine.
>>
File: 1450852183102.png (366 KB, 1612x969) Image search: [Google]
1450852183102.png
366 KB, 1612x969
This right here is probably why.
>>
File: 1315544468173.png (3 KB, 142x138) Image search: [Google]
1315544468173.png
3 KB, 142x138
I enjoyed it, but at the same time it was really disappointing. That's how it is with some games unfortunately.
>>
>>337032784
Apolgist, if it is not good. Do not but it, it is supply and demand. If people will buy it, they will sell it.
>>
>>337032324
tldr, I'm guessing he is praising old games and they get a free pass, because they are basically first and the fanbase thinks that they define what formula should series stick to, but new games changed the formula and nostalgia happened, company betrayed me, tears, tears, many manly tears.
>>
File: 1277877399778.jpg (44 KB, 479x317) Image search: [Google]
1277877399778.jpg
44 KB, 479x317
>>337032894
I'm just giving my opinion here. I wasn't really saying anything beyond that.
>>
>>337033091
No, its more that he was trying to make a good game and Konami interfered, and we expected him to make something to surpass metal gear (hurr), basically we expected to much from a guy who just makes ok games.
>>
File: fassburton.jpg (75 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
fassburton.jpg
75 KB, 1024x683
>>337033129
I know, but it is your actions that allow them to release subpar games. You said you were really disappointment by it despite enjoying it, that is quite masochistic. If we hold off collectively and wait, we can improve the industry. Getting rid of Day 1 DLC, of preorder exclusives and all manner of other things that sell unfinished games.
>>
>>337033091
Not that poster, and I'm not going to bother reading it either, but the formula change isn't the issue. MGSV has big problems even on its own terms.
>>
>>337028367

Still financially viable.
>>
>>337033509
Well looking at where we are now, I think I would have eventually bought it even if I held off and waited. Now I know that still sends the same message, but even had I heard all the disappointment first I'd have wanted to see it for myself before making a judgement.

I'm not being masochistic when I said I was disappointed while still enjoying it. It's an alright game as it is, I just know it could have been better. But I'd rather take what we got than nothing at all. Certainly that makes me seem desperate to a degree, and only strengthens the idea that developers are able to get away with some things provided their fanbase is fervent enough, but in this one case I feel it's obvious that had myself and others not bought MGSV, nothing of significance would really happen.
>>
Something happened

Just play the second mission, Diamond Dogs. It's a fucking tutorial. Tutorial with 80% of Venom's dialogue and 100% of Ocelot's personality.

That's how Phantom Pain was supposed to look like.

I think that Kojima doesn't understand that metaplot, references and muh innovative storytelling don't automatically make the game good

I mean I don't fucking care about Moby Dick references. Yes, I liked the book, but referencing it everywhere in the game doesn't make it fucking good. And Kojimbo believes that story is told by Ishmael and the players are mad because Ahab/Venom turned out to be a medic.

No, we just got a bad story and a bad closure to the series.

We can only hope that something will come up on 30th Metal Gear anniversary (next year). Also Konami started hiring people for "New Metal Gear Team"
>>
>>337030054
There was no Metal Gear in the NES version of Metal Gear. It was replaced with a super computer because ???
>>
>fucking 10/10 gameplay
>lots of little shit were cool
>no cutscenes which is not a bad thing but explaining the story in a trillion castetee tapes were worse
>shit open wordl
>forces you to be the good guy otherwise you turn into a retard
>game is pretty easy with certain wepaons like tranqs(cqc master race)
>Story was very lack luster and badly handled
>Pre established characters were shadows of their former selves and new charaters like skull face did not live up to the hype
>Weird inconsistencies like Big Boss going crazy that quiet jumped into the poison gas and trying to jump in yet next cutscene he was happily sitting and watching her get tortured
>Another one is Big Boss thinking he shot Eli and going ape but in one of the cutscenes he hands him a gun and tells him to kill himself
>Obvious cut content
>last chapter cut, story line left wide open
>recycled old missions
>recycling the intro mission
>horrible bosses

I think the hype might have killed it, I was hyped as fuck for three years and it all left after act 1, think it left a huge void that needs filling.
I was not even mad that Venom was Medic, everyone lost their mind but it has happened before.
It is a great game but ill never play it again, I wanted my favorite series to go out with a bang not a whimper.
>>
>>337034381
Whatever happens with Metal Gear next, I really hope it's a new continuity with new characters. No more Big Boss elaboration, no pointless side game about Solid Snake's post-junior prom attempt at cunnilingus or whatever equally pointless shit some of you fucks want.

The series needs flexibility and freedom again. It's needed it for over a decade.
>>
File: tumblr_o2wymgxguj1r784aqo1_1280.png (206 KB, 628x531) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o2wymgxguj1r784aqo1_1280.png
206 KB, 628x531
>>337020814
It's advertised as "open world" but more than half of afghanistan and africa is just mountains and hills you cant access making the "open world" just a bunch a narrow path ways leading to an occasional shitty outpost or base.
>>
>>337034907
This, but I kinda wish to see a short (like Ground Zeroes) episode about Solid Snake vs. Venom Snake with a couple of lengthy cutscenes to finish this whole arc and move on.
>>
>>337034907
>konami
>ever turning their back on the most recognizable and profitable aspect of the series
Konami don't understand what makes Metal Gear quintessentially Metal Gear. If they even tried to make a Metal Gear game without the familiar cast, it wouldn't resemble the rest of the series in any way at all.
>>
I killed Quiet
>>
It lacked inspiration in every regard.

Kojima fell for the open world meme, and the level design suffered terribly for it.
He couldn't come up with another good story for Big Boss, because Peace Walker already foreshadowed why he turned into the person we met in MG1-2.
He tried to pull a shitty twist which was completely unnecesary and irrelevant in the long run.
And the game was axed during its development.

The thing I hate the most is how you get S ranks.
>stealth, knowing your surroundings and enemy routes? Fuck that shit, just rush to the target and run back to the chopper
I mean, you can still get S ranks by doing perfect stealth runs, but they are completely unrewarding when you still need to do 500 other missions, and rushing through everything gives you the same result.
At least PW made more sense in how you could get S ranks.
>>
File: 1460151968958.jpg (131 KB, 881x719) Image search: [Google]
1460151968958.jpg
131 KB, 881x719
Ground Zeroes and the first part of TPP were so, so fucking promising.

It's always going to bust my ass to remember how it all turned out.
>>
Bad level design and minimal replayability in a series known for tight level design and having high replay value.
>>
>>337036091
>Bad level design
Look at this spoiled kid
>>
>>337036206
Save for maybe the Oilfield he isn't wrong.
>>
>>337036206
Boy do I love going to the same tiny bases over and over again with guard shifts that hardly ever change, going through the process of fultoning dudes over and over again in the same damn mission that's just a repeat of a previous one.

Camp Omega is the only well designed area and it's not even in Phantom Pain.
>>
>>337036206
>le entitled gamer meme
Don't you have a Metroid Other M or DmC thread to shitpost in?
>>
>That feeling I had back when the earlier trailers came out; that hype.
>mfw I even told some people it's going to be the best game ever made, for real.
>tfw it turned out to be a good messing about simulator but a bland MGS game with no substance.
>tfw I knew it was bad while playing it but repressed the feeling
>It was the final game in the series.

WISH WE COULD TURN BACK TIME TO THE GOOD OLD DAYS
>>
I remember finally launching the game and seeing the title screen with the hospital

My hands were shaking and I thought that I'm just starting to play the best game ever made
>>
>>337020814
Everything after MGS2
I still think MGS3 is good, but it was the beginning of the end
>>
>>337036847
I feel the same way.
>>
File: 1452566822043.jpg (88 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
1452566822043.jpg
88 KB, 1280x853
>>337020814
Every single thing.
>>
GZ > 4> 1> R > 2 > PW > 3 > V
>>
File: 1.jpg (43 KB, 702x428) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
43 KB, 702x428
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiPon8lr48U

>We'll never get a theme and intro this hype in any game ever again.

WHAT HAVE I BECOME
MY SWEETEST FRIEND
>>
>>337036836
fuck you

I know ;_;

I was ready for the wild ride

Shit even Twin Peaks as an artistic medium made me feel more than the final game, but the title screen at the hospital, i wasnt ready.
>>
>>337020814
the fanbase and konami
>>
It's shouldn't have been an Open-World game because I don't think anyone at KojiPro had experience with those types of games.
It should have been a few Camp Omega-sized levels and some actually good interior levels instead of a huge open world with a bunch of tiny outposts, some alright-ish bigger bases, and fucking nothing interesting to do inbetween.

Side Ops should have been more like Ground Zeroes and some of the more fun stuff from Peacewalker instead of
>oh there's these four guys in this outpost. Go take them out
>oh there's this vehicle unit in the fields. Go take it out
>go get that hostage in that outpost
>go get this container in this base
>>
File: 1445095279792.png (1 MB, 1014x1390) Image search: [Google]
1445095279792.png
1 MB, 1014x1390
post more Shinkawa
>>
>>337037347
that version of the theme got purged by Konami because TAPPY really likes 19th century Russian composers
>>
>>337037680
I agree it would have been a better game if it hadn't been open world, but I give Kojima props for trying. I equally condemn him for not pulling it off, but at least he tried something he'd never done before instead of settling for complacency and making yet more shit he was familiar with. Everyone complains about video games getting too samey, but the reason companies don't branch out into unfamiliar territory more is for the same reason people didn't like MGSV; it's a risk and there's no guarantee you'll actually pull it off.
>>
I think maybe if there wasn't two "acts" (just had one big act) and added Mission 51 then it would have been fine
>>
>>337020814
he looks old in this art
>>
File: Phantom Pain.jpg (542 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
Phantom Pain.jpg
542 KB, 1680x1050
>>337037959
>>
File: stephanie mirror.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
stephanie mirror.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
Why you deleted this webm faggot mod?
>>
The story
>>
>>337038154
Big Boss would've been about 50. He looks a bit older than that in the art, but I think his character model in the game itself looks too young.
>>
File: 1442940644087.jpg (91 KB, 589x876) Image search: [Google]
1442940644087.jpg
91 KB, 589x876
>>337037959
>>
>>337038273
Mods are fucking gay
>>
I know im going to hey shit for this, but I wish they had dlc for this game. Everything felt unfinished and the
Filler missions are just incredibly repetitive.
>>
>>337038273
Because you spelled her name wrong
>>
>YOU are the HERO gimmick
>entire game made atleast a gorillion plotholes with zero, venom-bb, foxhound, miller getting crippled, etc.
>VOCAL CHORD PARASITES being just NANOMACHINES
>5 types of bosses: Regular skulls, Sniper fight, Eli QTE Fight, Sally bulletsponge, Volgin
>Empty open world with no infighthing between factions, even though 4 had it, you don't even see a Mujahedeen fighter, or fighting in africa
>kojimbo promised taboo subjects, instead Venom is literally jesus, saving child soldiers and animals
>tacked on dark souls wanna-be invasion system
>Ocelot doesn't even revolve his guns
>Chapter 3 cut, patrol dogs cut, the anti-metal gear tank never gets used
>Re-casting Hayter with A-list celeb, only to make him borderline silent

I'd say the maing problems come from the story, gameplay itself was fine, if a bit unpolished
>>
File: mad wallaby.jpg (99 KB, 341x493) Image search: [Google]
mad wallaby.jpg
99 KB, 341x493
>>337037232
>GZ better than V

I want this meme to end
>>
>>337024506
this

Pretty sure he just made shit up and wrote crazy stuff then would read the fan theories explaining and connecting them, pick his favorite elaborate ones then make the next game
>>
File: 56376847695898.gif (3 MB, 280x251) Image search: [Google]
56376847695898.gif
3 MB, 280x251
Fun Fact.
Sahelanthropus' humanoid design was created by using scrapped FOX Engine models of Jehuty for ZOE3.
>>
>>337043232
Do you have a single fact to back that up?
>>
>>337020814
You guys believing in Kojima after MGS 3.
>>
>>337044023
Are you implying mgs3 was bad?
>>
File: 1458098013739.gif (1 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1458098013739.gif
1 MB, 200x150
>>337028583
>skulls, the Man on Fire, Eli
>>
>>337020814
Not having that cover in NA is all I can think of wrong
>>
>>337044265
No, I meant the games after MGS 3.
>>
>>337020814

Retarded amounts of hype, le kojima is a ruseman meme, unnecesary open world, rushed plot, laughably pathetic villain, extremely repetitive missions, terrible Ocelot... the list goes on and on.
>>
>>337043327
Those two are mechas, right?

They're all basically the same shit, so I don't really doubt it's true.
>>
File: 1443879009429.jpg (164 KB, 433x500) Image search: [Google]
1443879009429.jpg
164 KB, 433x500
>>337044415
>close up of the main character(s) with an angry or serious expression, and the main logo
Why does America force this shit so hard?
It always looks ugly, and other regions always end up having better covers.
>>
File: 1462549166691.png (312 KB, 471x547) Image search: [Google]
1462549166691.png
312 KB, 471x547
>>337046089
>>
Still the shortest 60 hours i ever played, followed by the longest 10. And then when mgo dropped up to the fast 30 again.

Mgsv is stellar when it is good but so fucking garbage during its bad moments that it comes. Out as .... okay.
>>
>>337034761
>It was replaced with a super computer because ???
Because they didn't have advanced mappers yet for NES cartridges. You only fight one in Snake's Revenge.
>>
File: Caln54LUEAA74V7.jpg orig.jpg (248 KB, 810x1024) Image search: [Google]
Caln54LUEAA74V7.jpg orig.jpg
248 KB, 810x1024
>>337034907
>The series needs flexibility and freedom again. It's needed it for over a decade.
This. None of the MGS games have been as risk-taking as MGS1 nor 2. They wrote themselves in a corner when they made Solid Snake's clone daddy the protagonist of 3.
>>
>>337020814
it is a semi canon spinoff

metal gear acid had a better story
>>
>>337035656
Good. D-Dog is best waifu
>>
>play game for 80+ hours
>WAOOOOOOOW IT'S SO SHIT! IT'S SUCH A SHIT GAME! WOOOOOOOW
>>
>>337024404
they fucked up putting that girl in the game
>>
>>337028097
GZ was the best piece of metal gear ever.
>>
>>337046365
That was the JP cover too. MGS has been using CGI art since MGS4.
>>
>>337031247
You're right about alot of that but your ignoring points to make a nice story.
>>
>>337022756
You know resident evil 5 had story mode dlc a year after it was released. WHO KNOWS?

I wonder what development team Konami would even be using to develop additional content for Phantom Pain.
>>
>>337020814
There's simply way too much waiting

In order to get to a mission I have to pull up my phone, WAIT for it to slowly load every sub menu because it lags like shit for some reason, call up a helicopter, WAIT for the helicopter to arrive, WAIT for it to slowly land while playing some random 80's song that cost tons of money to lisence that could've gone towards the game itself, get in the helicopter and then WAIT as it slowly flies off and then WAIT some more for it to land me at the mission site and then WAIT through yet another fucking opening credits to a mission that doesn't matter because every mission is designed and staring the same goddamn people and then finally I get to stop WAITing and actually play the video game

In just cause 2 or mercinaries, open world paramilitary games that came out years before this one on weaker hardware I can just go into a quick menu, buy a helicopter and fly it myself to wherever I need to be, something that's both faster and way more fun

People like to say that the game is bad because it was rushed or because they fired kojima, but this bullshit was an INTENTIONAL IDEA because kojima was past his prime years ago and he thinks it's so fucking epic and cinematic to have the player sit around listening to music instead of actually doing things in his video game. This game sucks because kojima now sucks
>>
File: Yoji.jpg (32 KB, 500x369) Image search: [Google]
Yoji.jpg
32 KB, 500x369
>>337037959
>>
>>337049178
Not true. EU was getting Shinkawa art until Peace Walker.

I made a shinkawa cover for MGSV before release just so it'd fit in with the rest of my collection.
>>
File: sampleImage_238376.jpg (199 KB, 722x1024) Image search: [Google]
sampleImage_238376.jpg
199 KB, 722x1024
>>337050212
>Not true. EU was getting Shinkawa art until Peace Walker.
I was talking about Japan primarily, but wasn't that MGS4 cover a limited edition?
Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.