[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is mobile such a dirty word amongst "gamers" when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 19
File: Mobile Gaming.jpg (115 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Mobile Gaming.jpg
115 KB, 1280x720
Why is mobile such a dirty word amongst "gamers" when handheld gaming is adored?

Other than the lack of physical controls (which can be fixed, in theory, with a BT pad) I find mobile gaming to be perfectly fine.

While I do like my 3DS, the low res is lacking and it's an ergonomic cluster with its flat buttons and oddly unbalanced top screen. Sony can fuck off with their proprietary memory cards and the Vita.

Mobile gets a bad rap because of companies like Zynga and microtransactions, but there are great games. Look at Monument Valley, Rayman Run, the Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusions sequel. You don't get the same tactile feel, but mobile gaming can be done well.
>>
It can and has been done well, but those are so few and far between it's barely worth mentioning.
>>
>>336973527
pretty much this
>>
>>336973270
>Handheld
>Adored

By eight-year-olds and pokemon autists maybe.
>>
because nothing exists in a vacuum, and the existence of all the shitty shovelware has changed what works and doesn't in that industry.
>>
>>336973270
Because there are only a few gems in a stinking sea of pay2win shit
>>
>>336973270
Name me 1 (one) good mobile game
>>
99.9999% of mobile games consist of the absolute bottom of the barrel dregs that video games as a whole has to offer, there's exceptions but they mainly consist of ports of games from real gaming devices, original mobile titles that are also quality games are even rarer
>>
Because most of the "games" are basically slot machines.
>>
Name five mobile games worth buying.

Hardmode: ONLY original mobile games
>>
File: 1449786712686.gif (976 KB, 245x280) Image search: [Google]
1449786712686.gif
976 KB, 245x280
>>336973270
>handheld gaming is adored
>>
>>336973270
>I find mobile gaming to be perfectly fine
Every mobile game ever is a pay2win shitfest, they limit how much you can do on a game with artificial stuff to make you pay for more digital shit.
Disgusting, fuck off and die.
>>
>>336973743
cytus
rhythm games work very well on mobile
everything else is shit though
>>
Lack of relevant software

With maybe a handful of exceptions, mobile gaming is nothing but P2W shit that stops being fun within minutes, and the few games that aren't that generally handle like shit without an external controller, assuming those games even work with controllers.

The best things on mobile are basically just ports of games from either PC or handhelds, which can already be played on superior platforms.
>>
>>336973949
>rhythm games work very well on mobile
They have horrendous input lag because everyone use touchscreen as input, fuck off.
>>
>>336973743
Sector Strike
Checkmate fag
>>
>>336973270

>handheld gaming is adored

Handheld gaming = shit
Console gaming = shit
>>
>>336974064
>Generic baby's first shooter
You could play Aero Fighters 2 for a game 10 times better.
>>
>>336973270
Mobile is the future of gaming. Less work and far better gross profit. Adapt or die off.
>>
>>336973270

because of this

https://u.pomf.is/qqhtge.webm
>>
I can't really say it's any worse than all the shit on PS2 and Wii and past Nintendo handhelds and the PC game aisle at Wal-Mart.

Shovelware will always be a thing.

But the thing that's annoying with mobile games is the prominence of gacha/scam F2P elements.

It's very difficult to balance how much of the game you can play for free and what you have to pay for. But you pretty much have to do some type of F2P system because there's so much trash that people are rightfully reluctant to spend money on a game that has a high chance of being crap.

A couple of games that work pretty well emulated/ported to phones that I'd be OK with a full mobile version of are the Dragon Quest games and old Megaten games.
>>
File: Galaxy_on_fire_2.jpg (104 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Galaxy_on_fire_2.jpg
104 KB, 960x540
>>336973743
>>
File: rip in peace DK.jpg (202 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
rip in peace DK.jpg
202 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>336974435
I bet you're the same faggot who whines there's no /mobile/ general.
Fuck off shitstain.
>>
>>336973270
Because most mobile games are absolute garbage games with no depth whatsoever.
>>
>>336973270
I dont like mobile "gaming" because every fucking game is flappy X or X run.

I do like a few mobile games though, tetris and chess come to mind.

Why play a mobile game when I can just play a couch or desk game?

>on the go
i have no interest in staring at my phone every where I go
>>
File: RETRY.jpg (66 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
RETRY.jpg
66 KB, 700x394
hardly any mobile games are "deep" enough to be meaningful, theyre just mindless time sinks to help you get through the subway commute

that and its real hard to make a good game when you dont have a controller

that said, sometimes a mindless timesink is all you really want
>>
>>336974056
nah, they really don't
>>
File: Pixel Dungeon.jpg (43 KB, 288x512) Image search: [Google]
Pixel Dungeon.jpg
43 KB, 288x512
No real killer app

>but muh angry birds
just a clone of flash games from the early 00s that itself has already been ported to death
>>
>>336974525
LOL
also
>a fucking leaf
>>
>>336973270
Picture related is why it's a fucking abomination, and can only be remedied by adding a peripheral.
>>
>>336973818
Sword and sorcery
Infinity Blades
Chaos Rings
Monument Valley
Oceanhorn
>>
>>336973270
Everything gaming wise is far superior in every way in actual gaming devices, cuz you know, they're made for that; aside from one-button runners/flyers (flappyshit clones) aren't worth mentioning at all.
>>
File: 1457413000904.jpg (94 KB, 465x600) Image search: [Google]
1457413000904.jpg
94 KB, 465x600
>>336974973
>70 to 120ms input lag isn't bad on rythm games
>>
I download a shit game like Minfrontier or Octopus Evolution and play them for a few days/a week until I'm bored and the next shit game is out. Like I'm guessing most people.
>>
File: muramasa_rebirth10.jpg (1 MB, 1181x1536) Image search: [Google]
muramasa_rebirth10.jpg
1 MB, 1181x1536
>>336973270
Handheld games are designed to the expectations of gamers and they are designed around physical controls.

Phone games are designed to suck as much money out of whales as possible with microtransactions, and they have to be playable without a controller meaning game design has to be dumbed down.

Handheld games offer the kind of rich, engrossing games that are found on consoles and PC. Phone games are designed to be endless grindfests that you try and arbitrarily jump ahead in by paying $1 at a time. You end up spending a similar amount of money for barely any meaningful content.
>>
>>336973270
There's no entry barrier for either players or devs. Result: F2P floods the market.
>>
touch controls
millions of shitty flash-quality games
free to play garbage
>>
>>336973270
Because people give too much credit when a decent mobile game comes out that everyone lauds it as the best thing ever because it seems so great by comparison. See: Laura Croft Go. It's an alright game, but people were calling it amazing and even giving it awards when many games on handhelds are miles better.
>>
>>336973743
Battlecats
>>
>mobile threads
>good games get posted
>they all get ignored because "surely there can be no good games on mobile"
Every time. Your heads are stuck so far up your ass that you just keep refusing to believe mobile has good games.
>>
File: 1453454882312.jpg (57 KB, 362x429) Image search: [Google]
1453454882312.jpg
57 KB, 362x429
>>336973270
Fuck OP, I don't know. You think it might have something to do with the fact that touch controls are dogshit and that 99% of mobile games are phoned in jewey garbage?
>>
>>336976649
Literally no one has posted a good mobile game ever in any thread ever.
Fuck off fucking shill.
>>
>>336976649
but that's the thing, they aren't really all that good, they just seem good because they are so much better than the rest of the shit around them.
>>
>>336973270
Handheld gaming, including the 3DS and Vita is very different from mobile gaming as there are controls that are built specifically FOR gaming, whereas a mobile phone just happens to be a device that is able to play games sometimes.
>>
>>336976827
Is that not how PCs work?
>>
I dislike mobile because so many jap devs are making games for it now instead of console or handheld, and I really hate how old western IPs like this >>336974783 are turned into f2p garbage those IPs should've stayed dead.
>>
>>336976718
>>336976765
What? Infinit blades is a better punch out than punch out itself. Sword and sorcery puts some PC adventure games to shame. Cytus shits on DDR. And that's just the surface.
>>
>>336973743
I've been having fun playing Plants vs Zombies 2 recently, apart from the retarded microtransaction shop, where you could spend like 5 dollars on one plant if you were retarded enough to do so.
>>
File: Terra Battle.jpg (219 KB, 675x900) Image search: [Google]
Terra Battle.jpg
219 KB, 675x900
>>336976649
what id really like is a good mobile platformer

super fucking hard mode: a good 3d platformer
>>
>>336976914
people build rigs specifically made for games for a reason pal, not something that can be done to a smartphone.
>>
>>336976914
The difference is that PCs have mouse and keyboard, peripherals that are much more flexible than a touch screen.

I see where you're coming from, though.
>>
>>336976978
please tell me this is bait.
>>
>>336973270
>Why is mobile such a dirty word amongst "gamers"
v are not gamers
>>
>>336973270
The great majority of mobile games are garbage. Not to mention, even the ones that can be considered good are time wasters that only exist to take money from you. Specially japanese ones.
>>
>>336973270
Because a real enthusiast spends lots of money on either a console or PC.

They want to encourage high quality games for those platforms. Mobile gaming is known for its cheap, cash grab, shitty games.
>>
File: 132465465.jpg (59 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
132465465.jpg
59 KB, 640x480
>>336973743
Super Hexagon. Played the shit out of that.
Organ Trail
Anomaly Korea
Monster Loves You
Ministry of Silly Walks

I'm just naming those that actually are fucking playable with touch-controls.
Add gamepad button to this, and this is the whole new level

Don't listen smug cunts over here - they will slut-shame you for using PC toasters over 500 bucks consoles that only play games at $30+ price tag.

Mobile gaming as vast selection of interesting games, hidden under match-3 shit of a tip of an iceberg
>>
>>336977021
is that game even playable w/o microtransactions?
>>
>>336978265
aside from Super Hexagon, are any of those really all that good? Even super hexagon is better with a keyboard.
>>
>>336976930
To be fair, Japs don't have much choice because their games are usually made for the Japanese market, but like everyone in Japan just plays on mobile now, so console Japanese game players are like a niche of a niche of a niche and no publisher wants to risk losing money when there's not much to gain in exchange.

I wish Japan had an indie scene, I feel like they could make good stuff that's not either pretentious garbage or rehash of 90's games like Western indies.
>>
File: 1459100475485.gif (318 KB, 500x497) Image search: [Google]
1459100475485.gif
318 KB, 500x497
>Mobile gets a bad rap because of companies like Zynga and microtransactions

You answered your own question, fuckass. Cell phone games were a battlefield for cash grabs and rehashes and shitty ports with horrible controls. Actually they still are, I can't count how many times on the train I've seen someone hammering away at the latest "match 3" game with paint job #1725446 with forced pop-ups every 30 seconds.

After 10 years the bullshit percentile has shrunk from 98% to about 60%, but it's still there. Even Pixel Dungeon, the game everyone loves to point at as the legitimate mobile game, is getting hounded by imitators (read: not legitimate mods like Shattered and Sprouted) who shamelessly copy and rebrand it for easy ad revenue. Mobile games have come a long way but there's still a long way to go.
>>
>>336974289
gaming = shit
>>
>>336978575
Not him, but Organ Trail is okay given the obvious source material and such. It's hard to fuck up dysentery. They're both better on PC though.
>>
>>336978575
>are any of those really all that good?

Don't get me wrong - they don't have production values of actual AAA mobile production, as Loco Roco / most of Nintendo IPs, but i enjoyed all of those during my ride on train.

They are Serviceable, at least (but, of course, it is all subjective - if you sneer at anything low cost, wrong-shaped or not branded with your favourite company, then it probably is not for you; if you still didn't lose the taste for exploring new stuff, you can find some good stuff on your mobile)

And, for epic action adventures experience you can always fire up a good old game from selection of old platforms (like, Beyond Oasis on SMD, or Mario RPG on SNES etc)
>>
>>336979169
>And, for epic action adventures experience you can always fire up a good old game from selection of old platforms (like, Beyond Oasis on SMD, or Mario RPG on SNES etc)
on mobile phone, I mean
>>
File: image.png (11 KB, 274x290) Image search: [Google]
image.png
11 KB, 274x290
>>336974783
Fucking plebs couldn't how much EA innovatived the series
>>
>not just having Tower of Hanoi, Minesweeper and Freecell
And crunchyroll for longer commutes, of course.
>>
>>336978741
They do, that's pretty much Doujin. Also stop strawmanning as there's plenty of bad JP game, you have to remember sturgon's law.
>>
Handheld gaming was always something you delt with to play games on the go, it was never the preferred method.

And I like buttons on my games. Touchscreen shit waggle shit "VR" shit please go, give me buttons fuck off.

Its weird that Star Frog Zimbabwe is getting shit on for controls when its pretty much the only time these have worked for me and I loathe them. Meanwhile kids these days playthrough Grand Theft Auto 3 with no buttons and its like... wheres the knockoff for shit controls with that.

Whatever I'm a little altered #canada
>>
None of them are deep or interesting, they're mindless time wasters.

Tower defense games, slot machines, wait for ten hours to upgrade your village. It's all stuff you'd play for five minutes at a time. They're like what flash browser games were in the first half of the last decade.
>>
>>336980075
>they're mindless time wasters.

I considers most of Serious Sam later levels to be mindless time wasters, nevertheless I had fun with the game
>>
They are worse flashgames most of the time and touch is shit for video games
Even the wii has better inputs
>>
>>336975769
Some rhythm have button calibration option for that purpose.
>>
lots of "freemium" games maybe, even more so than team fortress 2
>>
>>336973270
1. They eat through a phone's precious battery life like a fat kid eats through a chocolate bar. I know people who still use separate MP3 players just to save battery life.

2. With the exception of weird Chinese tablets they don't have proper buttons for precise input, with the exception of increasingly rare J2ME devices.

3. So many of the games are the same base-building nonsense that demands a constant stream of gems/diamonds/gold/whatever-the-make-shit-quicker-currency-is.

4. Shoddy shovelware developers whose previous credits are for godawful GBA tie-ins and Famiclone games for those 420-in-1 controllers that go into the TV.
>>
>>336980305
imagine how much fun youd have had with touch controls!
>>
I hate how people use the fact that cellphones are handheld as an excuse for shit quality. Advance Wars, Tactics Ogre KoL and GBA castlevanias beat the shit out of most console games I've ever played.
>>
>>336974435
But insane levels of risk-vs-reward, the market is so saturated the chance of becoming the next Supercell is next to nothing. Even Steam is a more consistent revenue generator.
>>
>>336978376
Oh absolutely, it's really fun too, since each world has decent variety.
>>
File: CgFxaPKW8AA6z_4.jpg (21 KB, 866x426) Image search: [Google]
CgFxaPKW8AA6z_4.jpg
21 KB, 866x426
>>336973270
There's a whole bunch of different things that can be considered dirty:

The same people who have problems with digital console games are going to have their same issues with a phone app store.

Some people complain about price by pointing out the top of the line phone cost without contract (completely ignoring a wifi tablet)

Complaints about needing a contract (again ignoring the wifi tablet market)

Complaining about muh buttons while fondling an anime girl on the Vita's touch screen.

It's not made by Sony or Nintendo

Wanting to avoid "social" things (gaming is a secret club and why are all these FEMALES HERE?)

Looks at the top downloaded games and sees puzzle games, while something like Sonic or GTA is quickly burried

Not realizing that children aren't even playing handheld games anymore and are opting for a malware ridden Minecraft clone because it's free.
>>
>>336975528
I think you misread his post. He said "worth buying".
>>
>decided I'd download Strikers 1945 II and III on phone just to see what it was like
>microtransactions everywhere
>annoying pop-ups
Fuck you psikyo you sellouts.
>>
File: 10421.jpg (25 KB, 425x600) Image search: [Google]
10421.jpg
25 KB, 425x600
Mobiles got a pretty good gyro. It would not be hard to make a "tilt and jump" or a railshooter where you tap to shot.
That said, beyond that, there is a lot of 90% garbage because its basically a open software store, and Microtransactions is a thing.
>>
>>336973270
Because bitches still haven't played Deemo
>>
>>336981180
Risk vs reward is even worse on consoles. Console gaming is far too expensive for anybody to take a risk because people demand AAA titles. Hell, even with AAA titles they're all so derivative now. It's all EA/Activision/Ubisoft/Bethesda cross-platform action shooters/FPS with every other genre underrepresented and lacking. When something new is attempted it's either the annoying 8-bit indie titles or shit on the level of The Order 1886 where they forgot to make a game to go with the glorious visuals.

Mobile gaming is expected to reach $110 billion by 2018 and you have companies like Sega and Blizzard going mobile and PC online gaming. Console gaming isn't going anywhere soon, but more and more developers going mobile is just the reality now.
>>
>>336973270
Why do you lack critical thought?

Mobile has very little native inputs that aren't naturally high in latency. That makes it so you have to appeal to the lowest common denominator to have moderate success, simply due to demographic (operating system, version, phone capability).

I'll let you extrapolate what limits this imposes on certain genres or even feasibility of some games.
>>
File: 1458165718156.jpg (49 KB, 770x528) Image search: [Google]
1458165718156.jpg
49 KB, 770x528
>Mobile games aren't good because I can't play them like my console games

Please don't ruin any good points you have by wrapping them around this retarded logic. We already went through this shit, people.

>Digital distribution is cancer because I can't hold the games in my hand like a CD or cartridge
>>
>>336975138
People like angry birds? I didn't see any replay value on it the day I played it
>>
>>336983750
Ok, well what worthwhile concepts can possibly benefit from being naively smartphone? Social connectivity? shit/oversimplified controls? Zynga-eqsue shit games? enlighten me
>>
>>336973270
It's a platform where shovelware and ripoffs are the name of the game. Why bother putting in effort when you can make it a ripoff of a puzzle game, some variant of base building, or tower defense, throw in microtransactions, and rake in the cash for minimal effort?
>>
Touch only is a godawful control method. There's a reason Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks are commonly thought to be among the worst zelda games.
>>
Most of the games are thing you'd play while on a bus or taking a shit, you don't actually expect depth do you?
>>
>>336984847
Because they are legitimately shitty games?
>>
>>336985158
even without the touch only method those zeldas are garbage
>>
I wish there where more pc ports. Touch screen is perfect for most mouse and keyboard controls.
>>
Anyone remember mobile gaming in the good old Symbian days? No bullshit microtransaction, only fun.

I used to play bunch of Gameloft java games on my Sony Ericsson K750. Good times.
>Gangstar
>Far Cry 2
>Prince of Persia
>Soul of Darkness
>>
>>336984117
The game got meme'd hard so people think the game are cool and shit.
>>
>>336985415
I played Gangstar and FC2 too back then on my phone.
Played it all day long back then because it's fun and cool as fuck.
>>
File: 2016_05_05_11.58.11.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016_05_05_11.58.11.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Is there any good metroidvania clone on android?

Also what games you guys like to play? Any good recommendations? I mostly use ppsspp and drastic to emulate old games, but I want to try what the android has to offer.
>>
>>336984415
Enlighten yourself, faggot. Most of the technology we have today is because of the people who worked to help it find its niche and make it not suck. The people who are already making decent mobile games and apps have already figured it out.
>>
File: GPD-2-.jpg (64 KB, 616x347) Image search: [Google]
GPD-2-.jpg
64 KB, 616x347
because there's no physical gamepad controls for the games.
>>
it is the same reason the Wii is disliked among the "gamer" crowd.

its full of shovelware shit that makes you feel like you were ripped off.
>>
>>336983750
>>Mobile games aren't good because I can't play them like my console games
correct
>Digital distribution is cancer because I can't hold the games in my hand like a CD or cartridge
also correct
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.