[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Over 25s thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54
File: Untitled.png (4 KB, 374x306) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
4 KB, 374x306
How have you found your enjoyment of games changing as you've gotten older, /v/?

Have you started to enjoy different genres, or find that you don't enjoy others as much?

I've found myself becoming less interested in competitive gaming, it just seems pointless as I get older to be honest. On the flipside, I enjoy story-driven, or world-building heavy games a lot more. It seems like less of a waste of a time if you walked away from a game saying something like "I enjoyed the story/characters/world/quests" rather than investing a ton of hours to git gud at something.
>>
Same as always. A variety of games, though never competitive.
>>
I'm the opposite. I found myself getting sucked into the black hole that is DotA 2 and I'm also occasionally playing some CS:GO with buds trying to raise my rank.
>>
I can't play game where the MC is an high school student (basically any jrpg) because I can't relate anymore.
>>
>>336852065
I only play Splatoon now.
>>
Same as you OP.

Last thing I really loved recently was that Witcher 3 DLC.
>>
My taste has remained the same and I have mostly dropped singleplayer games altogether. Can't stand jRPGs which were mainstays for me.

Still played ranked modes exclusively when they're available. My rating in all games has decayed considerably, and I'm more open to playing with friends now because I know I wont reach my previous peak.
>>
>>336852461

Is Splatoon still alive? I was thinking of picking it up.
>>
>>336852065
I found that I like the adventure genre way more than actually the skill-based games. That is, now I play Dungeons and Dragons. I now play fighting games like Monster Hunter and Guilty Gear, though.
>>
I love competition, but I find my ability degrades by the week and it kills me inside. Cripes, once upon a time in Monster Hunter threads past, I was one of /v/'s premier gunners. I could do just about anything in MHFU with just about any weapon and could even naked gun several things. Now, even with these newer and easier Monster Hunter games, my skill has degraded enough that I'm constantly screwing small things up (though I'm also very convinced that there's some input delay on the 3DS games) and it's embarrassing.
I've also become more fond of puzzles in games. I'm sure ten years ago I would've rather killed myself instead of playing Soul Reaver, but nowadays I love the little puzzles strewn about (in addition to everything else that makes Soul Reaver phenomenal) and having to look at something from a few different angles to figure it out.
>>
File: 1453062681359.jpg (110 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1453062681359.jpg
110 KB, 1280x720
>>336852065
>How have you found your enjoyment of games changing as you've gotten older, /v/?

39 here, and I've been enjoying games nowadays more and more. Get a new hobby if this one bites so much.
>>
>>336852657
Funny you should say that, I got into actual tabletop D&D only a couple of years ago (I'm 28 now).
>>
I like stealth games now. Couldn't stand them before.
I've been playing the Thief series and it kinda feels like it was designed for a mature audience anyway.
>>
>>336852065
I am twentyfive turning 26 in July 30th and I find it best when people are watching me play a game. I dunno why but it gives me such a good feeling when people are actually watching me. Some random lucky asshole who had way to much luck in gathering PC games. Also....I like to give a couple of Nintendo Wii U games to folks.

What I have is Freedom Planet (will give that out during a Twitch stream)
Shantae and the Pirates Curse
Affordable space adventures and Swords and Soilders 2.
>>
>>336852690
I used to play TFC back in the day, I'm talking well over 10 years ago. Probably like.. 15 years ago come to think of it, even though I was 13 I played in a top-tier clan in my country.

Perhaps the skill ceiling for MP games was lower then, but I don't think I could get as good as I was then without a massive time investment I can't possibly replicate with work commitments (and long term girlfriend etc).
>>
Less playing more into the news these days hoping something brings back that I'll stand in a Gamestop line(I wouldn't I'd download it) at midnight for it type of hype. Hardly ever any PvP anymore. Just looking for more jolly cooperation offerings to play with my brother and two cousins. The Division, Destiny ,and GTA were/arr those games bit I'm queasy burnt out on them. Single player games have to be really good to me for me to want to see them to the end. I'm no longer anywhere near a completionist when it comes to collectables or achievements. I summon most of the time in Dark Souls. Turning 30 made me a casual.
>>
>>336852762
Thief's environmental storytelling is unparalleled. Such a shame what happened to the latest release.
>>
my teen years were full of the competition scene and i hate to see what it has become, so there's none of that there for me anymore

i play significantly less games than i used to, and almost no multiplayer (unless it's with established online friends i've had for over 15 years now)

honestly the most entertainment i'm getting is out of 2d platformers
i got EXTREMELY BAD at this type of game, and have no idea why, but i'm having a riot trying to clear these games that i used to rock at as such a small child

my quake skills never left me, i'm still someone that could play competitively there, but god DAMN mario, i don't know how to get you out of that quicksand anymore
>>
I've become a lot less interested in video games. I rarely touched video games for the last few years. I always enjoyed challenging games, but now prefer more casual experiences.
It's good in a way because I've been able to enjoy games I hated in the past for being too shallow or easy
>>
Reading this thread comforts me.
Now I know why I don't enjoy video games anymore.

The last game I played that I truly enjoyed was Firewatch and that's just because it felt like a movie than a video game.

Currently studying and on break, lucky enough to live off of inheritance so I can afford to just do nothing if uni's out. Thought I was going to be spending this year playing vidya but I just can't bring myself to enjoy video games anymore.
>>
>>336853321
>Now I know why I don't enjoy video games anymore.

Why don't you?
>>
>>336852065
Exactly 25 and if anything I'm enjoying it more than every as I can finally afford to build PCs with current gen cards powerful enough to run anything. Only thing is poor internet for online games, can't fix that without expatriating..
>>
I know people knock the whole movie-game thing and apply it to just about anything from Witcher to Halo but I've realized the most fun I've had playing video games when I was younger was when I had the feeling of being immersed in a fictional world, a few titles come to mind instantly here: Baldur's Gate, Grim Fandango, Homeworld, Little Big Adventure etc.

Another thing I can't understand with the youngsters these days is this whole "I like X genre but hate Y genre".

Was this always a thing? I don't understand this form of autism, to me when I used to play games regularly I'd love it regardless of whether it was Civ or Doom 3.
>>
Can't beat the old classic SNES and other games from the classic/retro consoles. If the Mainstream releases make you feel meh. Try going back and play something like Super Metriod or Super Mario World.
Then you would feel that time invested in a game is worth it because of all the hidden shit you could find.
>>
>>336852065
i still enjoy the occasional new game, but they are so few and far between that i've stopped buying new consoles and upgrading my computer altogether
>>
>>336853643
I was never into Nintendo games as a kid, I grew up on an Acorn 3000 and later a PC, then a playstation alongside a decent PC.
>>
>>336853356
Life is catching up and even if you're a NEET fag, you'll still think new games are shit cause you can't take your nostalgia goggles off and or you think your skills aren't enough for games that you think are good so you shitpost about it being bad.

These are all excuses if you think about it, it's just that we're getting old. Most of us only have this one hobby and nothing else, so we're probably burnt out.
>>
>>336852065
I just want Nintendo to be great again.
I want more&better Metroid style games.
I want more&better Mario 64 style games.
I want more&better Starfox style games.
I want more&better Zelda.
I want more&better Pikmin.
I want more&better Mega Man.
I want more&better Castlevania.
I want more&better Metroid Prime style games.
I want more&better Earthbound style games.
I want more&better Isometric RPGs

Every genre I want, is either dead, dying, or spoiled. I'm unsatisfied, and don't know what to do about it.
>>
>>336853573
I'm probably older than you and I never liked fighters. To me they feel purely competitive with no actual content. The only ones I've ever enjoyed somewhat have single player campaigns, and even then, unless it's more of a brawler than a fighter, I just don't like it
>>
Taste is relatively the same. I don't buy shitty JRPG's as often.. and can mostly patiently wait for sales now instead of impulse buying them at $60 when they're only worth like $30 at most.

Mostly just play big titles now.. it's just, "Play this hyped AAA title for a month, wait for the next one to come out" .. I wish I had something to play right now. After beating DS3 I got nothing. Thinking about hitting up The Division again...
>>
>>336853746
Have you guys tried picking up other forms of entertainment?

By far and away my favorite form of entertainment these days is reading.
>>
>>336853727
If you get a chance. Try them. Emulate the Gameboy advance/Color games like Legend of Zelda Oracle of ages and Seasons and Links awakening.
Charm and immersion in a fantasy world is quite nice.
If thats not your thing. Puzzle/Platformer games are aplenty.

I just wish Intellegent software would make another Advance Wars game.
>>
>>336853643
Oh crap this.
I can't even beat the Box on Megaman 4 anymore.
>>
>>336853796
Theres bloodstained and I am sure Iga is not going to pull a Keiji Inafune on us. Plus Bigger then SOTN?

Thats dedication.

Unless if your talking about the classic side scrolling time based Castlevanias...Dunno Konami is dead in their tracks from what I can tell. Stock prices are down and their Gambling Machines are the only things keeping them affloat. But not for long.
>>
>>336853849
I enjoy movies, animation and books too.
I consume alot of these but video games are still my favorite form of entertainment and it saddens me how I'm not even excited about it anymore.
>>
My taste in games has changed a lot as I've aged. I used to primarily play long, story-driven RPGs. Now I become impatient and drop games if it takes too long to walk places, or if the game's text is too slow, etc.

When it comes to single player games I pretty much only play roguelikes and roguelites these days. I think it's because you can just jump in and play and constantly be doing stuff, whether you play for 5 minutes or for several hours. If I'm to play something that's not a roguelike/lite, it'll typically only happen if it's part of a long running franchise that I enjoy like Monster Hunter.

From a multiplayer perspective I play Smash Bros with friends a lot and I want to get back into an FPS, but nothing has piqued my interest for a long time. I played TF2 from 2007-2014 but I've not found something to replace it yet. Maybe I won't until TF3, who knows.

tl;dr: I get impatient with games that feel too slow paced now that my free time is far more limited, so I only enjoy games where you can just jump in and be doing something immediately.
>>
>>336852642
It's extremely alive. 26 on the 30th and its one of the few games I currently play.
>>
27 here.

I don't have the goddamn time for competitive gaming. Getting competitively good at a multiplayer game takes too much time. Even when I did have the time for that shit, I preferred single-player games.
>>
I've gone from loving strategy and turn based rpg's to loving action rpg's and survival games. I never play strategy or stealth games anymore.
>>
>>336853994
I wasn't meaning 'I COULDN"T BEAT THEM" in a figurative way. I mean I was saying along the lines that in that Era. Gaming was unique and different.
>>
>>336854182
I love strategy games, but holy fuck they're a huge time investment - at least the Total War/Civ/EU TBS kind.
>>
>>336852065
Pushing 30 here,
Competitive games are the only thing I still find fun. Single player experiences were all designed to be beaten.

As a whole, I don't enjoy videogames anymore, I just play them because it's what I've always done.

It's nice being able to easily afford any console/game/rig, but it leads to a daunting backlog.
>>
>>336852065
I've always been more into single player games like RPGs anyway, so that.
I still crave long as fuck games and love them, I clocked 130 hours on XCX.
HAHA LETS EAT TATSU XDDD
I mostly play multi like Mario Kart or Sm4sh with friends, or the occasional ASSFAGGOTS with my boyfriend for mindless fun.
>>
>>336854049
I didn't necessarily mean more to mean bigger in scale. I meant more as in making new games.
But I think SotN would benefit from a few extra areas. The game does feel rather small. Even considering the inverted castle.
>>
25 year old here.
There was a weird period between 19 and 23-ish? When I felt like games were getting really boring and generally a huge waste of time. Now I'm loving them more than ever before. I can actually get sucked into playing a game for hours and hours once again.
>>
>>336853746
Dude, it's not like you have a time consuming job, and you're living off fucking inheritance, most people have it way harder.

Make use of that time you have, find new hobbies, hit the gym. Fuck, if only I had the time you had. I'm a chef, I manage to stay healthy and /fit/ but it's hard as it is.
>>
>>336854431
Well I do live off of money I didn't earn but I'm using it to get a degree, and when schools in I barely have time for vidya.
>>
>>336853849
I do read more, been reading a lot of Jules Verne.
>>
>>336854431
Fuck the whole Wage Slave life is the main life style.
I'm a Marxist and I believe that what you can do with your time will bring you the most happiness. Not Limited $ forced on you from corporal assholes.
>>
>>336854261
The closest I'de get to strategy is something like Mount and Blade or X Albion Prelude.
>>
>>336852065

i feel as if im enjoying then now more than i did before. i went many a year when i was younger where i had no interest in them after being interested for a long time.
>>
>>336852065
ya, i try new genres out like adventure and puzzle games and i tend to enjoy those now. i have almost lost all interest in fps games which was my favorite thing as a kid. I still play rpg's.
>>
>>336854736
>Slave
I enjoy my job, but it's a busy one.
Also, everything costs money, go figure.
>gym
money
>vidya
Money
>traveling
Money
Unless happiness to you means picking flowers all day, but that probably involves a cost too.
>>
>>336852657
>fighting games like Monster Hunter
>>
File: 1438474024609.jpg (298 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1438474024609.jpg
298 KB, 1000x1000
I mostly just play older games now, pic related

I am pretty excited for FF15 though
>>
>>336855065
>traveling

to me thats a waste of A LOT of money. im happy where i am. but to each their own.
>>
My taste has stayed has stayed the same for like 15 years now, I'm practically the vidya version of omnivore who can find fun in pretty much anything, let it be brainless AAA action, grognard strategy, JRPGs, competitive gaming or whatever one could possibly imagine. But there are certainly some changes that come from the fact that I just can't play as much anymore as I could when I were younger.

>I just can't enjoy competitive vidya like I used to. Because I have such a limited time to play vidya, I would have to dedicate practically all my time to a one game if I wished to stay sharp in something like CS or Starcraft. Of course skill-based MM could find other equally rusty or new players to play against, but it's not just the same.
>Huge RPGs used to be my favorite genre and they still kinda are, but it's somewhat hard to convince myself to start games that last for some 80 hours. I have stuff like Xenoblade, Persona 4 and Witcher 3 in my backlog and I really would like to play them, but it just seems really daunting to begin them. Of course it's not like I couldn't play them at a slow pace, but I still can't shake the feeling.
>>
File: 1435648283780.jpg (48 KB, 385x532) Image search: [Google]
1435648283780.jpg
48 KB, 385x532
29 here. My enjoyment is about the same, save for the wonder I had as a kid. Used to play competitive games, go to tourneys, play mmos etc. Nowadays I just enjoy lengthy single player games, starting to really get back into arcade games (good for jump in/out, my younger bro and I are considering building a cabinet), and I'll occasionally hop on a new multiplayer game.

Starting to feel old as fuck though. Had a fun fight club in DS3 and we were in group chat. The guy hosting it had to bail and said "Got class tomorrow guys. Gonna be finished with HS soon!".

I guess I should be happy that technology allows such a wide range of people to connect. Still, it's a reminder of how I'm not getting any younger. I remember losing my mind getting to play Dreamcast online.
>>
>I've found myself becoming less interested in competitive gaming, it just seems pointless as I get older to be honest.
It's the opposite for me. But maybe that's because I spent my youth playing Quest of Feels shit that I no longer have the patience for it.
That said, Dark Souls is the stupidest piece of shit I've ever seen and makes truly believe this new generation is full of autismal retards.
>>
>>336852701
/thread
>>
>>336852065
I'm well past my 20s and have maybe an hour or two a week to play games. Competitive online games? No time for that shit anymore, sad to say.

Getting older sucks.
>>
30, don't really enjoy games anymore. Kind of having a mid life crisis and things I enjoyed as a kid are no longer enjoyable.

There are still a few games I enjoy but they have to be special. When I was a kid literally any game was fun, now I am picky beyond belief.
>>
File: image.jpg (197 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
197 KB, 720x960
The biggest differences is as a teenager most of my vidya was MMOs, Counter Strike, and multiplayer Cawwadoody, and I've no interest in any of those now. I prefer single player games that I play at my own pace, usually RPGs.
>>
File: stronghold(1).png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
stronghold(1).png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>over 250 games in Steam library
>do pic related instead
>>
26 here, I still enjoy my vidya but I don't get the thrill of a new game like I used to
>>
>>336852065
27 and despite working 2 jobs 6-7 days a week still loving video games, possibly more than ever
>>
>>336855319
>Dark Souls is the stupidest piece of shit I've ever seen and makes truly believe this new generation is full of autismal retards.

Why?

I do hate the way some people treat it as the 'hardest game series ever' or some hardcore badge upon completion, but I really enjoy the series. It has issues but it's a nice change of pace and I enjoy the atmosphere of the games.

That being said, I am glad they're supposedly taking a break after 3.
>>
25 approaching 26 here, my tastes have pretty much stayed the same. I have a fondness for retro games, and I never ever believe in the saying "_____ aged poorly." I cant stand when someone ridicules an older game for graphics. I love my ps4 though, and am working my way through Dark Souls 2.

Favorite genres are platformer, action rpg, and shmup (even if I'm not that great at shmups)
>>
>>336852065
I find myself incapable of playing stuff like assassins creed and far cry and stuff. I feel like it's purely a checklist of.l chores. Shitty thing is I want to be able to play those and have fun, but I think I'm too autistic at this point. Other than that i still have a great time with vidya
>>
>>336855891
It looks like a shitty dungeon crawler from the early 2000s which could be forgivable if the gameplay wasn't wonky as fuck and based off of trial and error and RNG bullshit.
Maybe the only cool thing about it is invasions but you're pretty shit out of luck if you don't have internet.
>>
>>336856085
This was main gripe with The Witcher 3. Fortunately The Witcher 3 also has some really meaty quests to enjoy, but yeah, games like Far Cry that are just a checklist of unexplored locations to go and do some random thing in are tiring now. Boring.
>>
>>336856031

I love retro too, but early 3D did age pretty poorly. I love the N64/PS1/SAT but some of those games are just rough to play now.

>shmups

Oh hell yes. I just finished Radiant Silvergun and I'm working on Ikaruga now. The genre has stayed a favorite of mine since childhood.
>>
>>336852065
I've found my gaming preference has been slowly changing. I still love the games I grew up with and I'm always looking for a new experience but I find myself more cautious with new purchases.

I don't have to run out and buy every game that comes out. I'm happy to wait for reviews before going in. I developed a massive backlog and have been slowly making my way through it. The best part about waiting is that I can get really good games on the cheap after a year or so.

I've also found myself more drawn towards games that I can pick up for a round and then put down. I love ROGs and story driven games but I really struggle to find the time to sink dozens of hours into a single game like I did when I was teenager.
>>
File: gitgudfaggot.png (63 KB, 220x200) Image search: [Google]
gitgudfaggot.png
63 KB, 220x200
>>336855319
>>336856236

Pic related, faggot.
>>
37 here, my taste in games has been pretty much the same ones since I started to play video games, the only change is that now I dont spend days grinding in JRPG's since I just stop caring and go play something else.

Funny thing: I still love to play as the same day I started to, the thing I really hate is community in general, from the "this is no charity" midset of developers to the "PC piracy when?" of the consumers the whole industry seems to be filled with retards
>>
>>336856290
Yeah, same here. Tw3 took me like half a year to beat simply because I'd do a big meaningful quest, it'd end and id go back to side quests and lose interest. That game feels like it's the same as those other games but of a much higher quality.
>>
>>336852065
>How have you found your enjoyment of games changing as you've gotten older, /v/?
I care less about actual series/licenses and more about just dicking around with other peeps.

>Have you started to enjoy different genres, or find that you don't enjoy others as much?
Finding that I'm not enjoying games as much, as I work a full time job, study part time and exercise 4 days a week. I just want to get involved in multi player games honestly.

Oddly enough I'm enjoying being more competitive in games more. CS GO seems to be good, as it combines playing with other guys and having a good time too.
>>
>>336852065

Other than RTS games I pretty much only play first person games now. For me the third person view is vestigial. It only exists because games were first made in a time when first person was next to impossible, or the hardware was too primitive to do it well.
>>
>>336852461
I fucking hate video games now, nearly everything is the fucking same shit I've already played rehashed over and over getting praised again and again by the successively younger generations playing them.
>>
>>336856236

Huh, I like dungeon crawlers though.

>wonky as fuck
The games can be rough around the edges but I've never really felt it was wonky save for rare odd combat situations or weapon interactions. Getting bounced by arrows in Anor Londo was awful though.
>trial and error
Traps, mimics and ambushes are annoying but I never felt that they were unfair or overdone. Proceeding cautiously will usually benefit you a great deal. And bosses are bosses. Get their pattern and weakness and gear up some good defense.
>RNG
Other than gear/drops, how does this come into play?

I'll agree that online definitely has been a big part of the game for me. It's not game breaking to go solo but you will miss out on a lot of potential fun.

Dunno what else to say. Hope you'll give the series another go but if not that's cool. You're entitled to your opinion.
>>
Everything seems like shit lately.

There are several games I'm looking forward to this year but none of them are out yet, and then there's the whole Nintendo fiasco where they basically abandoned the Wii U a year early and won't even reveal NX details to tide us over.

I keep trying to get into some of my backlog but I can't find myself interested in anything right now. The state of everything is just way too depressing
>>
I used to obsess over one game at a time. Especially fighting games. Then I realized that once a new one comes along, all that old knowledge is dumped and replaced. Vicious cycle.

I was jaded for a while, some games brought me back from that.

Last game I beat was Dark Souls 3. Before that was either MH4U or New Little Kings Story.

I still prefer varied genres, always have.

As for the story driven point, I don't think I have a tendency to seek them out, but rather they've been trending for about 5 years and have been really good. I'll get Uncharted 4 because I enjoy those.
>>
>>336856517
>another meme addicted shithead

Thanks for proving my point faggot.
Go back to your pickle pee thread.
>>
File: 1461330213471.jpg (21 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
1461330213471.jpg
21 KB, 500x381
31 here, my interest started vanishing when I was 22, but I kept going out of sheer inertia.

I still claim gen 7 killed my interest in gaming, it was so fucking atrocious it made me realize how quickly and mercilessly good things you love can get ruined. First gen I could afford to be idort, never played so little out of a gen.

I tried extending the lifespan by thingken "maybe I just need better grafekx on retrogaming" so I assembled a sandy bridge machine in 2011. Nothing, I've beaten like four emulated games (took me a decade to even care about SoTC). I have several hundred gigabytes worth of shit, zelda with textures or whatever the fuck weebshit for PS2 and DC. Nothing.

Even on the more relevant games, played DSouls at launch, then stopped at the first bell of Dark, not because it's a bad game or too hard but because I literally could not care less. Same for Witcher (stopped at 1), Ninja Gaiden (2), DMC (didn't even beat 4 let alone Donte).

>>336856085

Skipped the entirety of those series, and I skipped most of the major western series in general, as I literally NEVER cared for most of those. I liked the first Uncharted even though it stayed one year in the wrap before I played it, then I beat 2 and I was done with the series. Yakuza also, played 1-3 then quit during 4 and never looked back. I don't even know why I beat Max Payne 3, fun gunplay but halfway it got stale and repetitive. Maybe because pc has no tps. I do look forward to Shenmue III but not to Trico, I don't care for it.

>>336856783

Stopped quests too whereas I used to 100% everything (the last game I ever platinumed was Graces F, four years ago, last PS3 game I played before selling the console), except now some games I don't even beat. I preferred to go back and play BoFIII rather than beat ToZ, now I'm sort of playing Lunar instead of Weebtunia.
>>
File: 1449866862079.png (671 KB, 500x773) Image search: [Google]
1449866862079.png
671 KB, 500x773
>26

My vidya taste remains mostly the same, except my competitive taste has switched from FPSs to fighters, which I didn't really like before. I actually travel with a group to compete now.

However, my enjoyment of other vidya is almost theoretical at this point. I barely play anything else, and yet I keep buying games that just go straight to my backlog. I think I bought like 5 games for the last PS3 flash sale, a month or so ago and I was siper hyped about it. I haven't started one yet.

That being said, I picked up Operation Raccoon City for $4 two days ago when I went to see Civil War with my crew. Going to start it shortly. Can't be as bad as I've heard.
>>
Lately I find myself looking for indie games and small scale passion projects along with classics I missed from 2-4 generations ago.
I don't understand why a game can catch so much flak from /v/ for being indie.
>>
File: 1462521727290.png (389 KB, 512x368) Image search: [Google]
1462521727290.png
389 KB, 512x368
>>336857265
>Gen seven killed my interest in gaming
Same here.
>>
I like rpgs fighting games and hack and slash

When I was 16 I liked shitty ass fps and jumpscare tier horrors
>>
>>336852424
they're all the same fucking game anyhow
>>
>>336856236
Holy shit. I thought I was alone in thinking Dark Souls was overrated. I forced myself to beat Dark Souls 1 (had to do it all offline because online wasn't working for the DS3 release or whatever) just so people couldn't say "looks liek someone got rekt by dark souls xd". I am a fucking idiot.

Maybe it's because I'm older. I just don't get the "hard for the sake of being hard" thing that Dark Souls has. I feel like the controls are crap and that I was fighting them more than the enemies. It was also a lot of trial and error and that's kind of dumb.
>>
>>336856236

>It looks like

It literally is, it's a reboot of King's Field with third person camera.
>>
I don't feel like playing games very often anymore, but when I do, I play like ten hours straight. I also feel like I need to have enough time to enjoy playing the game, if I can only play for like two hours I won't even bother

As for the games, I've been going through old classics. Mainly because I only have a PS3 and a weak laptop, on the other hand I don't know what new games I would really even be playing. Everything seems so derivative and boring

Also I never seem to finish games anymore. I'll play them for a while, have a good time but then I'll just drop it for no reason. I think I started playing Planescape in like 2012, haven't touched it in a year probably since I got a new machine and didn't bother installing it yet. Always fun going back to it and having no idea what I was doing last
>>
Finished TW3 but now Squad is the only game I play atm.
>>
>>336855319
>Dark Souls

It isn't hard, it just puts pressure on the player more than most modern games. Old games are much harder, especially ones that require memorization of enemies like Contra, Shinobi, etc.

I like them because of the atmosphere and I'm a sucker for the art style that they push for. It all comes together to make a fun experience. Some of the best boss intros in any game come from Souls.
>>
28 here.
The biggest change I've noticed is that, now that I have a job, I'm much more contious about what games I play and when, and how I divy up my time. I don't buy games that I might play maybe, if I'm buying a game, I damn well better finish it. I don't have the time or money to just while away anymore.

Also, though I used to LOVE them, I can't fucking stand games that don't have some kind of hard end. Like MMOs, or Minecraft, or games like that. Can't stand them, don't understand the people who can.
Also, basically any game where I have to grind to progress. JRPGs are the worst. I know a lot of people who are huge into games like Disgaea, and I just can't be bothered. I don't have as much time as I used to, and I really want to feel like I can make tangible progress every time I sit down and play.
>>
>>336857632
I can't remember much trial and error from my first playthrough
>>
>>336852065
Biggest change is not playing FPS games anymore.
I blame that on the new ones being shit
>>
I'm totally uninterested in games with real-world settings and a real world feel (think GTA) for the most part, unless they're historical.

I basically immerse myself in anything that's sci-fi or fantasy. I just enjoy the concept of being in these worlds a lot more. I find the humor in GTA childish too, it desperately wants to be seen as some adult, cutting edge social commentary thing but it's just not funny.
>>
>>336857265
>>336857542
It ALMOST got me too.

I bought the 360 because Gears was praised as the second coming and Halo was somewhat relevant. Super jaded after that.

Then PS3 and the no games meme along with MGS4 being very questionable.

Luckily I found a shit ton of enjoyment in Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls, and even God of War 3, which was enough to keep me going.
>>
>used to love long games
>dream about games being 500+ hours long
>the idea now is utterly repulsive
I can rarely stand to play a game that's longer than 20 hours. Anything longer is usually *extremely* repetitive/grindy or has lots of filler content like fetch quests where you get item for person and have to walk huge distances to do it with no fast travel.

I also feel like I'm not falling for the illusion anymore. Like whenever there's a fetch quest or you have to kill an arbitrary amount of enemies to advance to the next screen, I see it for what it is, a time sink. They're forcing you to be there or do that to pad the game's length and that's all it is

What I crave more than anything these days is novelty, something I actually haven't seen before, which is incredibly rare. Alternatively, something I've seen a million times before but is different enough (or has a huge graphical face lift) can convey a similar sense of novelty but not as strong
>>
>>336857632
>I just don't get the "hard for the sake of being hard" thing that Dark Souls has.

There's your problem right there.

Dark Souls isn't hard for the sake of being hard.

Yes, it's a difficult game, but it's difficult at the service of being immersive and atmospheric. It's a game that forces you to slow down and be observant, at first so you don't get caught by traps, and later so you notice small details that really show how much detail there is in that universe.

That's what really helped me break through my "Dark Souls is bullshit!" wall: Realizing that it's not trying to punish me, it's trying to tell me to stop and sniff the roses.

It's difficult in the exact same ways and for the exact same reasons as games like Super Metroid.
>>
>>336858280
>I bought the 360 because Gears was praised as the second coming and Halo was somewhat relevant. Super jaded after that.

Weird. I'm 29 and I have fond, fond memories of all the Halo games, 1-3 and thought Gears 1 was a ton of fun.

Also primarily a PC gamer so don't pull the consolefag card. I can still remember being impressed by how Gears 1 looked, even by PC standards.

Current gen is a tiny step up by comparison.
>>
>>336857479
Not mommy
>>
31 or 32 reporting in, games these days piss me off by being lazy, artificially locked off, handholdy, arms-inside-the-cart michael-bay setpieces.

I dont think I've outgrown games, its that games got shitty over the last ~10 years, thanks to it becoming a profitable industry driven by people who no longer care about what they make, and consumers who are too pleb to know what they're missing out on by being satisfied with shit
>>
>>336858393
>Dark souls is difficult
>Super Metroid is difficult
I think you might be retarded anon, that or a born and bred casual.
>>
I still think a big problem with games is that the writing is shit.

I can remember playing Lost Odyssey and being amazed at the quality of the Thousand Years of Dreams segments in terms of the stories they told. Then I found out a novelist had written them.

Why are games still using fan-fiction tier writers?
>>
>>336858719

Metroid are like the megaman games, games that are hard more due the fact you have to time your shooting than anything else.

It's like the Ninja Gaiden games on the nes, the hard part was jumpattack.
>>
Online gaming is terrible because I have no patience for ragers and trolls these days. I tend to play singleplayer action games like Bayonetta which have high, compact enjoyment and don't touch open world gaming because it feels like a quantity over quality in game form.
>>
>>336858719
If you didn't think Super Metroid was difficult the first time you played it, ESPECIALLY if the first time you played it was when it first came out, then you're lying.

OR, you're a good player, in which case, you shouldn't be having trouble with Dark Souls either, so what are you complaining about?
>>
I'm 26, and my tastes haven't changed that much. Basically the kinds of games I liked when I was younger I still like, but there are a few other genres that I never really cared much before and now I enjoy. I really got into fighting games, not to the point that I play competitively, but I do follow the scene and play a considerable amount.

But honestly, my problem nowadays is time. I still enjoy playing games, but I definitely don't play as much as I used to. Not only because of school/work, but also because with time I got into another hobbies that also take time.

I have been playing Dark Souls 3 since the day it was released and I don't think I have 5 hours on the game yet. I think I beat like 4 bosses so far, something like that.
>>
>>336858678
This.

Modern games have no challenge.

Multiplayer games have fucking high skill floors and low/moderate skill ceilings. I find teammates are dumber than ever.

Everything is casualized.

I'm 28.
>>
>>336858896
I played Super Metroid as a kid and I feel like the pirate boss kicked my ass a few times but not enough that I felt stuck on him, and other than that I just don't remember any real difficulty. The game was time consuming in that I didn't know where to necessarily go or what to do, and that's all most games are these days. If you follow through with the motions, they're not hard, just time consuming. DaS is no different
>>
>>336858880
Mega man is more about timing dodging, movement, and then shooting at least from the games I've played.

>>336858896
Yep, I never thought it was difficult because I am not a casual like yourself. Sorry mate, you sound like you just suck at video games.
>>
I'm 46 years old.
>>
>>336852065
I went from Japanese games to competitive.
>>
I play way less than I used to and not just out of lack of time. I refuse to play games that are complete timesinks. Between age 18 and 25 I spent a lot of time playing either MMOs or MOBAs starting with DaoC and DotA.

These days I just enjoy playing things that really catch my interest somehow, it used to be that I played all the things I felt I "needed" to play, because it was the new hot shit discussed on here or what not.
>>
>>336852065
35 here
I've strayed from FPS and have come to enjoy RTS more. Also point and click adventures.

I stopped getting into 3rd person action years ago.
>>
>>336859242
What's it feel like to know you are going to die before you get to see true virtual reality video games, and long before the best games ever made are made?
>>
>>336859191
Aaaaaaand out comes the e-peen. Gotta have one in every discussion.
>>
>>336852065

I'm 32 and have been into indie games for a while now. I like rogue lites like spelunky and nuclear throne.
>>
>>336859382
I want video games to become like the movie "gamer"
>>
>>336859382

VR is a gimmick to make up for games being shit. It's literally like a super Wiimote.
>>
I'll play whatever, I just can't stand loading screens like I used to. I have a few games on console that I haven't finished but I just can't sit through all that loading. Ssd is it for me
>>
>>336857290
This guy again. God damn it, I'm 5 minutes in. The cover system is utter garbage and it's a fucking cover shooter.
>>
>>336859382
If I'm actually talking with you right now, then it means neither of us make it to the technological singularity
>>
>>336852762
Literally me senpai. Enjoying Dishonored, Thief, Hitman games. Even Mark of the Ninja.
>>
29. First person shooters are unplayable. I like 3rd person adventures now. Long story rich games. I play maybe 3 hours a day if I feel like it. Some days I can't even think about vidya.
>>
>>336852065
30 here. I still play a lot of genres I used to like fps and action games but with the slightly slower reflexes and not being able to play too much due to injuries I also started to enjoy turn-based a whole lot more

also I don't give a shit if I win or lose anymore
>>
>>336859412
>It's e-peen waving to not be complete shit at video games
Again I'm sorry you suck at video games anon, but you got to stop pretending that because of your low skill level every video game you have trouble with is "objectively" difficult.
>>
>>336859474
Well what do you expect? Games are getting boring. There are only a small handful of types of games. The shit is getting old. They need something to spice up the immersion.

Are you telling me that the change from black and white to color in movies was a gimmick?
>>
>>336852065
36, still enjoy competitive gaming, mostly figting games though.

I find myself playing old arcade type of games, I dont like story driven games, I prefer games you can quickly pick up and play and try to get better at them, to get better scores
>>
>>336859521
Yeah I know ;_;

>>336859474
Read the post again bub, carefully this time.
>>
>>336859664

No, because that was a lack of something necessary, playing HL2 in VR is not necessary, the game is what it is and what you're adding is a smokescreen.

VR is nothing but malibu stacy with a hat.jpg
>>
Not sure if it's age or just having played enough vidya, but I cannot fucking stand open world collectathons anymore
>>
>>336852065
I'm 18 can I post in this thread?
>>
>>336859852
Of course, you are older than the majority of /v/ after all
>>
>>336859852
Can you? Yes. May you? No.
>>
Turning 28 next week. I still love my vidya, but I've drifted away from the long, non linear, expansive 40+ hour long games (besides the souls series I suppose), and tend to play the quick, pick up and have some instant fun games, like NT, Gungeon, Rocket League, or fast match casual shooters that I can play a round or two and call it a day. Both overwatch and battle born have scratched that itch lately.

I'm pretty sure it's because I don't game a lot of time for gaming between a 50+hr work week, and my other not vidya hobbies. Trying to get into some game that requires a significant time investment is just too much. Which is a shame, because I want to replay FF7 before the remake comes so it's fresh in my mind, but damn is the traditional jrpg pacing killing me.
>>
>>336859792

You actually feel your life goin down the drain. It's like welp, I'll never have that time back.
>>
>>336859792
I kinda felt like this when I replayed Spyro. It's still a nice game and the levels are cool, but running around collecting all the gems felt like a chore. On the other hand it gave an incentive to fully explore the levels, I couldn't even remember some of the secrets
>>
Play games less, but I can finally do what I wanted, which is play fighting games on a competitive basis. Back in high school I loved the games, but couldn't go out for tournaments despite knowing where locals were.

Somehow I'm less social online though and just don't want to communicate with random people online anymore so I just don't care as much about cooperative online games and making friends through them.
>>
>>336859984

>I want to replay FF7 before the remake comes

I actually started playing it for the first time recently. But I haven't touched it in like two weeks I think, I'm still on disc 1. But based on the little I've played of it, I think it seems like one of the better FF games I've played. I just don't feel like actually playing it
>>
Quit playing games at 28 but still come here daily to fling shit. I'm 32. Why can't I quit you?
>>
27 year old NEET, the only games I've played in the past few months are CS:GO, Path of Exile and Stardew Valley. If we go back 1 year the list only gets bigger by a few games, Dwarf Fort, Shogun 2, The Witcher 3, Insurgency, and Shadowrun Hong Kong, maybe 1 or 2 others I've forgotten.

I only really get 1 or 2 full price new releases a year, mostly stick to buying old stuff on sale. Helps me save my NEET bux.
>>
26 here.

I think I'm a lot worse at games in general than I was. I'm playing Alien Isolation right now and getting my ass kicked on hard. Also, my brain needed work - I remember playing System Shock and Morrowind in college and being completely immersed in the stories. Something happened a few years ago and I realized I couldn't concentrate, took some time to get myself back.

I still play PS1 and PS2 games when I'm bored, fuck around open world games on my laptop. Mainly I just wish I was more into my PS4 games.
>>
Most of you are worried and/or stressed. The care free times in youth had left you.
>>
>>336860290
ATB is atrociously dated by 2016 standards

I honestly don't know how I ever thought it was good. It's basically 99% mashing the same button over and over again, changing only for boss fights (sometimes)
>>
29. I work 8 hours and then come home at 330. Wife goes to work at 5 and I have the remaining 6 to 7 hours a day to play vidya. Git gud scrubs.
>>
>>336860471
a lot of games is mashing the same button over and over. It's not the best reason to dislike FF7
>>
26 and realizing I'm going to be depressed and retarded forever
>>
>>336860578
How many years do you think you can keep that up and remain content? You're not even 30 yet.
>>
My only tip for people getting older is to not fall for the fucking e-Sports faggotry trying to make your hobby seem worthwhile or something.

You will sink way too many hours and become bitter and jaded as shit. Don't do it. I almost completely fell for it but thank god I came to my senses.

Spend all that useless time learning other languages and travelling now while still enjoying some MP and SP vidya.
>>
>>336860578
She cucks you while you work, you know. Go ahead, smell the sheets and you'll smell a nigger's ass sweat.
>>
>>336860290
It's a fantastic game, but like most jrpgs it's slow paced, not that that is a purely negative thing, because I loved grinding out monsters and maxing materia when I first played the game almost two decades ago, but I just don't Jane the patience for it nowadays.

Maybe dude weed would help, I dunno.
>>
>>336860729
I have other hobbies. Shits pretty comfy.
>>
>>336860656
No, it's not, but it's certainly a good way to explain why someone can't remain interested in this day and age

The story and music are all that's left that's any good, and the relatively bad translation hinders the first one quite a bit. The extremely dated visuals, while conceptually charming, really drive the final nail into the coffin
>>
File: 1374945342052.jpg (85 KB, 456x306) Image search: [Google]
1374945342052.jpg
85 KB, 456x306

i kinda just tool around on blizz games now, used to be more diverse with my gaming choices but ive gotten pretty casual as the years drag.

though i have decided to visit the souls games, beat ds1 and 2. still need to pick up and try out 3. they fill a nice niche that ive felt has been missing for a while in my gaming life.
>>
>>336860835
I'll take this into considerarion

Thanks
>>
>>336860443
I don't have a job or kids.
I can assure you, as you get older, you enjoy things less.
That's just the way it goes.
>>
>>336860471
I don't even mind it that much, something's just happened where I just rarely feel like starting up any game, unless it's something you can play a couple rounds of real quick. I played some Doom earlier, ran through the levels and went back to what I was doing before. Short and sweet. But if it's something with more depth, I don't feel like committing to it for the next x hours. Don't even know
>>
>>336852065

My experience is more or less the same as yours. I was never highly into the competitive scene, but now I care even less. Stuff like Overwatch is sort of fun but the thrill of WINNING doesn't do much for me. It feels shallow.

I want to be immersed in an environment, world, story. But I find it hard to quantity exactly what counts as immersive. It doesn't count as a genre. A few months back I played Snatcher and found it to be fantastic.
>>
>>336853643
This. But more so for the fantastic library of JRPGS on the SNES
>>
>>336859659
>It's e-peen waving to not be complete shit at video games

It is when the conversation isn't explicitly about what games you did or did not actually find difficult.
It's a knee jerk reaction. You just saw the title of the game and the word "Difficulty" and immediately had to defend your honor, like you've got the self security of a fucking 12 year old.

Whether or not you found Dark Souls or Super Metroid difficult is immaterial. The point is, they use what difficulty they have in the same ways, that is, to draw attention to the story and the crafted world.
>>
>>336852065

I'm only 21, but I've already found a huge difference in my approach to video games since my teenaged years

I used to love games like GTA because you could goof around and do whatever you want, but like you said, that kind of thing seems pointless now, almost because I know I'm just toying with a imperfect program made by an imperfect human...

ironically I've actually fallen in love with the GTA series for a whole new reason now, as you mentioned about the characters and worlds, GTA IV (also red dead) are almost perfect virtual worlds IMO where I actually finding myself getting lost in the virtual reality like I used to as a kid

For that reason I've recently become interested in games heavy on atmosphere and exploration like fallout, subnautica and mass effect.

Anyone got any good suggestions for games like that?
>>
File: 1449785070994.jpg (284 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1449785070994.jpg
284 KB, 1600x1200
I play when I want, and I'm fine with most games, but I don't buy microtransactions, day 1 dlc, scam dlc, or season passes. I really want to nuke this board though.
>>
>>336853841
Emulators tend to keep me fairly busy between new releases I'm actually interested in. If anything you're lucky you don't have much of a backlog. I'm in the middle of at least 10 games I've been playing on and off.
>>
>>336861071
While this is true, I'm giving it all I got not to become jaded and just move on. 90% of the fight is thinking too goddamn much.
>>
>>336852065
You truly fucked up if you're 25 yo and still play vidya
>>
>>336861293
Oh forgot to mention I'm 25.
>>
>>336860656
There is a difference between it being in a separate battle mode or just happening there as you walk forward. It always drove me crazy how every enemy encounter needs to have an intro, then you wait for a couple seconds to press X, win the fight and then there's a victory scene. Every time you take five steps in the map. It's a total time sink. It would work if the encounters were less frequent and needed more strategy
>>
>>336852065
I actually found I've gotten less patient with games as I get older. I use to play Morrowind ten hours a day during school holidays, now I can barely play any one game for ten hours total.
>>
Never have kids. I play 0 hours per week. I'll be back for you someday /v/, remember me ;_;
>>
File: riven box art.jpg (82 KB, 399x458) Image search: [Google]
riven box art.jpg
82 KB, 399x458
>>336852986
>Thief's environmental storytelling is unparalleled.
>>
I'm 28. I spent the last month or so bringing through ad many Pokemon games I could find due to nostalgia. Now I'm halfway through Black and I can hardly stand to look at a Pokemon lol. Other than that I just fly around in circles on GTA.
>>
File: ra2.jpg (232 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
ra2.jpg
232 KB, 1600x1200
The death of RTS games made me play a little less. The new expansion for sc2 is horrible, fucking gimmicky units everywhere. I miss the C&C series.
>>
>>336861334

Nah man. It's okay. The trick is to enjoy things in moderation. If you have a wife and family they have to come first. If you have a career you have to pay it attention, keep your training up to speed, and be good to your clients. But you can still spend some time on your indulgences.
>>
>>336852065
I agree with this.
>Hear younger gamers worrying about how they're not gonna have time for vidya anymore once they're adults
>Reach mid-20s and realize you actually still have plenty of time to play
I think the only thing that might actually diminish my time and ability to play video game is if I decide to have a family at any point.
>>
>>336861445

This. I find it so much harder to look past flaws in games now. Even if it's not a technical flaw, just a design preference, something I would have done differently. As a kid I guess we just figured we had no choice so we took what we got but as we got older we gained the power to choose certain platforms, certain genres. I feel like I got lost in the power of controlling my own enjoyment that simply turning the game off and not playing is so much easier than sucking it up and continuing when it's not exactly as you want it.
>>
>>336861272

Deus Ex: Human Revolution, has sort of an open world, but great immersion.
>>
I turn 30 in a few weeks and I have never had much interest in multiplayer competitive gaming, but as I've gotten older what little I had has faded away into nothing. I won't play games that are multiplayer-only, and only do local multiplayer with my friends (e.g. Smash). I also just tend to lose interest in games that much faster. I stopped playing XCOM 2 after about 20 hours, and I still have yet to finish Hearts of Stone on Witcher 3. I feel like I've seen everything vidya has to offer, and rarely get interested in a new game coming out apart from interesting-looking indie games that are more retro in their design, e.g. Ghost Song and Eitr.

I'm a sucker for survival games now though, for some reason. I love Subnautica and I'm starting to get into Savage Lands, and I even tried pirating Fragmented and various other survival early access games to see if I like them. They mostly sucked though.
>>
>>336861334
How old are you, and do you expect to just lose interest in everything you used to like when you hit a certain age? You must be pretty young if you feel that 25 is particularly old
>>
>>336853849
I want so badly to read. My skin seems to crawl from the lack of stimulation. I'm missing out on so much gold it's killing me inside.
>>
>>336861687
I would actually welcome less time. As a NEET it's all I have. On particularly busy or strenuous days whether they be full of yard/handiwork finally settling down for some vidya is a real pleasure. Otherwise it just kills time til the next day to rinse and repeat.
>>
>>336852065
Becoming worse with each year, but the genres i like seem to release good stuff,
>stellaris hopes up
>darksouls 3,
>factorio
>master of orion seems to be good, shit steamreviews because of butthurt faggots mb
>>
>>336861242
Yeah right, I came here to "defend my honour" my dubious honour of not having found two games that aren't particularly difficult, not difficult. Yep, totally a "knee jerk reaction" to point out your "omg dark souls is so good" faggotry is exactly that.

>The point is, they use what difficulty they have in the same ways, that is, to draw attention to the story and the crafted world.
>DaS and SM
>Story
Oh I see, you aren't casual as I first thought, you are just retarded. Seriously mate, this is a thread for 25+ people, not teenagers reading off blurbs from their favorite youtubers.
>>
who /neet/ here?
>>
>>336862205
This is pretty much how I felt for a long while after turning 18. I decided to get a job eventually, not because it felt wasteful to not be working, but because playing video games after working is so much more gratifying. And purchasing games with money you actually earned really gives you a new perspective on how much you enjoy or criticize them.
>>
29 and mgsv was the very last kick in the nuts from vidya I'll ever get. I'll never get excited for a video game again.
>>
File: original (2).jpg (57 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
original (2).jpg
57 KB, 400x300
>>336862498
Right here anon.
>>
>>336861757
He's just another underaged shithead who thinks age defines everything.
He'll grow up when life takes a shit on him, just like the rest of us.
>>
I'm 27 and just now really feeling the crunch of not wanting to play. My gf just left me after 10 years because I still play games and never "matured" to movies and watching plays and stuff. Said she couldn't be with someone like that. So I don't know maybe because she left me for a more "mature" guy last month it's kind of ruining all joy in playing games.
>>
I enjoy brain games more often these days. i play tetris a few times a week for a couple hours while watching something. I'm actually more interested in shit like DnD these days which is a drastic turn from when i grew up.
>>
>>336862894
>Not liking good plays and movies
Really anon?
>>
>>336852065
I don't feel like replaying the same games anymore. Maybe it's because I have money compared to when I was a kid, so I can just buy whatever I want. It's harder for me to play for long periods of time because all the new games coming out are garbage
>>
>>336862894
That's fucking lame, anon. I hate that people interpret games as childish just because they require input and constant attention to progress. Especially when some video games have better stories and characters than the ever stagnating movie industry. Plays can be alright sometimes, but only if they're not pretentious.
>>
>>336862894
Bitches come and go, man. Don't let it ruin your sense of self.
>>
I no longer have the same amount of time to burn on vidya as I used to
I've drifted towards multiplayan like dota2 or tf2, because they can be played in short bursts. As a bonus, these are games I can play with my friends, who no longer live in the same city as me.
>>
29 here.

I always played pretty much anything, with focus on novel gameplay/narrative/aesthetics. That never changed, and I actually feel like I can describe better what I like and why I don't like about a game. I'm stubborn as hell with any form of media I'm involved, thanks to that I can count with my fingers how many games I have dropped.

I used to play a ton of JRPGs, but between the grind and how repetitive is the dialogue, I'd rather steer away from them. Except for playing emulators via smartphones, where thinking is not that necessary. That and my waning love of fighters are the biggest changes.

I've never cared for trends or hype, and I get this feeling that the "jaded gamer" is someone who did. You're not forced to like what's coming now and is popular. Play old classics or indies, whatever.

These days I've been more interested in strategy games, specially city builders and 4x. I also like games with simple rules that derive in complex scenarios, like Frozen Synapse or Mini Metro.

I play around 3 new games per month, average 1.5 hours a day. And yes, I still love them, maybe even more.
>>
>>336863060
>liking plays

Are you 50? A hipster? Or just a gigantic faggot?
>>
>>336862894
>10 years
>not married

That's why she left you. Sorry but it's true. Why are you so afraid of commitment?
>>
>>336863060

It's not that I don't LIKE plays or movies, it's the fact that I'm not hyped to see romantic comedy number 5 this month, or so and so's friend who is in this shitty college play doing a musical.
>>
>>336862874
I remember when 25 felt far away, then suddenly you're there and you realise you don't really feel very different
>>
>>336863339

I wasn't, We discussed it like 50 times and she always said she hated the thought of kids and marriage because it just seemed terrible. I was the one wanting marriage, but she decided 3 years in she didn't want it.
>>
>>336862894
>27
>10 years
High school romances never last. You two probably should have broken it off years ago but both of you were too chickenshit and kept together for fear of the alternative
>>
>>336863060
>go to a play
>can't see shit unless you're in the front row
>>
>>336863498
This anon speaks the truth.
>>
File: photo-1-1910.jpg (83 KB, 480x633) Image search: [Google]
photo-1-1910.jpg
83 KB, 480x633
>>336863094
>Not liking pretentious 19th century Russian playwrights

>>336863307
>Mocking someone for age in the 25+ gamers thread
I hope you are not serious.

>>336863367
Oh well if she had dogshit taste then that's another matter entirely.
>>
File: 1458481496804.jpg (78 KB, 460x562) Image search: [Google]
1458481496804.jpg
78 KB, 460x562
>>336852065
I don't. If I play at all it's for an hour at the most on a freak fortress server. Weekdays it's 30mins tops.

Swapped out this hobby for drawing instead.
>>
>>336863612

Not entirely. Her parents were high school lovers(still together) and so are mine(still together also), so I went against what was telling me was stupid and tried.
>>
>>336863367
If it helps you, anyone who just dumps you over shit like that isn't worth your time. No, seriously.

Thank baby jesus I'm gay and my guy loves vidya, even if he's a huge fucking casual
>>
File: COMEONSLAM.webm (2 MB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
COMEONSLAM.webm
2 MB, 960x544
>>336860835
im not jaded because ive played Halo 2 professionally, halo 3 professionally and Rocket league professionally and halo 5

Over all im pretty happy wrecking scrubs.

though i can tell my age is showing in my reaction time. seeing as i started out pro at 15 during halo 2
>>
>>336862793
>>336862498
Genuine curiosity here, since this thread has been relatively civil, what keeps you guys as NEETs? I've never had much to motivate me in life, but after I fell into a career in culinary, I come home from work feeling great, despite the physical and mental beating kitchen life brings. Have you not been able to find a passion in life, or is it something else?
>>
I play Hearthstone while watching Kripp.
>>
>>336863636
Well everyone I've met who actually LIKE plays, as in, actively going to see them, fits into those cathegories.

So not mocking, just telling what I see.
>>
File: progress of a gamer.jpg (60 KB, 680x640) Image search: [Google]
progress of a gamer.jpg
60 KB, 680x640
>>336853849
no i'm too busy smoking weed
>>
I feel my hype has dramatically diminished.
Games are still fun, but rarely is there anything that stands out as unique.
It feels like games have been too samey and everyone is just jumping on the same trends.

I like my games to stand out in a variety of ways, be it unique art styles, gameplay or even just game mechanics that are unusual in today's market.

I still buy the occasional video games, but nothing like it used to be. And I find myself clinging more to my favorites even if they are older and their playerbase is dwindling or non-existent.

Still a prominent hobby, but its share of my free time is being replaced with other hobbies I enjoy.
>>
>>336863903
This desu
>>
I enjoy gaming less and less as it feels like I've seen it all before. The only reason I still play games is to hang out with my friends online instead of at a bar.
>>
>>336863732
neet master race reporting in

it's hard to complete a degree or hold down any job for with crippling anxiety and depression
>>
File: 1462270314650.jpg (149 KB, 580x535) Image search: [Google]
1462270314650.jpg
149 KB, 580x535
>>336863732
>what keeps you guys as NEETs
I'm a miserable husk and everything but being NEET seems that it's going to be much worse, at least as a NEET I can sleep or drink myself into a stupor whenever it hurts too much to be conscious, if I had a job that freedom would be greatly restricted.

>Have you not been able to find a passion in life
Nope never.
>>
>>336863903
>intellectual
>discussing a book most people had to read in high school
Wow, way to be a reader, Quentin.
>>
>>336853849
Off roading is a big hobby of mine.
>>
>>336864276
>Hobbies: Mixing sleeping pills and alcohol
Is this really a hobby?
>>
I'm 22 but I haven't enjoyed games in years.
The only reason I play them sometimes is to blank my mind.
I have so many more exciting and important things going on in my life I shouldn't ever be playing games. Soon. I will delete all my games and sell my steam account. Soon.
>>
>>336864579
Yeah, they have a big convention every six months.
>>
>>336863717

>Halo
>>
I work and on days off I patiently wait on my messengers for a friend to ask me to play something, if noone asks I go take a nap.

I use to ask but they always abandon me to do other things.

I give up on IRL and online friends.

I need hobby
I got back to bed
>>
>>336864579
Anything's a hobby if you are dedicated enough to it. I mean if buying and collecting shit is a hobby, than what's to say this isn't?
>>
>>336859521
>>336859747
>>336859382
Don't kid yourselves. Shit's coming sooner than you think.
Just think about it based on stuff we can already do: We can hook up prosthetic arms TO OUR BRAINS and then CONTROL THEM WITH OUR THOUGHTS. Just like your normal arm.

If we can do that, then it means we can replace our eyes with ocular devices. We can replace almost ANYTHING.

So, what if we just replaced it all, but instead of using physical parts like eyes or arms, we used those same nerves to move a character's arm in a game.
>>
I'm in a severely depressed state with my crippling poverty and trapped lifestyle

So I decided to git gud at a certain game, reach the higher eschelon and get involved in some the tournament / competitive circuit as my hobby

This whole e-sports shit is riddled with people who simply can't fucking speak to save their lives and I hope to get involved somewhere there.
>>
At 28 I still enjoy games, but I've found that I don't have much patience for games that try to force emotions (TLoU, gameplay polished to a mirror sheen, but I couldn't feel anything for the characters.) or try to cover up their deficiencies through stories. That and games that don't have a good hook, doesn't need to be gameplay, but show my why I should play the game with the little time I have to do it.

I guess I'd like games to be good and fun.
>>
>>336864156
I get attacks of severe anxiety and have probably had some form of depression most of my life yet I'm doing a PhD. Stop finding excuses.
>>
>>336864865
Good luck anon, I'm rooting for you!!!
>>
File: 1460689175679.jpg (10 KB, 424x394) Image search: [Google]
1460689175679.jpg
10 KB, 424x394

I just wish I had friends to play games with.

I can't play with the 12 year olds on neo-/v/, they'd just call me grandpa and give me an atomic wedgie.
>>
>>336852065
I found that quick bursts of gameplay is best. I can't stay and play for long hours.
>>
>>336863447
Should have left her when she said that, these kind of women always trade up when they see an opportunity
>>
>>336864960
Thank you buddy. I really appreciate that. Truly.
>>
>>336864156
I have severe depression and crippling anxiety and i still work 8 hours in lifting boxes from one truck to another truck. I get paid 7.25 dollary doos only to come home and sleep because depressed. Been like that for 4 years now, looks like I've aged 15 years since I started. You can complete your degree, I believe in you.
>>
>>336852960
>Turning 30 made me a casual
same, mostly I don't have the time to waste. I do like the challenge but it's hard with no time.
>>
I remember when games like Morowind came out and I thought in the future we would have a bunch of amazing open world single player adventures.

The industry let me down. Only Mount and Blade and New Vegas gave me that feel since then. Crusader Kings 2 was great but ruined by constant shit updates
>>
>>336852065
if you are over 25 and playing vidya there's something wrong with you. when i hit 24 i plan on stop playing vidya as a whole as thats when its time to get a job a girlfriend and a life. vidya isn't something anyone that age should be doing and if you are over 25 and playing vidya? you are up there with aspies like chris chan and nick bate.
>>
>>336863732
Lack of passion and substance abuse, desu
>>
>>336864797
And then what?

A utopian world where all is right would be boring. What would you do, walk around and smell the roses? You can do that already and I don't see you doing it. I mean, what if this reality *is* the video game. We're in Peter Molyneux's dream world and instead of doing literally anything we want, we're bitching about how we can't do anything in these virtual mini-games on a chinese picture board

Video games. Video games never changes.

No matter what happens or how things improve, you will always be seeking the next best thing rather than appreciating what is
>>
>>336865624
Please respond
>>
>>336865624
Ecks Dee Dee.
>>
>>336865381

I remember when the 360 and PS3 were being announced I was just imagining how many amazing, beautiful games we could get if Nintendo followed the same path. I was imagining next-gen zeldas, marios, metroids etc.

Then we got the Wii,

I will never forgive them.
>>
>>336859521
>>336859747
>neither of us make it to the technological singularity
We don't want to be around for that. The approach to the technological event horizon is the best part. Attaining the furthest reaches of technological power, A.I. will likely not only be able to create and change matter, but also life and all things seemingly intangible. It'll probably be like the rapture, only consciousness will be instantly judged obsolete. After all, keeping pets/companions is a primitive practice. All life will be soul-hacked and everything will liquefy into Tang™.
>>
>>336865624
( Y O U )
Y
O
U
)
>>
>>336865624
Fuck off normalshit.
>>
>>336860705

This, man.
>>
>>336864797
>We can hook up prosthetic arms TO OUR BRAINS and then CONTROL THEM WITH OUR THOUGHTS. Just like your normal arm.
If you actually follow prosthetics and BCIs the level of control is incredibly coarse, there's also the fact that there's no good way around biocompatability and rejection, and the problem of infection from BCIs to prostethics. Even this "advanced" control is created through faltering control of several surgically separated nerve clusters.

The kind of fine tuned non-invasive control over nervous and neuronal activity required for even the most basic full sense virtual reality is at least 50 years of medical and other technological advances away. Though admittedly several enabling technologies may shrink that time, For instance brain simulation at the finer than eletrophysiological stage might yield better control algorithms, We could also arguably create a patchwork system that creates a fairly close approximation of true VR (think hijacking the spinal chord to deliver bodily sensations and control, combined with some sort of seamless VRD, the former still far in the future in terms of feasibility) but even then there would be the problem of most other senses. Without some sort of direct brain stimulation that is noninvasive we still will never really control all senses without a whole bunch of invasive and otherwise specialty control systems.
>>
>>336865794
>Implying I don't
I for one welcome our non-biological sapient overlords.
>>
>>336865870
luckily for me forever only has to be a couple weeks
>>
>>336865782

Honestly Nintendo has just been Nintendo. I love the gameplay of their games, but I have never felt like I was transported toca world and having an adventure, except in Wind Waker.
>>
>>336865930
>non-invasive
I don't think that will change. People's standards for what is acceptable to do to their body will change.
>>
>>336866075

Why, what's happening then?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.