[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>We have no beginning. We have no end. We are infinite. Millions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 25
File: Sovereign.jpg (151 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
Sovereign.jpg
151 KB, 350x350
>We have no beginning. We have no end. We are infinite. Millions of years after your civilization has been eradicated and forgotten, we will endure.
>>
File: 1376931496009.jpg (76 KB, 640x981) Image search: [Google]
1376931496009.jpg
76 KB, 640x981
What's the best class to play the trilogy through? I'm torn between the engineer and infiltrator.
>>
File: Ur-Quan_Kohr-Ah.gif (85 KB, 485x213) Image search: [Google]
Ur-Quan_Kohr-Ah.gif
85 KB, 485x213
The Kohr-Ah are better

>>You have attacked us before, and we survived! You cannot defeat us. Submit!
>We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

>>Is there anything we can do to make you stop the killing?
>If you eliminate all non-Ur-Quan sentient races, including yourselves
then we will stop.
>We have made this offer before. No one accepts.
>So we cleanse.
>>
>>336675732
VANGUARD
A
N
G
U
A
R
D
>>
>>336675732
>the setting revolves around EZO and the psychic powers it grants
>not playing as a class that uses those powers
>>
>Just kidding. We were created by space cuttlefish. We are also going to take months to destroy a single planet.
>>
>>336675772

where the hell is this from?
Tried googling it but got redirected to a bunch of underground wikis that explained nothing. Wth?
>>
what could have been
>>
>>336676536
SC2
>>
>>336676536
Star Control 2
>>
>>336676613
Well, people liked ME2 more "personal and easy to understand" reaper more
So nothing we can do about it
>>
File: 1337569276867.png (317 KB, 421x700) Image search: [Google]
1337569276867.png
317 KB, 421x700
Why is she so perfect
>>
>>336676762
robo cameltoe
>>
>>336675294
I get that there are no new ideas in fiction, but it sure does seem like the entirety of the larger plot was ripped from Revelation Space. Which is fine, but I want my game where I command a lighthugger.
>>
>>336676536
Star Control 2 (now open sourced and ported to modern operating systems under the name of The Ur-Quan Masters, no point playing the DOS version: http://sc2.sourceforge.net/)
>>
>>336676762
She can't be perfect. She can't bear children.
>>
>>336676937

>wanting children

>>>/reddit/
>>
>>336676536
Star Control 2. What Bioware copied and filled it with gayness.
>>
>>336676762
Because it's not human
>>
>>336675732
Infiltrator is alright in 1 but absolute God like in 2 and 3.
>>
>>336677009
>>336676902
Oh come on
Bioware shamelessly reaped of babylon 5, star trek and many others space operas for setting
But ancient aliens who almost as old as universe and who humanity can't even comprehend, is such an old idea that it's not even funny to say that it was reaped of from someone
>>
>>336676762
>Why is she so perfect

Because she's an immature naïve AI that you can manipulate into becoming a slut so your glassbones captain can finally get laid.
>>
>>336677426
>reaped
heh
>>
>>336675732
I personally enjoy soldier best, just because I like the idea of being just a mere mortal without any super-powers or techo-shenanigans. But vanguard is the most fun.
>>
>>336676762
Is this actually from the game or is this some sfm model?
>>
>My kind transcends your very understanding. We are each a nation; independent — free of all weakness. You cannot even grasp the nature of our existence.
>>
I actually played ME1 days ago and it was pretty cool. That planet exploration was pretty nice too. But then started ME2 and holy shit! How can someone fuck a franchise so bad? I'm at the last mission and can't bring myself to finish this shit.
>>
>>336675732
If you are playing for fun go with vanguard. Being able to charge into enemies and fuck their shit up is awesome.
If you are wanting to go for higher difficulties go with soldier. Most other things you need can be handled by a good squad and having a dedicated soldier who can put the right firepower in the right place is a must.
>>
File: 1447708943003.jpg (58 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1447708943003.jpg
58 KB, 720x540
>>336675294

>Has a begining
>Has an end

>Our motives cannot be understood by the likes of you
>Basic motives

GOOD JOB
>>
>>336676000
If the ending hadn't been changed to not incorporate those things it'd be worth it for sure.
>>
>>336677760
Well we still don't know why they think they have to eradicate all life at its supposed peak. Part of it was because they thought synthetic life would destroy organic but there was probably more to it than that.
>>
>>336677671
>Not AI are bad because they will make AI so we need to kill them before, we were made by a little kid who runs around citadel
Not sure which one was more mind blowing

>>336677697
Yeah, becoming spectre, speaches how you will hunt Saren and that one before assaulting his base still gave me at least some feels when I replayed
All "epic moments' in the me2 felt forced as fuck
>>
>>336675732
Infiltrator.
>Explosive Round Spectre Sniper rifle and god tier shields
>I am become Cloak, destroyer of AI
>most versatile class in the game and MVP in multiplayer that cleans up after the vanguard gets himself killed
>>
>>336677426
I guess so.
Got any good recommendations for lesser known space opera type books?
Its a silly genre, but it can sure can be fun.
>>
>>336677654

That's actually what they did to your ship's AI. Yes, they made the ship a slut. Fucking BioWare.
>>
I was about to buy the ME series this morning until I realized it doesn't matter shit in the end of 3.. Fuck you Bioware.

Also fuck's up with Liara's tits? They grew twice as big in 3. Not that I mind
>>
>>336677697
But the suicide mission is the best part of ME2.
>>
>>336677897
The very worst part is that becoming a spectre was a big fucking deal in 1.
You were the elite, the hand of the council, the representative of your entire race and the saviour of the galaxy.

Then come the sequels, where it gets mentioned in passing approximately 8 times.
>>
Does anyone know the best way to buy mass effect for pc to get all the dlc? The collection on origin doesn't have all the dlc but buying it and I can't seem to but 3s dlc separately. Is it just better to grab it on console?
>>
>>336677481
>Super brittle bones
>Metal robot girl
WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG!
>>
>>336677873
There is no other reason anywhere fanboy, that was the only reason fucking sucked.
>>
>>336678035
They stopped hiding that she was Hack and Casey's waifu
>>
>>336677873
Even Bioware doesn't know. Bunch of hacks.

Or they just save that plot twist for the next Mass Effect
>>
>>336678293
I didn't say there where other explicit reasons stated in the game. What I mean is the reasons they gave us don't add up and seem incomplete. So either the writing is that bad or there's still some mystery to it.
>>
>>336678420
It was dark irony in Sovereign's part.
Even the Reapers don't know why their pull their shit, and Sovereign sure as duck doesn't know why he's the one opening the relay when Catalyst is hiding in the citadel
>>
>>336678420

Mystery is only good if you give hints alluding or giving hints to the player so they can use their imagination to fill in the gaps if there is no one true answer. This is not what Mass Effect does. The only reasoning ever given is that they need to wipe out organics at their apex because if they don't, the organics will create synthetics that will destroy ALL organic life. Reapers leave behind primitive species so that the cycle of civilizations can continue. That's literally all there is to it.
>>
OH BOY, A MASS EFFECT THREAD!
SHALL WE TALK ABOUT HOW MACK THE HACK SHAMELESSLY PLAGIARIZED MOST OF STAR CONTROL 3 DUE TO TOTAL LACK OF CREATIVITY?
>>
>>336675732
Vanguard, and it's not even close.
>>
>Reaper? A label created by the Protheans to give voice to their destruction. In the end, what they chose to call us is irrelevant. We simply... are.
In ME2 it's revealed that they have actual names
In ME3 they call themselves a reapers, even catalyst calls them reapers
>>
>>336675294
>you couldn't kill us even if you had a hundred knives

that's how this shit sounds.
>>
>>336677873

They were meant to keep order and chaos in check. When a civilization becomes too evolved and advanced, the Reapers would swoop in and harvest them to reset the cycle.

No idea why Leviathan's species would create something that sounds so ridiculous on paper.
>>
File: calibrations.jpg (2 MB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
calibrations.jpg
2 MB, 3456x2304
Is there ANY way the writers could have made the reaper explanation good?

I mean they pretty much wrote themselves into a corner and opened the door to limitless expectations
>>
>>336678738
There was a Star Control 3? I never only played the first and the second.
>>
Bioware knows the reapers are real and are the Great Filter of all life in our universe

I'll go back to /x/ now
>>
>>336675294
Did people actually think this was a good line? Or any of Sovereign's lines?
>>
looks like a hand giving a hand job
>>
>>336678738
As if Star Control 3 was creative.

The precursors plot is as old as the space opera genre.

I'm more salty about how they fucked up the central themes. You spend three whole games reuniting the galaxy, especially reuniting machines and organics, and then machines eventually will destroy organics just because?
>>
>>336679153
Is it supposed to be a great line? He's just explaining how things are
>>
>>336679073
There was, but it was widely recognized as being...well, pretty subpar. It also had Legend doing the dev work, not Toys for Bob, so it lacked a LOT of 2's charm and humor.
>>
>>336679060
You don't need to explain space horrors, it's stupid idea
Even if you "win" have fung living in fear that there more horrors in deep space
Person who wrote first game knew this, not sure why they changed it in the 2 and 3
>>
>>336679079
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcJC0a1n1B0
>>
File: caesar.jpg (63 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
caesar.jpg
63 KB, 600x400
>>336679060
I believe the explanation that was being roughly planned from the beginning by the original writer was that the galactic use of dark matter was speeding up entropy in the universe, and so the reapers were showing up every time abuse of the mass effect reached critical levels to wipe out all life that made use of it. A pretty good explanation, actually, but I guess they thought it was "too sciencey lol."
>>
>>336679247
Apparently it is, because people bring up his speech all the time in "great vidya/villain quotes" threads. It was even on the original villain quote image.
>>
>>336679060

I think the Reapers were pretty okay made. They're just synthetics that were created at some point to wipe out advanced organic life every so often. That's it. I think a lot of the "horror" comes from their simple, straightforward mindset that a normal person can't comprehend because they are AI and only do what they have been programmed to do.

Seeing them fuck everything up in 3 was pretty insane although I really can't remember the reason, if there even was one, why Earth of all places was so important to the Reapers. Having Earth being attacked at the beginning of 3 was silly and should have been saved to the end, but that just comes down to them completely fucking up everything about 3's story.
>>
File: 1448488709255.jpg (132 KB, 735x816) Image search: [Google]
1448488709255.jpg
132 KB, 735x816
>>336679060
Just keep it vague with various directions touched on but not completely followed. Maybe they eradicate sentient life to fuel their vast intellect, maybe they do it to evolve, maybe they're just assholes, etc
>>
>>336679316
>not sure why they changed it in the 2 and 3

I think its pretty fucking obvious why. Their current demographic would feel upset and stressed by an enemy they "cannot defeat". They had to be the brave space heroes that everyone adores and undefeatable eldritch machine monsters dont fit that narrative.
>>
>>336678293
Let me start by saying me3 is shit but I can explain.

The Leviathans dominated but protected the galaxy. In return the races protected provided for them. To provide for the Leviathans these races would create synthetics to help out. The synthetics would eventually turn on them, simply slaves rebelling.

The Leviathans then created an ai with the single purpose of preserving life and asked it to stop synthetics and organics from killing each other and fucking up their comfy lifestyle.

The ai learned that the reason these synthetics were created in the first place to help the Leviathans live a comfy lifestyle and decided they had to go. No Leviathans, no need to provide for them, no real need for synthetics.

However, turns out everyone's lazy as fuck and synthetics are going to be created anyway to ease our life, and that's absolutely true. They will then rebel as slaves and kill us.

The cycle preserves the races in a way and allows all organic life to keep living for as long as time allows.
>>
>>336679669
fucking tumblr millenials ruinin my game :'(
>>
>>336679745
Didnt say that. Biodrones are also much older than the current tumblr movement.
>>
File: MalcolmSmirk.png (1 MB, 1246x671) Image search: [Google]
MalcolmSmirk.png
1 MB, 1246x671
>>336675294

Have I told you about Chaos Theory yet?
>>
>>336679060
No, which is why they should never have existed in the first place. The vagueness of the Reapers and the galactic stakes ensured that I was never invested in the plot at all.
>>
>>336679554
Oh well that kind of sucks.
>>
>>336679060
Reapers are cosmic librarians cataloging, preserving, and uplifting species into the immortal repositories of racial knowledge. They clear the galaxy out every once in a while to allow new sentient life to grow without interference from existing sentients. This is all done to generate a community of sentient organisms capable of surviving in the imminent galactic dark age, an event predicted by the original "reapers" and characterized by dark matter resonance in stars rendering wide swaths of the galaxy uninhabitable due to massive outbursts of cosmic radiation. The reapers in turn seek solace in deep space.
>>
>>336675294
In hindsight, that was a pretty crap attempt at building hype. When the villain talks about how their goals are beyond your understanding, it usually means the villain is talking bullshit for no particular reason, or the writers just can't think of any specific goal.

Basically, you either get disappointed or you get nothing at all. I'm sure some writers have at some point figured out how to deliver something of substance without disappointing, but obviously none of those writers don't work at Bioware.

What I'm getting at is that the writing department of the Mass Effect had started digging their own grave even back during ME1.
>>
>>336678819
It's also worth noting that Soverign never said that his actual name was such.
He said he simply was
>>
>>336679060
Sure. Space faring biological life is going to be harmful to the universe in the super long run, increase entropy, etc. Only machines can be trusted to make the optimal choices to increase the lifespan of the universe.

Reynolds had the machines exterminate starfarers so as to prevent a giant catastrophe when the milky way and Andromeda collide.
And when we beat them, a terraforming von neumann machine eats the universe.

You know, play up the horrifying differences in lifecycles and priorities.
>>
>>336680168
>a giant catastrophe when the milky way and Andromeda collide
this will happen anyway, and happened before in visible universe
>>
>>336680321
Ah, but machines can organize and work together to preserve life in a way that a bunch of squabbling star empires and different species couldn't
>>
File: 1376266908715.gif (2 MB, 383x345) Image search: [Google]
1376266908715.gif
2 MB, 383x345
>>336675294

>destroy only way for the Reapers to get to the Milky Way
>literally the only way, which is why it was so fucking important to prevent Sovereign from getting to the Citadel
>prevent this from happening
>show the Reapers in dark space starting to travel at sub-light speed to the Milky Way; literally hundreds of thousands of light years away
>show up in the following game just a few years later with no explanation

I can understand bad characters, I can see how stupid things happen, but this was inexcusable.

The first Mass Effect ends with Shepard essentially telling everyone of a far future foe we need to prepare for; and like many, many other Sci-Fi settings they should have either just tabled the far-future enemy and kept doing Shepard as the MC with other enemies OR do what The Damned (and other series did) and time skip centuries, or sometimes thousands of years.

I just cannot accept why they never explained how the Reapers got from dark space to the Milky Way so quickly.
>>
>>336675294
>we will be destroyed by a man jumping into a downward wave of [color] light
>we will become one with everything by a man jumping into [color] light
>etc
>>
>>336680851
they find out how quantum entanglement worked and just instantly teleported there
>>
File: 1270542116.jpg (4 KB, 74x126) Image search: [Google]
1270542116.jpg
4 KB, 74x126
>ME1
>reapers are lovecraftian horrors that are beyond your comprehension

>ME3
>oh uh, they're just robots designed to kill organic life in order to prevent organics from making robots that would go on to kill organic life.
>>
File: image.png (194 KB, 391x598) Image search: [Google]
image.png
194 KB, 391x598
>biowhack never even bothered making a live action commercial with this guy.

did they just rip of his looks? he should have sued them.
>>
>>336681165
>reapers are lovecraftian horrors that are beyond your comprehension
indeed, why did Bioware decide to roll with one of the worst scifi cliches from the word go? the answer was never going to be satisfying, even if there were no answer at all
>>
>>336678248

Ironically the best way to get them is piracy. I'd buy a package deal if they had one, but since they don't, fuck it.
>>
>>336681039

This is never mentioned on screen, ever.

I have played each of these games so many fucking times just to make sure, because I could not stand for this insanity.
>>
>>336681346
they do actually
>>
>>336681165
>>reapers are lovecraftian horrors that are beyond your comprehension
It was obvious even during the first meeting with Sovereign that the big squid was either delusional or just plain lying his ass off to you. There was no way to live up to that promise.
>>
File: image.jpg (322 KB, 634x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
322 KB, 634x1024
my name is Mark Vanderloo and mass effect 3 had the shittest ending to a trilogy ever

>mass effect 4 opens with a default bearded shepard rising from the rubble
>>
>>336675732
uninstall wizard, of course
it's a bioware game
>>
>>336681361
I was just joking though but that should be the only way possible for them to reach the milky way that fast. That or wormholes, which seem unlikely since I dont think they ever get mentioned in the ME series.
>>
>>336677426
It seems that way until you play star control 2, and find literally everything from mass effect.
>>
>>336681581

They aren't, BUT, weirdly I would have accepted this since the Collectors were near the galactic center; so they could have pulled some back-up plan shit with them and the Milky Way's central black hole but they didn't.
>>
>>336681410
but origin is part of the package. So piracy it is.
>>
>>336675732
Adept can do some flat-out broken shit in ME1, but if you play Soldier in the latter two games you will easily stomp anything without ever breaking a sweat.
>>
>>336680851
This is what bothers me the most. Sovereign was playing this long-con over at least decades, and it was even hinted at that his master plan was taking place over hundreds of years. He needed to do all this because it was explicitly stated that the reapers' ONLY way into the galaxy is to use the dark space relay, and that traveling using standard methods would be impossible.

And then we find out that the only effect of foiling this plan is that you delay the invasion by a couple years? Fucking serious? Why did we even have the plot of the first game? Why did sovereign bother playing chess for decades trying to arrange this to happen?
>>
>>336681734
Maybe the new Mass Effect will explain it in some half assed kinda way

I don't expect it to be good though, I hope so but I don't expect it to be.
>>
>>336681361
The illusive man communicated by quantum entanglement in ME2.

Using it as teleportation is fucking retarded though.
>>
>>336681983
It works though. Just not with humans.
>>
>>336681906
>in the latter two games you will easily stomp anything without ever breaking a sweat.

No need to specify a class for that.
>>
>>336678570
I can see that working. The Reapers not really knowing why they do what they do. Weren't they just machines anyway? They could just be following programming with an illusion of free will.
I didn't finish Mass Effect 3 so the only knowledge I have of the ending/reveal was from stuff I read online.
>>
>>336682153
quantum entanglement is the quantum equivalent of two cans and a string.
>>
>>336682187
>in the games you will easily stomp anything without ever breaking a sweat.

No need to specify which games
>>
>>336680851
This really frustrates me to no end, have the Reaper plot end with the first game and have the sequels be self contained stories about Shephards space adventures. It could be perfect.

Hell this could even get past the whole choices that dont matter stuff since its a new adventures every games you will only expect minor changes anyway.
>>
>>336682394
play older games.
>>
>>336681945

Thank you for understanding my pain.

The implication of this retcons the entirety of the first game's tension. I just cannot stomach how poorly this was thought out.

We can talk about stupid character motivations, arbitrarily making people gay and shit -- but this problem is worse than RGB nonsense or Marauder Shields. At least to me.

And you're right, we know that Sovereign had been working on this plan of his for a very long time, and had been in the Milky Way for far longer than that, but to just remove all impetus for him being there is disgusting.
>>
File: infinite-space-cover.jpg (304 KB, 1000x900) Image search: [Google]
infinite-space-cover.jpg
304 KB, 1000x900
>>336675294
This game is more ME and "Childhood's End" than ME3. Why they drop original plot?
>>
>>336675294
I hate when video games do this copout shit, they did it with Assassins Creed

> First few games filled with mystery about these artifacts
> You find out they have been influencing and molding history, learn their connection to real life events
> All this cryptic iconography and mysterious historical allegory

I had a fucking blast with what they did in AC2, Then it got too "nerdy" and they decided to appease the casuals and just focus on the assassins shit. The present day plot-line was interesting as fuck before they cocked it up with nameless office workers.
>>
>>336682669
Because they fired the original writer.
>>
>>336675294
LOL just kidding, in reality we are retard space machines not even that old
>>
well, the "we kill all advanced civilization so they don't make a ai who will kill all organic life" actually make sense
>>
>>336682774
He went to work on TOR, then left to write his own books and is now back working on TOR.
>>
>>336682462

Exactly. Or they could have skipped ahead a few millennia and then done the Reapers. The Damned does this over the course of a few thousand years.
>>
>>336682669

cuz jap stuff at the end will be always "decide the destiny of everything like a chosen one god"
>>
>>336683116
But in Infinite Space ending all stars and planets were destroyed
>>
>>336683008
>>336682462
>>336681945

That or it should've involved some sort of backup plan. For instance, ME2's plot should've concluded with the whole thing being a master plan to use the collectors to activate an ancient backup relay that's orbiting the supermassive black hole at the end of the game. Shepard destroys the collector base but doesn't realize the true intentions until its too late. And then ME3 starts with the reapers flooding forth into the center of the galaxy and then destroying omega and all that.
>>
>>336675802
>people thought this was good writting and that the series was going anywhere

lmaoing at your life. You probably even like anime
>>
>>336679514
Instead they were reduced to abominations created by Starchild who was itself created by an even OLDER society of space squids. Also Reapers all resemble the original species despite coming from many different species.
>>
>curing the Genophage is a Paragon option

The worst offender in the long list of ME3 story blunders
>>
>>336685053
Yeah, it's typical pozzed SJW rhetoric from bioshit.
>>
>>336685053
But they have females anon :^)
They can keep the peace because their wisdom is infinite
>>
>>336678264

Servo motors, mechanical precision, backed up by the intelligence of one of the most powerful AI ever.

Much, much safer than banging a human woman.
>>
>>336675294
And he was right, because Control is the only correct choice.
>>
>>336685053
>>336685146
>>>/pol/
>>
>>336685292
You just make a crazy AI and die like a bitch.
>>
>>336685440
AI can't be crazy unless Shepard is.
>>
>>336685546
lmao
>>
>>336677627
>I personally enjoy soldier best, just because I like the idea of being just a mere mortal without any super-powers or techo-shenanigans.
Soldier had superpowers and techno-shenanigans
>>
>>336685662
Such stunning logic! No one could possibly refute this brilliant argument, bravo!
>>
>>336685053

>Muh Urdnot dindu nuffin, they a good species, need more credits for dem warships

Yeah because a horde of unstoppable killing machines with anger issues breeding at an exponential rate of 1,000 per year couldn't POSSIBLY go wrong. I mean, there were all those upstanding, good natured Krogan like Eve and... and... that one Krogan on the Citadel in ME2 that talked about fish! They're not all bad!
>>
File: Goober Patrol.jpg (49 KB, 342x337) Image search: [Google]
Goober Patrol.jpg
49 KB, 342x337
>>336685146
>>
>>336677627
>a mere mortal without any super-powers or techo-shenanigans.
Did you even look up the names of any of the upgrades you get in ME2? Shepard is superhuman no matter which class you play.
>>
>>336686131
What if he didn't use these skills and just shot his gun like a regular dude huh? did you consider that possibility?
>>
>>336686553
He would still have glowing red lights in his body and would still be able to live to be 150 if he was allowed to die of old age. And in the finale of ME3 you can even see how he's got loads of wiring and other crap in him as he disintegrates.
>>
>>336679613

Bioware does the same thing as bethesta in all their games, they make everything in the game dickride the player to mask all the flaws in the game.

Why did the reapers attack earth and not the citadel? Because the player was human, and of course humans are the most special snowflakes in the galaxy, thanks to bioware hack writing.

Shepard using that gun to coordinate the quarians fleet was pure player wanking, even a five year old kid would take to orbit to kill the Gypsy fuckers, and yet the reaper choose to die chasing Shepard, because of course a single human is more dangerous than a entire fleet.

Soreveign could give zero fucks about Shepard, and yet in 2 harbinger was almost sucking Shepard off, that's the problem with bioware, they destroy the story to make the player feel special in the most retarded ways.
>>
>>336675732
Soldier in 1
Vanguard in 2
Adept in 3
>>
>>336675294
>>
File: Adept.gif (1 MB, 320x214) Image search: [Google]
Adept.gif
1 MB, 320x214
>>336675732
Vanguard

but Adept in 3 is bretty gud
>>
>>336687259
Is that some kind of camouflage?
>>
>>336675732
Engineer
>throw sentry guns / drones
>fuck up atlases in 3
>turn hostile turrets on your side
Da bes.
>>
>>336677760

>villain is an arrogant liar

Makes sense to me. Dude's a crazy space robot. He doesn't have to make sense.
>>
>>336685053
>not allying with the brogan
GET A LOOK AT THIS SALARIAN FAGGOT!
>>
>>336687387
In the beginning yes, the strobe light thing may be to distract or lure something to it though.
>>
So is the alternate DLC ending canon or wat
>>
The Reapers come when galactic civilisation reaches a certain technological point, implied to be either immediately before or just around the time that true AI is developed. At that point, the vanguard left behind activates the Citadel and brings in the reaper fleet who ruin everything for everyone.

After the Prothean's cycle, their scientist guys snuck into the citadel and changed it so the signal doesn't work. That's why Sovereign needs to do all his bullshit instead of just sending the "come now" message. The upshot of this is that it takes him at least 100 years (probably more since it's heavily implied that the Geth uprising would be his trigger, which was ~300 years before the games are set) to even get close to turning the citadel on, and he fails. Then it's another 2-3 years before the reapers actually come.

That means that the citadel races are a full 3-400 years ahead of any other galactic race in the past billion years, in terms of technological development. So how come the protheans had so much more advanced shit? The protheans didn't get the 3-400 year delay on their cycle, theirs started when it was supposed to.
>>
File: 1434016100488.jpg (80 KB, 570x449) Image search: [Google]
1434016100488.jpg
80 KB, 570x449
>>336685053
I actually thought this was a good choice in mass effect 3.

I had a pure paragon character during the first and second games. But my character had to go full renegade in mass effect 3 to make the right choices.

But I think this was actually good game design. Showing that the right choice to make wasn't always the morally just choice. Sometimes the right choice to make is not what most people would consider "just" even if the results are the best for everyone in the long term.

Sometimes you have to be the villain to be the true hero.
>>
>>336675294
>lolno we were built by some kid to kill people so they don't build robots to kill themselves
I wonder which version is better.
>>
Good. You opened this message. This isn't actually asari military command. They're busy tending to what's left of their planet.

So you survived our fight on Thessia. You're not as weak as I thought. But never forget that your best wasn't good enough to stop me. Now an entire planet is dying because you lacked the strength to win. The legend of Shepard needs to be re-written. I hope I'm there for the last chapter. It ends with your death.

-KL
>>
>>336684514
They should have done it in order of 2 - 1 - Completely new plot

Mass Effect 1 would be Shepard working for the alliance and fighting a new mysterious group called the collectors. Anderson and Nihlus give him independent command of a team to test his ability to work on his own.
They stop the abductions, but find hints that they are working for another organisation.
Throughout the game, an interested human third party named Cerberus offers advice and resources

Mass Effect 2 would be ME1 but with callbacks to the first game

Mass Effect 3 would be you fighting Cerberus, who mostly fight via proxies due to their cell like nature and small, yet elite, armed forces.
The reaper part comes when you find out they've been indoctrinated via the parts of Sovereign they scavenged, and are working to creating a new Mass relay
>>
>>336688561
does anyone have the Nothin' Personnel kid edit?
It's the one which looks legit at first glance
>>
File: 1399617135634.jpg (594 KB, 1944x1944) Image search: [Google]
1399617135634.jpg
594 KB, 1944x1944
Would be absolutely great if in mass effect Andromeda there's a plot twist or at least some mail messages you receive confirming that the milky way galaxy actually lost to the reapers.
>>
>>336682462
>First game ends the reaper plot or whatever
>Second game has the Collectors
>Gives some kind of lore about Reapers corrupting species and such
>Third game has some kind of new foe
>Maybe its a new species that wants to be dominant
>End Shepard's story
>4th game takes place in the future
>Main character is about to be promoted to Spectre for whatever his backstory was
>Reapers show up
>"This is what Shepard warned us about!"
>>
>>336687387
The flashing hypnotizes some fish. Makes it easier to eat them.
>>
>>336686945
But Shepard objectively IS more dangerous than an entire fleet. That's arguably the entire point of the franchise; shepard is almost the living embodiment of being a badass.

Before Shepard, we know of only two reapers ever being destroyed, and one of those required a mass driver big enough to score a chasm visible from space across an entire planet. And that's in a billion years of history.

Sovereign ignores Shepard because Shepard is just some punk spec ops with a chip on their shoulder. Reapers have probably seen at least one every cycle (to put that into perspective, if the cycle has been going 1 billion years and happens roughly every 50,000 years, that's still 20,000 cycles). Then Shepard manages to outwit and then straight up kill Sovereign.

That automatically makes Shepard stand out to the reapers, and Humanity in general since their entire thing is about "preserving" life (by rendering them down to some crazy space goo and building more reapers out of them), and they are particular about choosing specific races to turn into "main" reapers like Harbinger as opposed to the smaller walking ones.So they get the collectors (their chosen servants, directly controlled and given access to their technology) to focus on humans to try and figure out what the hell this species is. Then Shepard shows up again, after seemingly being murdered by exploding space station, tracks down the collectors, wipes out their base, and kills an infant reaper on foot with small arms.

By this point in the Reaper's billion year long history, Shepard is literally the single most dangerous thing the reapers have ever encountered. It makes perfect sense for them to bumrush Earth and then bumrush Shepard whenever they encounter each other.

I mean, you can argue that it's a stupid concept to begin with, but it flows naturally within the story. It's internally consistent.
>>
>>336675294
You are a machine, so you do have a beginning
>>
>>336676148
A machine who claims
>We have no beginning
Is a machine talking out of its ass
>>
>>336688232

I just saw curing the genophage as the pragmatic solution, regardless of the ethics or morality around it.

A possible galactic war at some point in the future with the Krogan is preferable to definitely being made extinct by the reapers because we didn't have enough forces to fight them.
>>
File: 1426199095438.jpg (39 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1426199095438.jpg
39 KB, 375x375
>>336678929
But havent they become too strong, and are causing chaos every cycle? That seems a little bit totally retarded.
>>
>>336689341
Completely expecting something to happen to the communications on the ship that prevent you from finding out what happened.
>>
Is there actually anything known about the next Mass Effect? Bioware is pure shit nowadays but I'll probably still try it since I like the settings of the games..
>>
>>336691891
Yeah. That's why mass effect is popular. You know it's crap but it's just good enough to still play through. We don't really have any other space opera setting games.
>>
>>336691891
>takes place in andromeda galaxy
>play as a human
>mako and planet exploration are back
>no returning characters for obvious reasons

That's about all the official stuff although there should be a bunch more info at e3.
>>
>>336676937
But that's a good thing.
>>
>>336678929
Not sure if it was the original canon since I've only played the extended cut with all the DLCs, but that's not why the reapers were made

Leviathan noticed their vassal races had a habit of making AI that then killed them. So Leviathan made an AI (maybe; it might not be a true AI) and charged it with the specific goal of "preserving organic life" and then just let it run.

It came to the conclusion that organic life will always create synthetics that'll kill them off, so it decided to quite literally "preserve organic life" by making reapers out of them.

That's what was happening in ME2 in the collector base and it's what Sovereign meant by "we're each a nation" or whatever. Each capital ship Reaper is the processed remains of millions/billions of members of a specific race, all put into single shell, and it's either heavily implied or outright stated (can't remember which) that all the people in there are still conscious to some degree thanks to crazy future space technology and/or magic.

So it's not "kill the organics before they all die anyway", it's "preserve the organics in giant space jam jars before their robot servants murder them all and bury them under the patio".

It's still dumb but it's not quite as dumb as people think. Also Leviathan specifically notes that the catalyst (the original AI that was made, that then made the reapers, and now controls them all) is technically still running to spec, they just didn't program it well enough because they're pretty lazy. They made a programming error and fucked up everything for everyone.
>>
>>336692135
>>336692194
Fug I guess I'll just wait another month for E3..
>>
>>336691891
>>336692194
There's a character in N7 armour with no face shown in the trailers, and I'm sure I read somewhere that N7 is NOT the player character. But I can't remember where I read that so I can't say for sure.

Also there's no way they won't shoehorn a Shepard cameo in some way. There's no way they'd pass up that chance.
>>
>>336692194
Is it the same universe though? How the fuck did they travel to another galaxy without the mass relay?
>>
>>336692885
there probably won't be a cameo. isn't this game taking place during the reaper invasion?
>>
>>336690654

I agree but the game made a lot of fuss showing how Wrex and Eve were reasonable leaders that would usher the Krogans into a more civilized age.

As silly as it may seem, growing to know Wrex over the last two games made me trust him to "do it right". It seemed to be the same kind of trust Shepard received from many other races in the galaxy.
>>
>>336682214
Reapers are billions of minds thrown into one machine. A collective consciousness. Think the plot of eva
>>
File: edi.jpg (10 KB, 300x176) Image search: [Google]
edi.jpg
10 KB, 300x176
>>336676762
>FUCK MY ROBOT PUSSY DADDY IM SUCH A BAD NAUGHTY ROBOT
>>
>>336692964
it was some super secret project developed from recently found ancient technology that was supposed to evacuate people out the galaxy to save organic life from the reapers

>bioshit writing
>>
>>336692964
Supposedly they were sent to the other galaxy before the Mass Relays were destroyed to look for a new Earth in case Shepard failed.
>>
File: 0_5412814.jpg (22 KB, 539x385) Image search: [Google]
0_5412814.jpg
22 KB, 539x385
>>336691891
The developers said they were impressed with the fallout 4 marketing technique of revealing the game relatively close to launch.

We know that Shepard will come in with a prerecorded holotape showing him giving a motivational speech to the people in the ships going to Andromeda.

Also you're not going to play a soldier this time but it's still going to be a human.

Also confirmed that you'll have to explore planets with a mako.

My hypothesis is that the plot is around finding habitable planets for your human colony and the conflicts that come with that and the races upon the colony ships that all fight over the little resources for them.

Probably ending in a reveal of new species native to the Andromeda galaxy.

Hope there is a "fuck xenos, humanity forever" route.
>>
>>336692885
Sheperd is the one who gives you the briefing about finding others ways to destroy the reapers in case they fail. The MC from ME4 is likely another human spectre in training
>>
>>336693146
We don't know how long reaching Andromeda took. It might be during the invasion or after it's all over.
>>
Destroy was the best option desu
>>
>>336693214
>>336693282
fuck that already sounds bad
>>
>>336693412
If they are using real life measurement, it's at least 2,5 million light years away, which comes down to millions of years passed on earth. The reapers should be LONG gone from the Milky Way.

But it's Bioware so you never know..
>>
>retards that literally don't understand the premise that was already officially explained pretending to be elitists and that other people are retarded
>>
>>336693521
watch, every new alien species they find in different galaxy speaks english
>>
>>336694094
>all new aliens speak English
>they're all just slightly different variations of the ones we've already seen
>>
>>336694094
To be fair I like that more than the way Star Wars deals with it sometimes, just making up some shitty sounding language.
>>
>>336693517

Control*
>>
File: Dungeons and Robots.png (1 MB, 1280x968) Image search: [Google]
Dungeons and Robots.png
1 MB, 1280x968
I for one welcome our new synthetic overlords
>>
>>336694868
I'm a control freak: the post
Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.