[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At this point, if they ever intend to return to Chrono series,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 30
File: chrono-trigger.jpg (472 KB, 857x600) Image search: [Google]
chrono-trigger.jpg
472 KB, 857x600
At this point, if they ever intend to return to Chrono series, they may as well just remake Trigger
>>
Square Enix doesn't give a fuck about the Chrono series.
Besides, a remake now would just mean they turn it into an ARPG to cater to the kiddies.
>>
>>336515143
Yep
>>
>>336515143
for the #1235435 time
>>
>>336515356

but CT was already a hybrid of turn-based and action-rpg. They couldn't decide whether they were going to make another Final Fantasy or another entry in the Seiken Densetsu series, so they just kinda mashed them together.
>>
>>336515143
We should start a petition to get them to do an arpg remake of it. That would make my day.
>>
>>336515760

Add some dating sim elements too
>>
>>336515527

Secret of Mana/Seiken Denestsu is even more dead than CT despite actually getting releases in the past decade.
>>
>>336515885

that's not the point though.
>>
I'm worried if Nintendo ever gave another crack at it, like the DS port.

>remove all but 1 ending because branching paths will confuse children
>remove tech system and replace it with generic "fire 1 ice 1 lit 1" system of Final Fantasy. After all, kids can't comprehend something that complex
>censor Ayla so she's wearing a shroud all over her body. Otherwise her sexy body might suggest a T rating, we can't have that
>remove all diaog and replace it with witty one liners made by the comedians from Nintendo treehouse
>Magus is no longer playable because he uses a scythe, which would scare newcomers who are used to regular swords
>a few more tutorials so the kids aren't confused
>>
>>336516382
You're an idiot
>>
>>336516549

Or maybe I suffered through a few too many mandatory tutorials in every RPG of theirs, from Mario and Luigi, to Pokemon, to Fire Emblem. Maybe I don't like the censorship that removes entire sections of games for no reason. Maybe I don't like their overall laziness this gen.
>>
>>336516891
Nintendo has nothing to do with developing Chrono Trigger or any potential remake even if it were to be on their console. Hence, you're an idiot.
>>
>>336515143
They did a spiritual successor called "I am Setsuna"
>>
>>336516382
>remove tech system and replace it with generic "fire 1 ice 1 lit 1" system of Final Fantasy. After all, kids can't comprehend something that complex
You know Chrono Trigger was designed to be easier and more accessible than Final Fantasy, right?
>>
>>336516382
Haha.

>remove all but 1 ending because branching paths will confuse children
Because CT's story actually branches, instead of being an essentially linear thing anyway that you'll have to more or less play through in your first run and just spurts out different endings at you depending on a few choices and when you decide to finish it.

Because holy shit, CT's tech system is so much more complex than what's offered by Pokemon, Golden Sun and Fire Emblem's battle systems. Putting a group of characters together, having them auto learn select abilities and then using them to do more damage is just mind boggling.

>censor Ayla so she's wearing a shroud all over her body. Otherwise her sexy body might suggest a T rating, we can't have that
Ok, I'll give you this one,
>>
>>336516891
>>336516382
The censorship in the SNES version was actually removed for the DS re-translation, you dumbass.
>>
File: 1383672891729.jpg (2 MB, 3960x1612) Image search: [Google]
1383672891729.jpg
2 MB, 3960x1612
>>336515143
Every time they do that they just shove more and more chrono cross references into the game.

No fucking thanks.
>>
>tfw no prehistoric waifu in HD
>>
>>336518476
>censorship removed for a version made on a more deliberately child-pandering console
>>
File: 1445949646039.jpg (135 KB, 608x717) Image search: [Google]
1445949646039.jpg
135 KB, 608x717
>>336518565
>>
>>336515143
Why are people so desperate for a sequel? Games like this should have never had a sequel. It makes it that much more legendary that it never really had one.

Cross fags please shut up.
>>
>>336518559
cry more.
>>
CT never needed a sequel. Don't get me wrong I thoroughly enjoy CC but could've been much better if they didn't try to force the CT connection
>>
>>336518619
If you think I'm lying, go look it up. The references to alcohol, death, and lewd are all back in the script on the DS version.
>>
They were working on another called Chrono Break, but it was cancelled in favor of another Final Fantasy game. Really I don't think Chrono needs to be a continuing franchise anyways.
>>
File: 3697411.jpg (145 KB, 565x800) Image search: [Google]
3697411.jpg
145 KB, 565x800
No.
>>
>>336518765
this
not every game has to be a fucking 'series' or 'franchise'
chrono trigger had a grand total of one unresolved plot point
the world was entirely self contained
>>
>>336518776
literally just cuz the dev's had to have been doing something to the game besides the usual cross platform code translation
>>
>>336518957

Nah bruh, it was the Nu.
>>
>>336519019
They did do a lot more than that actually. There's several new dungeons and features added. The DS version is the definitive version.
>>
>CT remake
>Nomura in charge instead of dream team
>fuccboi crono
>sjw lucca
>moeshit marle
>christmas cake ayla
>cyborg bish robo
>frog turned into a girl drawn as a boy, and not a frog

Fuck no
>>
>>336518758
Make me.
>>
>>336518559

Which is why you just reboot the entire thing, avoid a hard canon and treat Cross as a potential side story

I would enjoy a remake of CT that played out at first like the original, but then suddenly all this crazy stuff starts happening with the story and characters that makes it almost like a remake and a sequel/prequel/midquel that makes it impossible for Cross to fit in unless you treat Cross as happening in a separate universe altogether

>>336518765

Cross was actually going to be a separate game entirely until they decided to connect it with CT due to the presence of time travel in both, which is why CC felt like an entirely separate thing.
>>
>>336515143
It really doesn't need one. Of all the JRPGs released back then, it's easily one of the most easily accessible ones, and still looks great. With games like FFVII I understand since it looks and plays extremely dated even by PSX standards, but for late SNES games like CT there just is no point.
>>
I'm playing through this game for the first time right now and I'm fucking loving it, shit's comfy.

I've heard mixed responses to Chrono Cross, is it worth playing if I'm enjoying trigger?
>>
>>336519646
They are 2 different games tbhfam just know that going in
>>
File: Chrono Trigger DS.jpg (44 KB, 640x576) Image search: [Google]
Chrono Trigger DS.jpg
44 KB, 640x576
>>336515143
>remake Trigger
But they already did that...
>>
>>336519108
Unfortunately, the added content is incredibly boring and it's rewards only serve to make an easy game even easier. Also, despite being less faithful, I prefer the SNES translation's dialogue for the most part.
>>
>>336519832
Are there any differences between the DS version and the SNES version?
>>
>>336519957
It's better
>>
>>336519957
Redone translation.

Some new areas. New OP weapons and such. That's it.
>>
>>336519957
DS version has better translation, the PS1 cutscenes (you can turn them off if you don't want them) added dungeons, and an extra ending

Its the definitive version of the game.
>>
File: 1450823876547.jpg (55 KB, 340x360) Image search: [Google]
1450823876547.jpg
55 KB, 340x360
>>336515143

Chrono Trigger is one of the few games that doesn't need a remake. Especially since it would be remade in 3D with 1 minute long attack animations and voice acting. And done by a secondary team in SquareEnix. You really want Chrono Trigger to be remade like Final Fantasy IV?

Now Chrono Cross on the other hand does need a remake. And Matoko Kato still works with Square so it could happen. Its just Square execs who are blocking it. But since Yuji Horii also works with SquareEnix, and the companies are merged now, they should just make a new game. Bringing back everyone important from the original Chrono Trigger team. So basically everyone except Sakaguchi or Nomura.
>>
>>336519465

The argument isn't that CT needs a remake. The DS version is a great version and really all they need to do to keep the game alive is just release a port of that in a few years to a new console with just a couple more features added, if even that.

But if there's ever going to be another entry in the Chrono series itself, it doesn't make any sense to make a third game that follows Cross. Cross wraps things up pretty tightly for one thing, and secondly both games are pretty old, Cross, the last entry, approaching the twenty year mark without a single spin off or sequel to the game. There's also the fact that although Cross is remembered for its innovative gameplay and great design, the story was all kinds of weird and it's connection to CT felt very tenuous, leading some fans to regard it as breaking away from the spirit of CT right down to complete overhaul in design (when I first played it, I knew it was part of the Chrono series, but was taken aback by the suggestion that this was actually supposed to be the same world as CT when they felt almost nothing alike, at the beginning I thought the Chrono series was just going to be like Final Fantasy with separate stand alone stories featuring time travel). I don't know anyone who says that likes Trigger and feels that Cross is a definitive sequel. Cross was an experimental game with good ideas that got slapped on with the Chrono label cause they didn't want to market it as a standalone game.

The only real option, if they ever did return to the Chrono would be to do something that ignores Cross and also introduces players to the IP who never played CT. A remake/reboot would probably be the most sensible option in that case.
>>
File: 1448763623687.jpg (47 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1448763623687.jpg
47 KB, 256x256
>>336519957

DS version is a port of the SNES game with the FMVs of the PS1 version added in (removing load times). It also has optional touch controls added. It also has an option to save whatever endings you got, so you can get all the endings on one save file. It also has a unique ending that ties the game to Chrono Cross (very poorly). It also features two new end game areas and a bunch of pointless fetch quests (I hope you like running up mountains). And it has a more accurate translation.

In all, its basically the same game with bad end game content tacked on.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ANEBIB0oao

Would it have been good /v/?
>>
>>336520474

Even if they didn't get a C&D letter, it still wouldn't be done.
>>
>>336519957
Chrono cross conections, new dungeos, a new ending
>>
>>336520474
No.
>>
>>336515143
There is literally nothing about Chrono Trigger that needs to be remade. It is 100% perfect as it is.
>>
>>336520817

nobody is saying it needs to be remade though,
>>
>>336520817
needs good graphics
>>
If anything a cross remake would be cool. This time turn guile into not-magus to reveal him later as actually-magus-in-disguise and change the chick in the tome devourer to actually look like Schala
>>
>>336521010
It is already a beautiful game.
>>
>>336521010
it'd be cool if they kept the 16 bit pixelart but added high detailed particle explosion effects but for one reason or another we can't have nice things
>>
>>336515143
The game is good as-is to me, especially since it's my all-time favorite game, but I would not be opposed to something that'd make it relevant again. Chrono Cross needs a remake more, and by remake, I mean a big one. While the music was fantastic and the concept of alternate dimensions was done pretty well, the story was confusing and was a punch in the gut to CT players. Also, 40+ party members is just overkill for an RPG. No one ends up using all of them, and it kills any potential fleshing out for most of the cast.
>>
>>336521416
>>336521079

I think instead of saying "Cross needs a remake," it's more proper to say "Chrono Trigger needs a proper sequel."
>>
>>336521526
I'm okay with that
>>
>>336521526
If they can make it work, I'd be down for that. Would it have the same playable cast with a few changes or would it have an all-new cast?
>>
>>336521526
Chrono Trigger doesn't need a sequel unless you mean "similar gameplay and atmosphere but not plot related".
>>
>>336521851
>Big bad still will be lavos+schala
>MC serge again,just change/remove the 'your dad turned into a furry and now wants to rape you'
>Chrono, Marle and Lucca too busy with adult life stuff to travel. They still give you advice and marle can give some end-game gear to Kid

And this time dont go with the 40-man raid. You still rotate like 5 characters anyway
>>
>>336521526

Radical Dreamers and Chrono Cross weren't trying to be sequels. Yet despite this, I counted at least 42 connections in Chrono Cross to Chrono Trigger. Would have been 44 if Kato had time to flesh out the sub plot for Guile and Balthisar.
>>
>>336522397
If we're using Chrono Cross's cast, Serge, Kid, and Glenn are pretty much shoe-ins, maybe Guile, too (if they use the idea that he's Magus in disguise). Cross had a lot of characters that had no real purpose in the plot so they can be excluded.
>>
>>336515143
>they may as well just remake Trigger
and ruin it?
fuck no
>>
>>336515527
>They couldn't decide whether they were going to make another Final Fantasy or another entry in the Seiken Densetsu series, so they just kinda mashed them together.

That's not how it happened
I suggest you read on Chrono Trigger's development before running off your mouth like a retard
>>
File: nobuo-uematsu.jpg (22 KB, 425x292) Image search: [Google]
nobuo-uematsu.jpg
22 KB, 425x292
>remake Chrono Trigger
>ARPG
>broken up into 6 'episodes'
>Lightning and Cloud shoe-horned in
>all music replaced with shitty slow rock piano remixes
>Chrono talks
>>
>>336516891
What does Nintendo have to do with Chrono Trigger again?

You do realize Chrono Trigger is a Square-Enix title right?
>>
File: laughing son and father.jpg (43 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
laughing son and father.jpg
43 KB, 640x480
>>336520474
No.
>>
File: 1446170624153.jpg (528 KB, 1059x905) Image search: [Google]
1446170624153.jpg
528 KB, 1059x905
>>336515527

>but CT was already a hybrid of turn-based and action-rpg.
You're an idiot.

>They couldn't decide whether they were going to make another Final Fantasy or another entry in the Seiken Densetsu series, so they just kinda mashed them together.
Chrono Trigger was made because during a trip to the US, Sakaguchi (Creator of Final Fantasy) was talking to Yuji Horii (creator of Dragon Quest). And Sakaguchi pointed out that he really wanted to make a game with Akira Toriyama (designer for Dragon Quest). Yuji Horii brought the two together and oversaw Makoto Kato on developing a story and setting for the game.

The game was literally based on an off-hand remark of Sakaguchi saying 'I want to make a game in the world of Akira Toriyama'. And then a whole staff made it happen, with Sakaguchi having little to do with it.
>>
>>336518124
There's nothing complex about Final Fantasy
Chrono Trigger and FF are about as complex as each-other...they're both very simplistic games
>>
>>336521851
>>336522397
>>336522871

Off the top of my head, I would say I would enjoy something between a remake of CT but is also a sequel itself that draws on some of the ideas brought in by Cross and the Time Devourer level with plenty of references to Cross, but is clearly overwriting Cross in a lot of ways so that the original CT can stand on its own with or without Cross and with or without this particular hypothetical sequel. Again, off the top of my head:

Add in the element of alternate yet connected universes from Cross, but here you're meeting alternate versions of the original party from different timelines as well as new characters or characters who are references to their versions in Cross, but with permanently playable characters being like 12.
>>
>>336518758
no fuck you crossfaggot
>>
>>336515143
>they may as well just remake Trigger

Fuck you. That game has been rereleased more times than any other game in history.
Fucking remake Chrono Cross.
>>
>>336523640

>There's nothing complex about Final Fantasy
Except their stories. And note, I don't mean complex as a compliment. I mean complex as in 'full of so many stupid plot twists and contradictions that it kills itself'.
>>
>>336518765
>CT never needed a sequel.
Sakaguchi wanted to turn Chrono Trigger into a series but was denied by upper management

And then they turned around and gave that autist Masato Kato free-reign to shit all over the franchise

Although it'd be hard to make a Chrono Trigger 2 that lives up to the original nowadays...especially because Yuji Hori prefers to just make Dragon Quest over and over and over and over again
>>
>>336523826

>That game has been rereleased more times than any other game in history.
Its been released 3 times (four if you count PSN which is just a re-release of the PS1 version).

That's even less times than Dragon Quest III. Let alone some Pokemon/Final Fantasy/Star Wars games.
>>
>>336523826
>rereleased more than any other game in history
What? I can only think of the DS version. Not counting the digital ones like the iOS version and Virtual Console, since those are more or less just ports.
>>
>>336523951

>And then they turned around and gave that autist Masato Kato free-reign to shit all over the franchise
He wrote the bulk of the story and Sakaguchi did next to nothing. It was his to 'fuck up'. Which Chrono Cross didn't fuck up anything.

And even if they did make a total sequel to Chrono Trigger with the exact same engine, characters and everything else, people like you would have still complained it 'wasn't as good as the original wah!'
>>
>m-muh Chrono Cross
I fucking hate Triggerfags
Their game is inferior.
>>
>>336519108
>The DS version is the definitive version.
Fuck no

>weaker sound(final boss theme doesn't have the stereo-effect)
>small screen
>small text
>cross/masato kato fanfiction faggotry
>no original snes intro instead they use the shitty animu intro which sucks
>no shakespeare frog
>new translation in general has less charm
>changed attack/item names(this triggers my autism)

They should have just went with the SNES translation and removed the censorship instead for the DS Port imo

The SNES version remains the best one
>>
>>336523907
>Except their stories.
Not anymore complex than CT's
Chrono Trigger's story was pretty damn complex
It spanned throughout 7 timelines ffs
>>
>>336524102
>He wrote the bulk of the story
No he fucking didn't this is total bullshit
He only wrote Zeal Kingdom in the Original CT

The rest was mostly Yuji Horii
>>
>>336524389
You mean the PS1 port, which is the definitive version.
>b-but those loading times
I don't remember any.
>>
>>336524580
>Chrono Trigger's story was pretty damn complex

No it wasn't. It was simple as fuck. That's why so many people love it.
>>
>>336524115
>m-muh Chrono Trigger
I fucking hate Crossfags
Their game is inferior
>>
Is this worth playing now?
>>
>>336523257
>I suggest you read on Chrono Trigger's development before running off your mouth like a retard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono_Trigger

>Square intended to license the work under the Seiken Densetsu franchise and gave it the working title of "Maru Island"; Hiromichi Tanaka (the future director of Chrono Cross) monitored Toriyama's early designs.[36]
>Features originally intended to be used in Secret of Mana or Final Fantasy IV, also under development at the same time, were appropriated by the Chrono Trigger team.[41]

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Development_of_Final_Fantasy_VII

>Sakaguchi intended the story to take place in modern New York City in the year 1999. Several of the staff were working in parallel on Chrono Trigger, and development for Final Fantasy VII was interrupted when the other project became significant enough to require the help of director Yoshinori Kitase and other designers. Some of the ideas originally considered for Final Fantasy VII ended up in Chrono Trigger and other ideas, such as the New York setting and the sorceress character Edea, were kept unused until the later projects Parasite Eve and Final Fantasy VIII respectively.

I'm sorry hyperbole is beyond your comprehension anon
>>
>>336524702
The load times on that version are unbearable
>b-but I don't remember them!!!
doesn't mean they don't exist faggot
>>
>>336523640
I'm not saying that Final Fantasy is complex, just that Chrono Trigger was made to be easier to play than Final Fantasy. If you analyze CT and compare it to the FF games at the time, you'll see it's much simpler.
>very few enemies that can deal status effects
>nearly every character has a healing move
>most healing moves restore status effects as well, where in FF there's a different spell category for that
>no KO status outside of battle
>more savepoints in dungeons than in FF
>more NPCs directing the player where to go next
>very Zelda-like flow of getting new abilities and then being faced with enemies that are weak to that ability

Not to imply that I'm criticizing the game for any of this. My point was just that it's silly to say that they'd dumb it down to FF levels when CT was already intended to be FF for casuals.
>>
>>336520156
>Chrono Trigger is one of the few games that doesn't need a remake. Especially since it would be remade in 3D with 1 minute long attack animations and voice acting.

>tfw Chrono Trigger remake with 2D Cel Animation like Cuphead never ever
>>
File: TreasureOfTheRudrasJapan.png (1 MB, 912x570) Image search: [Google]
TreasureOfTheRudrasJapan.png
1 MB, 912x570
Remaking Trigger would be pointless.

I'd rather have a remake of this, with region-free made-up mystic runes replacing the text input for spells, that way it's no issue to translate that shit again.
If not, then just a version that's entirely bug-free.
What a fucking shame.
>>
>>336524758
Absolutely, especially if you're a RPG fan. The game has aged really well.
>>
>>336524929
Then get the PSN version faggot. Removes all those load times that trigger faggpts like you so much.
>>
>>336524389
>no shakespeare frog
Fuck off, woosley.
>>
>>336524758
Yes. CT has probably aged the best out of all of Square's RPGs.
>>
File: BLagoon_box.jpg (60 KB, 783x432) Image search: [Google]
BLagoon_box.jpg
60 KB, 783x432
>>336525168
Ey, fug u, mang.
>>
>>336525109
I'm going to be honest when I say that I can't really imagine Frog talking any other way.
>>
>>336515356
>Besides, a remake now would just mean they turn it into an ARPG to cater to the kiddies.
Wouldn't mind that.
The time travel stuff and character synergy is what I liked in Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>336525336
Then you're retarded. Since he talks like a feudal era samurai.
>>
>>336524580

Read my whole post. Complex isn't always a positive connotation. And Chrono Trigger is not complex. Its a good story precisely because they followed the formula of Back to the Future with simple time travel mechanics. Rather than trying to be overly 'complex' like FFI, VIII and X.
>>
File: Final_Fantasy_Mystic_US_boxart.jpg (47 KB, 495x343) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_Mystic_US_boxart.jpg
47 KB, 495x343
>>336515356
>>336525390
I'd rather have this fucker turned into an ARPG.
on the Felghana engine
>>
>>336525336
There was a text LP on something awful where the poster justified Frog talking like a pompous stereotype of a knight while everyone else in the era doesn't
He isn't the hero, Cyrus is. Frog is a tagalong nobody who suddenly has to live up to his impossibly high vision of Cyrus and does so by becoming a storybook hero, literally waiting in the rafters to save a damsel in distress.
Woolsey was probably just going for 'this is the medieval character, he needs a medieval accent' thing, but damned if it doesn't fit thematically
>>
>>336525505

That's one reason why a lot of fans didnt like Cross.
>>
>>336525546
Mystic Quest doesn't need to be changed at all. Its perfect.
>>
>>336518559
was the story for cross pretty fiddly?
>>
>>336524796
that's far from "they couldn't decide if they would make another FF or another SD and then they mixed them together"

which is bullshit since SD3 came out the same year
>>
File: fucking end it.gif (3 MB, 245x263) Image search: [Google]
fucking end it.gif
3 MB, 245x263
>>336525546
>>336525276
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryuji_Sasai
>After completing the score to Bushido Blade 2[10] and Action dispersed in 1998, Sasai left Square.[2] He was originally going to score two role-playing games after Bushido Blade 2, but due to circumstances with the company, it did not come to pass. Since he had been given no other assignments by the company, he decided to leave Square. Under a pseudonym, he subsequently composed and arranged music for bishōjo games, pachinko machines, and bands. Sasai is currently a bass guitarist for the Queen tribute band, Queen Mania, and the rock band Spiders from Cabaret
>>
>>336525760
>can kill the final boss with a single spell
Nah, man.
>>
>>336523521
>with Sakaguchi having little to do with it
this is bullshit
gooch was the lead designer of the game
>>
What's the name of that upcoming game that's supposed to be a spiritual successor to CT?

I Am Rebecca or some shit like that?
>>
>>336525956
Nah it takes multiple castings of Cure. Never seen it happen with 1.
>>
>>336526021
Use Life, dingus.
>>
>>336526002
I am Setsuna
>>
>>336526002
>getting the name wrong this hard
lol
>>
>>336525546
There should be sandbox-type sites and forums for people that want to make ARPG reboots of their favorite classic JRPGs. That would be so wonderful and motivating but for one reason or the other places like that including /v/ are just shitposting clusterfucks.
>>
File: 1455691880664.jpg (83 KB, 470x333) Image search: [Google]
1455691880664.jpg
83 KB, 470x333
>>336525276
Anyone who ever says that any character other than Yoyo is the most insufferable cunt in any game has clearly never played this.
>>
>>336524986
And in FF6 you can learn everyone the same abilities and just destroy everything in your way with little to no thought required

Nah
Chrono Trigger wasn't "FF for Casuals"
Chrono Trigger was just FF with a lot more polish to it
>>
>>336525725
You make a good point. Frog's Ye Olde English accent grew on me a lot and that's the only reason I can't picture him with anything else. I don't hate the DS translation of his lines, though.

On another note, what're everyone's favorite party in CT? Mine was Chrono, Ayla, and Magus/Robo.
>>
>>336520474
It would've never been finished and if it had it would've been complete shit. There doesn't exist a single fan made game that is 100% complete and/or worth playing at all.

Besides, if the devs really wanted to finish this game, they could have. What the fuck was Square gonna do? Confiscate their hard drives?
>>
>>336523826
>That game has been rereleased more times than any other game in history
Somebody has never heard of Rayman 2
>>
>>336525851

Chrono Trigger had been in development since Secret of Mana 1 was being developed and came out late in the SNES' life. All I was referencing was the fact that it was originally billed as an entry in the Seiken Densetsu series and was constantly borrowing elements from the FF games that were in production at the same time due to sharing of staff and ideas for one being scrapped and put into another, to the point that the game's development cycle was even linked to that of VII's. Had certain things been different, the game may very well have come out as an entry in one of these series rather than it's own thing. And in many ways, the game is definitely like SD & FF had a baby.

Again, I'm sorry you have poor skills in rhetoric that you can't tell when people are simplifying or exaggerating things for the sake of humor or saving time.
>>
>>336526383
Rayman 1 was rereleased more than Rayman 2.
>>
>>336524702
the music was fucked
>>
>>336526217
>MC (Byuu) all set to marry up with Princess Yoyo, his true love, and be all royal and shit
>Byuu gets stockholm'd after Yoyo gets kidnapped
>has to work with the captor anyways to defeat the final boss, all while being urged on by Yoyo, further rubbing salt on the wound
>Yoyo still drooling all over Palpaleos (enemy captor)'s nuts and going to get married to him, completely killing Byuu's chances of the good life
>Palpaleos gets executed, Yoyo is STILL all over this guy's junk, only other dude with a millionth of a shot at her now is Matelite (captain of the guard), and well, he's Matelite, so, uh, yeah.
>Byuu pretty much spends the rest of his miserable days flying around with dragons and an old faggot (literally, the guy is old and extremely gay for Byuu, though Byuu doesn't return the favor)
>The end
>>
>>336524720
>>336525505
The story was not complex
The storytelling however WAS Complex

Chrono Trigger is the video game equivalent of Back to the Future

Do you know how easy it is to fuck up a Time Travel story? And do you know how hard it is to make a Time Travel story that doesn't suck?

Chrono Trigger has a simple plot-line when you look at the big picture but the way it's executed is very complex
It's not easy to tell a story that spans 7 different time periods as well as CT did in which each time period seemed to link to one-another with not many plotholes
>>
>>336527045
>The storytelling however WAS Complex

No it really wasn't.
It was literally, here's the big bad boss go kill it.
>>
File: gromitavatar1.jpg (26 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
gromitavatar1.jpg
26 KB, 100x100
>>336527045

>The story was not complex
>The storytelling however WAS Complex
I know what you're trying to say. But its still wrong. If anything, its more about the game mechanics being complex within a simple story. Going from 65 million BC to 12,000 AD doesn't take much from a story perspective. But it took a lot at that time to make it work as a game mechanic.
>>
File: 1455130879016.jpg (4 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
1455130879016.jpg
4 KB, 225x224
>>336527038
>moaning coming from Yoyo's room that isn't due to the Holy Dragons
>>
>>
>>336526479
You said they "mashed FF and SD together"
It's the opposite
Chrono Trigger originally started as a game called "Maru Island"

That project was split into 2 different games during development
"Chrono Trigger" and "Seiken Densetsu 2:
>>
>>336527223
bullshit

>>336527413
>I know what you're trying to say. But its still wrong.
No it isn't
You're taking shit for granted and probably didn't pay enough attention to the storytelling

All the ancestor/descendant stuff is incredibly consistent
You go to the past and you see what event caused what and 99% of the time it makes sense
Like for example when you kill Yakra in 600AD his descendant Yakra XIII comes to get revenge if you do Marle's side-quest

That is complex storytelling
CT's brilliant storytelling is often overlooked because it's not generic "muh feels" crap like in the Final Fantasy series
>>
>>336529302

Consistency isn't 'complex'. Though plenty of stories don't remain consistent and therefore it is rare. But all stories should be consistent with the rules it established. You're basically just pointing out that Chrono Trigger was a good story. But that doesn't make it complex.

Something like Final Fantasy VIII is far more complex as a story. But it isn't consistent or good.
>>
File: 1386286125195.jpg (143 KB, 780x780) Image search: [Google]
1386286125195.jpg
143 KB, 780x780
>>336515143
Please, don't let them ruin one of the last remaining franchises square actually did good by.

They already fucked it up with the garbage extra content on the DS remake, trying to imply that CC is a direct sequel despite the orginal dream team's wishes.

If they wanted to remake CT, they would have stolen the assets from the fan 3D remake project they C&D a long time ago and released it on the 3DS.
>>
>>336529598
But it IS Complex
The story is simple but it's told in a very complicated way

You try telling Chrono Trigger's story from beginning to finish to somebody...it will be very difficult because most of the story events are connected to something from a past time period(which is connected by another event caused further in the past etc.) which is why it's complicated

In the game it all seems so simple because CT's narrative fits the medium of video games like a glove but when you really start to think about it you realize just how much there's to it

You're confusing "confusing storytelling" with "complex storytelling" methinks
FF7 is the former,CT is the latter
>>
>>336528372
>You said they "mashed FF and SD together"

which was referring to the fact that ideas developed for the other games were used for it

>It's the opposite

not at all. Most of the ideas which came to be used for Chrono Trigger were originally developed or intended for other games before they were chosen to be reserved for or also included in it right down to the combat system. Chrono Trigger is in a lot of ways the quintessential Square RPG because it sits nicely between each series Square was working on at the time side by side with it (Dragon Quest, SD, FF)

>Chrono Trigger originally started as a game called "Maru Island"

which was going to be a Seiken Densetsu game.

>That project was split into 2 different games during development "Chrono Trigger" and "Seiken Densetsu 2:

That's not what happened. Seiken Densetsu 2 was already in separate production alongside Maru Island, but Maru Island was original billed as an entry in the SD franchise. Elements that weren't used in SD2/Secret of Mana were instead used for Chrono Trigger.
>>
File: x_strike_1.jpg (25 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
x_strike_1.jpg
25 KB, 640x360
>>336515143
Why the fuck is nobody talking about Project Setsuna anymore?

It's literally the spiritual successor to Trigger.
>>
>>336525725

Wait, the frog talks like a normal fag in the Ds version?
>>
>>336530723
"After we finished FFIII, we started FFIV with the idea of a slightly more action-based, dynamic overworld rather than keep combat as a completely separate thing. But, at some point, it wound up not being IV anymore… Instead, it was eventually released as “Seiken Densetsu” (Secret of Mana), but during development it was actually referred to as “Chrono Trigger”. (laugh)

At the time, just after FFIII, we were working with Mr. Toriyama on a game with a seamless, side-view system. A CD-ROM attachment for the Super Famicom was scheduled to be released, you see. So we had this enormous game planned out for the CD-ROM attachment, but ultimately we were never able to release it.

So we had the Chrono Trigger project changed to a new game, and this other game we had been working on was condensed down into Seiken Densetsu 2. Because of this, Seiken 2 always felt like a sequel to FFIII to me."
http://legendsoflocalization.com/final-fantasy-iv-secret-of-mana-and-chrono-trigger-had-a-connection/

>Dragon Quest
That was an Enix Title
Back then Square and Enix were separate companies
>>
>>336530986
Did this ever get an english release?
>>
>>336531102
The original SNES translation is the only time Frog talked with a noticeable accent.
>>
>>336530986
>It's literally the spiritual successor to Trigger.
More like it's a souless ripoff of it
>>
>>336531102
No, but he doesn't have quite the level of "M'lady, thou'rt in danger!" vibe to his speech anymore. All the NPC's from the middle ages have this like... 18th century English accent to them.
>>
>>336531185
>"After we finished FFIII, we started FFIV with the idea of a slightly more action-based, dynamic overworld rather than keep combat as a completely separate thing. But, at some point, it wound up not being IV anymore… Instead, it was eventually released as “Seiken Densetsu” (Secret of Mana), but during development it was actually referred to as “Chrono Trigger”. (laugh)

you realize this proves my point and not yours right?
>>
>>336531281
How so? Generally curious, havnt picked it up yet.
>>
>>336530986

How exactly is it a "spiritual successor". It just looks like a game heavily inspired by it.

>>336531229

it's supposed to come out this july
>>
File: gargoyle.png (400 B, 27x31) Image search: [Google]
gargoyle.png
400 B, 27x31
>>336531229
"The first game from Square Enix's Tokyo RPG Factory, I Am Setsuna, will come to PlayStation 4 and Windows PC via Steam July 19."

>>336531281
why are you even mad
>>
>>336531404
Except it doesn't
>>
>>336531540
It's basically mentioned as such in every article I've read about it, as well as the wikipedia page:

"The concept originated from plans to re-create a game similar to classic RPGs from the genre's golden age. The staff was made up of developers who agreed with this vision. In keeping with this, the battle system was adopted from role-playing games like early Final Fantasy titles and other games like Chrono Trigger. The game's playtime was designed to be similar to SNES games of the 90s, going against the prevalent trend of added content with the scale and power of gaming technology. One of the difficult elements was balancing the game's difficulty so it could be enjoyed by both casual and hardcore gamers.[9] The battle system was specifically based on the Active Time Battle system used in Chrono Trigger.[8][12] According to Hashimoto, Chrono Trigger was used as inspiration due to its popularity, it being a favorite of the assembled development team, and the fact that there were few spiritual successors to it on the market."
>>
>>336531491
Come on
It's just a "look at me Chrono Trigger fans" game

It's a blatant shallow attempt to bait CT Fans
>>
File: 1458912603633.png (26 KB, 354x425) Image search: [Google]
1458912603633.png
26 KB, 354x425
>>336525863
>>
>>336531892
Aside from the battle system, what else is a rip off? If it has a good story like CT did, and the music isnt shit, i dont see why this wouldnt be a good game in its own right.
>>
>>336531753

Actually it does, my original post that you threw an autistic fit about said "They couldn't decide whether they were going to make another Final Fantasy or another entry in the Seiken Densetsu series, so they just kinda mashed them together."

which is referencing, albeit exaggeratedly (on purpose), exactly what you just posted where the development cycle of Chrono Trigger has the game at one point being an entry into the Final Fantasy series, then later Seiken Densetsu or one entry in the Seiken Densetsu franchise, and then finally it's own game.

and you're sitting there calling others retarded.
>>
Chrono Trigger is overrated. The music,"atmosphere", story, and graphics are good, but the gameplay is lacking.
>>
CT already has 3 releases on 3 different consoles and each selling less than the previous one because everyone already owned the previous versions, a remake would be a mistake especially since they wouldn't even add any of CT's originally cut content anyway.

It needs a proper sequel but modern Squeenix definitely isn't fit to make one, Setsuna is fine since it's not related story wise and is made by a new team. 99% of the original CT team hasn't been at Squeenix for years.

The thing is they already explored a couple of plot points from CT in other games, like Xenogears which incorporated what most likely at one point, before it started its full development, was the team's desire to explore Lavos' origin as something more than a space parasite.

They could still do that by having the CT party visit other planets and timelines where Lavos spawns flew off to infect other planets, which would really be the only interesting direction they could take the story forward, especially after whatever CC did with alternate dimensions was just shit and the other half of what it wanted to do plot wise was just recycled from Xenogears anyway.
>>
File: 1454221539279.png (259 KB, 358x339) Image search: [Google]
1454221539279.png
259 KB, 358x339
>>336531892
I'm sorry to hear that you have become so jaded over the years.

I see it as a huge sequestering of resources to bring golden era JRPGs to the modern age of gaming. The Japanese release on PS4/Vita did pretty fucking good, too, so I'm sure they actually put a lot of care and effort into the new ip.

Plus, if it does well, Setsuna can become a new RPG series that isn't a spinoff of FF/DQ/SMT/etc. which is awesome. I can see Tokyo RPG Factory making a new Setsuna title for each season of the year since this first installment takes places in the winter.
>>
>>336532624

If Setsuna turns out to be a success though, it might encourage further use of the CT formula, which could mean that a proper Chrono game could also be made in the future that is true to that formula which made it successful
>>
>>336532495
I'm the same with you, but I didn't really think the story was that good, either. Weaker than FFVI's, and that's not saying much.
>>
What do you guys think of Chrono Trigger Crimson Echoes?
I just tried it out an hour ago, its pretty shit.
>>
>>336532313
>"They couldn't decide whether they were going to make another Final Fantasy or another entry in the Seiken Densetsu series, so they just kinda mashed them together."
Which is incorrect

They were developing what would be FFIV but it turned into something too different so they changed the title into "Chrono Trigger" and then ultimately changed the final name to SD2 because of the SNES CD project being scrapped and thus the original CD project got canned and some of the ideas that were dropped were later implemented into what became "Chrono Trigger" in 1995

So long story short Seiken Densetsu 2 was originally supposed to be "Chrono Trigger"
>>
>>336533490
It's terrible because of severe balance issues, although considering it was never truly finished, that's not too surprising.
>>
File: 1374383963435.jpg (9 KB, 251x235) Image search: [Google]
1374383963435.jpg
9 KB, 251x235
>>336533490
Anything from the Chrono Compendium is pure autismo fanfiction.
>>
>>336532656
The game seems uninspired and bland to me
Boring art direction,bland animations and mediocre graphics
It looks generic as hell and with no character to separate it from the rest of the stuff in the market

It looks like a shovelware RPG from the PS2 era with the "inspired by CHRONO TRIGGER" bullshit to me

>I see it as a huge sequestering of resources
The game looks low-budget as fuck
These are PS2-era or even DS-era graphics at best
>>
>>336532624
If they ever want to truly do a CT follow-up they shouldn't even try to deal with a direct sequel or the mess that's Cross' storyline.

They should just set out with the idea of "lets make another Dragon Ball-esque RPG," go wild from there and treat it as a spiritual successor. The Chrono lore is fucking complicated as hell now and there's nothing else you can do with the original cast.
>>
>>336534279
>"lets make another Dragon Ball-esque RPG,"
There's plenty of Dragon Ball RPG's out there

With the Modern Square Enix team though you would get something like Dragon Quest Heroes out of it
>>
>>336531815

I wonder if they'll ever release this for Nintendo plats in the future, what with it being heavily inspired by the SNES classic and SNES Final Fantasies.
>>
File: 1457734608273.png (2 MB, 1280x907) Image search: [Google]
1457734608273.png
2 MB, 1280x907
>>336534279

>They should just set out with the idea of "lets make another Dragon Ball-esque RPG,"
Its sad how many people in the west don't even know what Dragon Quest is.
>>
>>336535083
I play a lot of Dragon Quest games anon.
I should have specified that I meant directed and designed by the Final Fantasy dev team, not a Horii project. Chrono Trigger is so memorable and fresh because it brought in the best of both worlds.
>>
>>336532656

>I see it as a huge sequestering of resources to bring golden era JRPGs to the modern age of gaming

It's a nice thought and fun to dream about, but even Bravely Default couldn't accomplish that, despite its stellar reception.
>>
>>336535363
Well it's highly unlikely that Horii would participate in such a project again sadly since nowadays he just prefers to make Dragon Quest over and over again
>>
>>336535437
This
I am Setsuna looks more like Bravely Default than Chrono Trigger

It looks like a handheld low budget title and not a console title
It has the look of a "me too Korean MMORPG"

If they really wanna "reinvent" the SNES era then take some inspiration from Cuphead and make an RPG with 2D Cel Animation for consoles/PC and put the same amount of polish into it and everything from the music to the gameplay to the animations,to the UI,to the menu's to basically everything

Also get character artists that don't suck not the low budget shitters from doujinshi circles
>>
>>336535363

Well if that's what you mean, Chrono Trigger was more of a Horii/Kato project than a Square project. Sakaguchi didn't do much of the story or planning. And guys like Kitase and Nomura handled programing and art assets.

Its more of a Dragon Quest project than you think.

>>336535592

Horii is very open to doing other projects. He still makes Itadaki Street games (one of which is still the only FF x DQ cross over game SquareEnix has made). I'm sure he'd be open to working on a new Chrono game. Its been the Square side who has been against it for years (as well as blocking Dragon Quest games in the west). Hopefully their recent management changes will fix these issues.
>>
>>336533517
>Which is incorrect

Again, it was never meant to be taken literally. I was not suggesting literally that Square was sitting there saying "do we call it FF or SD? Aw, fuck it, let's just call it Chrono Trigger"

>They were developing what would be FFIV but it turned into something too different so they changed the title into "Chrono Trigger" and then ultimately changed the final name to SD2 because of the SNES CD project being scrapped and thus the original CD project got canned and some of the ideas that were dropped were later implemented into what became "Chrono Trigger" in 1995

What was referred to as "Chrono Trigger" was originally officially registered as Maru Island, which was going to be an entry into the Seiken Densetsu series and paved the way for the development of Seiken Densetsu 2. Before that however, Seiken Densetsu 1 & Chrono Trigger were more or less the same project, which was derived from ideas that never made it into Final Fantasy IV. Later on, elements that remained unused in Seiken Densetsu 2 and Final Fantasies VI & VII made their way into Chrono Trigger which was at that point no longer billed as an entry into Seiken Densetsu's franchise. My joke was simply referencing this complicated development cycle where the game is clearly the product of both SD & FF and how the final product actually plays like something inbetween the two.

Seriously, broseph, you're fucking retarded and you should feel fucking ashamed of yourself.
>>
>>336536159
>Horii is very open to doing other projects.
Horii says things like "whatever new ideas I have I can just make them into a Dragon Quest title"
>>
>>336537234

Where?

But also, since no one is offering any new suggestions, he might as well just keep making Dragon Quest games. Chrono Trigger came about because Sakaguchi suggested it to him. Square would need to seek him out for a future Chrono title as well.
>>
>>336537683
It was in an interview
Too lazy to dig it out

>Square would need to seek him out for a future Chrono title as well
they would also need to seek all the other guys who aren't working there anymore
>>
>>336538539

Let's face facts. Not everyone at Monolithsoft is necessary. They could still make a new Chrono game even with just Yuji Horii and Masato Kato overseeing a new group of programmers and designers. Yuji Horii is possibly the best guy in the entire gaming industry at taking unknown or bad teams and making them churn out amazing games. Just look at how he got Level 5 to make one of the best games ever. But every game Yuji Horii didn't work on has been shit.

But ideally, Square could drop their stubborn pride and bring back the Monolithsoft crew to work on a new Chrono game. Could even make a deal with Nintendo for development costs.
>>
There's no reason that they couldn't make a new Chrono game. DB super is going on so Toriyama's name recognition is at an all time high (they don't even really need him since Cross didn't have his designs). Retro reboots/tributes are all the rage.Turn based RPGs are doing fine (Bravely Second), Trigger is a near-universally loved game.
>>
>>336538957
>Masato Kato
Fuck no
This nigger should stay away

They still have Tokita and Ito though...so instead of relegating them to mobile trash it'd be nice if they could design something worth shit for once
>>
File: facepalm_Pikachu.png (32 KB, 178x200) Image search: [Google]
facepalm_Pikachu.png
32 KB, 178x200
>>336539968

>the main story writer and co designer of the series should stay away
>wah why isn't Chrono 3 like the past games!
>>
>>336515143
Is there a 3DS Chrono trigger remake?
>>
>>336515356
CT is already real time with seamless overworld battle, all it needed was manual movement in battle and it would have been FF12s battle system
>>
File: flea edit.png (15 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
flea edit.png
15 KB, 500x500
one of main reasons I couldn't get into CC was because the art wasn't made by Toriyama.
>>
>>336519116
Nonura designed their in game sprite designs in the original that Toriyama created the actual designs based on after
>>
File: 1451685793605.jpg (616 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1451685793605.jpg
616 KB, 1920x1200
>>336542167

But the artists for Chrono Cross is good in his own right. He's done everything from Escaflowne to Solatorobo.

>people bitch about Toriyama drawing sameface
>the artist for Chrono Cross completely changes his style for each new project
>people hate Chrono Cross and love Chrono Trigger
>>
>>336542358
don't care about those series
>>
File: 1352191295545.gif (4 KB, 411x315) Image search: [Google]
1352191295545.gif
4 KB, 411x315
>>336519116
>christmas cake ayla
>>
>>336519116
This is your protagonist.
>>
>>336538957

Yeah, asking Square to do anything with Nintendo. The old guard who are still butthurt over the 90s would need to die off I think.
>>
>>336542058

Did FF12 have combination movesets like Chrono Trigger did?
>>
>>336544204

No. That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Chrono Trigger had set locations that triggered battles like a game such as KOTOR. Not 'seamless battle transitions'. Dragon Quest XI is possibly the first game which is going to do this.
>>
>>336544509
Nigger FF12 and 15 both have seamless battle transition from the overworld, it didn't matter if enemies happen in certain locations of the map because 12 and 15 have that too
Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.