[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Yooka Laylee "update"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
File: yooka laylee.jpg (114 KB, 952x536) Image search: [Google]
yooka laylee.jpg
114 KB, 952x536
They just released a new update that didn't say much other than they appeared on a podcast.

I'm bored so here are some notes

>a year has passed since the original kickstarter
>big news coming soon, that will make fans happy
>playtonic will have an e3 presence
>mine kart levels are currently up and running
>Gavin loves mine kart levels and has ideas to make them unique
>toy box was originally going to be a web browser experience, but technical problems made things complicated. Shouldn't be too long before its release. No ETA
>the villain of the game is male
>the character name of Kartos, was partly inspired a gaming magazine typo that misspelled Kratos' name
>there will be a tonic system that brings light RPG elements, such as choosing the order you learn moves
>NX will not affect the wii u release at all

The real news is, how the fuck does a Donkey Kong focused podcast have 416 episodes?
>>
>>336385294
>>there will be a tonic system that brings light RPG elements, such as choosing the order you learn moves

oh dear...
>>
Cool.
>>
>>336385294
>light RPG elements

Who /worry/ here?
>>
>>336386416
me, like holy hell.
>>
>>336385294
Just tell me that most of the soundtrack is underscored by a ukulele, ie how banjo's soundtrack was, and I'll be happy.
>>
>>336385294
>such as choosing the order you learn moves
I mean it sounds good on paper, but that sounds like the worlds won't require you to learn a move to access parts of it, in order to progress.
>>
>RPG elements
The most cancerous genre to have infected other poor genres
>>
>>336388206
JRPGs are good, WRPGs are not.
That being said every game trying to incorporate RPG mechanics is retarded.
>>
>>336385294

How about some screenshots?
>>
>>336386980
It is
>>
So is this game just a "HEY REMEMBER WHEN WE WERE GOOD?" Or is it gonna have an actual identity?
>>
>>336385294
I was going down the list, thought it all looked cool, nothing too new, happy about minecarts though. Those are the shit in any game.

And then there's light RPG elements.
Why. That means you're going to have design levels around not having powerups. That's a really stupid thing to do. Just think of the shit that is the upgrade system in mirror's edge 2.
>>
>RPG elements in a 3d platformer. Well I'm glad I didn't preorder
>>
That's the sort of dumb shit you would expect neo-nintendo to pull.
>>
File: 1438763903131.jpg (9 KB, 228x227) Image search: [Google]
1438763903131.jpg
9 KB, 228x227
>>336385294
>light RPG elements
Dont worry me like this
>>
>>336387137
Maybe you just choose to access different parts at different times. Still sounds dumb though. Reminds me of Ori's completely unnecessary XP.
>>
>>336385294
>Get a notification in the middle of the night of a Playtonic Email
>Rush out of bed eager to check
>"Hey guys there's going to be an update soon!"

Why post an update saying that there's going to be an update?! Just give us the update!
>>
>light rpg elements

The fuck does that mean?
>>
>>336392296
It means it's gonna be shit.
>>
>>336386210
Yeah I didn't like the sound of that.

I'd be fine with it if you used tonics and could choose to increase Eggs/health/feather limit (Examples from Banjo-Kazooie but you get the point).
>>
>>336385294
Maybe they're planning on adding metroidvania style upgrades
Or just increase attack damage, flight time or something similar
>>
>>336392296
>light RPG elements
Honestly, RPG elements, based on how they described them, aren't really RPG elements. I'd imagine it's closer to Diablo skill trees where you get to choose which spells/abilities you get first based on your preferences.

Why they tied those to RPG mechanics I'm not entirely certain. I'd imagine they're just trying to Banjo-Kazooie it, 'cause there was some deviation to the order of moves you could learn depending on how you tackled each stage.
>>
>>336393218
Maybe? I don't see the problem seeing as we don't really know what these RPG elements are.
>>
>>336389237
Fuck you
All these "different" aproches to older games are making me sick
I could use a 1:1 Banjo clone
>>
What is a toy box and why does seemingly every kickstarter game have one?
>>
>>336393603
>diablo skills trees
Not even close.
>>
>>336393930
It's like a demo, but not called a demo.

I'm not sure why but maybe someone does.
>>
>>336393687
Pretty much. Why worry until they give more details.
>>
>>336393930

It's a demo that takes place outside of the main game

Most demo's usually take place somewhere in the finished game, where the toybox is its own self-contained thing to play around with the mechanics of the game
>>
>>336393961
That's the best I could think of. What fucking game is prevalent where you could choose what order you unlocked things in?

Sounds like skill trees to me.
>>
>>336385294
>NX will not affect the wii u release at all
God be blessed. My Wii U is ready.
>>
>>336385294
>>the villain of the game is male
Why? Why can't there be a female villain like Grunty again? Are SJW's really this much of an issue?
>>
>>336394662
>Are SJW's really this much of an issue?
Please shut the fuck up. Stop seeing SJW everywhere. A villain can be male just like there have been hundreds of male villains since the '80s. Cut it off.
>>
>>336393819
So what, you don't even want it to feel like a logical progression of the series, just exactly the same thing you played when you were a kid because nostalgia?
>>
>Playtonic will have e3 presence
>big news that will make fans happy

It's Playtonic x Rare's Banjo Threeie and you know it
>>
>tonic system
>choosing the order you learn moves
This means one of 2 possibilities.
1. There are multiple methods to do any specific level, but some special stuff/secrets will require the full moveset, meaning backtracking near the end of the game.
2. There is only one method to do some major stuff and you'll have to backtrack CONSTANTLY just to meet collection requirements for the next steps after getting a new skill.
I don't like it either way, but whatever.
>>
>>336385294
Doneky kong podcast?

Can someone give link?
>>
>>336386416
>>336386754
what's wrong with it exactly?
>>
>>336396617
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/kongversation-donkey-kong/id596913467?mt=2
>>
>>336392140
Updates on when an update is going to happen gives you far more views for your actual update. People talk.

Also:
>tfw Playtonic is going to have the same volume of content at E3 as Nintendo.

Gaming is fucking dead.
>>
>>336397134
>Nintendo
Nintendo is dead, they've fucked up so many times along the way, they more than likely won't recover in a few years.
Gaming is on a shaky slope, but not dead.
>>
>>336396756
"RPG elements" being added to a game usually mean unnecessary choice and customization simply for the sake of attracting idiots who flock to "RPGs".

Usually the "builds" (if they can be called that) are meaningless and the choice usually serves only to hurt the games design. For example, does this mean most abilities will not be used in actually progressing levels? How? If I didn't learn the right one doesn't that mean I could get stuck? If not then what's the point? Didn't you already do this in BK by picking which order to play the levels in?

It raises a bunch of issues while adding nothing to the game and as I said is usually a sign of a game trying to rope in an audience other than their core audience. Your core audience will never like the sound of changing what they like to appeal to outsiders.
>>
>>336396756
It creates unnecessary design-obstacles. Like that they have to make the upgrades become much more optional, because everything has to be reached, and thus the impact of the upgrades become much less prominent, meaning they aren't really upgrades at all.
>>
>The real news is, how the fuck does a Donkey Kong focused podcast have 416 episodes?

No, the real question is why can't Jeremy upload content as regularly as Chad.
>>
>>336398859
Four years and still no episode 207
>>
>>336396756
I don't think there's much point in worrying over it right now given that we have no idea how it works. Upgrades and such aren't inherently bad, I think people are just scared because of poor implementation of such a thing in other games.
>>
>>336385294
>light RPG elements
ughhhhh
>>
Light RPG elements aren't that bad when it comes to action adventure platformers.

See the metroidvania games, I don't expect them to add in full STR DEX COn style stats, just items and consumables.
>>
>>336385294
>Kartos
walking talking car for sure
>>
File: image.png (88 KB, 283x209) Image search: [Google]
image.png
88 KB, 283x209
>>336402808
We've seen Kartos.
Here's his theme. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ExTESGxBMKg
>>
>>336385294
>The real news is, how the fuck does a Donkey Kong focused podcast have 416 episodes?
I'm sure they expand into other topics.
>>
File: file.png (184 KB, 366x488) Image search: [Google]
file.png
184 KB, 366x488
>>336386416
>>336386754
>>336397319
>>336397326
>>336386210
>>336393156
>>336387137

Can someone explain to me how unlocking moves is significantly different from something like, say, Super Metroid?

You don't start with things like powerball, you find and unlock them. The system worked perfectly fine there.

In that regard, actually, it's safe to say nearly all platformers (especially classic platformers) make use of a similar system—either through an item that grants you an ability while equipped or a more permanent unlocking of an ability.
>>
>>336403879
Man, all of Wise's tracks sound pretty much just like the stuff he made in Tropical Freeze, which I might mind if it weren't for the fact that Tropical Freeze had an absolutely outstanding soundtrack.
>>
>>336404119

You still collected moves in a set order.

People are scared because being able to sequence break means that the levels need to assume that you DON'T have a certain power up (i.e. no water because you might not have the swim ability, as a random example)

It means levels will be bland as shit, and abilities will seem useless
>>
So have they said that they've learned from DK64 and Tooie? Cause I really don't want another backtrack fest
>>
>>336405124
ah that makes it a little clearer

then again, you could sequence break in metroid, despite it being unintended for the most part, and that's just become something else people love about it
>>
>>336405225
They joked about the myriad collectibles in DK64 on the original Kickstarter page and said they would be keeping watch to make sure it didn't happen again.
>>
>>336405518

Thank fuck
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.