[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Splatoon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 18
File: SI_WiiU_Splatoon.jpg (443 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
SI_WiiU_Splatoon.jpg
443 KB, 1000x500
Just got it for some change of pace after BB and DS3.

Is it worth it to try to get into the Motion controls? I'm at the very beginning, and at this point they feel like cancer.

But otherwise the game is fun, it's giving me a nostalgic Conkers Bad Fur Day Multiplayer vibe (way back when that game was still fresh).
>>
You NEED to learn the motion controls. It's pretty much the equivalent of using a mouse vs using a controller for a PC shooter.
>>
>>336365160
>get into the motion controls

You make it sound like there's effort involved in using a control scheme that babies can master in minutes.
>>
>>336365548
This. Play an hour or two with the motion controls and you won't even notice them anymore.
>>
>>336365160

If you want to hit things, you'd better damn well be using the motion controls
>>
congratz op, your a kid now.
>>
>>336365160
you can start out not using the motion controls. only the highest end gameplay uses the motion controls because it works amazingly well and all top rank players use it
>>
APPARENTLY it is possible to be top tier with the stick, but motion controls are awesome. I find myself trying to use them in other games now, I'll start tilting my xbox 360 controller when I want to look up.
>>
>>336366092
>APPARENTLY it is possible to be top tier with the stick

Maybe if you play Carbon Roller or some shit

> I find myself trying to use them in other games now, I'll start tilting my xbox 360 controller when I want to look up.

>Play Splatoon for a while
>Play through Gravity Rush
>Try to play Gun Valkyrie, constantly tilting the Xbox controller like it's going to do something
>>
That being said, go ahead and play the single player campaign first. It's short, and way too easy, but still worth a playthrough, and basically a tutorial for the multiplayer.

If you want to play inkbrush or roller motion controls aren't really necessary either, but still probably recommended
>>
Unlike Star Fox Zero, splatoon's motion controls are actually fantastic and I wish I could use motion controls in other shooters.
>>
>>336366229

Apparently the first person to reach S+ was a stick user. At least that's what I heard from some youtube channel like squids next door or squidkids or something.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure gyro raises the skill ceiling
>>
>>336365160
>Is it worth it to try to get into the Motion controls?
Yes, it's a lot more precise than just using the analog stick
>>
File: _0.jpg (825 KB, 1000x1258) Image search: [Google]
_0.jpg
825 KB, 1000x1258
>>336365160
Motion controls just aren't for everybody. If you feel they are cancer don't force yourself to use them. Movement, dive jumping and traveling as a squid are all more important and effective skills to master.
>>
You only need motion controls for sniping. Using stick for snipers is pathetic

Everything else is fine and skillful dodging and map knowledge will have you easily win fights. I use the dual Squelcher the most and I can easily kill 2 or 3 people in quick succession with stick or motion. Currently rank A-

People really like meme weapons and rolling endlessly for perfect abilities but it's really not necessary if you are good at the game
>>
>>336365160
I play fine without the motion controls, but I don't rely entirely on hitting people directly either. I'd imagine it's mandatory with chargers.
>>
>>336366796

S rank gat here

Don't listen to this shitter, if you do well with sticks that's great but you'll do better with gyro
>>
>Guns
Motion Control
>Rollers
Gamepad
>>
>>336366930
Gyrofags are ASSHURT 24/7. It's hilarious.
>>
>>336367080

Enjoy your A-

My twelve year old brother is A-
>>
>>336366930
It really doesn't matter, it's hilarious you say such a thing when you use a gat, the weapon type you don't even have to aim

Please do tell how many matches it took you to get to S because I've played the absolute bare minimum to get to A-, see you in S rank soon faggot ;)

>>336367150
You say that like kids are suddenly magically shittier at videogames. By 12 year old 'brother' did you actually mean yourself ;)
>>
File: Splatoon-Fan-Art-Nintendo.png (880 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
Splatoon-Fan-Art-Nintendo.png
880 KB, 600x849
I've been blowing this game off cause of DS3 and Nioh.
This is maybe the only good thing Nintendo has made in years.

Good luck OP, motion controls greatly outclass sticks, you just gotta get used to it.
>>
>>336365160

I use gyro with max sensitivity for all midrange weapons, but I lower it for longer ranged ones like Chargers and the Hydra Splatling. Also I feel like gyro is pretty much necessary for Chargers, the stick doesn't move precisely enough for me to snipe.
>>
>>336365160
Gyro controls are closer to mouse control. So if you're more accustomed to using a mouse to aim, gyro should make things the easiest to transition.

Otherwise, if you're used to using a stick to aim, use the stick instead.
>>
How are people using Gyro controls? gyro+sticks?
>>
>>336367243
>gat, the weapon type you don't even have to aim

This is why you'll always be bad
>>
>>336369165
I usually use gyro to actually aim, and the stick to turn quickly when not trying to shoot

You can use both at once kinda but good luck
>>
>>336365160
I'd say give motion a shot, it's not as bad as it seems, and you can still use the stick to turn left and right with the motion controls too
>>
OP here. Okay, so I'll be going for Motion controls.

I guess my first impression was skewed by a bitter Starfox Zero longplay I saw last night (some enthusiastic Fanboy sinking into deep Frustration by the end of the game).

Now maybe just for a starting pointer. Do you mainly use gyro just for the y-axis, or for everything? Will you use the stick at all in a firefight? And do you reset your cam often?

I'll practice with the solo-Campaign for now.
>>
>>336371698

I use it for everything when it comes to actual aiming, but unless I need to spin around quick I use the right stick for actually navigating my character. Think of it kind of like Gun Valkyrie if you've ever played it, where you just used the right stick to aim, but it wouldn't turn your character; use the gyro like that.

I reset the cam pretty often, it's really subconscious at this point though. I tend to just hit the button when I return to neutral I think.

Doing the single player first is a good idea. The final boss requires you to be able to move and shoot well at the same time so it gives you a good base to jump into the multiplayer when you can beat it.
>>
>>336371698
Honestly just go into turf war, the single player campaign is okay but online play is the real deal, since you're low level you'll be matched with other babies

Use gyro when you're trying to actually hit someone, use stick to turn quickly or when you're just running around coating turf
>>
you can't compete without gyro controls.

Literally limiting yourself because you have a kneejerk reaction to the term "motion control."
>>
>>336372132
What this guy said. There's no punishment for going into turf war and it will get you levels. Then you can buy clothes.
Just remember, the goal is to put paint on the ground. The goal isn't to splat the enemy, that's just a bonus.
>>
>>336371698
Right stick to move the camera, gyro to fine-tune your aim.
>>
File: 1459189873038.jpg (35 KB, 473x700) Image search: [Google]
1459189873038.jpg
35 KB, 473x700
>>336371698
Starfox zero =/= Splatoon

On top of the motion controls star fox zero has a second screen you are FORCED to look at to aim properly since the TV's reticle isn't accurate.

In Splatoon you don't have to worry about a second screen and divide your attention.
>>
>>336372378
>Just remember, the goal is to put paint on the ground. The goal isn't to splat the enemy, that's just a bonus.

This. Also remember this while in ranked.
>>
File: 1460518979026.png (4 MB, 2508x2508) Image search: [Google]
1460518979026.png
4 MB, 2508x2508
>>336372704
>>336372378
Fuck these squids, OP. Remember that if you splat them they won't be able to splat you.
>>
>>336371698
>a bitter Starfox Zero longplay I saw last night
Never trust someone else playing with motion controls. The best way to judge is to play them by yourself. Once you get the grip of it, SFZ controls are like playing a real airwing.
>>
>>336372608
The second screen is still important, but you don't need to constantly look back and forth. You still need to check it to see implied enemy location and what areas your own team is ignoring.
>>
>>336372608

Goddamn I really want to like SF:Z

And it's fun in co-op

But who the fuck thought the alternate first stage boss would ever be a fun thing?
>>
>>336371698
Splatoon is the prime example of how to do motion controls right. Star Fox is the exact opposite.
Definitely play the solo campaign, it's pretty short but very good at getting you through the controls and game mechanics. It also has one of the best final bosses of any Nintendo game ever. Have fun bro.
>>
File: fucking BRILLIANT.jpg (23 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
fucking BRILLIANT.jpg
23 KB, 1024x576
>>336373238
Personally my biggest gripes are the lack of full-fledged levels in the branching paths, less cool straight-to-the-point levels like in 64, and the fucking gyrowing.
>>
>>336374226

I agree with you there. It's frustrating because the stuff they did well they did really well

But these motion controls are shit motion controls. Sometimes they just don't respond and my reticule stays locked in place for no good fucking reason
>>
i fucking hate the gamepad. I had how i can only fit certain parts of it up my ass opposed to the wii-mote
>>
File: Let's Take a Look Down there.png (285 KB, 410x518) Image search: [Google]
Let's Take a Look Down there.png
285 KB, 410x518
>>336374807
I've noticed that rather than giving you full control over your aim they nudge your reticle towards your target. I noticed this especially in star wolf fights. Which are the best part of the game, don't get me wrong.

I was really hoping the delay was to add more content but it looks like it was mainly to tighten up the game's performance. Which is my personal reason as to why I hate the dual screen gimmick. not because they're hard to get used to but because they held the game back.
>>
>>336374226
>Nintendo actually advising people do this for splatoon local vs

God I hope the NX requires motion support in whatever its pads are
>>
>>336373238
>play SF64
>all the characters have cool dialogue that makes them each fill a different archtype

>play SFZ
>they just say the exact same shit from the 64, across multiple levels

Makes them feel like robotic husks of former friends.
Apart from that I found the game played just fine; some levels were insanely short and the chickenwalker fucking sucks ass but on the whole it's a fine Star Fox game if you don't mind the characters just being bland puppets.

The final boss annoyed the shit out of me though.
>>
>>336375846
>Scared to do the final level in arcade mode in case I die and have to do Zoness again
>>
>>336375846

Chickenwalker is actually my favorite vehicle; I don't really get what the beef with it is other than that I feel it's underutilized.
>>
>>336376179
Rotating it feels awkward; the level where you have to break into that ship to disable the shields gave me a very hard time.
I didn't die but I struggled the whole way through.
>>
>>336376269

Huh, I had no problem with it at all.

Gyrowing can suck a bag of dicks though
>>
Since there's some Star Fox Zero discussion going on, I may as well ask here. Is there any controller input for aiming at all? Part of why Splatoon works so well is because you're effectively using both stick and gyro and that gives a very tight degree of control. But Star Fox looks like it's completely gyro aiming with no stick input at all which gives me bad Skyward Sword flashbacks of constantly having to reset the position.
>>
C R O W S

A N D

D I C K S
>>
File: 1451840746804.jpg (381 KB, 800x628) Image search: [Google]
1451840746804.jpg
381 KB, 800x628
>>336377389
yeah, you do have to re-calibrate a few times. Since the right stick is used mainly for barrel rolls, u-turns, brakes, boost, etc...

You will also accidentally perform a somersault or u-turn sometimes because of this control scheme as well. It's just a very flawed game all around.
>>
>>336378196
Damn. That game looks fucking amazing and what any 64 fan could really want out of the series, but the control scheme is the one thing preventing me from wanting to buy it. Especially when my family is obsessed with hanging TVs from awkwardly high spots on the wall, making looking between that and the gamepad constantly a complete neck sore. I couldn't even play Splatoon as much because of it, and I prefer to play just on the gamepad anyways.
>>
File: 1448650551460.png (482 KB, 2280x1600) Image search: [Google]
1448650551460.png
482 KB, 2280x1600
>>336378684
not really. zero is nowhere near as replayable as 64. Especially heartbreaking for me since I've rplayed 64 so many times with ease.

off-tv play is technically possible since you can switch the gamepad's view and the tv's view by hitting the minus button. but it's kind of out of the way, y'know?
>>
>>336372704
Different anon

Don't listen about ranked. Kills matter a lot in ranked. In turf it's about locking down but ranked only has one mode dedicated to that. Rainmaker and towers make splatter nearly mandatory or you'll be splatter endlessly yourself. Not to mention dead players can't fight over it, which makes quick respawn very important in ranked while not very much in turf.
>>
>>336365160
If you're not already used to stick controls, gyro is closest thing consoles are gonna get to keyboard + mouse.
>>
>>336379483

Don't be a retard, I didn't say never splat. But you have a fucking objective. If you have the rainmaker you shouldn't be going for kills, you should be moving that bitch forward. If you're supporting the rainmaker, don't chase that fag around the corner, clear a path for the rainmaker.
>>
OP here, first solo Boss down. About Motion controls.

I was blind but now I see.

The problem was I didn't have a proper grip on how resetting the cam works in relation to character Position, but I get it now.

Struggling with quickly readjusting camera in chaotic Situations, but getting there.

Shop-testrunned the sniper-rifle. Fuuuuck yes Motion Control is so good for this. This experience shapes up nicely.
>>
File: 1460391448359.png (398 KB, 670x600) Image search: [Google]
1460391448359.png
398 KB, 670x600
>>336380981
Good on ya', OP. Hope to see you in S-rank matches sometime soon.
>>
>>336380981
Great to hear you're enjoying yourself OP. Practice makes perfect.
Continue with the single player though, that final boss is quite something.
>>
>>336369403
>spray of bullets
>just have to aim where someone will be
super hardxcore weaponz
>>
File: 1448697562691.jpg (110 KB, 752x752) Image search: [Google]
1448697562691.jpg
110 KB, 752x752
>>336380981
Keep it up anon.
>>
>tfw finally get to S rank
I'm finally free of these A- shitters

OP, if you aren't trying out new weapons, I'd get on that. Splattershot Jr. is pretty great, but it's always good to try and find your weaponfu.
>>
>>336371698
Stick for movement and quick turns.
Gyro for aiming.
>>
>>336382986

Also why you'll always be bad
>>
>>336384491
Just ranked to A, bitch

Used stick just to piss faggots like you off

No games lost, carried everything so hard
>>
>>336380981
it might be obvious but it's best to rest your arms on your knees when playing so you always have something stable.
>>
>>336384967

Ooh boy you're top of the shitters now. How's it feel being the biggest kindergarten kid?
>>
>>336385249
>le moving the goal posts face
Gonna be real fucking smug up in S this evening

But of course only S+ will be non shitters then right? What a joke with a joke main
>>
File: charger.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
charger.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>336365160
use gyro senpai
>>
>>336385719

Man I said S in the first place. I didn't set the goalposts low for you, you did that yourself.

Have fun struggling to get into S
>>
File: sm27030808.webm (2 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
sm27030808.webm
2 MB, 854x480
psst...nothing personel, kid
>>
>>336385937
>i play a shit gun where you can't dodge whenever you want
>S rank is a s-struggle anon
>i'm gud i swear
>;_;
shush baby, shush
>>
>>336386395

Yeah call me when you get S
>>
I got to A+ (before the S patch) before I stopped playing and I did not use motion controls so please don't listen to these tards who claim they are a must. They definitely help out alot and make things easier but they aren't mandatory to get good

It's a fun game but I just grew tired of it. The constant jumping Japs didn't help out much
>>
>>336386707
Woah watch out, this kid is gonna tell you that you're shit at the game

God forbid anyone be under his arbitrary goalposts regardless of time played
>>
I almost never have trouble with laggy nips, so I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about.

Are there any decent splatoon communities? I want to discuss the game, but /v/ threads are rare, and /ink/ is shit.
>>
>>336386773
Nigga what? You do realize more than one person is in this thread I just quick replied after OP I have nothing to do with you autistic squabble above
>>
>>336365160
>Not playing with motion controls

Enjoy C hell, faggot
>>
>>336372608
>In Splatoon you don't have to worry about a second screen and divide your attention.

Don't listen to this faggot, map awareness is really strong, since you can see enemies that have been inked, and where they are inking in real time.
Don´t be trash, look at your map.
>>
File: WiiUpad.png (29 KB, 795x665) Image search: [Google]
WiiUpad.png
29 KB, 795x665
>>336365160
Just in case it might be helpful.
>>
>>336388424
And this is why I dislike motion controls entirely. This isn't a Splatoon complaint it's a Nintendo Gyro controls complaint. That's not comfortable at all and I cannot get into the game with some brick sitting in my lap, I want to hold my controller like a fucking controller.

I really hope Nintendo abandons this gyro bullshit for the NX. You got faggots posting ON THIS BOARD whose first console was a Wii who ACTUALLY DEFEND THIS BULLSHIT
>>
>>336388995
Nigga I was playing Doom on DOS when you were but a tickle in your dad's balls

Splatoons controls are probably the best console shooter controls I've ever used

The only problem is how big the pad is. If next gen they cut the weight and get the screen (which is under used anyway) it'll be perfect
>>
>>336388995
Except gyro is the closest thing to KB+M on console and it works fucking great. Even the steam controller uses then and they're great.
>>
>>336388995
>That's not comfortable at all and I cannot get into the game with some brick sitting in my lap
It's very comfortable.

>I want to hold my controller like a fucking controller.
You actually can.

>I really hope Nintendo abandons this gyro bullshit
I hope they do not, they finally nailed the motion controll with it and it's almost as precise as mouse control.

It's a shame the Wii u didn't get more FPS making use of it, because they would have been great to control.

>ON THIS BOARD whose first console was a Wii who ACTUALLY DEFEND THIS BULLSHIT
I have been playing game since the NES and even before some DOS games.

People defned Gyro because it's actually a great improvement on control.

I don't know how you are doing, but Gro control is the most natural way to control your aiming.
>>
File: 1462167762156.jpg (918 KB, 700x980) Image search: [Google]
1462167762156.jpg
918 KB, 700x980
>>336365160
What's with Splatoon and Bloodborne sharing a playerbase?
>>
>>336389580
>The only problem is how big the pad is.
I actually consider it an advantage as it prevent to put too much stress on you wrists, as the motion is more done by the forearms themselves, leading to more hours of gameplay without straining your wrists.
>>
>>336389902
They're both games and they both are fun?

I wasn't aware there was a big crossover.
>>
File: 1435422565714.jpg (165 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1435422565714.jpg
165 KB, 480x480
>>336390273
It's weird.
>>
>>336390273
How fun is Bloodborn, actually? (not trolling, genuinely wondering).
>>
File: 1437533408370.png (413 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1437533408370.png
413 KB, 480x480
>>336390447
It's pretty good. Can't speak for the DLC tho, haven't played it.
>>
>>336390447
If you liked any of the Souls games you'll like it (unless you only want to play sword 'n board style and liked blocking)
>>
>>336390447
From the little I've played(Gascoigne, Cleric Beast, and that one werewolf thing on the bridge( it's pretty much a way better Demon's Souls and the architecture is orgasmic.
>>
So what will Spla2n do?
>>
>>336390447

Fun as fuck.

Play it in the dark with headphones on and it becomes a horror game in places. A+. It's a different style of fun than Splatoon though
>>
>>336391005

Hard to say, if I recall correctly Nintendo has specifically mentioned using the characters and world in a different type of game
>>
>>336391005
Hopefully an actually in-depth couch co-op mode and the ability to choose which map you want to play on at any time.
>>
>>336391005
Bot matches.
>>
File: 1446061004758.jpg (86 KB, 1022x628) Image search: [Google]
1446061004758.jpg
86 KB, 1022x628
>>336391005
Region lock
Fuck the Japanese.
>>
>>336389902
Splatoon is the sequel of Bloodborne
>>
>>336390447
It's fucking fantastic, best souls game (though I have a gigantic Lovecraft boner so I'm pretty biased).
>>
>>336391141
God I hope you're wrong...Nintendo gets criticized for releasing samey Zeldas and Marios for decades... Then when they get a brilliant new IP can't do a proper sequel?
>>
>>336365160

You will never be good without motion controls.
>>
>People recommending Bloodborne in a Nintendo thread
Well, if only this could be used as an example to prove Nintendo users don't shitpost against sony.
>>
>>336374226
Jesus I completely forgot this was a control scheme.
>>
>>336389902
Because Bloodborne is the prequel to Splatoon
>>336391784
>>
>>336393814

I'm just idort m8. Unlike so much of /v/, I like video games
>>
>>336365160
My lan adapter died. D:
>>
>>336365160
Play one player and keep it on. Absolutely worth mastering. You get so much precision out of it.

The trick is to not use it exclusively. You use the control stick to aim, then motion to fine tune.
>>
>>336389852
>It's a shame the Wii u didn't get more FPS making use of it, because they would have been great to control.
Shit man, you know what game could've used gyro controls? Fucking Lost Reavers.
>>
>>336394339

Lost Reavers needs a lot more than better aiming
>>
>>336395020
Well, it's freemium shit so that's obvious, but it could've really used that stuff, in my opinion.
>>
>>336365160
>Using the sticks in Splatoon instead of the actually good motion control
You won't ever win anything, but go for it, scrub.
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.