[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Reward high skill players with stuff that makes the game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: 81fSo064pdL._SL1500_[1].jpg (273 KB, 1500x1355) Image search: [Google]
81fSo064pdL._SL1500_[1].jpg
273 KB, 1500x1355
>Reward high skill players with stuff that makes the game even easier
>Prevent low skill players from getting those rewards, making the game even harder for those players

Who thought this was good game design? It removes the challenge from people who probably want it and adds challenge for people who are already having a tough time.
>>
I think the punishment for using cyber-elves was pretty poorly conceptualized, myself. As you said, in order to get more moves, you need to not use the elves, which means basically staying at base (low) power for most of the game. Very stupid.
>>
>>336361470
Oh and don't lemme forget
>Here's a bunch of items to use
>But don't you dare use them or we'll penalize your score
>>
>>336361690
The fourth game completely overfixed that problem too.
>Oh, I'm allowed to max out my cyber elf, but it reduces my rank.
>What's that? Bosses don't require a high rank to get powers anymore?
>CRANK THAT SHIT TO MAX
>>
>>336361470

Actually happens in a lot of games for some reason. It's pretty retarded for sure
>>
>>336361719

Well to be fair that's because elves are a crutch for newbies.

The whole "you can only get a skill if you get an A rank" it's still pretty dumb though
>>
Sounds like you need to git gud. I sucked initially at these games but never used elves and eventually beat all 4 without ever using cyberelves.
>>
>>336361470
Low skill players can get cyber elves and use them at the cost of their grade. Hell they can just use those elves thag make you an A class to get the skills before lowering their grade again from sucking.
>>
>>336362695
my nogga
>>
>>336362695
That's not the point, the point is that the whole cyber-elf system is entirely pointless. The good players won't use them because they don't want to make the game easier and the bad players won't use them because they never have a chance to.
>>
>>336363018
>bad players won't use them because they never have a chance to.
Unless they also suck at finding them then they'll have plenty of chances to use them, and it won't matter because if they suck already they aren't losing much for an even lower grade. Also they can use grade raising elves like >>336362750 said, if I remembered things correctly there were about 4 of them.
>>
>>336362750
The game still actively discourages you from using them since it penalizes you. Even low-skill players probably wouldn't use them. It's basically saying, "Here's some stuff, but you're a total scrub if you ever use any of them."
>>
>>336364783
People actually used the elves?? kek.

As far as i know those were inteded to be only colected and never used, but well kids nowdays want easy-instagratification game play
>>
>>336365169
you must be fun at parties
>>
>>336365491
No.
>>
>>336364783
Then it's the fault of scrubs that don't recognize their scrubbiness but at the same time refuse to improve, what's wrong here? The game or the player?
>>
>>336361470
Fuck off shitter. It's nice to actually get rewarded for gitting gud. It makes perfect sense not to give shitters who haven't mastered the basic skillset more tools they won't know how to use either while rewarding good players by giving them new options that raise the skill cap. Shitters already have cyber elves as their crutch.
>>
>Unlock everything apart from the ultimate form
>unlock conditions: use every fucking elf
>have to essentially gimp my score permanently to get 100% completion
I felt conflicted about this part, I had never used an elf prior to this and suddenly had to throw away my S class because of my autism.
>>
File: 1452291629988.gif (498 KB, 194x269) Image search: [Google]
1452291629988.gif
498 KB, 194x269
Reminds me of the general problem with Contra and other NES games.

>Get the spread gun
>Keep it and the game is easier
>Lose it and the game is harder
>Whole game skill is just about how long you can keep and abuse a powerup.
>>
>>336361894

>Allowing your rank to fall below A

Holy shit get good
>>
Nothing of considerable value was lost if you used elves. If you really need that score, than don't use them, the score is for people who want to perfect the game. Now the thing that messed with me was getting the EX skills because I think you need an A on the last map you'd played on? Now that was a pain in the ass. I can't remember if it was 1 or 2 or 3 because it's all a blur at this point but that retrying a map over and over to see what sweet crap I could grab pissed me off but man did it prep me for the final stages.
>>
git gud
>>
>>336366929
The 2nd game had a level with a phoenix boss that if you beat the generators in a bad order you could end up with barely any safe spots to dodge his rising lava attack
>>
>>336361470
I've been saying this for years. I thought I was the only one.
>>
File: Ww.jpg (29 KB, 280x396) Image search: [Google]
Ww.jpg
29 KB, 280x396
>>336361470
its score system was all weird. Going slowly through the stage and killing every enemy yields higher rank than finishing it quickly which takes more skill.

A system like in pic related where you need to be fast and precise would be better.
>>
EX skills being tied to rank was always bull. Yeah it forced you to get good but still.

At least the fourth game tied it to the weather.
>>
>>336366286
Contra's problem lies in how unbalanced the spread shot is. There is nothing wrong with a game becoming more difficult if you die and lose your power ups and easier if you're fully powered up. It only becomes a problem when the recoveries are so difficult that you might as well just restart the game and try to do a no death run.
>>
>>336367674
In most stages you can get a good score by killing everything in itonc but since it caps at 20 points you also have to focus on not getting hit, going fast and completing side objectives
>>
>>336361470
>that artist illustrations are cute, im going to find more works of him...the dude have a fucking scat fetish and all his dojins are scat themed
>>
I couldn't stand playing Zero 1 because of how zoomed in the "camera" was compared to MMX
>>
>>336361719
Platinum Games in a nutshell
>>
File: 1453619533745.jpg (522 KB, 1664x2570) Image search: [Google]
1453619533745.jpg
522 KB, 1664x2570
>>336368640
this guy?
>>
>>336369812
yep
>>
>>336368854
Yeah the zero series relies heavily on memorizing enemy placement.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.