[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Souls games ??!!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 3
File: Souls.jpg (373 KB, 1686x822) Image search: [Google]
Souls.jpg
373 KB, 1686x822
Why is everyone praising From software for making pretty much 5 times the same game with updated graphics, new locals, bosses and weapons (same or close game mechanics, art direction, interface, save & level up system,etc,etc) while everyone is shitting on Ubisoft and Activision for doing the same ? This is a legitimate question.
>>
Souls games are actually good games.
>>
>>336340132
cuz those are good games with good gameplay while CoD/Asscreed went to shit after 2.
>>
Ubishit and Activision games are themepark rides that you beat in a weekend and never touch again.
>>
>>336340132
>making pretty much 5 times the same game with updated graphics, new locals, bosses and weapons
I wish every dev would do this once they find a working formula
>>
>>336340132
Well arguably Bloodborne has pretty different gameplay mechanics.
>>
>>336340197
Shouldn't Game reviewers and gamers take into account the fact that nothing has fundamentally changed compared to previous games when they judge the game ?
>>
Because they like Souls games. People are pretty retarded with sequels. CoD or Asscreed being the same is treated as the worst thing ever meanwhile the Megaman fanbase is crying over a lack of new games despite that Capcom was releasing the same shit for decades.
>>
>all the same game
>contradict yourself in the next fucking sentence
Is this bait?
>>
>>336340418
Agreed. Each new game should be an entirely new genre. That way we can say fuck you to the fans that liked the original and wanted more.
>>
>Why is everyone praising
Because it's the current Reddit FOTM meme game and 90% of e-celebs played it.
>>
Because the Souls games are fun and remain engaging.
The only way I can find to describe Ubisoft's offerings is that they are timesinks, nothing more, nothing less.
>>
Because it's all about more gameplay and not the same cinematic shit every year.
>>
>>336340691
that's what EXTENSIONS are for
>>
>>336340780
I'm genuinely curious, what'syour favorite game series? I'd like to see how it changed throughout its lifespan.

You can apply the thought of why you like that series to why people like the Souls series and why we don't want it becoming an FPS or moba.
>>
Because together they all feel like one big game but other games are too in the middle of being different but not similar enough too to feel like an extension of the previous game giving you the illusion that you're playing something different but it really isn't.
>>
>>336340132

What would you add to it? I've never heard a huge clamor among souls fans to add a bunch of different features, and From Software it seems at least knows the first rule of showbiz--give the people what they want.

And to be fair, Asscreed games do add things to the game while keeping the formula more or less the same. You have the core gameplay, but in some games you've got the ship stuff, Syndicate had trains and carriages, etc. They also usually add some new gadget or another.
>>
Nobody actually played/gave a shit about DeS, its the Fallout 2 of Souls franchise (aka its cool to pretend you played it)
DaS was a normie meme
DaS2 sucked ass and nobody praised it
Nobody except PS4cucks played Bloodborne
In short, 80% of Souls fanbase played and cocksucked Das1 and 3.
>>
>>336340902
I didn't talk about it changing genre. Doesn't it bother you a little that a lots of things haven't changed at all since the first souls game in 2009 ? Shouldn't you be asking that some effort should be put into improving things like the interface, hud, saving system and so one that are basically the same since then ?
>>
>>336341252
>Nobody actually played/gave a shit about DeS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon's_Souls#Reception
>>
>>336341481
The saving system is great in Souls games and allowing for manual saves would ruin the structure of the game.

The hud and interface are perfectly fine and have indeed been messed by showing weapon degradation, what item/spell you have next in your set up, etc.

You sound like you've never played the games and are just trying to start shit on a franchise that you can't understand why people like it.
>>
>>336340513
CoD and AssCreed are/were released annually.
Every 6 months you had news of a new one releasing in the next semester. It's a point of stagnation.

It's very simple to understand:
1 -Demon's Souls - 2009 (PS3 exclusive)
2- Dark Souls - 2011
3- Dark Souls 2 - 2014
4- Bloodborn - 2015 (PS4 exclusive)
5- Dark Souls 3 - 2016

1- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007)
2- Call of Duty: World at War (2008)
3- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009)
4- Call of Duty: Black Ops (2010)
5- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2011)
6- Call of Duty: Black Ops II (2012)
7- Call of Duty: Ghosts (2013)
8- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (2014)
9- Call of Duty: Black Ops III (2015)
10- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (2016)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered (2016)
Plus ~10 iOS and Handheld games.

1- Assassin's Creed (2007)
2- Assassin's Creed II (2009)
3- Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (2010)
4- Assassin's Creed: Revelations (2011)
5- Assassin's Creed III (2012)
6- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (2013)
7- Assassin's Creed: Rogue (2014)
8- Assassin's Creed: Unity (2014)
9- Assassin's Creed: Syndicate (2015)
Plus god knows how much more spinoffs.
>>
>>336341843
Notice that I only asked questions in this thread. That is not Shitting on a game. I want to understand because I have the impression that the series hasn't been receiving FAIR reviews. especially last one. And I also can see that you apparently do not expect real changes in a $60 new game whereas I do.
>>
>>336342124
If Dark Souls went that far into the sequels, it would still get great scores. That's why I see it beeing unfair
>>
>>336342248
>If this make believe scenario happened I would be right in it

You're damned right you would be.
>>
File: 1445491774463.gif (2 MB, 390x1080) Image search: [Google]
1445491774463.gif
2 MB, 390x1080
>>336340132
>same game with updated graphics, new locals, bosses and weapons (same or close game mechanics, art direction, interface, save & level up system,etc,etc)
Jesus Christ almighty wait game "series" actually exist? And they have audacity to not make Resident Evil 2 a football manager like you're supposed to when making a sequel or whatever? What the fuck? I heard they also rehash endlessly spell names in Final Fantasy and shit like Biggs, Wedge, Cid, Ultima Weapon and whatnot. How can we stop it /v/? It's getting out of hand. Next thing you know you'll get another Silent Hill set in Silent Hill and involving Alessa or some other atrocious hackjob of a game development. Or a Castlevania with a guy whipping vampires again.
This is a serious travesty we muct stop.
I'm starting Operation: Retards, donate on my patreon to my noble cause
>>
>>336342337
Is this supposed to be funny ? You're not trying at all to answer my question. Also,
your game series exemples are not well chosen since resident evil and FF saw huge changes between two games RE3/RE4, RE4/RE5, FF9/FF10, etc
>>
because the games are good, nigger
>>
>Bloodborne
>Dark Souls
>same game

Giggity my shiggidy friend. Those two games are different in a lot of ways. Also, Dark Souls 2 shouldn't be part of the series, it was an accident and Miyazaki didn't wanted Dark Souls 2, he didn't even make it. If it weren't DaS2, it would basically be:

>Demon Souls (2009)
>Dark Souls (2011)
>Bloodborne (2015)
>Dark Souls 2 (3) (2016)

And you autists wouldn't complain about muh cod releases. And I know the first three games feel different. Haven't played 3 so I can't judge.

Also >>336340271
>>
>>336343023
>Those two games are different in a lot of ways

And they're similar in many many maaaany more ways
>>
>>336343157
Yes, because it's a fucking series you god damn autist.
>>
>>336342649

>huge changes

lel
>>
>>336343218
>says the autist
>>
>>336340132
i think the lack of replayabilty is a big factor

obviously the multiplayer in the souls games is leaps and bounds ahead of stuff like assassins creed/mass effect/type shitand just that alone adds a lot to replayability.

But if you take away multiplayer, there is still way more replayability. Look at the mass effect games for example, Space man do rpg and make a few choices but rly it all ends up the same, you could play again but the builds dont really change the gameplay and theres not really that much stuff to go find. Doing all the 'extra' sidequests are boring repeats through copy pasted halls where as secret optional areas in the souls games are huge and unique.

Lastly there is the straight up difficulty. Although people will argue souls games are still not hard, they are still way harder than stuff like AC. Then theres the added fun of "I beat the game with sword and shield and it was cool, now i will try magic or daggers or fists or whatever.
>>
File: image.jpg (191 KB, 1344x1792) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
191 KB, 1344x1792
>Miyazaki said they have no plans to remaster demon's souls
>>
>>336343157
Give me a game series that's not similar in many ways.

Why aren't you complaining about games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Final Fantasy, hell, fucking Fallout even.
>>
>>336343340
>I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I? :P
>>
>>336343415
who's complaining?
>>
>>336342649
> You're not trying at all to answer my question
No i'm not. You questions are beyond retarded.
If you want an argument then explain why the fuck a series SHOULD ditch perfectly fine UI that shows exactly what players need and is familiar with when he plays another installment, why artstyle of all fucking things, or core mechanic should ever be changed when spin-offs and new IPs exist for that very reason.

>FF saw huge changes between two games
>FF9/FF10
M-hm.
Those don't have Cid or Ultima Weapon, or your brain couldn't digest that little sentence you're answering to and farted? It was aimed at the idiots whining in the same vein about Solaire or Anor Londo, though, but as i said, i wasn't answering your retarded questions
>>
You don't fukken' know that. Some folks probably ridicule all of the companies you mentioned for repeating themselves. Others like From's games but not Activision's or Ubisoft's, and feel the need to throw their little jabs because "I just don't like it" apparently does not suffice.

Think of From's recent releases as remix albums or best-ofs instead of sequels.
>>
Thanks to weebs japanese games get a free pass for rehashing. Nintendo is heralded as last TRU bastion of gaming despite recycling same 5 franchises for 30 years, Trillion FF, FE, MonHun games with indistinguishable variations are okay apparently, then you have truckloads of cloned fighting, MGS, Souls, bullethells, and its all cool, cause its made in glorious country of anniemay and they give us waifus. Western dev dares to make 4 games by the same name and they're worse than Hitler
>>
>>336343415
>Fallout
Are you seriously mentioning the title that went from isometric RPG to irometric tactical game to top down shooter to first person shooter as 'franchise with similar games'?
>>
>>336343572
ARNT U CAN REED RITE???
>>
>>336343356
Thanks a lot. First legitimate answer I got. Now I can understand a bit better.
>>
>>336344157
I take it you have trouble dealing with the concept of Anons not being a single person
>>
>>336344226
Are you serious OP, there where lots of legitimate answers in this thread. Hell, >>336340271 implied about replayability. Are you dense or something?
>>
>>336344326
>Why aren't you complaining about games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Final Fantasy, hell, fucking Fallout even.
>who's complaining?
Watda fuk xd
>>
>>336344428
I disagree. I didn't tell me why some games are penalized for being the pretty much the same form one game and another and souls games aren't. That Anon tried at least to make a point
>>
>>336344479
It's like you don't realize your own sentence imply the person you're talking to is complaining about something in the first place.

I don't think you're ready for conversations yet. It might be a bit too complicated for ya.
>>
>>336345048
>join reply chain middway
>don't differentiate yourself in anyway from OP
>surprised when people think you're OP
moron
>>
>>336345327
>reply chain
>post I replied to isn't replying to anyone

I'm pretty sure you're the moron here.
>>
Because Souls babies are dumb and eat FromSoft crap like it's chocolate.
Souls games are complete and utter crap and only edgy tryhards and casual normal fags like them. There's nothing good about them. The lock on system is broken and crap. The camera is retarded. Gameplay is terrible , repetitive but of course From drones like it because THE SWORDS ARE COOL MANG. Story and lore are virtually nonexistent. Souls players think item descriptions = lore.
Graphics are shit tier. DaS3 and Bloodborne look like early ps3 games. Music is once again nonexistent except for boss fights and even then it's just some shitty evil sounding orchestra. The games are virtually devoid of atmosphere.
Kill yourselves, retarded shitstains.

Souls games are shitty, boring, ugly games with terrible gameplay praised by edgy tryhard weebs for being a little more difficult than your average game.
The sooner someone kills the retards over at From Software the better.
>>
>>336345472
>OP complaining how souls games are all similar
>posting lots in thread
>guy says they are similar
>somehow large leap in logic to think he is OP
moron
>>
Because it's okay when Japan does it. Not even kidding.
>>
>>336345635
Aaaand we're back to
>>336344326

Always here to help the newfags, you're welcome.
>>
>>336345814
Oh mister oldfag-sama, what would we do without you.
>>
>>336345558
thanks for that edgy answer. Now I got the other side of the argument but I can't say I agree to all of this since I didn't play a Dark Souls game for more than two hours
>>
>>336340132
Because people actually play and enjoy Souls games.
>>
>>336340132
Come back after you have played the games, before you start to make stupid threads like these
>>
>>336346561
Because you benevolent man KNOW I didn't play'em
>>
I was actually going to defend the Souls series with a "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it" explanation for why all the games are kinda samey, but then I remembered how there's an Assassin's Creed game literally every 6 months with the same engine and how plenty of other companies do the same shit but get shat on for doing so.
>>
>it's another souIs thread

[-]
>>
>>336340132

Because unlike those other two games, they've gotten better each time. Also

>5

Dark sols came out more than a year after demons and dark souls 2 got a thorough panning.
>>
>>336346787
That's exactly the point of my thread. I want to get genuine answers other that fanboy's cries
>>
>>336346920
see
>>336343356
>>
>>336346708
Justin from jour previous statement, yes. Post picture og blodbanen with timestamp, then we can talk
>>
>>336347002
Yes I answered to that great post already thanks
>>
>>336347005
So you can see I played one of them. I saw It was not my cup of tea but I never said they were bad games or anything. I can separate personal feelings about games and gameplay/formula qualities. My thread, though, is about changes and improvement from one game to another and why it's not judged the same in every series of games
>>
>>336340132
Literally nothing wrong with a game series being the same thing but upgraded why would AC/COD have to completely change itself to appeal to non fans who complain about all the sequels when obviously the fans still love it if they keep making it?

All I'm saying is I expect game 2 and 3 to play like game 1 but with improvement.
>>
>Sequels are bad

The games are amazing. Fuck you and everyone on /v/ who insists on this blatant shitposting.
>>
>>336347593
see
>>336346920
>>
>>336347524
Your analogy with music isn't suitable IMHO. I understand you want a sequel to play like the last one, I would do too. But If you pay 60 bucks (and not an extension price), wouldn't you expect more ? Like improvements and noticeable changes for the better ?
>>
>>336340132
They made demons souls then copied it 3 more times for pcucks.
They also made the pinnacle of these games in bloodborne
>>
>>336348121
What's your take on the games being so similar?
>>
>it's okay when From Software does it!
>>
>>336340132
Souls games are great games but they are as formulaic as COD and Assassins Creed games (although AC games are just a messy gameplay salad that makes absolutely no sense).
I hope some developer hit the mark for great gameplay in the same way that Super Mario Bros, Doom, Zelda, Dark Souls, Resident Evil did, and by that I mean, build an innovative game where you have to master the mechanics, where you take your satisfaction from simply understanding how the game works and not by telling you how great you are for following instructions on which buttons to press. In the mean time, it is fun to play new iterations of the formulas I already enjoy. It's fine.
>>
>>336347861
>Your analogy with music isn't suitable IMHO
The fuck what music analogy? I was using Assassins creed/Call of Duty as a example, But yes I would expect more but saying like for example souls haven't made improvements or noticeable changes is just wrong when the core mechanics gets improved.Demon souls is clunky and slow while the sequel have become more fluid to play because of touching up the mechanics which is what I believe matters the most in sequel even if there are 50 games in the series.
>>
>>336348121
>pinnacle of these games in bloodborne
>Loading Screen - The Game
>>
>>336348473
I get your point. Have you purchased every iterations of the formula to this day ?
>>
>>336348748
Sorry. As you can certainly notice, English isn't my first language so I read the first part of your post wrong. I can understand your point about the fluidity of gameplay from 1st to 2nd dark souls. What about 3rd though ? I cannot understand how it got better score than the first two when, once again, the formula is similar from 3 games ago.
>>
>>336348827
>ive only seen the game in v webm threads
>>
>>336341481
>interface, hud, saving system
Whats wrong with any of those?
>>
>>336349550
I have the fucking game on PS4, as well as all DaS games on PC.

PC is just fucking better. Only people who disagree are those who have never tried it on PC.
>>
>>336348875
No, I pirate all the games I play.
>>
>>336349197
Its fine but I did play and beat Souls 3 and in my honest opinion having played every game in the series its the most quality of them by having good looking graphics and doesn't shit it self with rushed areas such as Izalith. I dont think its the best souls but it has the most balance in quality along with Bloodbourne.
>>
>>336349779
It's like they didn't put any effort to make it better. I would expect that from a new game in a series. Do you really think it can't be improved ?
>>
>>336349967
Well. Maybe that's why you're not asking what you should from a game dev, I don't know. Were you satisfied with every one of them then
>>
>>336350084
Maybe it's me. As most game reviewers that went through this game, do you also think it's not necessary to take into account the fact that it resembles last souls game a lot in a lot of areas as a bad thing ?
>>
>>336350483
I see it as a true sequel to dark souls 1 but resembling the aspects of souls 1 is why 3 isn't as good and I will agree with you on that because it plays to safe with fan service and needed more original weapons and armor.
>>
>>336350312
not at all. To be completely honest, I've bought DS1, DS2 and DS3 for the PC, and I had lot's of fun with all of them. I've pirated DeS for the PS3 and absolutely loved it. The thing is, realistically, I know that no matter what games I buy or what my opinions on the matter are, i'm just an individual, and the huge masses that are really funding formulaic games are the ones shaping the industry. Even that being the case, once in a while, a crazy dev will dare to go against the motions and take risks be that due to odd circunstancies or mere chance, and will produce a brute gem (all that while thousands more try to do the same and fail miserably)
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.