[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been thinking about getting this game. However, I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: logo.png (40 KB, 437x346) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
40 KB, 437x346
I've been thinking about getting this game. However, I've seen people say it's the worst M&L game and it's just like Sticker Star, while others say it's the complete opposite. I don't know who to believe.

Should I get it anons?
>>
Bump for mutual interest
>>
>>336320597
it's mario and luigi, it fixes all the issues from dream team. It's at least as good as dream team, this time with less tutorial bullshit
>>
>>336320873
Do you like Mario RPGs? You'll like this.

I kind of miss the old giant battles, but Papercraft fights are just as good.
>>
Better then Dream Team, not as good as Bowser's Inside Story, doesn't come close to Super Star Saga. It's definitely no Sticker Star though and anyone who says otherwise is a dumb memer.
>>
>>336320597
best battles in the entire series
not a single tutorial
the first M&L to geniunely make me laugh

the rest is eh though
nothing close to the abomination i shall not mention the name of, however
stop listening to memetards, just check out some reviews or gameplay
>>
>>336322304
Are you referring to PiT as an abomination as part of the PiT hate meme or are you meaning Sticker Star
>>
Dream Team isn't worth beating. That's the worst fucking thing a game can be. Inticing in concept, but so badly paced that you drop it midway.

This is "better", but what the fuck does that tell you?

I'll tell you what it means. It means a game you beat and almost completely forget about afterwards. It's fucking shit, and it's rooted int he modern Mario and Luigi formula. That being that they want to keep piling on gimmicky combat.

>but there's no gyro!

that's not what I mean. I mean bosses have to have incredibly long patterns that aren't hard to do, they're just fucking tedious and take up way to much time. Enemies also have stupid long patterns that aren't hard and lose their appeal after the first maybe 5 times. You're repeating these fucking motions and achieving the same result you would in Paper Mario. You attack. They attack.

>but you hit them and counter!

and in the end you spend longer in the battle than you would in super star saga or paper mario. So for any of you who happen to suck dick at these easy patterns when it comes to countering, prepare for an even fucking longer surge of battles.

But the fuckign battle pacing doesn't stop there. Paper Mario happens to be the quickest way to beat bosses. Why? Because of his special moves.

All of which.
suck.
fucking.
ass.

Suffering from the exact problems I'm stating above. Gimmicky, long, drawn out, and zero fun, except for maybe the first one for the first 20 times at the absolute most. I dreaded every single paper move, but without them you're stuck in these atrociously long and boring battles.

>bosses are hard this time!
hard isn't fun. And they're not even hard, they're just repetitive. It's like saying beating the first level of smb3 for 20 times without getting hit once is hard. It's not fucking hard, it just goes on so long that eventually you don't give a shit, and you just might happen to get hurt. The damage is admittedly pretty high, but it's not an issue and it doesn't make up for it all.
>>
>>336323625
this time around the bros moves can be snappy depending on what they are, so that's an improvement in a general sense, but I still think they're boring as the fucking retarded enemy patterns. You see those videos where, say, petey is chasing you from the background and mario and luigi run in the foreground? And all you have to do is fucking wait and press a or b? Maybe move the stick a bit sometimes? Prepare for a fucking lot of that, and different versions of that, such as some 2D ones that go side to side, but it's the exact same fuckign thing in concept. You're waiting for the view to scroll and you just press a or fucking b.

You do that way too much.

Now let's talk about a few goods before I shit on this some more.

Paper characters interacting with their real selves is great. Too bad it only really happens with Peach and Bowser Jr, excluding of course Mario. The rest is a huge fucking misstep, screaming missed potential. This is evident not only in the story, which is awful and treats Paper Bowser like garbage, but in the entire aesthetic of the game.

Environments are long vast fucking plains, textured with very very plainly.

Stretch this big grass texture across a few hills and bridges. You got the grassy plain world.

Stretch this yucky fuckign sand texture and add maybe one big sandy slope to break up the monotony. Beach, Snow, darker haunted grassy plains but not really, fire, etc, etc. The visuals are bland as fuck, and if they were in 2D, people would see how ugly they are. Admitttedly, 3D helps distract you from the visuals of a lot of plain fucking looking games. This game feels like you're looking in a box and it's neat, but put it in 2D and you see how horribly generic it looks.

Then there's toad missions. These are objectively bad. You might like the first few, but then they not ONLY REPEAT THE MISSIONS CONSTANTLY, but they REPEAT THE FUCKING TOAD DIALOGUE.

Not even the smarmy toad attitude could be implemented well.
>>
You have to understand that the only negatives are nitpicks that might bother people who usually play RPG's for a reason

But at the same time these design decisions were from the devs for a good reason

It's a simple standard Story
But it focuses on the current Mario World and gives character development to those who didnt already have, and it focuses on character interractions between those found in both series

Interesting to note is that they originally wanted a deep story, but they couldnt think of anything that didnt feel weird, as well as noticing that splitting attention between interractions and brand new characters is a mucky mess

Another thing about the setting, they wanted a design choice where both series artstyle can mesh well, which is why they chose standard mario style, because both can transition very easily, it would be very off putting to put something simple Paper Mario against something coming out of dream team, it'll make the Paper side look like shit.

The gameplay overall is fucking fantastic though, and especially the bosses are really fucking and great gameplay wise

Toad missions are a massive thing that people hate or like, it really depends, it's basically the gimmicky focus of this game but it's basically a ton of overworld based minigames, I personally perfer them over the gimmicky shit BiS and DT did with their minigames

There you go i guess, this is my personal opinion

It's still a great game but it really depends on what your priorities are in this type of game
>>
File: 149.png (2 MB, 864x2046) Image search: [Google]
149.png
2 MB, 864x2046
>>336320597
I say it's the worst M&L game so far but it's certainly not bad.

Good:
-Gameplay is still there and good as ever AKA it's a true RPG unlike Sticker Star
-No Gyro controls or tutorials from Dream Team
-Yoko Shimomura's music is as sexy as ever
-Top-tier writing
-Character is given to older Mario enemies such as Bowser Jr, the King Bob-omb and Koopalings.
Bad:
-Boring generic environments (It's NSMB-esque)
-Barely any story
-Mini-games can go fuck themselves, especially the Toad ones which happen way too much
-While I like playing as Paper Mario he feels more like a tool as opposed to a new character added to the game

Also personally not a fan of the Paper Craft thing, I found it annoying and uninteresting. Anyways, I wouldn't recommend it but it's certainly not shit.
>>
>>336323625

That's an absolutely garbage opinion

The majority states that bosses being great and tough was the best part of the game

get gud fag
>>
>>336324382

>-Boring generic environments (It's NSMB-esque)

See >>336324336 has said

>>>Another thing about the setting, they wanted a design choice where both series artstyle can mesh well, which is why they chose standard mario style, because both can transition very easily, it would be very off putting to put something simple Paper Mario against something coming out of dream team, it'll make the Paper side look like shit.

>Barely any story

The game is focused on character interractions, and they tried putting a deeper story but it was shit as an end product, they used the simple story as an excuse to bring better RPG representation to the actual Mario World
>>
>>336324132
I'm telling you, you aren't going to want to revisit this fucking game afterwards. It will be forgotten and treated like an okay game because of the improvements that people take at face fucking value.

Look at the shit underneath. It's horribly paced and repetitive. SuperStar Saga had the best paced battles and it's only been more and more shit from there.

That said, skipping everything, minus a few moments from that cunt starlow (who is still unlikeable and unnecessary as ever. She never adds anything to any scene, and is only there for talking for the characters), is a huge deal considering Dream Team. Music is solid of course. Animations slick, and stomping on paper foes feels better than you'd think. Paper Mario's jump feels good despite its length because of the input from the player. It's a string of button inputs that you don't get when you're waiting for the fucking standard enemy to attack, doing some bullshit where they run around you and try to pull some tryhard "clever" gimmicks.

Just don't play it. Nobody is going to want to replay this afterwards unless they're deluded like
>>336324406
who can't even fucking understand a comment, let alone the problems with pacing in a standoff.
>>
>>336324561
I understand why they did it, Anon, I've heard AlphaDream even said it was due to that and the next game will be like the others but it doesn't make this game any less boring to me. It all depends on what you're looking for from an RPG though overall, I didn't like it much, but like I said it wasn't shit. At least it wasn't Sticker Shit for sure.
>>
>>336324382
Oh yeah, goddamn. Those paper craft battles are so bad that I wiped them from memory. The first time it's cute. The second time you're hoping they don't make it a constant thing. And then they do, and there's never a moment of fun in it.

It's just the sheer amount of fucking laziness. Were there even any actual RPG towns in this game? Every "town" I remember just had the same 3 shops. Right next to each other and that's it. If they're there, they certainly don't leave an impression. No thanks to the nsmb environments of course
>>
>>336320597
>say it's just like Sticker Star, while others say it's the complete opposite

well you got lied to. It certainly isn't the best at anything. At it's absolute best, it's still overall worse than 1 and 3, and on a more subjective level I'd argue 2 as well.
>>
>>336320597
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.