[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong? How did we go from Prime 3 to this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: otherm.jpg (72 KB, 466x657) Image search: [Google]
otherm.jpg
72 KB, 466x657
What went wrong? How did we go from Prime 3 to this?
>>
>>336316910
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX4mhp-8sOc
>>
>>336316910
Sakamoto is senile.
>>
>>336317154
Tanabe is batshit insane
>>
When Sakamoto forgot what made the series Metroid, and what defined Samus's personality.

I've seen a lot of people defend Other M with statements like "You're just projecting what you think her character is!" or "We knew nothing about her in all the previous games". Bullshit, all of it. Ever since Super Metroid, and even debatably the end of Metroid II, we have seen Samus's character through her actions. Metroid 1 was cool (regarding Samus as a character that is) because we had no idea who she was. Everyone thought it was some space marine in armor, or a robot, or something. Then you get the right ending and then boom, she's a woman? This is Samus. Metroid II doesn't really delve much further into her character, with the exception of the ending with the Metroid hatchling.

Super Metroid is where her character really starts to develop. With the power of the SNES, now we can see in her idle animations how she breathes, as if she has a bit of trepidation before charging into the unknown below the surface. We got the monologue at the beginning, which kept it brief, updated us on the story so far, and that was it. Everything else was from her actions. At the end when she is fighting the walking form of Mother Brain, and she is clearly on the brink of defeat, then the Metroid comes in and saves her, that was a moment of actions speaking much louder than words ever could. This is one of many things these games did so well.

Jumping forward, we have the Prime games, which pulled off all these subtleties even better! Every time there was a bright flash, you could see her eyes reflected in the visor and could see a somewhat fearful look. During every elevator sequence, watch her animation as she looks somewhat nervously around the room, not knowing what she is going into next. Remember at the end of Prime 2, when she was basically like "Yeah, I saved all of you, bye!" and waves and walks away? That moment was incredibly powerful.
>>
Gave it a fair shake and it was boring and i kept rolling my eyes every 5mins. The plot was so 'anime' and you dont even see a Metroid till the last hour of the game. I just kept wanting it to end.
>>
>>336316910
The baby
>>
File: 1442797699348.gif (995 KB, 257x194) Image search: [Google]
1442797699348.gif
995 KB, 257x194
I enjoyed other m
>>
>>336318002

erm can you like shut the fuck up
>>
>>336316910
Because Prime 3 wasn't good either
>>
Metroid only sold well in America and Sakamoto wanted to make a Metroid for the japanese audience.

He failed.
>>
>>336318002
Continued...

Some of my examples from the Prime trilogy come from TheGamingBrit's videos on the subject. One particular example he mentions is in Prime 2, when you are on the opposite side of glass from Dark Samus fighting a group of Space Pirates. You sit there, in control, and watch her vanquish all of them instantly. The Prime series was full of excellent moments like that.

Even Prime 3, while having voice acted cutscenes, STILL did a great job at subtlety with Samus's character. She didn't say a word all game, but you could tell she was worried by her own corruption. Remember that scene after the Omega Ridley battle, when she has to take her helmet off and vomit? While Samus is a badass, she still has her weaknesses like that. At the end of Prime 3, you can tell she feels remorse for having to kill Rundas, Ghor, and Gandrayda, perfectly normal hunters that were corrupted by Phazon and couldn't be saved.
>>
>>336316910
Prime 3 didn't sell well. In fact the Prime games should have sold well but Nintendo fans showed that they obviously want nothing more than Mario, Mario Kart and Smash Bros. So that is all what those fags deserve. They want it anyways.

A game like the Prime games would have sold at least twice what they did on either Xbox or Playstation.
>>
>>336318728
You got sales figures for that?

Do you really think they would have made Prime 2 if Prime 1 didn't sell well? Do you really think Prime 3 didn't sell well? I seriously doubt it.
>>
>>336316910
Nothing, it's a pretty solid game.
>>
>>336318857
Compare the Prime games to the sales of some of the top FPS games out there. Compare it to how well series like Halo sells. To series like Uncharted.

Prime has no reason selling as little as it did other then the fact that it was on a Nintendo console and Nintendo is regarded as a child's console by the masses. Only a few of Nintendo's so called "beloved franchises" even sell well anymore. Outside of the ones I named Pokemon sells well but if we are talking the main series then that only applies to handhelds obviously.
>>
>>336319142
>Comparing Metroid to other FPS

Yeah, I bet the multiplayer on metroid was pretty good to compete
>>
>>336319142
Different anon, did you ever figure that no Prime game sold as well as the first because Tanabe decided they should play more like a FPS instead of a fucking Metroid game like the first Prime?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.