[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think GoG Galaxy will every take off? I'm starting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: download (1).png (498 KB, 992x558) Image search: [Google]
download (1).png
498 KB, 992x558
Do you think GoG Galaxy will every take off? I'm starting to get sick of Steam and their monopoly on PC gaming.
>>
>>336310578
You dont need galaxy if you want to move away fron Steam. Unless you like using a launcher for games/social features etc.
>>
Nah

Not until the majority of AAA releases start coming out simultaneously on it along with Steam, which will never happen because publishers will never sell DRM-free out of the gate (CD Projekt is GOG, so it's already their own distribution channel). So it will continue to be a client for old games everyone already played 15 years ago and indie games nobody wanted anyway.
>>
>>336310947
>new releases
>on GoG
>on GOOD OLD GAMES

It's not their niche, and honestly not where they need to be competing.
>>
>>336310947
I used to be a die hard GOG fan when they came out. But once they started prioritizing early access indie crap over legitmate releases I got really fed up with them. Not to mention their neglect for Linux. Lots of games on GOG have linux ports elsewhere, and they are never transparent about it.
>>
I don't mind the limited selection of games, but average 50% discount is not good enough for me to move away from steam, I already stopped buying from steam store though, only cheap keys
>>
>>336311185

Well, they've more or less cornered the market on old games, with the exception of the old stuff Steam sells and Origin's classic offerings.

So even in their own niche they're struggling to compete.
>>
>>336311219
Linux fanboys are the worse. ;)
>>
So you don't like steam, but are OK using a shittier version of steam?
>>
>>336311185
They dropped the old games bit. It's just GoG now
>>
>>336311305
oh and a lot of stuff I actually want is not there: Scarface the world is yours, Monopoly tycoon, Starwars Pod racer etc

I try to support them by buying extra copy of games I like there, but the price just cant compete with steam so usually valve gets my money
>>
>>336310578
Why do some people use a lower case "o"?

Never really got that.
>>
>>336311713
Scarface the world is hard as hell to get working on PC
>>
>>336310578
> sick of steams monopoly
> not sick of Microsoft windows monopoly
>>
>>336312051
>it's okay when steam does it
>>
>>336311658
That's still "good old games" You dumbshit.
>>
>>336312051

Apparently Windows just slipped below 90% control.

Still, it's at least not as shit as the rest. OSX is a pussified version of Ubuntu with too many locks in place on user control, and Linux has been trapped in the same holy wars since 1991 over developers who will simultaneously complain that Linux deserves attention but won't budge on making user friendly interfaces.

inb4 Linux isn't hard, I have a Mint laptop for road work, but I'm not about to install that shit on my windows desktop just so I can run WINE/VMs when I want games.
>>
I was stoked when I heard about it and have been using it since it came out.

Wish they did more to support older titles though.
>>
>>336310578
not until they get something like steam workshop

I bought Infinifactory off of Steam even though I prefer GOG because the Steam version had workshop support, and I wanted to play the fan-made puzzles
>>
>>336312249
it's more like good old games! or good ol' games! rather than good old games now

you know?
>>
>GoG fags actually think they are relevant
>>
>>336312757
COPIES OF WHAT?
>>
>>336312249
No, it isn't. Dumbshit.
>>
One reason steam so big is because steam fans have this console gamer way of thinking. They get blind brand loyalty like console gamers.
>>
File: totalSales1.png (36 KB, 588x431) Image search: [Google]
totalSales1.png
36 KB, 588x431
>>336312757
>not posting the updated one
>>
>>336313190
>>336312757
>tfw GOG is probably gonna go under and the 200 games I bought there will have to be saved on an external HD forever

I should've just stuck with Steam, shouldn't I?
>>
>>336310578
no because it's not required like steam. it will mostly be a utility for people that already go to gog
>>
>>336313153
I assume it was the cheap games.That's the reason I still buy shit on steam all the time, I just wish there was a DRM free alternative I could use with competitive prices.
>>
>>336310578
That's like saying television makers have a monopoly on showing tv shows

You dumb fucking millennials are literally ruining PC gaming for every fucking shitty steam-rip off you download.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND
>>
>>336313686
>most AAA games, even when you buy a boxed copy, are required to be installed on Steam
>not a monopoly
>>
>>336313295
at least if you back them up you'll always have access to them, since they're DRM free

however if Steam ever goes under, you'd just be fucked
>>
>>336310578
>will an optional piece of software that's used for a game store that primarily sells old games take off
>why doesn't a store that sells old game complete against a platform that sells new games for no reason

why do you keep milhousing these dumb memes?
>>
>>336310578
Maybe, if it ever moves past the "barely functional wreck" stage.
>>
>>336314554

>if Steam ever goes under, you'd just be fucked

I'd honestly love to see how that'd be possible. Shit's a privately-held company worth billions with a rabid fanbase and a near-stranglehold on its market, yet the detractors speak of it like tomorrow Gaben's gonna pull the plugs, shut down everything and walk out.
>>
>>336312249
>>336311658
they changed the name from "good old games" to just GOG since they don't just sell old games, how hard is this to understand?
>>
>>336310578
I miss pre-owned PC games.
>>
>>336314404
it would be a monopoly if you could only purchase video games from steam. there are other platforms like origin and uplay (and whatever shit beth is getting ready to pull) that complete with steam. other companies also had years to out-innovate steam during the shitty green steam years but they were convinced digital was just a fad or fucked the dog like old origin. what it comes down to is no other company wants to bother to try and really compete with it because everyone can sell steam keys and make money and just let valve handle the infrastructure.
>>
>>336314790
once Gaben dies Steam is going to become so shit, nobody will even WANT to use it

never put too much trust into a soulless corporation, never put all your eggs in one basket, etc.
>>
>>336315515
It's not like we have a choice, when 80% of the major releases are Steam DRM.
>>
>>336312365
Well actually depending on whose numbers you go by Microsoft may even be below 50% but they still have a lot of power over PC gaming to place artificial restrictions on it like they have with the DX12 and UWP fiascos.

The good news is that there are now thousands of native games on Linux and the Vulkan API is all of the good things about D3D12 with none of the bad shit.
>>
>>336310578

GoG is better than Steam...but i love both so...i donĀ“t know anon.
>>
>>336310578
If GoG got just a few more games, I would stop using Steam entirely.
>>
>>336315515
Who said Gabe is still alive? I don't think he's been seen for over a year
>>
>>336310578

Buy whatever you can from GOG and go to Steam only if their prices are insanely good, or (the more likely option) if GOG doesn't offer the game.
>>
>>336315515
Once gaben is dead and hl3 is confirmed for vaporware im gonna kill myself anyway.
>>
>>336314758

This. Ever since it was released in beta form, it's been pretty clear they aren't commited to making it good, or even "better". It took them forever to even add pausable downloads/updates for fuck's sake. And my butt's still sore as fuck they refuse to do a handle system. Real usernames you buy shit under should not be top layer, and you had a fucking weird one you woudn't want to play games with, you still have to go through support's assreaming to change it.

Galaxy is just shit, and GOG doesn't give enough of a fuck to make it not shit.
>>
>>336313295
How would they go under they been getting bigger.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.