[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If we already reached peak triangles, why are the devs making
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: diminishing returns.jpg (33 KB, 506x253) Image search: [Google]
diminishing returns.jpg
33 KB, 506x253
If we already reached peak triangles, why are the devs making new generations of consoles? My PC from 2007 can play contemporary games even now.
>>
We haven't, also games are still far from looking like real life, we don't even have raytracing yet.
>>
File: 1444274488715s.jpg (12 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
1444274488715s.jpg
12 KB, 250x241
>nvidia
>>
It's not only about polygon count
AI and other processing needs a good CPU
Fancy AAA post-processing shaders need better GPUs
>>
>>336281004
this
>>
>>336280789
Right now bounce lighting (AO,GI,reflections, etc) is the holy grail of game technology. Once a single unified system (like Epic Games tried with their Sparse Voxel Octree system) has been successful in achieving this, they'll move on to simulating smoke and water properly.
>>
Volumetric effects
Particle effects and turbulence
Fluid simulation
Ambient occlusion
Global illumination
Layered shaders and materials

More NPCs on screen
More stuff in general
More effects
>>
>>336281004
Firstly, it can't be AI that is taking so much memory because all the latest triple A games are piss easy. They are actually easier than games from 2003.

Secondly, most of the shaders being used today were also used in gaming years ago. On a side note, the shaders don't even make games look better. Every game that comes out now has shaders out the ass to the point that everything looks slimy, glossy, or plastic.
>>
Games still have crap physics.
And no, Havok is not a good physics engine.
>>
>>336281505
Okay forget about AI, physics is a big deal.
And it's not about memory, it has to do processing time.
RAM is cheap
>>
>>336282235
You can download more ram
>>
>>336282235
I would believe you that physics might take a lot of processing power, but the truth is that the Source engine still has better physics than 99% of games currently coming out. If you compare any AAA game with the latest COD, you won't notice a meaningful difference in the physics. Besides, though the simulated physics are present, they are never implemented in any significant way. The extent of it is corpses becoming ragdolls (but collisions are usually removed automatically after they initially go limp) and being able to nudge props by shooting them.
>>
File: polygons for idiots.png (492 KB, 1006x1007) Image search: [Google]
polygons for idiots.png
492 KB, 1006x1007
>>336280789
meme
>>
>>336283128
PEAK
O
L
Y
>>
That pic is the poly equivalent of showing a game at a higher resolution while keeping the original textures.
>>
>>336283128
How long does it take to make a 40k poly model? Are those all 'placed' by hand? Or is it a semi-automated process?
>>
>>336280789
Fancier effects
More characters and NPCs
Bigger terrain
Higher resolution
More FPS
Better AA and lighting
>>
Why do some games built on the unity engine like Rust look good and perform well while other games built on the same engine look like ass and perform like miserable shit?
>>
>>336283978
You make a model and it has trilions of poly
You then reduce the poly count to a number, you can set what parts have to remain as detailed as you like and which are not as important

You sculpt a model yoi dont put triangles together

And about time?
Depends on the model
From a few hours to a few days
>>
>>336284223
Same reason that tumblr fan art can be made with the same paint and canvas as a Rembrandt painting.

False equivalency I guess, but it gets the point across.
>>
Lighting is the single most important contributor to good visuals. Polycount and texture resolution are the GHz myths of video games.
>>
>>336285028
Yeah, that actually makes good sense. So I guess the unity engine can do some good shit.
>>
>>336284223
Same reason why some games like UT4 run and look fantastic and mosto ther UE4 games run like fucking shit in comparison
The maker of the engine is actually competent and knows how to use his engine well while most other people (indies) don't know how to for shit
>>
>>336284223
Did you know that Bioshock 1 runs on Unreal 2?
>>
>>336286242
I knew it was UT since I can feel the UT engine, but I seriously thought it was ut3.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.