[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If the Wii's success wasn't a fluke then why isn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: 2939398-nintendo unit sales.jpg (71 KB, 914x664) Image search: [Google]
2939398-nintendo unit sales.jpg
71 KB, 914x664
If the Wii's success wasn't a fluke then why isn't the Wii U a runaway success like it's predecessor?
>>
>>336249069
the wii was marketed well.

The wii would like to play ads were so good you can probably remember them just like "so easy a caveman could do it", "dont forget to drink your ovaltine" and "Help I've fallen and I can't get up."

You probably even remember the music from the Wii would like to play commercial.
>>
Because of the name

The Wii was a fluke because nintendo somehow managed to attract millions of the retarded casual shit.

The Wii U failed because those same retards are too retarded to know that the Wii U is a different console and not an accessory.
Casuals didn't buy it, third party faggots didn't buy it, people that actually like video games didn't buy it because there's only like 3~4 must play games on the system and of course, the salewhore guys didn't buy it because that shit only 6 units total
>>
>>336249401
>No zelda at launch

>smash is bad compared to brawl and melee

>Controller is unwieldy
>>
>>336249069
A fluke is not defined by it´s own qualities but through the norm.
It was one.
>>
>>336249367
>"Help I've fallen and I can't get up."
Life Alert makes the funniest commercials I swear. They always just zoom to nosehair level when they get the old lady to say it as well.
>>
>>336249069

The Wii lucked out in that it advertised it's self as a fitness platform in the middle of a fitness craze, and it was dick cheap in the middle of a recession.
>>
>>336249401
I know the naming convention is one of the big blunfer about the Wii U. I recall when I was young and slaved to my parents wallet they couldn't grasp the concept that there was a difference between the NES and SNES.

Though they could with the PS"1" and PS"2".
The Gamecube was a case of wrong place wrong time due to the XBOX. XBOX was this new enticing THING from a big boy like Microsoft which at that point was getting to become a household name. New flavor with an edg yulate 90s, early 2000s style.

It easily tantalized people away from an oldguard like Gamecube. Not to mention PS2 doubled as a fairly cheap DVD player which the average non game centric user could benefit from.... Suddenly Nintendo had lost a chunk of its market share it was using to compete with Sony; its former sole competitor, and Microsoft had the money to reel in 3rd party developers.
>>
>>336249367
It wasn't just marketing. It actually had a gimmick that made it different enough to seem totally new and open to irregular game consumers.

The biggest problem was that those consumers aren't continuous loyal consumers.

They are fickle, and would never have come back for a second helping after the wii.
>>
>>336249069
Iwata was very vocal of his strategy with Wii, and it was clear to anyone with business sense that, while it was a huge risk, could succeed, and it did. Nintendo fucked things up towards the second half of the gen, though.

With Wii U, they made it clear they were jumping back into the red ocean with Microsoft and Sony. After the lukewarm reaction to the system's unveiling, any idiot could see it was going to fail. It was only a matter of how hard.

It's like you people didn't pay attention to a damn thing Iwata said leading up to the Wii.
>>
>>336249757
>implying that brawl is good
>>
>>336249069

The wii success wasnt such

it promised virtual reality and it pandered to as many people as it could

Nintendo literally killed video games and themselves

The worst part is that they keep insisting on the same shitty gimmicks no one wants
>>
>>336249069
>why isn't the Wii U a runaway success like it's predecessor?

because nintendo fucked up in every single field

-the wii worked because it had a huge success with children and casuals, releaseing a wii U and burning you whole marketing budget around a picture of the gamepad sounds like what it is: a new pad
-no games
-can't pirate it
-no zelda: one of the biggest system seller
-trash mario games
-reharsh
-no important ip except mario
-censor everything
-amiibos; 15$ DLCs

seriously, they just needed to talk about their normal gamepad, how you can use it, how comfortable it is and how long you can last with it, that's all they needed to do in order to make sales
>>
Because a sample size of 6 with one being a major outlier is far too small to graph a trend
>>
>>336249069
Wii was a fluke Nintendo can't come up with a new gimmick to attract casuals in droves.
>>
>>336251327
Almost everything you describe also applies to the WII

the wii sold on marketing and brand name alone since it was complete garbage people learned the lesson and didnt buy anything else from nintendo
>>
>>336249069
Wii-u didn't come with Wii sports and the pad was dumb as hell.
>>
>>336249069
Because of the fucking shitty name. Every normie just thought the Wii U was an expensive controller add on for the existing Wii.
>>
>>336250241
I would have been more in on the Wii-u if they hadn't basically abandoned motion controls. Shit was fun as fuck on certain games, and I'd have loved to play RE 5 and 6 with them, but they didn't stick with the thing that let them sell a grossly underpowered console against the ps3/360
>>
>>336252686
>Almost everything you describe also applies to the WII
mario galaxy 1/2, 2 zelda, several metroid, 1 fire emblem, the xenosaga sequel, piss cheap console from the start where the competition was >"haha 600$ grill", a new pad with a real marketing behind, good advertisement, still no hacks for the wii u

what you said is absolutely right, but it still had something behind, and the competition was garbage at the time, but everyone learned their lesson:
-xbox and ps take a while to take off, but when they do, it's great
-nintendo use the guns at the start, then run dry

it also doesn't help that nintendo aims only for the 3DS
>>
>>336253250
Motion controls have aged like milk, the only games that did it right are ones that actually required you to point at the screen(So shooters and adventure games), and the handful of games that used Motion Plus. Trying to go back to play something on the Wii is a huge hit or miss nowadays.
>>
>>336250241
Man if this shit didn't turn you on every time you see it

kill yoruself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p7uJp25BlE
>>
>>336253330
I concede you mario galaxy

mario galaxy 2 was a rehash
The metroid games were garbage
The 2 worst zeldas in the entire franchise
I dont even remember those 2 games nor anyone talking about them here

If you look at top sold wii games those are not eve nin the top 20, the top 20 are assorted shovelware

none of the wii games used the gimmick that was advertised as VIRTUAL REALITY WE FUTURE NAO

All the ports it got were from a previous generation and downsized to fit its hardware which was actually weaker

it didnt get any of the important multiplat the rest of the market wanted to play

Nintendo didnt even bother to come up with new IPs to have a worthwhile alternative in fact they did more mario games which were rehashed games from previous generations, the most offensive one being that one where you had to play 100x3 times nes mario levels in a row to finish a whole level

One would have thought they knew the wii was garbage and no one liked it but no, they went all in on the WII U and no one is going to fall for the same scam twice
>>
>>336250241
This, nintendo appealed to the casual market and won

but the casuals moved to the tablets, nintendo tried to win them again but the bad marketing and confusing name fucked them, and there is no way to know if the casual would have moved away from the tablets to the wii u either way
>>
>>336249367
>You probably even remember the music from the 'Wii would like to play commercials'
FUCK YOU'RE RIGHT
>>
Wii is the best modern casual gamer console you can get. It's so fun. Why would I buy a wii U when it has nothing the wii or any other console can do better. They shot themselves in the foot.
>>
>>336255984
But you can play Wii games on the Wii U...
>>
according to your linear trend, the next nintendo console should sell negative units?
>>
The wii genuinely seemed revolutionary at the time. It had an immediate and obvious appeal. Everybody wanted to try it out. It was new, modern, exciting, cheap and accessible.

The U was none of those things. It was confusing, intimidating and had no obvious USP. It was essentially a shit tablet and everybody already owned ipads by the time it came out. It was confusing to casual players and didn't appeal to the hardcore either.

The name was the least of the Wii Us problems. The concept for the console itself was just shit and convoluted, it was too expensive and it launched with no big games.

Nintendo would've been better off making a straight up Wii 2. They couldve forged a.whole new path with the Wii brand. They spent years teaching people - people who perhaps otherwise wouldnt have played games - how to use the Wiimote, and then they just fucking dropped it with the U. The game pad has nowhere near the same accessibility the wiimote had and even if it had been marketed properly the casuals still wouldn't have bought it.

The Wii as a brand was the video game equivalent of Apple. Families trusted the brand and nintendo were onto a really good thing..and then they ruined it for themselves by making the Wii U
>>
>>336255757
I think tablets and smartphones stole the DS market moreso than the Wiis. I think there's still space for a cheap Netflix, wii fit and party game box. The Wii U was just shit and offered nothing to anybody really

and this is coming from a wii u owner
>>
>>336253404
Yeah, motion controls were gimmicky as fuck, but the ones that did it well were golden
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.