[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is this the future of vidya?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 6793154-3x2-940x627.jpg (89 KB, 940x627) Image search: [Google]
6793154-3x2-940x627.jpg
89 KB, 940x627
>hey, remember CoD 4? Remember Baldur's Gate? Remember Doom 1,2? Remember Castlevania SotN? Those were the best games in their respected series, right?
>here's a remaster of CoD 4, here's some new content for BG, here's a reboot of Doom, here's a spiritual successor of SotN

Why make new games when you can revitalize and cash in from fan favorites?
>>
Blame the people who worship those particular games, as if they're of any significantly higher quality than any other title.

Thing is, people want more of what they were first exposed to. SoTN was baby's first Castlevania title for kids who grew up with an original Playstation. A generation was exposed to D&D first through Baldur's Gate.

The people who played Doom first look at CoD with disdain, and the kids who started with CoD tell the older doom fans they just don't "get it."
>>
Because from the average consumer's perspective, it's wiser to spend your money on something familiar that you know you'll at least be satisfied with, as opposed to taking a risk with a product that could possibly be unsatisfactory.
>>
File: 1445298801161.gif (328 KB, 438x288) Image search: [Google]
1445298801161.gif
328 KB, 438x288
>>336245539
I agree shit seems shakey now.

>consoles are noticeably on the decline with less and less games.
>pc games on the rise, but primarily in indie games
>FPS are dying on consoles and riddled with cheaters on PC.
>big devs holding IPs hostage.
>Seaon passes, DLC, Pre order "bonuses"
>market being flooded with SJW
>tablet gaming on the rise and will probably be next generation of gamers primary way to game.
>Gaming Media is either Autistic, SJW nitpickers or in bed with big Devs.

Why live...
>>
>>336245539
The people who are more important than the end user, the investors, like it when there's more money in their pockets, so companies spit out a remaster or a remake instead of dumping money into a new IP which might fail to capture an audience.
>>
The people who brought you the great games we've played over the years are no longer in control of their own artistic vision. Look at Bungie, started from the ground up and made great games. After H3 they wanted to be done with Halo but of course that wasn't going to happen because the investors want to keep milking the cash cow for what is WAS. So now we have formulas with small changes inbetween and now we're coming full circle and selling repackaged goods.
>>
If any of the re-dos were good I'd be fine with it. But look at what we have. New content for BG is shit, the reboot of Doom seems to completely miss the point of the series, the successor to SotN is locked behind a possibly shit kickstarter process, and more stupid shit. Also look at stuff like the Silent Hill HD Collection.

I'd be fine with getting new, updated versions of beloved games if they were done well or added good content. But the content is never good. My issue doesn't lie in remaking shit, but the fact that what we're getting is shit.
>>
File: Why.png (46 KB, 321x460) Image search: [Google]
Why.png
46 KB, 321x460
>Mfw people actually get excited for a remake of a game that is still perfectly playable in its original form
>>
>>336249878
I dont know why they dont just sell the old games online on gog or something. They dont need to do anything with them just package them with an emulator and sell em for a fiver. It would require minimal effort and they wouldn't be butchering the old games and its not like they make any money off games from previous gen consoles now anyway cos they're out of print.
>>
>>336245539
Phrased in a more positive way:
>why fix what isn't broken?

I don't even know if nostalgia is the driving factor so much as it is modern game studios don't know how to do anything but make movies and market them. They've forgotten how to develop fun games but they can at least take games that are fun and put their new coats of paint on them.
>>
>>336246407
no blame the faggots who slurp marketing and buy bland shit on name/trailers
>>
I get your point, but putting an ADS shooter in a list with real games feels like you're a little out of touch
>>
>Baldurs gate

I will never not be mad that they made that.
Everything, FUCKING EVERYTHING, the remake does can be acquired via free mods execpt for the new characters and the new items which completely fucked up the balance.

So you're paying 20 dollars for muh OC donut steel and for them to make the game easy as fuck.
TWENTY FUCKING DOSH BUCKS FOR SOME CHARACTERS AND TO TURN DOWN THE DIFFICULTY SLIDER BEYOND CASOOL
>>
Judging by the lazy shitfest that has been AAA games in the last 5-10 years, i dont mind some remakes and older games being ported.
Why not bring back games from back when games were good?
>>
>>336252424
Because most of the time either the old game is completely fine in it's current state and doesn't need to be remade or they try to 'improve' it and end up fucking it to hell and back
>>
Dudebros ruined gaming, welcome to the 21st century.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.