[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the actual fuck from?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 50
File: 20160501190856_1.jpg (668 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160501190856_1.jpg
668 KB, 1920x1080
What the actual fuck from?
>>
they don't care
>>
Tanimura.
>>
>>336220807
Yeah, why save people having to walk the extra 100m instead of forcing busy work into the game? What were they thinking?
>>
Chalice dungeon design philosophy.
>>
a bonfire after every boss and at the start of every new area regardless of how inane it is
>>
wait, where is that located? I feel like I missed a ton of shit in the game.
>>
literal autism
>>
I liked it.
Then again I'm the type of guy who autosaves every 100 metres in video games so I don't have to walk the distance if I die.
>>
>>336220953

dragonslayer armour boss and right after i think
>>
but I was told this was a love letter to souls fans....

this is ds2.2....
>>
>>336220807
fuckers will post this shit the whole damn day, but never mention that cathedral of the deep had one bonfire you were opening shortcuts to get back to
>>
>>336220807
I just beat him on NG+ and I never really noticed this before now. I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure if it bothers me or not but it sure as fuck seems kinda pointless.
>>
>>336221059
but... I was told.... this game was.... miyazaki's child.....
>>
is this... the power... of A-team?
>>
Someone probably decided every boss room needed a bonfire to warp to at the last second and they just decided to roll with it without removing the redundant ones
>>
>>336221120
the dragonslayer bonfire just saves you 10 seconds on your way to lothric/lorian shortcut
>>
dont mind 2 being so close but why the fug are some so far away from each other?
>>
>>336221274
Because you're supposed to unlock shortcuts
>>
>>336221059
which is good. Actually felt like you are progressing and not walking straight through corridors. Too bad the place was fucking empty
>>
>>336220807
Can you explain how the placement of those bonfires has a negative impact on one's experience?
>>
>>336221316

yeah but even with shortcuts some are still way far away compared to others.
>>
>>336221536
It's retarded. Retarded things have a negative impact on me.
>>
>>336221318
I got the feeling that all the beefy knights everywhere always made up for numbers.
>>
>>336221198
Bloodborne is the power of A-team. DaS was half-assed and a side project alongside BB, taking whatever scraps they were given until BB was complete.
>>
>>336221059
Irithtyll dungeon as well.
Level design is miles above 2
>>
>>336221536

if there was a bonfire every 100m throughout the entire game would that be a negative to you? why? now imagine that on a much smaller scale.
>>
>>336221059
It's the exception to the rule in that regard - the rest of the game is riddled with bonfires.

How does the one in the Water Reserve even light up? The kindling's submerged.
>>
>>336221575
I dunno anon, I feel like something must have impacted your head pretty hard for you to care about something so trivial
>>
>>336220807
>All those 'Bonfire ahead and then Bonfire ahead" messages
>>
>>336221683
Something might have, what's your point?
>>
>>336221629
Well meme'd. Miyazaki IS A team you moron. DaS 3 has been in development since 2013
>>
>>336221668
But bonfire placement is hardly an issue anywhere else in the game, so your point is irrelevant. If there were enemies between those 2 particular bonfires, I could understand how it would be a problem, but that's not the case. It's literally there for your convenience, not to make the game easier, moron.
>>
>>336220807
Probably saves loading time.
>>
>>336221740

>praise the ______
>>
>>336221749
And his named was attached to DaS3 for marketing purposes.
>>
>>336221752
Is that really the reason? The convenience?
If that's the case why not just remove the boss bonfire? You have to walk the distance from the boss bonfire to the next bonfire anyway so just remove the bonfire and problem solved.
It's not for convenience, it's for a strange idea of consistency which ironically makes the distance between bonfires inconsistent.
>>
>>336221821
Source: your faggot ass.
>>
>>336221882
You can warp back to the boss area or the start of the next area? why is that so hard to understand? why would you want to have to remember what boss was before each area's bonfire? that's stupid
>>
>>336221882
>If that's the case why not just remove the boss bonfire?

Unwritten rule, I guess? There's not a single bonfire in the game that doesn't appear after defeating a boss, so it would be strange to break that consistency in just one location just because some autists on a Chinese image board will sperg over it if notice 2 bonfires are just a little too close for them. Seriously, why is this even a discussion.
>>
>>336220878

This.

They should actually have one bonfire in every room or at least every 5 steps so the amount of busy work getting back to where you already were before is trimmed down significantly.
>>
>>336221882

yeah it's the bonfire for new area, bonfire after boss convention they are following. do we really think they cared about convenience just for this one part of the game?

sounds like you're the moron >>336221752
>>
>>336221059
Yeah that was fucking great. It's the moment I could tell that this game was far better than 2.
>>
>>336220807
Boss bonfire and bonfire for new area (Archives)
>>
>>336221059
>>336221638
i still find the level design to be worse than DaS. The shortcuts feel unimaginative and obvious
>>
>>336222021
>>336222001
What about Abyss Watchers > Catacombs?
Catacombs doesn't have a bonfire at the start of it, but the bossfight right before it does.
>>
>>336222021
That's what I'm saying though. The first one is there just because it has to be, and the second is for your convenience.

>do we really think they cared about convenience just for this one part of the game?

Apparently, yes they did, because the bonfire exists, dummy.
>>
>>336221059
Carthus bonfire is a trek away from the first Smouldering Lake bonfire.

Undead settlement has like 5 or 6 bonfires, for what purpose?
>>
Never mind the bonfire how the fuck did they mess up and keep that corpse blinking in front of the archives there. That's lazier than the ash placement on lorithics throne
>>
>>336222001
>>336222021
>>336222119

Or Dancer > Lothric Castle/Oceiros' area.
This consistency obviously doesn't exist everywhere so it isn't an unwritten rule.
>>
>>336222178
Undead Settlement bonfire placement is perfect though, with the exception of the first one on the destroyed bridge bofore the portcullis. That one was a bit redundant.
>>
File: 1450108338164.gif (1 MB, 260x146) Image search: [Google]
1450108338164.gif
1 MB, 260x146
>that scene where you rape that serpent lady in the second bonfire

man this game was deep
>>
>>336222072
But they're the same, either a door or an elevator. How are they less imaginative? You're just used to the series.
>>
>>336221150
Kill yourself you shitposting ass, that post was meant to highlight a positive aspect of the game, you probably know nothing about the game, jump off a cliff
>>
>it's a "/v/ complains about a non-issue because they have aspergers" episode
>>
>>336222263
It's been 3 weeks and everyone's already played the game. This form of meta trolling doesn't work anymore, you mong.
>>
>>336221629
BB had the exact same thing though
Gascoigne's bonfire was right before the Chapel one
>>
>>336222376
DELETE THIS
>>
>>336222302
This is not a non-issue.
The amount of bonfires in DsIII is staggering.

I have never felt threatened when exploring a location because:
A) the bonfire is pretty close
B) I still have plenty of Estus

That latter is especially prominent in the end game phase where you never run out of it.
>>
In dark souls 1 you had 2 bonfires after the quelaag fight with no enemies in between.
>>
>>336222272
The lift at the church in DaS that takes you to firelink was a surprise for me. Also the stairs bellow the bridge near the dragon. I didn't find any shortcut in DaS3 that felt like a surprise with the exception of one door in the Cathedral of the Deep
>>
>>336222302
i think this whole show is based on this trope.
>>
>>336222414
Ignoring the boss>new area bonfires the bonfire in Farron woods? or whatever the area of Crystal Sage is called has the most retarded bonfire in the game.
It's literally a 20 second sprint if that.
>>
>>336221905
Source: the game is complete and utter garbage compared to the A-Team developed Bloodborne with assistance from Sony, and if Miyazaki had anything to do with Dark Souls 3, he has lost his spark and nothing he's involved in from this point on will be good.
>>
>>336221059
This was good. Best area in regards to this
>>
>>336222302
>a listed stat, poise, does nothing and is turned off with a binary value in the game files

Discuss
>>
>>336222414
Bonfires reset enemies so your point is moot.
>>
>>336222414
>That latter is especially prominent in the end game phase where you never run out of it.

This problem can apply to all Souls games though, especially the first one after obtaining the Rite of Kindling. Never once is there a point in the game where 20 Estus uses is necessary. Even just 10 is more than plenty.
>>
>>336222521
That's an actual issue. Congratulations on being less retarded than OP.
>>
>>336222502
B8
>>
>>336221536
Bonfires are supposed to be hard-sought respites where you can stop and spend your lifeblood if you have any. The DaS2 / Chalice Dungeon design reduces them to checkpoints, and OP's pic especially flicks you in the nose with a reminder that you are playing a game, that's a boss you just beat and you should go and level up and maybe you should walk a few more steps forward so you can teleport back to the farther bonfire when you're done.
>>
>>336222492
Or the bonfire before Irithyl > the one over after the bridge.

>>336222531
Are you a retard?

>>336222545
There is no excuse. You'd think, after so many games they'd learn.
>>
>>336222492
>half way fortress
then
>random ass bon fire in the middle of the swamp

this was one bon fire that shouldent even be there
>>
>>336222414
>late game

If you know what you are doing, you can get ~9 estus very quickly
>>
>>336220807
This actually isn't SO bad. Resting at the bonfire is part of every after-boss ritual, and before you see that second bonfire, the door is closed, and you ostensibly have no idea what's on the other side of it. It's kind of a light bait-and-switch. It's fine as you're playing it blind, it's only retarded in retrospect
>>
>>336222506
The whole game should honestly be like that though
Yes, papa g had a bonfire relatively close but one area where BB deserves praise is consistent level design throughout the game.
>>336222521
>you want varied builds? Too bad, you fight longsword now. Magic also suck. Did you rike it?
I'm so fucking tired of seeing people shit on "build variation" in BB when DaS effectively shoehorns you in to one of 3 anyway unless you're doing a gimmick
>>
DaS 1, 2 and BB all had some odd bonfire placement
>>
File: we lost bros.jpg (7 KB, 205x246) Image search: [Google]
we lost bros.jpg
7 KB, 205x246
This was supposed to be Miyazaki's magnum opus.... but instead of a masterpiece... we..... we got this piece of shit! There, I said it! It's shit!

I guess our only choice left is to go back to Bloodborne...
>>
>>336222502
Kill yourself shitposting sonygger.
>>
>>336222438
The deacon doors are the only surprising shortcut that's true, but the way Dark Souls 3 has you move through the game is quite surprising.
It took me a while to realize that the bridge I was on where you fight the demon is the other side of the bridge where you find the NPC after you kill Vordt. And in your second playthrough or NG+ after having killed Vordt, being able to see just about every area you've been that wasn't underground is pretty impressive. You can literally see everything from Castle Lothric to Irrythil from the first Highwall of Lothric bonfire.
>>
>>336222603
>Bonfires are supposed to be hard-sought respites where you can stop and spend your lifeblood if you have any.

So what would one have to respite from after making the walk from bonfires A and B in this case?
>>
File: 1462134198842.gif (606 KB, 480x317) Image search: [Google]
1462134198842.gif
606 KB, 480x317
>>336222645
>bonfire at wolnir
>bonfire in boreal just for that portion of the bridge
>bonfire after the bridge

what the fuck from
>>
I would actually play these games to the end if there was a bonfire before each boss.

Having to run back through each area every time I want to try a boss again isn't "challenging", it's just there to pad the time out and it's horribly mundane.
>>
>>336222696
Obviously, I was just referring to the most common scenario.
>>
>>336221059
Meanwhile at the end there are two different shortcuts to the same bonfire that are like 2 minutes away from each other, and no one bothers using the 2nd one because it's not even really faster.

Also the entire point of the 2nd shortcut is to make Patches show up, "tricking" you into getting lowered down to the giants. Which is worthless, because you already had to get past them to get there in the first place. You also already had access to the area he's trying to make you go to, so if you bothered to explore at all you'll never see him. The area is kind of a clusterfuck of ideas that aren't executed well.
>>
>>336222272
Because at the beginning of most every area in DS3 you will find a door that only opens from the opposite side
>>
>>336220807
There are no enemies between those. It's just a convenience.
>>
>>336222645
Are you? More bonfires don't make the game easier, they are there for convenience sake and to reduce backtracking .
>>
>>336220807
>even acknowledging boss bonfires
>>
>>336222797
As someone who's playing this game on a toaster I am completely fine with bonfire right before and after a major area.
My toaster is fine with running most things, but when it comes to loading it grinds down to a halt. Elevators are my bane.
>>
>>336222803
But there's a shortcut from every bonfire right before a boss to that boss. Sometimes it involves running and dodging enemies, but you really don't have to fight each and every enemy between any given bonfire and any given boss.
>>
>>336222771
In what case? Dragonslayer Armor to Grand Archives? Nothing, that's my point.
>>
>>336222803
>Having to run back through each area every time I want to try a boss again isn't "challenging", it's just there to pad the time out and it's horribly mundane.
The game does that because the boss isn't supposed to be hard OR that's part of the challenge of the boss. That doesn't happen with Nameless King. It happens with Wolnir because the boss is a joke
>>
>>336222803
No, that's a shitty, casual
opinion. A level is an entire area and the boss. If you don't beat the level, you don't get to progress, it's that simple.
Plus it's literally never been hard to run past everything.
>>
>ITT people that haven't played the game

The bonfire in the back is a bonfire that appears from the "corpse" of every boss

The bonfire the character is at is one in front of a shortcut to the penultimate boss, and at the start of the cathedral. This bonfire is important lore wise and gameplay wise for a few reasons:
1) It allows for a complete creative freedom of the area, the whole area doesn't have a bonfire sans the one shown in the OP.
2) It shows you the name of the area, and highlights a primordial serpent statue
3) The door to the archives is locked until you're "supposed" to be there

>>336222603
Oh they are? I guess that explains why they appear out of thin air since DS1. I didn't realize this was your game. Sorry, Miyazaki :^)
>>
>>336222876
They do make the game easier retard. You don't run out of estus flasks putting you in a fucked up position in DaS 3, because the next bonfire is always nearby. There are no endurance runs anymore.
>>
>>336222531
>retardation intensifies
>>
It's to make the game feel bigger when you scroll through the list of available teleportation locations
>>
>>336222876
They do make the game easier you idiot.
Having longer areas between bonfires teaches you conditioning, and playing carefully. Not running around liek a retard because you know there's always a bonfire nearby.
>>
>>336222072
DaS1 has level design which transcends anything that came before it or after it. I have to assume it was a complete accident or a gift given to From by alien visitors.

You will never see another game with the such tight level design and that many shortcuts between areas, without messing up the overall world design again.
>>
>>336222438
>The lift at the church in DaS that takes you to firelink was a surprise for me.

The crestfallen warrior fucking mentions the lift directly and that you need to go around a different way to get to the church because the lift is broken, how was that a surprise?

>Also the stairs bellow the bridge near the dragon.

You mean finding the stairs at all, or that there was a ladder down to the bonfire? Either way that wasn't much of a surprise either since it was fairly clear there was something past the ruined staircase except you just couldn't get up to there from that room.
>>
>bonfire just after Living Failures right in front of Maria
>bonfire after you defeat Maria
>another bonfire as soon as you reach the Fishing Hamlet
>not a single enemy between all 3
MIYAZAKIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
>>
>>336222918
>It happens with Wolnir

What? No it doesn't. In fact, that's one of the few areas where that's the exact opposite case
Run across the bridge. Cut the bridge. Skeletons die, you get 10,000 free souls, and a free pass to the boss.
>>
>>336222797

It's because this game isn't designed with the same mindset that 1 was designed with. DS3 is designed with newfags in mind with this thin veneer of difficulty over it. The Irithyll bonfire is easily explained. It's a new area and they put the bonfire to signify the start of the area, and then they put the bridge set piece up with the dog on it. Of course, if people die, From doesn't want them to be TOO uncomfortable with having to walk the bridge everytime, so they put a second bonfire after the bridge. They could have just put the one after the bridge, but then people would have to walk ALL THE WAY from Wolnir if they lost to berserk dog.
>>
File: 1449434811883.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1449434811883.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>336222876
You seem to be a little bit retarded anon
>>
I feel like they put the boss bonfires in as an afterthought, because in the other ones they would usually throw a homeward bone at you.
>>
>>336222947
>There are no endurance runs anymore.
Some of the those runs in previous games were ridiculous though. The run you had to do to get to Sif was too long. Even worse is the ludicrous run you have to do to reach the Ancient Dragon in DaS2
>>
>>336223001
Next you'll say equipment is bad because running naked teaches you not to get hit.
>>
>>336223001
>They do make the game easier you idiot.

How does the one in OP make the game easier then? It fucking doesn't, because in this case convenience =/= difficulty.
>>
>>336222947
Are you dumb? You refill your estus flask but enemies also reset

>>336223001
It's not like you can't always run past enemies. This is the case in every game of the series, dumbshit
>>
>>336222896

Is this in every souls game?
>>
>>336222947

I guess if you didn't bother exploring anything ever then yeah you didn't need to worry about estus flasks.
>>
>>336223131
>being this dense
>>
>>336221680
It's a magic bonfire that allows you to teleport and holds back the Abyss.

It's fucking magic.
>>
>>336223038
I've beaten the game and that's one of the longest that I remember. Maybe a longer one is the Yhorm fight but that's the easiest fight in the game
>>
>>336223117
I'm of the firm belief that if you beat the area you earn the right to fight the boss as many times as you want without interruption.
Just slapping a bonfire right next to the fog wall would be retarded, but putting 20 enemies in the way is just irritating and puts you off.
>>
>>336223131
Not him, but certain equipment is bad and a scrub trap.
See: shields.
>>
File: Can't step over this.png (357 KB, 372x391) Image search: [Google]
Can't step over this.png
357 KB, 372x391
>>336221668
>if there was a bonfire every 100m throughout the entire game
Have you played the game? Most of the area's are only about 200 meter runs. Places like swamp have tiny runs between bonfires if you don't fuck around with the worthless mobs.
>>
the link between Undead Burg/Chapel, Firelink and Darkroot were fantastic but the rest of the levels were pretty average in terms of muh interconnectedness
>>
File: 1406825099453.jpg (24 KB, 507x473) Image search: [Google]
1406825099453.jpg
24 KB, 507x473
>>336221059
too bad it's literally the only area in the game that loops back onto itself
>>
>>336223131
Nice deflection, you mongrel.
>>336223152
Read the conversation, I wasn't talking about the ones in the OP.

>>336223156
Are you always skipping enemies on your first run through a location?
>>
>>336222939
The only bonfires that appear out of thin air in DaS are the Lord Soul ones, whether they were intentional end-of-the-road markers or concessions to subpar design. Coincidentally, that never happens before you acquire the ability to warp.
>>
>it's a "soulsfags realize their franchise isn't le nintendo hard xd after all" episode
>>
>>336223117
I'm not talking about bossruns, though I imagine the Sif bossrun was like that on purpose because it was a PvP area. I'm talking about getting from bonfire to bonfire. Those endurance runs don't exist in Dark Souls 3.

>>336223208
Those 20 enemies are pretty much part of the bossfight.
>>
>>336223059
If that bonfire wasn't there I probably would have ran from the dog instead of persisting fighting with it. Since it was right there I could keep trying until I won without much pain.

Interestingly if you don't beat him, he'll reappear when you're under the bridge and jump down to chase you in the water. I only saw that from co-oping with players that didn't kill him the first time.
>>
>>336223191
did you not unlock the shortcut?
>>
>>336223275
Then why couldn't you get good?
>>
>>336220807
My guess is they first put the bonfire on the other side of the bridge, but then they realised it's too convinent and you can easily get to that final boss from it, so they moved it last minute.
>>
>>336223315
You're confused, I'm not OP.
>>
>>336223289
>Those 20 enemies are pretty much part of the bossfight.
No, they're just an annoyance.
Alonne's Run is one of the worst designed areas in the entire series.
>>
>>336223018
>The crestfallen warrior
By that point in the church I had completely forgotten anything he had told me before.

>You mean finding the stairs at all, or that there was a ladder down to the bonfire?
I never expected the ladder to actually connect to the bridge. It was a surprise for me because it felt I was running forwards the entire way and I was just running in a spiral

There were other shortcuts that surprised me a bit, like the door next to Havel
>>
File: 1462044842289.gif (2 MB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1462044842289.gif
2 MB, 300x300
>>336223275
Souls games are about preparation. They're challenging. They're not hard and you're just looking for (you)s so here's your drug
Also like the game's difficulty, nintendo has become a meme collapsing on itself
>>
>>336223005
DaS has the better world design in the first half, but DeS still has the best level design.
>>
>>336223296
Which shortcut? Might have missed
>>
>>336223380
>No, they're just an annoyance.

That doesn't stop them from being part of the bossfight. Bossfights in From games are usually the area + boss.
>>
>>336223451
This completely warped logic.
Next you'll say Blighttown's framerate was a metaphor.
>>
>>336223447
there's a big gate that you can open near the skeleton army
>>
>>336223005
This.
The most impressive shortcuts in DaS were shortcuts between areas, like that elevator from the church to firelink, that door next to havel that makes the link between Darkroot and Burg, that moment you discover the other entrance to Blighttown through Drak's Valley..
>>
>>336223190
It must be the same bonfire from DaS1's Abyss then
>>
>>336223234
>Are you always skipping enemies on your first run through a location?
No, but you always have the option if you're low o n estus.
>>
>>336223483
Ah yes ofcourse I got that. Even still it's the longest bossrun that I have memory of besides Yhorm
>>
>>336221150
>>336221198
(You) silly shitposter-kun ;3
>>
>>336222004
to be fair, it would make it easier on the player. dark souls IS a series known for its difficulty
>>
>>336223483
>>336223527
Well I guess Vordt is a bit long too
>>
File: 1462173211860.jpg (93 KB, 934x960) Image search: [Google]
1462173211860.jpg
93 KB, 934x960
>>336222302
>aspergers
>not assburguers
>>
>>336223524
And do what, exactly? Attract more enemies?
No one does that when playing normally. It's suicide to just run past everything ESPECIALLY when low on estus.

You're just trying to find a very specific scenario that would fit your argument.
>>
>All this guessing and supposition
The game was originally supposed to have a make-your-own-bonfire mechanic. Clearly they scrapped that idea late in development after areas had already been designed around having fewer bonfires than normal and just put fixed bonfires in all of the areas where play testers were most commonly making theirs, i.e. after bosses and at the start of new areas.
>>
>>336223476
How is it warped logic?
Almost non of the bossfights in souls games are standalone bosses. There is almost always a bossrun which during the course of the few times you die to the boss you get better at, like you get better at the boss.
It's pretty obvious gamedesign.
If there was a bonfire right before everyboss or if you could instantly reset a bossfight then bosses would be a lot easier in souls games.
>>
>>336223398
>Souls games aren't hard, they're challenging!

Stop it with that semantics bullshit. They're hard. They're supposed to be hard. Just because you know how to play the game doesn't mean they're not designed to be difficult.
>>
>>336223603
Theres an elevator from the first bonfire.

If any of you faggots think these "runs" are long, you would've fucking hated Demon's Souls. Running through levels like 1-2, and 5-1 make the run to Vordt look like a joke.
>>
File: Zepper.jpg (10 KB, 121x130) Image search: [Google]
Zepper.jpg
10 KB, 121x130
>>336223603
Not if you kill dancer first ;)
>>
>>336223667
Boss run is 100% unrelated to the actual difficulty of a boss.
A hard boss run is just an annoyance.
>>
>>336221245
Maybe there's some lore reason as to why every boss creates a bonfire, fuck if I know.

Certainly in game mechanic terms, yea, every boss has always dropped a bonfire. However, they could have avoided this issue of one bonfire being within line of sight of another if they had just put a relatively small stretch of enemy laden territory between the two. They do it with every other boss that sits before a new zone.
>>
>>336223712
>Theres an elevator from the first bonfire.
Even considering that elevator, it's one of the longest in the game. I'm just comparing boss runs in DaS3 which are all small compared to previous games.
>>
>>336223665
>The game was originally supposed to have a make-your-own-bonfire mechanic.

That...actually makes a lot of sense.
It makes sense lore-wise
It makes sense, why Embers are FUCKING EVERYWHERE (Assuming they're what you used to make bonfires)
It especially makes sense in wide open areas like the crucifixion woods, where bonfire placement was really wonky to begin with
Why the hell didn't they follow through with this? That would've made the game so much better!
>>
>>336223291

If that bonfire wasn't there then anybody who hadn't already killed the Deacons would've had to backtrack an unnecessary length just to get back to Wolnir's bonfire just so that they can fuck off somewhere else immediately after entering a new area.
>>
>>336223798
I think you made bonfires with enemy corpses or something.
>>
>>336223712

Bed of Chaos run was also cancerously long.
>>
>>336223603
There's a ledge you can jump down from, and from there you literally have to dodge two undead soldiers and you're in.
>>
>>336223673
No, there's a definite difference you mong.
The way these games are, is you learn what you're supposed to do. Your first game is your hardest because you have no fucking clue what's going on unless you're a guide reader. Bosses usually take two or three tries before they can be put down while you learn the moveset. That's a good challenge. That's a good boss. That's not "hard for le sake of hard" which DaS2 bosses in particular suffer from.
>>
>>336223876
>Bosses usually take two or three tries before they can be put down

I think you're overestimating other peoples abilities.
>>
File: Bittenfeld bullshit.png (448 KB, 633x480) Image search: [Google]
Bittenfeld bullshit.png
448 KB, 633x480
>DaS1 had a perfect interconnected world in which experienced players could skip or take alternate routes to different areas and lots of convenient shortcuts that makes different areas more accessible as you progress
>DaS2 has one hub area leading to multiple completely linear paths

>Was hoping FROM would go back to DaS1 world design
>Aside from some optional areas, DaS3 is completely linear
>>
>>336223660
>It's suicide to just run past everything

Only if you stop to pick shit up.

My first run through of the game I ran from the start of road of sacrifices all the way to the spooky fire tree's and only had to kill the dummy's who fall off the ladder and the satyrs. Most enemies are too slow to catch you unless you're retarded.

Also it took me a long damn time to find the church after I got to the crocodile demon and was told to turn around by that semi invisible wall :3
>>
>>336223923
People are bad. That doesn't change overall boss design.
>>
File: darklurker.png (29 KB, 150x300) Image search: [Google]
darklurker.png
29 KB, 150x300
>>336223876
>which DaS2 bosses in particular suffer from.
He gave me PTSD. I never managed to beat him and i've beaten everything else.
>>
>>336221059
People always seem to forget about the design of the Grand Archives as well. Easily one of the best in the game.
>>
>>336223950
>>Was hoping FROM would go back to DaS1 world design
>>Aside from some optional areas, DaS3 is completely linear
They barely had any time to develop the game. It feels rushed.
>>
>>336223975
High enough dark defense and he does chip damage
>>
>>336223975
>He gave me PTSD
Was he nerfed at some point? I neve had trouble with him. Killed me a few times, but he really wasn't that hard.
I died more times to Nashandra.
>>
>>336223950
Well...sorta.
The game IS extremely linear...until you get to the Boreal Valley. Then it's a LOT more like DS1.

Also, the underlying story of DS3 is trying to tell the direct, linear history of the Lothric kingdom, and it excells at that in a way it couldn't if it was a lot more Metroid like DaS1. It's got a definite intent to it, unlike DaS2.
>>
>>336224042
>Nashandra
For me she felt like the one of the easiest if not the easiest boss in the game
>>
>>336223950
As "hardcore" as darksouls fans may thunk they ganemay be to many of them are bandwagoning shitters thst they dibt realize the bit if casualization the game has gine trhough to please them.

Its quite ironic in an amusing way if tou ask me.
>>
>>336223950
>DaS is completely linear

Except it's not. There are several areas you can in your own order.

I defeated Wolnir before I even knew the Cathedral of the Deep existed. You can kill Aldrich before you get to the Profaned Capital.

This without mentioning the optional areas, since you, for some reason, decided to set the goal post there.

Other than from Cemetary of Ash to Highwall, and from Highwall to Undead Settlement, and Archdragon, all areas are connected. I'm fairly certain you can go from the Profaned Capital and walk all the way back to the Undead Settlement.
>>
>>336223798
They probably realized being able to 'save' your game wherever you wanted would make the game too easy.

They probably wanted players to experience certain gauntlets in areas.
>>
>>336224109
Her annoying curse shit always killed me. If you take your attention off to kill the orbs she'll just fuck you.
>>
>>336223975
All you do is run around in circles waiting for a safe opening. I actually thought it was a lot of fun, but I hated having to use an effigy each time I fucked up.
>>
>>336224164
I outdpsed her. ezpz
>>
>>336224127
Go to bed, you're drunk.
>>
>>336223950
>Linear = Bad
Nice meme. Dark Souls 3's world is more plot based. You're chasing the Lords of Cinder, basically following them along a path.
Why would the lords just run around in circles around Lothric? They're all going toward Irithyll because that's the general area they all came from.
>>
in the topic of bloodborne:
I thought the Great ones were hard motherfuckers, how come the hunter manages to kill THREE of them?
>>
>>336223779
I don't think anyone in their senses objects to bosses shitting out bonfires for lore reasons. It's an accepted gameplay consideration.

However, it's not as simple as "every boss has always dropped a bonfire."

In DeS, the piece of archstone they dropped was also the only one you'd have for the entire next area, be it another level or a straight shot to the Archdemon.

In DaS, you got an option to either play it safe and warp back or forge ahead in the form of a homeward bone.

Those were the last two games where a cautious and deliberate approach was considered in design, with DaS3 sitting somewhere between BB and DaS.
>>
>>336224289
> Discussing a from game that isn't on PC
>>
>>336223950
it's not entirely linear like others have said. After a certain point you have different areas you could potentially choose to complete. Same as Dark Souls 1 in many respects.

Das1 had locations you could access at any time, but would destroy players who weren't already pros at the game. The catacombs and londo were essentially no-go zones until a certain level. Most people went through the burg areas rang the bell, then through the zones leading to the second bell in blight town.
>>
>>336224289
Great Ones were talkin' shit like Good Hunter wouldn't find out. He couldn't let them bustas run wild on his turf, so he stepped hard.
>>
and retards here still say its harder than the other Souls
>>
File: 1457745955501.jpg (293 KB, 1200x1500) Image search: [Google]
1457745955501.jpg
293 KB, 1200x1500
>>336224289
>how come he manages to kill them?
Are you cold, good hunter?
>>
File: DkS3-WorldMap.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DkS3-WorldMap.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>336224361
1/2
>>
>>336224289
Because of his insight.
By the time you fight Moon Presence you ARE a Great One.
Amygdala is the most pussy Great One since it can be the first you fight. But once you're up to Ebrietas, Mergo, Moon Presence and Orphan of Kos you're at a very high powerlevel.

Same reason Chosen Undead can beat Gwyn. He's got a big, swollen, throbbing, veiny soul, standing at attention and gently oozing power. He's still not at Gwyn's level, but he's much stronger than he was at the beginning.
>>
>>336223798
>Why the hell didn't they follow through with this? That would've made the game so much better!

One of two reasons. Either they didn't have the time to develop something like that, since it would require reworking their level design philosophy, or they were afraid players would be stupid with it.

In the first case, a zone in DS1 was designed around the bonfire as the central point. Shortcuts led back there, enemy numbers/power increased as you got further and further from the bonfire. If they went with this "make your own bonfire" method, it could be impossible to make a level under that same mindset. Since DS1 is often praised for its level design, I doubt they wanted to screw with the formula.

On the other hand, there could have been a worry that players would be stupid with this mechanic. Imagine how many new players would come into DS3 and in the first area, place a bonfire. Kill a big group of enemies? Bonfire. Took care of that big enemy? Bonfire.

Either the game supplies you with tons of "bonfires," and everyone would complain that DS3 is too easy, or the game limits you heavily in an attempt to get you think carefully - but people still spam them anyway - and now players are stuck a third of the way through the zone with no more supplies left.

In short, it was a cool idea, and in an ideal situation it would be amazing and make sense with DS3's lore and setting, but mechanically it would just have been a headache.

Of course, Ori and the Blind Forest did it and did it well. So maybe I'm just totally wrong.
>>
File: 6239138076_8c781b5e5d_b.jpg (150 KB, 1024x695) Image search: [Google]
6239138076_8c781b5e5d_b.jpg
150 KB, 1024x695
>>336224361
>>336224687
2/2

DaS1 is a lot more interconnected and web like. I love the design.
>>
>>336224153
It likely would have been more like earning bonfire swords by killing a boss, and some area's would already have bonfires.

Like seen in the first area, you have a free bonfire before iudex, but you pull a sword out of him, and then place it in the next area, firelink.
>>
>>336220807
One is for progressing through the Grand archives,
the one closer to Dragonslayer armor is for going to the elevator SC to get to the twin princes boss.

It's actually really convenient.
>>
>>336223950
>>DaS1 had a perfect interconnected world
for the first third of the game yeah
>>
File: 1456320976155.jpg (40 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1456320976155.jpg
40 KB, 320x320
>>336220807
The farther one allows you to summon for grand archives, as seen by the fog wall that pops up behind you.

The dragon slayer one allows you to summon and use the short cut elevator to the cripple bros.

Kill Yourself.
>>
>>336224740
Got one for DaS2?
>>
>>336224889
>the twin princes boss.
More like prince and princess (male)
>>
File: DS2map2.jpg (381 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DS2map2.jpg
381 KB, 1920x1080
>>336224932
>>
You know its a good game when your argument against it is there's 1 additional pointless bonfire that doesn't even make the game easier, harder, whatever
This thread is pure autism
>>
File: spokehub.png (12 KB, 220x213) Image search: [Google]
spokehub.png
12 KB, 220x213
>>336224932
>>
>>336225027
>This thread is pure autism
Honestly people started discussing entirely different things afterwards
>>
>>336225014
I kinda liked the way DS2 did things

If you were having issues in one area, you could quite easily switch over to one of the other paths. Or if you didn't like doing one area, you could go elsewhere for a bit.
>>
>>336225014
thanks f a m

>>336225056
still trying to fit in I see?
>>
>>336225056
Basically

Now post something that simple that sums up DaS1 and DaS3

DeS and BB for bonus points
>>
>>336225104
You could do the same thing in 1 only you had like 5 paths at any given time rather than 2.
>>
>>336224740
The two maps aren't totally comparable. For one, the DS1 map includes covenants as separate "locations" on the map. The DS3 one is about progression while the DS1 map is about location connection. The two themes are similar, but there's enough differences, I feel, that it should be noted.

That said, DS1 definitely had better world connectivity than DS3, that's just a fact. However, DS3 is hardly linear just because it's not as web-based as DS1.
>>
>>336225056
This is literally DeS

>>336225104
It's actually similar to DeS if you think about it
>>
File: Master Blaster.jpg (466 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Master Blaster.jpg
466 KB, 1920x1080
>>336224889
>>336224960
More like Master Blaster
>>
File: dark 2 map.png (25 KB, 1442x444) Image search: [Google]
dark 2 map.png
25 KB, 1442x444
>>336224932
>>336224932
>>
>>336225203
this
that pic of DaS3 isn't even a map just a few areas put in order
>>
>>336225282
> retcon
> wrost boss in Souls
> only interesting boss

Which bosses are they?
>>
>>336225314
>he doesn't know what a map is.
>>
>>336225384
>Worst Boss
Ancient Dragon
>only interesting boss
Chariot. It was shitty, like all of them, but at least it had an interesting gimmick
>Retcon
The dragon in the memory that has a soul.
>>
>>336220807
on another note
im starting to have enough of these fucking gank squads/tonsofmobs holy mother fucking shit FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU
WRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
>>
>>336225202
Yeah, except DaS1 wasn't really designed to be able to go every path off the bat.

Unless you knew what you're doing, good luck trying to get to pinwheel after dropping at Firelink, or try to clear New Londo etc.
That might be just my confirmation bias though.

>>336225282
I have literally no idea what this thing is supposed to convey. Not to mention it does not match with the game at all. Have even tried?
>>
>>336225484
>The dragon in the memory that has a soul.
i don't fully remember that. Why is it a retcon?
>>
>>336223975
It was a pretty fun fight, probably my favourite from DS2. The pontiff fight was a pretty great way to expand upon it.
>>
File: 1424127619711.jpg (101 KB, 700x739) Image search: [Google]
1424127619711.jpg
101 KB, 700x739
>>336224932
>>
>>336225484
>Ancient Dragon
And they fucking did it again with King of Storm.

Absolute mad men.
>>
>>336222721
You're the only objectively correct anon in this thread
>>
>>336225484
I'd say worst is probably Royal Rat Vanguard and best either Looking Glass Knight or Lost Sinner
>>
>>336225603
Was that explained in the DLC? I never played it
>>
>>336225551
You can easily get to Pinwheel about the time you would be going to Blight Town. You can go mess around in the garden instead of the depths. Sure, some areas are harder than others but you always have more than a few options once you get through Undead Burg.
>>
File: LeeLee.png (233 KB, 569x378) Image search: [Google]
LeeLee.png
233 KB, 569x378
>>336225620
>odd bonfire placement
>objectively correct

umm, no?
>>
>>336225664
Time and space are convoluted.
>>
File: 1445695675422.jpg (25 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
1445695675422.jpg
25 KB, 321x322
>>336225724
>>
>>336220807
You will see why and you will be glad that there are two bonfires when you get to the twin princes.
>>
>>336222004
M8, lighting the bonfires would take longer and be more busywork.
>>
>>336225664
No. It was basically what was left over from the previous game director who fucked up.

There probably was a cut area between the two. You can see the volcano near Iron Keep beyond the mountains when in Earthen Peak.
>>
>>336221629

BB started dev work immediately after artorias of the abyss togheter with dark souls 3 while the B team was 50% done with dark souls 2, they've said this a million times in interviews
>>
>>336221638
DS2's DLC level design is above DS3's level design though.
>>
>>336225781
OP here. i beat them on sl1 yesterday and i couldnt give 2 fucks about having to run 5 more seconds
>>
>>336225858
This.
>>
>>336223396
>By that point in the church I had completely forgotten anything he had told me before.
So your complaint about DaSIII is you have a better memory now?
>>
>>336225863
Sure thing OP.
>>
I have more then once teleported between those 2 bonfires with out thinking.
>>
>>336225781
I forgot about the Dragonslayer bonfire and went up two elevators from Dancer, it wasn't that bad.
>>
>>336222797

Did you somehow forget what the fuck is on that bridge? the two bonfires at the edges allow you to leg it and escape the dog so he can jump at you later when you go in the water section below, you mong
>>
>>336220807
No that one, but some of the bonfire placement is fucking terrible. Like the ones after Sage. 1 area with about 7 low mobs and here you go - another bonfire.
>>
File: 1425715862013.png (45 KB, 244x252) Image search: [Google]
1425715862013.png
45 KB, 244x252
>>336223647
>Assburgers
>not asparagus
>>
>>336225921
Has nothing to do with memory. The shortcuts are just plain obvious in DaS3.
>>
>>336220938
Wrong.

Abyss watches has a bonfire after the boss then tombs of carthus after with no immediate bonfire.
>>
File: 20160501172202_1.jpg (495 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160501172202_1.jpg
495 KB, 1920x1080
>>336225928
i dont even know why i care but here, have your fucking proof
>>
>>336225471
>he thinks a map is just a few areas put "in order"

>he doesn't know what a map is.
>>
>>336225958
>being so bad you have to run past it
>>
>>336224361
>Das1 had locations you could access at any time, but would destroy players who weren't already pros at the game.
But that's what was so good about the level design in DS1, new players would follow the easiest path, get all the important items, shops, while more advanced players/NG+ players can just skip to the parts they want do to.
>>
File: dark 2 map.png (45 KB, 1542x938) Image search: [Google]
dark 2 map.png
45 KB, 1542x938
>>336225551
I played Dark 2 once and hardly remember it. Also it's a joke image.
But still, I fixed it for your autism.

>>336225579
The very first and most important event in the canon states that dragons have no souls and never can have souls.
But then you go into the memory of the dragon in Freja's arena and it gives "Soul of a Dragon"
>>
>>336226020
>Has nothing to do with memory
Except for he fact that someone just pointed out to you that the shortcut in DaS wasn't surprising because the very example you gave was told to you and your response was "I didn't remember' so how exactly does it have nothing to do with memory?

That shortcut shouldn't have been surprising to you, it only was because you're apparently a little slow.
>>
>>336226086
It's still wrong though.
>>
>>336226086
Wasn't the Soul of a Dragon literally Seath's Soul? And Seath's Soul is just a part of Gwyn's Soul, right? I've forgotten more about DS2 than I remember.
>>
>>336226171
you keep talking about the church when I've given other examples
>>
File: Map.jpg (924 KB, 2000x1338) Image search: [Google]
Map.jpg
924 KB, 2000x1338
>>336226039
So you expect someone to make something like this for every fucking game?

And by the way, this is actually a few area's just put 'in order'.
>>
>>336226212
I'm afraid your autism is incurable.

>>336226274
Seathe' soul was Freja's soul.
Which was also fucking stupid. Seathe's soul was borrowed, it wasn't his. When you burnt them up it would have rejoined Gwyn's soul, just like the Four Kings did. There is no logic, no reasonable explanation for Seathe's soul shard to split after being reborn.
>>
>>336226274
Nope. You are right about Seath having a piece of Gwyn's Lord Soul but that souls is the Pale Drake soul that the spider drops. Not the soul you get from the memory. That dragon clearly isn't Seath and his souls is a separate item.

Don' blame you for being confused though, they made it confusing as fuck by referencing multiple different dragons in relation to the Duke's Dear Freja and having only one corpse in her lair. Even more confusing when you consider that the Ancient Dragon from the first game is supposed to be the only real dragon left yet somehow the Duke Found another one to feed to Freja.

It's shit like this that makes people hate the lore in 2.
>>
>>336226353
Was that done by hand?
>>
File: dark souls 2 map.png (51 KB, 1168x1043) Image search: [Google]
dark souls 2 map.png
51 KB, 1168x1043
>>336226086
your chart has too many memes
>>
>>336226302
And you keep derailing the conversation when I counter a point so why should I bother to counter others when you won't admit you were wrong?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 50

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.