[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Phantoms in Dark Souls
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: mqdefault.jpg (10 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
10 KB, 320x180
Who thinks using phantoms in DS is "easy mode"? Personally, I think it's a very important mechanic in the game and is in no way cheap.
When a new souls game comes out I usually take the first play through and play most of the bosses and difficult/lengthy areas with friends and randoms.
Then when I have the attack patterns and I feel comfortable with the game I'll go ahead and take my second play through solo.
I'm tired of the "git gud" mentality Dark Souls elitists have. In fact, I think using co op is a much quicker and efficient way to git gud.
>>
>>336214056

Nah, phantoms trivialize most bosses, especially Pontiff, Wolnir, and Abyss Watchers.

It's literally Dark Souls' ez mode.

Co-op won't make you "git gud" it's a literal crutch from which you will learn nothing - most of the time the fights will be over before the bosses get to utilize their second phase's strength.
>>
I just wish there was a difficulty choice at the beginning that disabled coop.

Game's too easy with summons.
>>
YES, CLEARLY THE GAME ISN'T COMPLETELY TRIVIALIZED BY HAVING PHANTOMS WITH YOU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbR7MYGPR6c

Get fucked OP. Play whatever way you want to play but at least acknowledge your own shittery.
>>
>>336215142
lol @ onlyafro
I'm not sayin to have people do the heavy lifting for you. It's just a great way to get your feet wet.
I'm just trying to acknowledge the mentality of the people who say that ur less of a gamer if you don't play in the most difficult way possible. I hate that people think that if you don't come out the womb parrying phantoms in the dick and speed running DS1 with you're anus you are less of a fan of the series. people learn differently.
>>
File: skelnfgdjgboiskf.jpg (130 KB, 1176x1200) Image search: [Google]
skelnfgdjgboiskf.jpg
130 KB, 1176x1200
The DS community is just salty as fuck. They're just mad at the popularity rising and the flood of "casul" gamers trying out the game. They think they are the only ones that deserve to play the game because they think they appreciate it on a more complex level.
You all need to get the fuck out of here with that shit.
The DS community is toxic as fuck.
>>
>>336215067
... you could just... not summon people or npc's, you know
>>
File: rugrats-gifs-tommy-cool.gif (943 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
rugrats-gifs-tommy-cool.gif
943 KB, 500x375
>>336216542
word
>>
it's a fundamental, fun, and balanced game mechanic. as someone who has played every game in the series.

-it always costs a useable item or a boss defeat to even attempt a summon
-after that, the phantom's skill in all games except for DeS is a dice roll. (don't give me "muh armor" or "sunbro" shit, that means nothing)
-the bosses scales in hp for each additional phantom, but if they die, you have to finish the fight with the boosted hp still taken into account

essentially you're spending a rare item (yes you can grind depths for humanity in 1, but it's still a comparatively rate item) for a chance at summoning a decent player who will help you fight a beefed up version of the boss, with the only potential advantage being that the boss has more than one target.

offline npc summons are also offered in every game because it's part of the fun and excitment of bosses sometimes; you can try to help others, or meet players to make friends with.

if you're cutting yourself off completely 100% from the mechanic because you get enjoyment out of the game for being "hardcore," I just...dunno what to tell you. you kind of missed the point. do what you want though.
>>
>>336217061
It's not possible to talk sense into Soulsfags.
>>
>>336214056

You know whats easy mode in Souls?

Rolling.

If you need i-frames to win, you are shit.
>>
>>336217061
>the only potential advantage being that the boss has more than one target

And that's the only thing that matters you fuck. I hate that some story stuff is tied to using something that completely ruins your experience.
>>
>>336218313
Are you kidding me? The real easy mode is leveling up, buying any items, upgrading any kind of weapons or armor, using a shield, drinking estus at any point, lighting or resting at any bonfire, or getting hit. If you do any of these things during a playthrough, delete your character and start over and maybe you can complete the game the way it was meant to be completed.
>>
>>336216424
It's more than that, though.
What most people find fun in the series is overcoming the learning curve, the challenges, learning how to play, and finding out things on your own.
When you summon players to get you through the levels and look up guides, then, you really ruin your own experience.
You don't have to be 'inherently good' at video games to get good at Dark Souls.
>>
File: 1330035106735.jpg (50 KB, 562x702) Image search: [Google]
1330035106735.jpg
50 KB, 562x702
>I hate that people use a feature I can choose to not use

Fucking hell its a game. Why do you care? All it means is crap people will get further into the game and when they eventually get to invasions you'll beat the shit out of them.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.