[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong with the souls playerbase? >Demon's souls
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 14
File: flamelurker.jpg (67 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
flamelurker.jpg
67 KB, 1280x720
What went wrong with the souls playerbase?
>Demon's souls just started getting noticed
>People find Flamelurker
>There were all manner of strategies to beating this guy being figured out
>Poison him
>Getting him stuck on the bones and killing him with magic
>Grab the Purple flame shield and tank everything
Simply beating this guy, no matter how you did it, was something that you felt great about. People would get him stuck on the bones and slowly whittle him down with arrows and feel great because they figured out a way to finally beat this guy

Now if the flamelurker was a boss in dark souls 3 all those strategies would be for shitters who can't play the game. If you can't beat the boss at base level no armor, no healing with just your fists you're just terrible at the game

What caused such a change?
>>
That's what happens when a game's marketing is purely focused on the game being hard.
Also, fanbases in general are cancerous.
>>
it was a hugbox before? that's how communities work.

DeS only got popular because of word of mouth. the very existence of the community relied on camaraderie.
>>
because dark sous 3 bosses have no HP and weapons are OP as fuck. And being embered gives you a shitton more health

this was not the case for demon souls
>>
PRAISE THE SUN!!! XDDD
>>
Shit game series for shit people.
It just took a while for the real playerbase to get into it and make some lasting memes.
Simple as that.
>>
>What caused such a change?
/v/ became reddit. Hating everything became mandatory to post on /v/ because of the stereotype that /v/ hates everything.
The board is dead.
>>
>>336143021
I am listening to this right now you fucker.
>>
>>336143849
/v/ has always been like that.
>>
File: 1341604112033.png (294 KB, 987x987) Image search: [Google]
1341604112033.png
294 KB, 987x987
>>336143601
Yeah instead you could stock up on a million grass that healed you always 100%
>>
>>336143021
Demon's Souls came out in 2009. Just /v/ itself was a pretty different place, a lot less shitposting and falseflagging and what >>336143849 said.

Also the fact that a game's fanbase gets shittier as it gets larger and attracts more terrible people to it. People took the "git gud" mentality to the logical extreme.
>>
Well no, I remember people bitching about killing flamelurker through cheap means.

The hurdcure part of the fanbase was always there, it was part of demon's souls marketing day one.
>>
>>336144232
That's what newfags always parrots from sightly less newfags.

You wouldn't dare say something that retarded if you were around for DeS threads.
>>
File: 1457647930610.gif (407 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1457647930610.gif
407 KB, 250x250
>>336143021
des was console only then das came out on PC and brought all the insecure fags that had to talk down to ppl to feel better about themselves
>mfw pc gamers killed souls
>>
>people dont realize that the bosses in DS3 with their much more rapid attack patterns are meant to be double teamed.

>all the bosses with the highest attack rates, and therefore, are most difficult to hit, have NPC phantoms

>no penalty for summoning like in DS1 and 2
>>
>>336143021

People viewed Demon's Souls as mostly an RPG/Survival Horror game with some action elements. I remember people mostly compared it to Morrowind and Oblivion. The retarded faggots at Namco started this whole "hurr prepare to die this is the hardest action game ever made" shit.
>>
>>336144486
I said /v/ has always been like that, not DeS threads.

you're right, I wasn't around for DeS threads but I do remember 2006 /v/ vividly.
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 256x330) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 256x330
>>336143021
meme souls happened

>HAHA prepare to die xD
>git gud xD xD
>praise the sun AHAHA xD xD xD
>>
>>336143021
The larger the community the less tight knit and comfy it feels. DS becomes popular ergo the player base feels a little more soul-less.
>>
>>336143021

Hello ENB

Where's the fucking YouTube comments
>>
>>336143021

Someone listened to ENB's podcast.

I think he's right though.
>>
>>336143021
As a community expands this is what happens everytime. Just how it is
>>
>>336144831

The fuck they did, it was always pushed for being hardcore first and foremost. I remember because that's pretty much entirely why I avoided it the first time, faggots never seemed to discuss anything else so I didn't think it had anything else to offer.
>>
>>336145050
>>336145070
Fuck off redditors.
>>
>>336143021
people started streaming. even if a popular streamer al most never plays it the simple fact they did that one time means the bar gets raised

so a bunch of 13 year olds who cant even play the game well demand every one else stop playing it because nobody should be better than pewdiepie
>>
LITERALLY got too popular

FUCKING

LITERALLY
>>
>>336143021

Because the fanbase got bigger.

Also Demons fanbase was shit too, just a smaller piece of shit so you didn't notice the shit as much as you do now.
>>
>>336145232

If you're pissed tell that to the OP. He ripped this complaint from his podcast, nearly quoted it.
>>
>>336144831
>survival horror

Surely you're not really this stupid right?
>>
who cares? Nioh is the new hotness and way harder than any casual souls shit
>>
>>336145050

He's still afraid of spoilers and his mod got tiered of everyone shit in the comments so he had to go back and turn them off.
>>
>>336145232

OP quotes ENB's podcast verbatim you dumb nig
>>
>>336143849
Wanna know how I can tell you are new? /v/ has been shitting on every game sin e it was created.
>>
>>336143601
>can easily dupe 1 million 100% grass

yeah okay, DeS was "harder"
>>
>Tfw beat every Dark Souls, but everytime I try Demons Souls again, I never beat it once I get to Flamelurker

I just hated that stone mine or whatever it was called. Getting to Flamelurker was such a pain in the ass because of those damage sponge bugs one way or the jumping down but might fuck up and die way.
>>
File: 1453044841215.jpg (2 KB, 115x125) Image search: [Google]
1453044841215.jpg
2 KB, 115x125
DeS was the game that caused all this actually.
It was so fucking broken for people who chose to be little bitches that people still can't let it go despite the fact that, for example, mages are not nearly as overpowered and there are barely any cheese strategies these days.

Every single "hard" boss in DeS could be killed with wither magic or some sort of bug so fucking easily it took practically no effort.

Same goes for the stages. Try beating 2 with a melee build and then pick a soul arrow bitch.
Enemies take, like,10 fucking melee hits from a naturally unsafe distance but at the same time die from a single fucking soul arrow before they can pose ANY sort of threat. Same goes for a flamelurker. He turns from one of the hardest "first" bosses to a stupid bitch that can do NOTHING against a faggot who just stands there and spams r1.

When it comes to Souls games people tend to bitch about "bad game design" whenever they feel like they were killed unfairly, but this easymode garbage is ACTUAL bad game design.
>>
>>336145791
The real pain in the ass is the swamp with Black tendency
>>
>>336143021
Flamelurker gave me 0 problems on DeS, I beat him first try, now Maneater really pushed my shit, only beat him buffing my guy with that overpowered 70% dmg reduction shit lol.
>>
>THING isn't this hidden gem between me and a few others I can circlejerk about with so it doesn't feel as special and personal anymore
it took EBN a 40 min video to say what amounts to this
>>
>>336144361
I'm not defending the fact that you had to farm for grass, but you are a fucking retard for implying that running out of estus or it's alternatives has ever been an issue unless it's your first time entering the fog but even then the game often provides you with a shortcut to a bonfire BEFORE you enter.

At least it took SOME sort of skill to chew on the grass in DeS because it had huge recovery and provided no movement.
>>
Is there anyone still playing BB of DS2 on ps4? I never played the old hunters but it might be lame if onlines dead
>>
>>336143021
dark souls 2 happened
>>
>>336143021
PCmemers
>>
File: 1454456769670.jpg (472 KB, 586x654) Image search: [Google]
1454456769670.jpg
472 KB, 586x654
>>336143021
Nice original thought you had and I respect you for not just ripping what Marcus said word for word.
>>
>>336145791
There is a shortcut directly to the boss if you turn right after the bonfire. You don't even have to open it. It's also littered with messages 100% of the time so you can't even miss it.
>>
>>336146339

Old hunters can be played offline and still be awesome. You'll miss out on messages. That's basically it.
>>
>>336146339
BB online still alive
>>
>>336146492
I remember going there first and it turned out to be a series of scary drops

Died there once, went the other way and never looked back.
>>
File: 62K2mlx.gif (933 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
62K2mlx.gif
933 KB, 500x500
The community evolved, DS3 is the 5th game in the series. Add that to the fact that tons of players replay the game multiple times, a boss like FlameLurker in the newest game isn't a challenge on its own.
People expect you to have "Gotten Gud" by this point, you shouldn't need a shield/whatever at this point. Nobody cares if you killed Abyss Watchers cause some guy just did it SL1 no dodge/shield/healing/gettinghit.
>>
>>336146339
I've always played Bloodborne offline. It doesn't seem nearly as important to the experience as it is in the proper Souls games, especially since invasions are linked to specific areas and it's rare to find people to summon for all but a few bosses.
>>
>>336143021
People got gud and expected others to do the same.
>>
>>336148084
>People watched videos of how to do things, read up on guides and builds on the internet and expected others to do the same

fixed
>>
File: 1454877849324.jpg (49 KB, 893x489) Image search: [Google]
1454877849324.jpg
49 KB, 893x489
>What went wrong with the souls playerbase?
Quite literally the PC release
Anyone that played Souls before it can tell you the same
And the only ones that would say otherwise started after the fact
That's not to say the console playerbase was perfect or that all PC players are bad, but imagine if 4chan suddenly becoming Reddit
That's what happened
>>
PC port of DaS brought a lot of cancer into the fanbase, desu.
>>
China Import of Demon's Souls was truly the best time. Everyone was collaborating on the Wiki.

Once it was released worldwide and the PvPfags started making fight clubs is where it all started to go downhill.
>>
>>336143021
There was no change. Before, demons soul was played only by a small niche of shitters. Now that the series became mainstream, more people started playing it and of course there is a small percentage of those who tryhard at games and 90% of shitters. I'm sure there were multiple sl1 no damage runs of des way before das got popular, but simply nobody cared about them.

Shitters then are still shitters now.
>>
>>336144902
>implying demon's souls didn't have memes
>UMBASA
>I'm in trouble! please recommend this message!
>>
PC

Also
>literally copy pasting what enb said

At least be original faggot
>>
>>336143021
The "community" turned into elitist after DS1 PTD came out.
No matter what you do or what you say, it's only
>git gud
>lel he didn't beat that boss with that weapon at that level
>he uses [insert weapon]
>>
it got 100x better

>DeS
>takes 3 hours to get invaded/summon

>DS3
>takes 1 second
>>
>>336149543
Maybe because the game just came out?
>>
File: image.jpg (92 KB, 585x675) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92 KB, 585x675
>>336148532
I remember all the artificial difficulty threads during the DaS PC release. What a terrible time to be alive.

I think it's a combination of Bandai-Namco's terrible, terrible marketing, the PC player base, and the evolution of games media - "journalism", YouTube, and Twitch. Killing Flamefucker is no longer impressive because everyone has seen someone on YouTube or Twitch do it, or watched "10 TIPS TO KILL FLANELURKER YOU DIDN'T KNOW! 5-2? MORE LIKE RUN RIGHT THROUGH! WHERE TO FIND REGENERATOR'S RING, BLESSED MIRDAN HAMMER, AND ADJUDICATOR'S SHIELD! CLICK NOW!"

Console players have access to this shit too now, I'm sure there's just as many dark swords on PS4 as PC, but PC has been closer to it for longer.

Blame people and late capitalism.
>>
It became larger. Console war babies like to use PC as a scapegoat, but the fact of the matter is that communities always attract more idiots as they become more mainstream.
>>
Dark Souls released on PC which attracted all the elitest memers.
>>
>>336143021
>If you can't beat the boss at base level no armor, no healing with just your fists you're just terrible at the game

This is called a "strawman" OP, no one actually thinks like this and no one has ever seriously told you this. Someone told you something like not to summon an army of phantoms to beat bosses for you so you went off the deep end.
>>
>>336143021
DaS 1 was fine for a while before it got infested by MUH HONOR CODE plebs from PC

now all people care about is dudebro FC's in anus londo, thus covenants are dead.

fuck FCs, fuck honor, remove red sign soapstones from the game.
>>
>>336143021
It's shit.
People are shit.
Elitism is a part of any group that loses its niche status.
People are trying to prove that they're the cool oldfags, that they are better than others.
You can see it everywhere, not just in Souls games, it may manifest in different ways, but its inexclusive to SOuls fanbase.
>>
>>336150178
I doubt that the elitist are oldfags.
I played DeS back when the ASIA version came out and paid way too much for it and it's not great how the community has changed, but as for me i usually just shut up and see how bad the community can get, not like i can change it. If i want good threads i wait for rare long DeS threads or times when the game is more active. Because DeS are better Dark Souls threads, than actual Dark Souls threads this day
>>
File: Top 25 + console sales.png (237 KB, 2342x836) Image search: [Google]
Top 25 + console sales.png
237 KB, 2342x836
>>336146339
>Is there anyone still playing BB
Barely anyone was to begin with
>>
Streaming and YouTube's jewery contributed just as much as individuals did.
>>
>>336144902

>people liking things in the game

For shame

Seriously, calling things a meme as an argument is a fucking meme, it memes nothing as far as I can besides disliking that a game got popular
>>
>>336143021
>hurr durr I alow my opinion to be 100% shaped by ENB's podcasts
>>
>DeS community
>good
DUDE SCRAPINGSPEARSOULSUCK LMAO
>>
>>336152315
>one troll build
DUDE WHOLE COMMUNITY FUCKING GARBAGE
It's not like now where in less than a week the whole game is filled with invaders with the same fucking gear. Even back in DeS prime scarping spear was quite rare and most of the people that had them didn't know how to properly use them
>>
>>336150062
>fuck honor
Nah, dragonbros will always get honoraburu faito from me.
>>
>>336149251
You forgot all the
>sticky white stuff
spam everywhere when DaS was first anounced.
>>
File: 1359877527670.gif (2 MB, 250x220) Image search: [Google]
1359877527670.gif
2 MB, 250x220
Personally the only thing I find lame is summoning for bosses on your first play through. Everything else I don't really give a shit about nor do I think it ruins the experience. I'm pretty sure most people shit on others for summoning since Demon's Souls too, been so long but the early threads were a lot of fun. Not the shitposting spree the series has become.
>>
>>336148734
This is the true turd that fucked the series. The "PvP" faggots shat all over the variety that Demon's and Dark had because "shields are for casuals, magic is for scrubs, muh parrying and rolling".

I can play Demon's and Dark in all manner of ways effectively. I can easily have effective hybrid classes at low levels. I can be lackadaisical with where I put my soul levels because the game was far more lenient and not all about "builds".

Now, it's SOUL LEVEL 120 STR/DEX BUILD. Meet the 40 point soft cap in Endurance/Strength/Dex and roll through everything. Ignore all other attributes unless you 100% dedicate yourself to a niche gimmick "build" that makes use of the woefully underpowered magic.

With all these "hardcore" faggots around, they in typical vocal minority fashion made retarded demands and asinine statements. Hence everything other than their way to play it (baby mode rolling to trivially evade everything) has been rendered shit and virtually everything relies on you sticking to maximizing one style of play.
>>
File: 1359870481642.gif (559 KB, 300x203) Image search: [Google]
1359870481642.gif
559 KB, 300x203
>>336148734
I don't think it was ruined that early on. The souls community went to shit with Dark Souls, Demon's souls there were the occasional pvp fags who spouted their stupid shit, but I felt the community was a lot more tightly knit back then, as opposed to now where the community has just become a haven for memes. The problem is those fags who were a minority started to become the majority, and even people who were shit posting that kind of stuff eventually attracted people who decided to parrot it and then others who actually believed it. Just stupidity everywhere.
>>
Was novel in Demon Soul's, there's been 4 games since doing the exact same thing so it's not that big of a surprise.

If you got into demon souls and subsequently played Dark Souls, all of its sequels and Bloodbourne, the main way to inject difficulty into the game is probably to fight bosses naked with your fists
>>
>>336154376
I always play solo my first time around, but even back then when i was helping people in DeS coop felt different. Like they actually really struggled with the boss since the game and the controls are still new and lke you'd actually help them to explore further. Now most people i help act like i should clear the whoole area for them or clearly summon 3 phantom for their first try since the fucking boss cutscene starts. Almost like they just want to get it over with
>>
>>336143021
I actually beat him first try with a dex build. I'm not saying it was easy. It was intense as fuck, but I really felt in the zone. I was driven by my desire to not go through that level again.
Probably my favorite boss in the series.
>>
>>336151074
BB was a critical success and sold well over 2 million units which is incredible for an exclusive as well as a new IP, what the fuck is the matter with you? Online was still very active even at shitty late hours a few months ago before DaS3 came out.
>>
>having trouble with flamelurker

Beat him first try. Just dodge his shit you shitters.
>>
>>336156349
Did you beat him on your first try, the first time playing the game, back when the game came out as your first souls game?
>>
>>336143021
>Grab the Purple flame shield and tank everything
This combined with the broken pillars in the arena is the easiest way to take him out. If the pillar was between yourself and him when he started attacking, you had an eternity to munch on grass.
>>
>it's popular so it's bad
>muh sekrit club
>>
>>336145487
you are the problem
>>
>>336156948
No, it became popular and the community is now worse. It's not bad BECAUSE it's popular, the popularity just made it bad over time since it attracted elitists and all kinds of shit
>>
>>336143021
I just wished you guys stuck to 1-2 threads or go to /vg/ till the new game hype wore off. I'm tired of your pickle pee shit.
>>
>>336143021
>What went wrong with the souls playerbase
Retards who mimic and obey youtubers, e-celebs and streamers. Basically OP
>>
>>336157698
Thanks for the advice
>>
>>336156948
No, it just grew bigger and with that brought in more people. Which means more of everything. It's the issue with every game really. Shit's still fun to play, just the community is beyond fixing.
>>
>>336144440
The problem was that "git gud" has never really been anything other than bragging.
>>
>>336156948
>muh strawman
>>
>>336157986
"Git Gud" was the standard answer given whenever someone was whining about a boss being unfair.
>>
>>336158382
I remember having a lot of trouble with the Capra Demon, so I asked my veteran friends for any tips. All I got was "lol git gud"

That's DaS' issue. It's not a game, it's a way to measure e-peens. And I never gave a fuck about that. I beat the fucking Meat Circus in Psychonauts, those elitist fucks can eat me.
>>
>>336143021
nice job quoting ENB word for word in his latest podcast famalam. lol
>>
>>336158839
That's just how your friends are because they're faggots, gitting gud is just that. I always saw it as "there's no secret to this shit you just have to do better things and do the things you're already doing better."

Which isn't entirely true since some bosses have secrets and gimmicks but generally the game as a whole follows that rule imo
>>
File: thread.jpg (69 KB, 190x282) Image search: [Google]
thread.jpg
69 KB, 190x282
>>336143339
First post, best post.
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.