[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Developer went furious and blamed let's players for the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7
File: cancer.jpg (307 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
cancer.jpg
307 KB, 1000x563
Developer went furious and blamed let's players for the poor sale performance of That Dragon, Cancer. Was he right?
>>
>>336133869
>this was a real part of the game
on the other hand. despite all of these views. i guess the dev couldn't get over the fact nobody wanted to play his shit game.
>>
>>336134040
Would you rather have nothing but walking instead?
>>
no
if you make a shit """""""'game"""""""' then you deserve shit sales, it's a simple as that
no if's or but's
>>
>>336134112
id rather have nothing at all. because im not going to play the game either way. nobody gives a fuck about your son's cancer.
>>
>>336133869
Except they weren't furious. They were incredibly polite and explained that a lot of lets players didn't even link to the game. Not that anybody here actually played it.
>>
I don't recall them being "furious", or anything but reasonable about the subject. Did something else happen or are you just shitposting OP?
>>
They're not wrong.
Let's Players did kill this game's sales performance, because it shed light on what a shitty game it is.

Take any other game, any game at all, and you'll see that by-and-large Let's Players have only contributed to the overall health of that game.
>>
I'm really confused. If you wanted to make a game about something personal to you wouldn't you distribute it for free just to share it with as many people as possible? I mean you care more about the message you try to convey rather than money, right?
>>
Heh, i thought that pic was that game where you can't let the baby kill himself. I guess it's still the same premise though.
>>
>>336134484
kek

I bet you are the same type of anon that says piracy doesn't only not decrease sales, but actually increase them, and then proceed to post a video of Nail Gayman.
>>
File: 1309471679956.png (83 KB, 377x377) Image search: [Google]
1309471679956.png
83 KB, 377x377
Hear the game was sad, all for emotional rollercoasters.
See the price tag of 20 bucks.
Check to see how long the game is.
...1-2 hours.
Go to youtube and watch a letsplay of the exact same content because skeptical of how good the "game" will be.
>my athiest as fuck face when RELIGION RELIGION RELIGION RELIGION
Glad I did not buy game. Wasn't even all that sad.
>>
>make shitty meme game
>nobody wants to actually play it
>>
Should've made the game actually fun then.
>>
>>336133869
Sure
I see entire groups of people just watching LPs rather than actually playing the games, I know there probably was only a 50% they'd even play the game but that's still some lost sales and the devs get nothing in return
>>
>>336134834
>>336134963
>expecting a game about child cancer to be fun
>meme game
>>
>>336134314
>not linking game
>nigga forgets Google exists for those interested.
>>
Let's plays is the new piracy
>>
>>336133869
I never saw any gameplay and never planned on buying it to begin with because it looked boring, so no.
>>
>>336135272
>implying kids today would even take the time to google
>>
>>336133869
That's the game trying to make profit of a dead son?
>>
>>336134185

This is still more of a game than Telltale "games".
>>
>>336134683
Nice Meme!
>>
File: 1461035197085.jpg (36 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1461035197085.jpg
36 KB, 720x960
If you're worried about people watching youtubers play your game instead of buying and playing your game, you should strive to design compelling gameplay that people actually want to play after the see it.
>>
Phil Fish had a great idea that ad revenue from a let's play should be shared between the let's player and the developer of the game. Similar to the paid mods business model on Steam when the creator shares a cut with the company that developed the game. Personally I think that let's players are a bunch of thieves that pretty much get rich from something that they don't even own.
>>
>>336134715
Enjoy hell.
>>
>>336133869

Nope, because making a game about your kid dying of cancer is a really hard sell, even more so when your game has no actual gameplay.
>>
>>336135763
Check the OP image.
>>
>>336135657
it's hard to make one child when you're a cuck looking tumblr autist with 1960 betafags glass, better try to make a dollars or two than having sex again

>ib4 it was his wife son
>>
File: 131271131417.png (135 KB, 597x432) Image search: [Google]
131271131417.png
135 KB, 597x432
>>336135704
>>
File: 7lZwLKc.jpg (85 KB, 511x606) Image search: [Google]
7lZwLKc.jpg
85 KB, 511x606
>>336134683
>then proceed to post a video of Nail Gayman.
>shitting on Niel

Too far anon
>>
>>336135121
>kid fighting a bunch of monsters and a dragon as a boss
>every run you win it gets harder and harder until you can't beat it anymore

Symbolizes how fighting cancer is hard and has actual gameplay like video games should have. Not a hard concept to come up with.
>>
>>336133869
It shouldn't be surprising that people don't want to buy a game about a child dying of cancer. Especially with how it looks.
>>
I'd play it if it was a beat 'em up.
>>
>>336135717
Hey Phil
>>
Maybe casuals are starting to realize that if the gameplay isn't the selling point in the first place, why buy or even "play" the game?
>>
>>336135116
>why was flappy bird sucessful

The money you'll win with this amount of media coverage far exceeds those few sales you're going to miss, provided your game isn't absolute, irredeemable trash.
>>
>>336136293
WHAT THE HELL

HOW DID HE NOTICED IT WAS ME

WHAT THE HELL, HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW
>>
>>336136387
To experience something you wouldn't be able to experience otherwise.
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 230x200) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 230x200
>Dude makes a shitty game of his dying son instead of spending time with his dying son
>Game sells poorly
>Gets mad
>Makes a movie of making a game of his dying son in a desperate attempt to make some cash

If the game is a tribute to his son, then why the fuck is he worried about the money it makes?
>>
Good games I see someone play and go "man I want to play that".

If people feel they experienced all there is to experience from watching someone else play the game, it's probably not a good game.
>>
>>336134683
>I bet you are the same type of anon that says piracy doesn't only not decrease sales, but actually increase them, and then proceed to post a video of Nail Gayman.

how are those related
>>
>>336134683
>let's plays are piracy
kys retard
>>336136809
They aren't
>>
>That Dragon, Cancer
>game does not contain a single dAragon

Why is this allowed?
>>
>>336137383
Too deep for you.
>>
>>336135717
lp provide a service. also by yore logic all news sites/places that provide any info on a subject(ie wikipedia) and the like should share profits with the subjects they cover.

wanna rethink this idea m8?
>>
>>336135850

I keep my statement.
>>
>>336133869
no he should kill himself to be honest
>>
>>336136501

Why would I want to experience the loss of a kid to cancer? Through a poorly made game?

I can experience that shit everyday on the news, on hospitals all over the world, etc.
>>
>>336135982

Yeah but that requires actual game design and effort though. It's far too "videogamey" for today's audience.
>>
>>336138660
>implying a kid dies to cancer every day

Man, you must be really edgy to have such a stilted worldview.
>>
>>336139873

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/childrens-cancers

>252 children died of cancer per year just in the UK

Dude, children die of cancer everyday all over the world, you must have a really pink-tinted worldview to think otherwise.
>>
>>336141172
There are more days in a year than 252, retard.
>>
File: 473.jpg (9 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
473.jpg
9 KB, 318x159
>>336134715
>TFW can't be openly atheist anymore because reddittards and contrarian 4chan going on the opposite side of the spectrum.
>>
>>336137315
>kys
I want underaged leafy fans out of this fucking board
>>
Fun facts: that dragon cancer, despite having only 16.7k sales, still sold roughly the same amount as dangan ronpa 2, and three times as much as guilty gear 2.

Regardless of let's plays, selling well on the PC market can't be taken for granted. Sometimes you struck gold, sometimes you get ignored. It's just how it goes.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.