[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm about to pick up a Wii U, pic related. Is there any
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 7
File: images.jpg (19 KB, 256x196) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
19 KB, 256x196
I'm about to pick up a Wii U, pic related. Is there any hidden cost bullshit like the Vita's memory card or essential accessories I should consider picking or anything I should know?
>>
Oh, and does anyone have that game chart pic?
>>
>>336128724
Just take care of the gamepad. And get a hard drive if you're planning on getting more games (xeno and smash in special).
>>
Wait for a price drop.
>>
No. If you want to buy games digitally, consider an external harddrive and a ycable if you don't have a powersuppplied external harddrive.

Other than that I have had my Wii U since release and I never bought a single external harddrive for it.
>>
Nope, Wii U is easily the best console this gen in that respect. No online fees, very minimal DLC, everything you need to play games is in what you get in the box.

I can't seem to find that picture I took of my Wii U collection, but it's my personal opinion that Mario Maker is the best game this decade. That game will NEVER get old.
>>
The only digital game I'd like would be Fatal Frame, I'll pick up a 500 GB.

>>336128963
I've been waiting for a price drop for a year anon. I've been wanting a Wii U for forever, I'll gladly eat the fifty or hundred dollars to get to play it sooner.
>>
>>336128724
yes the cost you wasted on this garbage when nx is going to come out with the same games and more
>>
>>336128724
no hard disk
no normal controller
the games are expensive
no ethernet slot
>>
>>336128724
it's dead, nintendo is no longer support it.
>>
DON'T FUCKING DO IT, OP

KART AND SMASH ARE MEDIOCRE, FLAWED ENTRIES
AND THAT'S ALL IT HAS
>>
>>336129965
That's a year away anon.
>>
>>336128724

Only hidden cost, I'd say, would be investing in a Pro Controller to make a lot of the games a lot more comfortable to play. The gamepad is fine, but it's very fatiguing when you're playing a game for more than an hour.
>>
>>336130535

But Bayo 2, Splatoon, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Maker and Wonderful 101 are all great, Smash is too but I guess its debatable.

Personally I wouldn't recommend getting any console this generation they're kind of not great, but if you have to get one, WiiU is the obvious choice since it actually has games and does things that can't just be done on a PC better.
>>
>>336130949
It has some mixed reception, it's worth picking up?
>>
>>336130535
I'm also one of the people that was disappointed with Smash 4 for it's lack of bonus content, but if you're in it purely for fighting other people, it won't be a big deal.

And assuming your standard for these games is previous entries in the series because you say "flawed entries", I think you're entirely wrong on Mario Kart 8. Unless you're a MK64 purist, MK8 is easily the best one in the series and probably has some of the best value DLC I've ever seen in a game.
>>
File: 1365146096228.jpg (43 KB, 500x489) Image search: [Google]
1365146096228.jpg
43 KB, 500x489
here's a better question. how do i get rid of my wii u?
>>
>>336128724
Good choice anon, Bought the exact same a month or so ago. Ordered a Hori screen protector recently.
>>
>>336131258

The pro controller? Absolutely. Such a comfy bastard of a controller.
>>
If you want to get lots of digital games, you need an external harddrive. That's the closest thing to a hidden cost I can think of, but to be fair it's not like the meager internal memory is hidden, plus you don't need a proprietary one that's 4x more expensive than it has the right to be.
>>
>>336131030
>Mario Maker
Not enough level types
>>
>>336130535
MK8 has the best music, track design, controls, online, and item balance of the series. Only rosterfags say it's bad (lol @ caring that much about the roster, this isn't Smash Bros they all play the fucking same)
>>
>>336130535

Mario Kart 8 is the best Mario Kart
>>
File: 1_800_THIS_NIGGA.jpg (26 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
1_800_THIS_NIGGA.jpg
26 KB, 600x375
>>336131702
For some quick keks:

http://kotaku.com/5944586/i-hate-the-wii-u-pro-controller
>>
>>336130063
No moving parts
Pro controller
I see what you mean
Wii LAN Adapter
>>
IMO the only reason to get a Wii U "right now" is if you want to play Mario Kart 8, Smash and Splatoon, because online will be dead once the NX comes out. Now is the only chance you have of playing these games with an active online community. If you're only interested in single player games like Bayo 2 or Zelda then it's best wait until the Wii U's price has dropped to $100.
>>
>>336128724
maybe pick up a 64 GB USB or something, the games aren't too size intensize, but the on-console memory size is still gonna fall short.

as everyone else is saying, Pro controllers are sold separate, but aside from that, you'll be pretty much covered.
>>
>>336132227
"Online will be dead" whered the proof?
>>
>>336128724

I'd recommend a Pro controller and the GCN adapter if you plan on playing Smash Bros.

But everything you need to get playing is in the box.
>>
>>336132407
anon's just fearmongering because of the Online for the Wii and DS being shut down like two years ago

which would mean, at worst, like two years into the NX's release, they might do something like that.
>>
>>336132407
Smash might survive if NX gets a port and unites the online. When MK9 comes out, MK8 will get very little play most likely. Same for Spla2n
>>
File: 1457815507050.png (682 KB, 835x657) Image search: [Google]
1457815507050.png
682 KB, 835x657
>>336132024
>tfw my fiancée always gets the one pro controller we have for multiplayer games
>mfw I'm so used to the Wii U Gamepad that the pro controller feels weird and small in my hands
>>
>>336132517
No it's not about that, that was a different situation. The company they got to handle the servers shut down. On WiiU and 3DS it's Nintendo run so they can keep it running longer. It's more about people migrating over to the new entries on the new system, especially when you factor in that the WiiU isn't the best selling console so it would take relatively little time for the userbase to move over
>>
>>336132679
yeah but even if it's not the best selling nintendo console, it doesn't mean they're gonna release Mario Kart 9 and Smash 5 within two years or something, if anything, Nintendo's got one of the longest cycles between games and sequels in the same franchise.
>>
>>336132884
Most people are not expecting Smash 5 on NX, just a port of Smash 4, since it was released so recently (in terms of Smash/Nintendo entries). So it's a question of whether or not they unite the online with WiiU. I think they might, just as a small sign of goodwill to WiiU owners, but I don't know if there are reasons that might not be possible. I could see MK9 within 2 years personally.
>>
>>336133065
eh, Smash 4 on NX might just be a 'GOTY' type edition of the game, with all the DLC characters and stages pre-packaged, same for Hyrule Warriors if they move that one up, too.

but, if they are already working on SMash 5, all I can think is that Bandai Namco /really/ loved making 4.
>>
>>336132517
>>336132679
btw every wii and DS game had hardcoded SSL certificates that expired in 2015
right now nintendo wi-fi connection would be dead even if gamespy wasn't
so it only depends on if nintendo did something similarly retarded for the wii u
>>
>>336133406
can you explain what this means i don't know shit about networking
>>
>>336128724
You're going to need an external HDD, its not even really an option since a few updates and one good deal will put you over
While your at it go grab the humble bundle and get a few games
>>
>>336133406
if the Wii and DS ones were hardcoded for 2015, that'd mean the Wii U and 3DS would likely have 2020 on theirs.

it's roughly 7-8 years after launch and all.
>>
>>336133529
> its not even really an option since a few updates and one good deal will put you over
What? I have all the major WiiU games and lots of eShop games and I'm not over. It's only absolutely necessary if you get retail games digitally.
>>
>>336128724
the pro controller. it's $50 but i think a much better experience playing a lot of games as opposed to with that huge ass pad
>>
>>336133519
the wi-fi connection servers checked for a file in the game before connecting to you so that all your traffic would be secure
that file stopped working sometime in 2015 by way of how it was designed
that means you would've been fucked six ways from sunday unless they reprinted literally every wii and DS game that had online multiplayer to use a new file that would also someday expire
gamespy's demise just accelerated things
>>
File: 1462032257408.jpg (3 MB, 4928x1224) Image search: [Google]
1462032257408.jpg
3 MB, 4928x1224
I would recommend getting a pro controller,
aslo a wiimote if you want to play wii games, you can get a cheap refurbished wiimote from nintendos website if you don't already have one

the battery for the gamepad doesnt last too long, you can buy a better one if you really want to but I just plug it in it's really not a huge issue for me personally

I really like the wii u but I understand it's not for everyone
>>
>>336131392
>>336131946
>>336131956
Battle Mode is gimped, you can't see fuck all in front of you because of the camera angle, 200cc was not balanced out just slapped on as an afterthought, more METAL MARIO imbalance and bullshit, the Parts are so complicated and boring that it drives potential players away, Battle Mode is gimped as shit, you can get hit in midair oftentimes resulting in 2 hits AND Red Shells magically follow you, Firehopping in Time Trials, the menus and approach are still sterile and lifeless as shit,

I appreciate the jazz, the other IP's, the graphics, and the turn radius, but seriously, even MK64 is more fun than this.
>>
>>336133672
All it takes is one large game to knock you off and usually there's a sale or promo where you end up with a game and next thing you know you're bumping off shit to make room.
>>
>>336129268
Why not a refurbished model from Nintendo for 200?
>>
>>336131946
i wish battle mode was in arenas instead of courses
other than that i fucking love mario kart 8
>>
>>336134217
I agree with everything here. Battle Mode alone is so fucking shit I cannot believe they fucked it up so fundamentally

MKDS still best MK
>>
>>336128724
As much as the Pro controller is COTY, you don't really need it. But you'll realize by yourself that the gamepad isn't as unconfortable as many people say.
So no, there is no bullshit plus expense like the Vita.
>>
The only thing I am going to tell you is not to buy Splatoon since the online is dead in NA and I do not see the appeal of such a braindead shooter.
>>
>>336128724
no hidden cost bullshit, everything you need is in the box

get Tropical Freeze
>>
>>336129183
Dude almost every Nintendo 1st party has dlc. How is that minimal? It also has the worst online of any console
>>
>>336134474
>online is dead in NA
Played it yesterday with plenty of Americans though the japs are more fun honestly
>>
>>336131030
I haven't played splatoon, but mario maker isn't good, it's bad, and you can get a better experience on pc. Really the only Nintendo games I really liked were Bayonetta and smash
>>
>>336134563
silly me, I forgot that Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, and Smash were the ONLY games to come out for the WIi U
>>
>>336128724
It doesn't come with a sensor bar, so if you wanna use a Wiimote for Wii games, you'll need to buy a cheap sensor bar on eBay.

That's about it, really.
>>
>>336134563
>Dude almost every Nintendo 1st party has dlc.
Not really, but a lot of them do.
>>
>>336131030
>>336130535

Xenoblade X is the best console game this generation, even with its flaws.

Of course, this is mostly because the standard has been lower than usual. But it's still a great game.
>>
>>336128724
Nintendo games stay $60 for YEARS
It's some price control bullshit is what it is
>>
Why didn't Nintendo open up new attractions in Nintendo Land as free updates every year or so? It's the sort of thing they did with Splatoon and Mario Maker and it would have helped remind people of the Wii U's capabilities.
>>
>>336134907
>>336134907
it's because people don't trade in their NIntendo games

they keep them

so there's no market for used Nintendo games, so they retain their value
>>
Maybe a hard drive depending on how much of a digital person you are. Wii U's default HDD is like 32 gigs I think.

I also remember when I got mine I had to spend a bit on a wii sensor/controller setup but I got it secondhand so I don't know if you'd have that problem as well.
>>
>>336134657

I tried playing it last week and everyone was just using the same weapons and 6/8 players in all my games were lagging japs.

Said fuck it and dropped the game.
>>
>>336134657
Weaboo
>>
>>336135056
Yeah that was during the weapons update right?
That shit can be brutal
>>
>>336128724
For the complete experience, you will need:
-Pro Controller
-Wiimote+ and Nunchuck
-An external hardrive if you are a digital buyer
-If you want to play Wii Fit U or whatever you will need to buy a balance board if you don't already have one.
-SD card

That's aboout it really
>>
>>336135289

No idea if there was an update.

I did enjoy it at launch but when it's an online game and I can only get matched with people overseas with over 300ping then I just can't play it.

Looking forward to a sequel.
>>
>>336134690
Define almost. And define 1st party games, because the only 1st party Nintendo games that didn't were tennis and 3dworld.

>Inb4 super Luigi u doesn't count
>>
>>336128724
The hard drive isn't very big, that's all I guess.
>>
>>336134784
Mine came with one (EU splatoon bundle).
>>
>>336131030
Mario maker doesn't even have slopes.
>>
>>336135005
Not
>>
>>336134784
Whut you talkin' about nigga? It does come with a sensor bar.
>>
File: Top 25 + console sales.png (237 KB, 2342x836) Image search: [Google]
Top 25 + console sales.png
237 KB, 2342x836
>>336128724
>anything I should know?
Its got decent games I guess
>>
>>336128724
I'm actually excited for the next months. When the NX will be about to launch, finding a Wii U with several games for less than 200$ will finally be piss easy.
>>
>>336134784
the black one comes with a Sensor bar I'm pretty sure.
>>
>>336134330
this, just grab the system refurb from nintendo and a used mario maker, it will be cheaper.
>>
>>336135407
wii fit u and a balance board i see new all the fucking time at my flea market, its worth nothing
>>
>>336136076
>All them sports games making all that money

No wonder why EA rarely bothers to update the games other than the rosters.
>>
>>336137437
im surprised by now that new nfl years aren't just DLC. they LOVE dlc, what more is the new year in a sport but a fucking roster update dlc on a disc?
>>
>>336137260
Those haven't been in stock in ages.
>>
>>336128724
get bundle thats collecting dust with 5.3.2 or 5.4 prepatched. then play all the games for free

>b-but muh squid lolis
kek
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.