[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This game gets better later?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6
This game gets better later?
>>
define better
>>
>>336125273
Right now its just a lot of walking and pressing A on things.
And combat is not mandatory.

Do i get to fight like actual bosses or are there puzzles or obstacles that force me to use my abilities.
>>
>>336125439
No it doesn't get better. Sticker Star is absolute shit.
>>
>>336125439
>Do i get to fight like actual bosses

technically speaking, you can fight bosses the hard way.

But the game literally mocks you for doing this, because you're supposed to use real world items to make them easy as fuck.
>>
>>336125439
>Do i get to fight like actual bosses
Yes. You can either fight them normally, or use the Thing sticker. If you try the forner, though, Kersti will complain it.

>are there puzzles or obstacles that force me to use my abilities.
There are puzzles and obstacles, yes. I remember some of them, but it has been a long time since I played the game.

It's a good game, just not really good by going as a Paper Mario game.
>>
>>336125439

No.
The Game is easy as hell.
Puzzles are dumbed down greatly.
If you find the large 3d object stickers, save them, because they are eZ mode stickers used to oneshot the boss in the area you found the sticker.

After you use it, go back to decalberg and go over to the left until you reach a shop, there you can find the 3d stickers you have found and used, get them so you can just continuously oneshot bosses.
>>
>>336125847
You know you can fight them normally too.
>>
It gets better near the middle, with some levels that gave me the same feels as an actual proper Paper Mario game (Enigmantion, Chomp Ruins)

but then it completely goes downhill at the end, and has the worst final level of all time.
>>
Don't fret, everyone, Color Splash will be out soon. No more Sticker Star.
>>
>>336126023

You can if you like doing things in the most tedious way possible. Basically if you don't use the thing sticker the bosses have a annoying high defense. If you're early enough in the game you might run out of stickers and have to do the whole fight over
>>
I liked it and finished it in about 4 days.
Then it got stolen with my 3DS and I never played it again.

That being said, it just pales in comparison to the N64 game (never played the GC one, I should emulate that but I'm too lazy). Like Pokemon ORAS and Other M, the expectations were just huge and the final product was merely adequate/mediocre.
>>
learn how to form a question. put "does" at the beginning.
>>
>>336125439
Do you fight bosses? Yes.
Are there actual puzzles and obstacles that require certain abilities? Yes.

The poblem with the game is two-fold. One is the refusal to use any new characters besides Kersti (who is just this game's Starlow). Itkinda limits the plot and when you see cool shit like Mario RPG and Bowser's Inside Story it sucks when a plot is dumbed DOWN to a Mario 1 plot.

The other problem is the combat mechanic. ALL of your attacks require you to use a sticker. No exception. You use stickers, you kill enemies, you get coins you buy more stickers.

You "level up" by beating the bosses. You get more pages in your sticker book, making room for more stickers and your HP goes up. But beating regular enemies and stuff doesn't help much unless you're able to nail someone perfectly. The stickers themselves don't level up. Your attack doesn't rise, nor does your defense. You're pretty much stuck in a flawed combat system.
>>
File: Sticker Star final boss.jpg (15 KB, 290x174) Image search: [Google]
Sticker Star final boss.jpg
15 KB, 290x174
Best final boss in the series, actually.

But yes, Sticker Star gets a bad rap from less capable fans due to how difficult it is to solve puzzles. Most of it's detractors have never even played past the first world. This is why a ton of outright lies, like the complaints about the battle system (It really is just the first two game's battle system with new measures taken to prevent you from spamming your best attacks) and the claim that you can run away from every battle in the game (Which kills your coin count, which kills the flexibility of your movepool, which kills the game's pacing) are presented as being true. No one who whines about the game has actually played it!

Even the complaints about the game not being 'creative' enough compared to the first two games is full of shit .The difference here, however, is that the creativity is built into the gameplay and level design. As it should be!
>>
>>336129092
Or you could try not to be a pedantic faggot, seeing as how the point of communication was effective in this scenario, and you were relayed the proper message regardless of your autism.
>>
>>336130930
gr8 b8 m8 I r8 it 8/8.

You will surely get someone with that load of bullshit.
>>
>>336130930
This.

What made Sticker Star so good was that it encouraged exploration in each world and the bosses were interesting because you actually had to use your head to figure out how to beat them (unless you plan to fight them normally, which is also fine because they were challenging).

The problem with Sticker Star is that story-wise it's just so lacking compared to the other PM games, even Super Paper Mario. But we can blame that on Miyamoto.
>>
>>336130930

Wow, this is some nice bait.
You're gonna get someone with that.
>>
>>336131993
Yeah, that is an issue, sadly. I liked the stories in the older games, but I feel like gameplay wise, Sticker Star was overall an improvement.
>>
>>336131993

Jesus.
Did you really just agree with bait?
If the Game was good, not even calling it a paper Mario Game, it still got mediocre scores for a reason. It's a shallow game all the way around.

>you had use your head

lol

>Find Sticker
>Use Sticker

I hope you were trying to add onto anon's bait
>>
>>336125725
>>336125817
>the game fucking gives you shit for trying to play it as a classic PM game instead of using retarded cheat gimmick

you honestly can't make this shit up. Intelligent Systems what the fuck happened to you.
>>
>>336132991

Miyamoto turned away the Sticker Star beta because it was "essentially a port of the GC version"
>>
File: 1460253428195.png (2 MB, 1498x3344) Image search: [Google]
1460253428195.png
2 MB, 1498x3344
>>336130174

>It kinda limits the plot
As far as Miyamoto and the rest are concerned, a plot isn't even required. Their literal MO for PM now is "just reaching the final boss fight is fine"
>>
>>336133206
The most triggering statement ever made by humans
>>
>>336133206
that's fine. There is no need to ape TTYD because TTYD already exists and is the best at being itself
>>
>>336132991
Kensuke Tanabe happened.
He was a part of the development of Sticker star as well and the upcoming Color Splash.

We all know what he did to Metroid.
>>
>>336133693
I'd take it over Sticker Star
>>
>>336133984
MOM was all Sakamoto's fault. I won't blame Tanabe for that one. Everyone involved with Other M besides Sakamoto was just trying to diminish the effects of his George-Lucas tier "everything must be my way" attitude

the other m Iwata Asks interviews will make you want to kill yourself theyre so fucking embarrassing
>>
>>336133324
You can feel the "why are you such an idiot?" in Iwata's words.

Man, I wish he didn't have to pass so early. He was awesome. Also I really wanted to see him just freaking snap at the investors who ask stupid questions.
>>
>>336133693
People say this, but really... I think a port of TTYD to handhelds would've done a LOT more for the series than what we got instead.
>>
>>336134184
I was kind of talking about MP:FF.
>>
>>336134316
MP:FF doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't have armored Samus on the front so it's not a Metroid game.
>>
>>336134434
Pretty much the same reason why people don't consider Sticker Star and Color Splash to be Paper Mario games.
>>
>>336133324
>Plot isn't required.
>RPG.
Pick one, Miyamoto. That shit's forgivable on platformers but RPGs are plot-heavy by nature.
>>
>>336134210
Man...what did Iwata die of exactly?
>>
>>336134990
As they say in the pic, they'd been wanting to abandon the entire RPG aspects (like lvls and XP) for a while anyway. There was never any hope.
>>
>>336135068
He died of retardation through Osmosis.
>>
>>336135068
That Dragon, Cancer
>>
>mfw this game sold like gangbusters
>mfw Color Splash will sell equally as well because there will be nothing else to play on the Wii U for months, solidifying Paper Mario'a new gameplay aproaches

This was their plan all along, wasn't it?
>>
>>336135183
kekd
>>
>>336135068
He had some kind of cancer, in his bile duct I think. They thought it was done for after his surgery but it came back which is why he missed E3 last year.

Then a couple weeks later, I had gotten home from work and was checking the news and I guess what I saw...
>>
>>336135157
Is that's a worse death than Sodium Poisoning through proximity in tournaments?
>>
>>336135362
It sold like gang busters because everyone loved Paper mario at the time and heard next to nothing about this game prior to release.

Now that people know Color Splash will be the same as fucking Sticker Star you will get far less people. especially since it is a fucking Wii U game.
>>
>>336136034
Yes. Because it brought about the Wii U because he was already dying when he green lit that trash.
>>
>>336136179
It was that or Mobile games earlier. And we got both after he died. We were getting both regardless, sooner or later.
>>
>>336136090
Hopefully it will sell like shit, which I doubt, and they'll reboot it again.
>>
>>336136585
No more reboots. Screw the people who complain about rehashes. Pokemon fans don't complain about the main games being the same formula.
>>
>>336125231
No, it's a really boring and tedious game.
>>
>>336135068
the worst part is that his last public statement before dying was apologizing for nintendo's shitty E3

reggie got buttblasted and went to social media to say the consumers were wrong and iwata had nothing to apologize for and etc

>b-but we had playable games on the show floor while our competitors only had trailers!
>>
>>336136736
Reboot as in they'll 'go back to its roots(tm) :^)'
>>
>>336135087

To be fair the RPG structure of levels and EXP aren't exactly required for a game to be good. I think their inclusion in so many games now are actually a detriment.

You could probably have a more strategic RPG without levels.
>>
>>336125439
It's like love
It's like romance
-Kensuke Tanabe
>>
>>336135362
Hasn't there already been a backlash towards Color Splash?
>>
>>336137638
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2175ZyWwCzw

Look at those dislikes
>>
>>336137638
>Hasn't there already been a backlash towards Color Splash?

Sticker Star got a similar reception but it still sold a futher 1 million during its second year making it the 2nd best selling Paper Mario.

Colour Splash will be restricted by the WiIU userbase size but it should probably clear 1 million and near PM64's numbers. Mario Party 10 got the same backlash and it's approaching 2 million.
>>
>>336125231
To be fair, the snow world is fantastic.
>>
>>336131993
>>336130930
I disagree with most of this, but the boss fights are pretty great if you don't cheese them out. And there was a certain glee in that final bowser fight where you get 6 fucking slots and just unload with every bullet you have, goddamn use everything, spam all those summons and high-point moves you've been hoarding. I kinda wish more RPGs did this, just transparently told you "now is the time to not worry about MP cost and fucking use it all. go wild."
>>
File: Paper Mario Face.png (155 KB, 394x404) Image search: [Google]
Paper Mario Face.png
155 KB, 394x404
>>336132370

Not him(or even the other guy) but posts like this is why the game gets an unfair rap. To be blunt Sticker Star's puzzles are leagues ahead of the rest of the series it's not even close.

A lot of the puzzles are in the environment and require thought and the Sticker ones are lateral thinking and you never use the same sticker twice. Unlike the 64 and TTYD where you're kicking your Koopa at a floating block for the nth time or Blowing up a wall with the same cracks with your bob-omb.

It's stupid to try and criticise Sticker Star for something that Paper Mario 64, TTYD and Super Paper Mario are all worse offenders of.
>>
>>336137268
fuck off nintendo some of us still enjoy traditional video games, i don't need a gimmicky twist on every goddamn formula

paper mario games were perfect the way they were.
>>
File: Miyamoto.webm (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Miyamoto.webm
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>336133984
>Doesn't realize Miyamoto is the worst thing at Nintendo right now
>>
File: Mole_mania_boxart.png (773 KB, 640x639) Image search: [Google]
Mole_mania_boxart.png
773 KB, 640x639
>>336139945

Whoever made that video/web.m is one salty fuck. I don't think Miyamoto cares about how the games are received as long as he can work on new ideas.

A true hack would have stuck onto the Mario or Zelda series. Whereas Miyamoto actually tries new games and experiments with ideas, some work, others don't. Pic related is the 90's Project Guard.
>>
>>336134316
MP:FF looks like an alright game, nothing that terrible.
>>
>>336140678
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3J721DlKao&feature=youtu.be&t=1008
>>
stop playing that game its bad for you
>>
>>336141437
Nothing the fanbase wanted nor another demographic would adopt.

It would probly sell more if it was named Moon Chronicles Operations.
>>
>>336135087
It's because it was a new team
>>
>>336125231
It's like if each NSMB level was an hour long, it's so fucking mediocre. I guess there were brief periods where I was entertained but it's just so boring.
>>
>>336130930
One of the few serious answers I've seen ever about Sticker Star.
>>
>>336143676
And it is all bullshit.
Sticker Star isn't Trash.
But it sure as fuck isn't a good game.

Right above that post tells you everything that is actually going on in the game.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.