[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think arena fps games do have a future?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 9
File: hqdefault.jpg (31 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
31 KB, 480x360
Do you think arena fps games do have a future?
>>
They will if games with medkit/armor/ammo pickups will be successfull and sell well.

But you have to change mechanics a little so that people who used to play quake and UT way too much won't be able to dominate and will have to learn again/give some room for newer generation of players.
>>
>>336117260
I think clan/rocket arena types will make genre more appealing since you don't have to think about items and it's round based so they end very quickly. For this, i think new unreal tournament will be a nice head up since it'll be more easy to advertise UT with cool graphics and skill showing frags etc for new comers.

im high
>>
>>336117629
The issue with UT is that it's stuck in alpha and when people see untextured maps and shitty animations they just drop it.
Another issue is that UT veterans dominate the game and noobs leave after realising that most people were playing UT for 10+ years and it's really difficult to get gud (or at least decent or average) without spending autistic amount of time on it, and not that many people are that patient to play 24/7 and have 5000k hours of play time.
>>
>>336117930
yea, you are right there but i'm wanted to talk about future of it. today it is true that people are getting bashed. But again people only play duel, dm and ctf mostly. In those game types i mentioned they are fun and not too much skill depending. Instantly rewards or punished just like other single player shooter games. I don't know maybe i just want to look from the bright side.
>>
tribes or Midair will have a better shot than these shiddy arena games. they need a playerbase and then skins for weapons like in cs go. Valve needs to make an arena fps tbqh
>>
>>336117260
>>336117930
Does TF2 do anything special to help new players git gud?
TF2 is one of the last arena-like shooters and it has a shitload of people online who are actually playing the game. It manages to make new fans despite the fact that the genre is pretty much dead at this point. I'm wondering if it helps new players adjust more than other games do.
UT4 already has a tutorial. But, I wonder if having a community run server would help. A server where you can just fuck around with different weapons, and a wide range of terrain to test out movement options.
>>
>>336119471
it has a coaching mode for spectators which i bet a lot of people use

not to mention all the autists on that game are bronies and help each other out
>>
>>336119471
>TF2
>arena shooter

lmao
>>
>>336120479
I said arena-like though.
It has more in common with quake then it does with call of duty
>>
>Im not good at it right away I think its sucks and I wont buy it.

>Modern games are too easy! RNG bullshit, pay2win!
>>
>>336117930
Unreal has one of the best tutorial system with a shitload of detailed videos on their YT channel

Here is one :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmHTzbbcWjw
>>
>>336117108
Nope.

Unreal was always shit. No Quake, no arena.
>>
>>336120772
>thinking one is good and one is shit
I can tell you don't know much about arena shooters
It's ok, you don't have to try so hard to fit in.
>>
>>336120772
UT is very good you should try it
>>
>>336120772
Quake doesn't have Flak Cannons
>>
Maybe if they get their thumb out of their asses and make one with good singleplayer to draw in the casuals
>>
>>336121142
Nah senpai, Quake was always better than Unreal.

Unreal has boring guns an slow movement. Not to mention, the Quake engine was always miles better than Unreal.
>>
>>336122214
>boring weapons
Because 13 weapons with 2 firing modes each is more boring than 8 weapons
>slow movement
How? If anything it had more ways to move fast.
>Not to mention, the Quake engine was always miles better than Unreal
And now soy show you don't know anything about engines either.
>>
>>336123115
You could have a 'billion' guns like in Borderlands, but it doesn't mean shit if none them are fun.

Movement in unreal is like moving through sludge. The dodge button is literally an escape sludge button, but then you land right back in the sludge.

I know more about engines than you do.
>>
>>336123505
Tell me what Quake weapon is anything like the Bio Rifle, the Razorjack, or the flak cannon

>Movement in unreal is like moving through sludge
If you're a scrub, which is what your posts seem to indicate

>I know more about engines than you do
ok
>>
>>336123505
>The dodge button is literally an escape sludge button, but then you land right back in the sludge.
THIS

FUCKING COPOUT DASH BUTTONS BECAUSE FUCKING UNREAL NIGGERS CANT INTO MOMENTUM FUCKGING DIE ITS WORSE THAN TRIBES FUCKING ASCEND
>>
File: UE4-Win64-Test.jpg (350 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
UE4-Win64-Test.jpg
350 KB, 1920x1080
>>336117108
do people still do things for the new Unreal?

Ive made a few maps and ported over some old Halo ones but i havnt seen alot of hype around here for it
>>
>>336123804
alt fires are gay and make the guns even less unique
ut guns are less interesting because only half as many have any good use compared to quake 3 ones.
dodging about doesn't feel rewarding or fun
stuttery dodge movement in ut not only feels bad and is shallow, it promotes using less guns (hello flak shock rifle and sometimes rockets)
>>
>>336124964
>alt fires are gay and make the guns even less unique

That does not make any sense.
>>
>>336125043
their niches and uses overlap to such a large degree
>>
>>336124964
>it promotes using less guns

In Quake you literally use 3 fucking weapons
>>
>>336125289
in q3 you use all weapons
>>
>>336125443
You seem to be confusing Quake with Unreal.

In Quake 3 you use lg, rg, and rl.
>>
>>336117930
Dude, UT literally takes no skill to master. All you have to do is learn how to wall jump and double jump.

Quake 3 is where skills actually came in, because if you didn't know how to strafe jump, you didn't stand a chance.
>>
>>336124172
Tried it at launch, was ok.

It's just feel so slow for some reason.
>>
>>336126393
Grenade launcher, plasma gun.... you're missing a few.
>>
>>336126559
LEL
>>
>>336126667
And maybe if you watch every match of the next Quakecon you'll even see those being used once or twice!
>>
>>336127785
Do you even watch Quakecon or are you just spewing shit? GLs are used quite frequently unless they are just bad. PG isn't as widely used, but they are used when available if a RL or RG isn't available which are the two primarily used weapons.
>>
>>336126881
lel, kek, lol, lawl all you want. I've played both games. UT literally takes no fucking skill.

Go try playing competitive Quake 3 without learning how to strafe jump. You scrubs that try to play it like UT are such easy prey... it's so entertaining to zoom up to you guys from 200 yards away in seconds only to you to go into chat and be like "wtf fucking speed hax".
>>
>>336120610
>I said arena-like though.

>thinking the autists will spare you anal retentive nitpicking of genre definition
>>
>>336117108
No. Look at Q3 videos and you'll see those are not human playing it. You need to grind that shit for years and it's also extremely uninteresting to watch because everything is so fast and based on weird physics.
>>
File: 1434195303205.jpg (34 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
1434195303205.jpg
34 KB, 600x300
>>336117930
>Another issue is that UT veterans dominate the game and noobs leave after realising that most people were playing UT for 10+ years and it's really difficult to get gud

This. They need much clearer segregation between ability levels and a way more gentle transitioning curve.

>haven't played a UT in like 10 years
>doing ok in the beginner lobby
>after about 5 hours get thrown out for ranking up too much
>not allowed in beginner anymore and suddenly in the deep end with people who seem like they've been playing non stop since 99
>>
>>336117108
God I hope so. The standard fps like battlefield and cod are full of scrubs that are too scared to play the game because their k/d ratio might get messed up that it's nothing but camper and sniper babies
>>
>>336126573
That's impossible because the game hasn't been launched yet
>>
>>336117108
UT needs to be more optimized for toasters, it runs like ass, at least the last time I played it.
>>
>>336130545

Nigga wut

UT4 is very toaster-friendly
>>
No. People don't care about arena shooting gameplay anymore.

The last popular arena shooter was TF2 and only because it had "funny" characters, "funny" cinematics, hat trading, etc. that made people feel invested in it. If you stripped the game of all of that so it was basically just gameplay, like most arena shooters, it would have died extremely quickly.
>>
>>336129826
I will destroy you from 2000 miles away with only a fucking pistol and one hp quake players are sitting ducks. Is your body ready to be rekt yet?
>>
>>336131432
TF2 is for scrubs and edgelords who fantasize about dumb characters and hats. Just man the fuck up already and play some good UT
>>
>>336120712
Open it up, the game looks like shit. Check the video date. Apr 29th. Check video footage again - fucking everything, level, charterers, movement animation, gibs, everything looks like fucking garbage... I was told new ut was supposed to look good?
>>
>>336132806
It is but many many maps are not textured yet... keep in mind that the game is in pre-alpha

This is a finished map : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xL2rcXI698
>>
>>336121919
> Arena shooter
> single-player
You a retard?
>>
>>336132121
It's a game for fans of the UT and it's too late for people like me to get into it. Trying to catch up with people who are good is painful especially when you don't even know how to use certain weapons at all, don't know respawn timers and don't even understand basics of movement.
I don't really want to spend thousands of hours to be able to call myself 'decent but still scrub' and force myself to play it and practice even when i don't want to.

I'd rather wait for something completely new.
>>
>>336133721

There are loads of new players when I play. The beginner lobbies are perfect for you, just try to memorize the shield belt and armour locations + times and you will survive more than the average player at least.
>>
>>336117108

Bumping this thread just to shill UT4. Download it, niggers. It's free as in beer.

>bio rifle will always be shit
>>
>>336117108
yes
>>
>>336120479
it is a quake mod
>>
>>336132806
good post
>>
>>336133721

If you have general FPS expertise you can typically hit the ground running on any new shooter that comes out. Of course, every game has its own specific intricacies but I don't think previous UT expertise makes that much of a difference. I was decent at UT2004 but couldn't play UT3 for shit when it came out

If you're not enjoying it period, just go play something else. If you're new to FPS in general, maybe hold off on this kind of game for a while. You'll eventually notice there was nothing special about arena FPS preventing you from doing well
>>
>>336136376
no, TFC is a quake mod
TF2 uses source, which is a modified Unreal, not a modified Quake (like Goldsrc was)
>>
Sauerbraten, Xonotic, OpenArena, QuakeLive, Red Eclipse, etc are all free and do not have a particularly big audience.
UNless they change a lot about the formula and make it more satisfying to play I don't see them making a comeback.
UT4 is a ton of fun and I have a lot of hope for that game but I'm not sure how many people will be playing it for a long time.
Also you can't put Arena FPS on console so nobody will want to make these games.
>>
>>336136580

TFC is a HL1 mod

Quakeworld TF is a Quake mod

Source is not modified unreal. It's modified GoldSrc which was modded Q2 (not Q1 as people often state) engine
>>
>>336117108
if valve adds a deathmatch mode to tf2 without classes it could bring new people into the genre
>>
>>336137237
They already have HL2DM.
>>
>>336137237
So.. TF2C?
>>
>>336117108
did you play the new doom beta?

its fucked. its over.
>>
>>336137625
Lol Doom just a little moneygrub from bethesda with an IP they have sitting in the back.
Noone actually gives a shit.
>>
>>336137625

I did, and it was shit. The epitome of casual generic shooters, not like UT at all
>>
File: flak cannon.jpg (156 KB, 2000x844) Image search: [Google]
flak cannon.jpg
156 KB, 2000x844
>tfw this is the single best weapon to ever exist in all of gaming
>>
>>336137118

So Source is to Quake 2's engine what birds are to dinosaurs? duuuuuuuuuude
>>
File: flak u.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
flak u.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>336137839
mah nigga
>>
>mfw I discovered that the dash button could be rebound

thank fuck, to hell with the fucking fighting game input shit. Should have been bound to a separate key to begin with.
>>
>>336137839
If I was going to hell and the only thing to do was to play UT4 and I was only allowed to use this weapon, I'd probably never complyin about anything again
>>
>>336137908
and people complain D44M is slow.
>>
>>336138040
what's wrong with shift?
>>
>>336138470

UT has always been slower paced than Quake and Halo and and one of the biggest Q3 Vs UT fanboy arguments was that UT had a much longer TTK rate because it was slower. People just never noticed it till now when most of the arena DM games on the market are as fast paced as Q3.
>>
>>336138481

Was it bound to shift? I totally forgot. Regardless I think I rebound it to V since that's more comfortable.

committing sudoku now
>>
>>336138715
I think UT4 is just right.
If they are too fast you have to make rockets op because its almost impossible to hit somone with them, especially if they can change direction midair.
Also any kind of gun with spread is automaticly shit.
>>
>>336138715
I like quake being faster, but the lightning gun is annoying. A hitscan weapon should never be that strong and have global range as well
>>
>>336139130
>>336138715
Quake is fun and all, but the weapon variety is pretty bad. There are only 3 relevant guns, the lightning gun, RL, and rail. There's no reason to use anything else if you have at least two of those

In UT, every gun has some interesting niche role. The link gun is good for fast retreats, and fast pursuits. But it isn't a good combat weapon. So it has a niche role, like the bio rifle too.

In quake, the shotgun, machine gun, heavy machine gun, and plasma rifle are all irrelevant. You would only ever use them if you didn't have the 3 i mentioned previously
>>
File: 1461392916469.jpg (208 KB, 728x546) Image search: [Google]
1461392916469.jpg
208 KB, 728x546
>>336138715

>UT
>slower than Halo

Are we thinking of the same Halo?
>>
>>336139079
The rockets in UT are obnoxiously slow, but they are one hit kills. This is bad, because they are easy to avoid and stay away from, but you cannot be aggressive against them. We can see right now that hitscan guns are way too strong, not because the RL and flak do too little damage, but because they aren't usable. The other player can run away and do hitscan damage.

the rockets should travel faster, but do something like 75 damage
>>
>>336139642

I'm annoyed by how powerful the RL is in good hands but it makes no sense for it to not be a one-hit kill against a player with base health and armor, if it weren't they would absolutely have to buff it in some other way to compensate
>>
>>336139642
Yes, they need to be faster but nerfed
>>
>tfw skyboxes are kill
>>
>>336139903

Is this in the actual game map?

For what purpose?
>>
>>336137839
Halo ripped it off without the grenade alt fire.
>>
Installed ut4 after not touching it since ut99, instagib is still amazing.
And to everyone worried about it not being noob friendly, I've only being back on pc games 2 month after 10+ years away and I managed a few top3 rounds.
>>
>>336139903
Doesn't this kill the maximal depth?
>>
>>336140163

I don't know where people get off saying that it's only for SO HARDCORE ARENA FPS VETS. It's the first UT I've ever played and I'm doing fine as well. If you like shooters, you can manage.
>>
>>336140080
Because it causes no hit to the performance at all.

Facing Worlds has a whole fucking full scale planet in it's skybox.
>>
I actually thought the doom 4 multiplayer wasn't that bad if the movement wasn't so slow, which can be fixed with mods
>>
>>336139903
holy shit what
its like the entire game world is being sucked into a black hole
>>
File: 1461726187275.jpg (132 KB, 1213x750) Image search: [Google]
1461726187275.jpg
132 KB, 1213x750
>>336140449
>doom 4
>mods
>>
>>336138470
>>336138715

UT has always been slower than Quake, but it has lots of advanced movement options to get you across distances quickly. Or well, at least UT2004 did.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.