[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Being totally honest, what are your thoughts about gaming on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: Ubuntu.png (56 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
Ubuntu.png
56 KB, 420x420
Being totally honest, what are your thoughts about gaming on Linux future?
>>
the no-games system that sony decided to use for their no games 3 and no games 4
>>
>>336112336
It'll to continue to rise at a very slow pace, I don't expect it to be significant for at least another 5 to 10 years.

Although distros like Ubuntu make using GNU/Linux much easier for the uninitiated, the majority of people are still scared of it because they're so used to using something which just werks™ (Windows & Mac).

It'd take many massive fuckups by Microsoft to kickstart gaming on GNU/Linux.
>>
>>336112336
>gaming

kill yourself
>>
>>336112336
I hope it never happens
The last thing gahnoo+leenox needs is more paid, closed-source software.
>>
Gaming on PC is fucking retarded and heading down the fucking worse road possible. Handhelds are the only ones that are doing well in the being good department. The new consoles are going fucking crazy with paying to play online and the no games.
>>
Will never reach mainstream but will still continue to grow due to Vulkan and AMD's open source initiatives, among other things.
>>
well, windows is sinking, so I guess everyone will jump ship to Linux.
>>
File: 1445200033612.jpg (8 KB, 296x296) Image search: [Google]
1445200033612.jpg
8 KB, 296x296
>>336113001

Why do I even come to /v/ anymore...
>>
It'll get slightly better in the coming years thanks to Vulkan. PlayOnLinux is still one of the best ways to play certain Windows-only games on Linux.
>>
>>336112336
It would be really good if Nvidia or AMD would just open source their drivers.
>>
I obviously want it, but it's not going to happen. And being locked out of all previous PC games outside of shoddy emulation via Wine is shit.
>>
>>336113356
Wine typically runs old Windows game much better than new version of Windows.
>>
As a programmer I love Linux, programming on it is great and intuitive and free. As a gamer I wouldn't touch Linux for another 5 years probably.
>>
>>336113316
I don't know about Nvidia, but there is an open source driver for AMD cards (even though it's not developped by AMD). But yeah, efforts would be nice.
>>
>>336113316
I think you mean Nvidia senpai
AMD's been open source for a while
>>
I hope it's going to happen one day. I began using Ubuntu a few weeks ago, I find it really pleasant to use.

The touhou games runs flawlessly on wine though, it's great.
>>
>>336112336
I don't think it has a future, personally.
Then again, it's possible that I just don't use it.
>>
It's nice to see that a lot of devs are making the effort to port their games to Linux these days, but there's a big chunk of PC games that will forever be restricted to Windows, and only accessible through emulation.
>>
>>336112336
By now Valve could have made a serious push for gaming on Linux but I don't think they have the technical ability. The things they've created for Linux (SteamOS) is pretty lackluster. Even their client is pretty shit. I think Valve's strengths are in creating global systems and managing them, not in software per se.

They've been sitting on their ass for so long that now Windows 10 is free, has far better driver support, has a competing store platform (Windows Store), etc... not looking good. I'm really disappointed because I hate Microsoft and wanted Valve to succeed in this space.
>>
>>336113874
>has a competing store platform (Windows Store)
Everyone fucking hates the Store (and by extent UWP) though.
>>
>>336113524
why is that?
>>
>>336113929
Just like how Steam used to be. Microsoft has unlimited resources to throw at the problem.
>>
>>336113982
They're gonna have to change the mentality of the entire playerbase. Steam is the only client worth giving a shit about in most people's mind.
>>
Personally I like it as an interface but it just no good for gaming and will take at least 10 years to get games as Microsoft haven't quit making OSs just yet.
>>
>>336115771
Honestly I think if you don't play games very often, Linux is a great alternative to Windows for other tasks.
>>
>>336115987
Some distros of Linux certainly are. This is the trouble, Joe Sixpack isn't going to know which distros those are.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.